stm32f4 discovery board?

Roger Critchlow Roger Critchlow

stm32f4 discovery board?

Greetings eLua developers.

I just received an STM32F4 Discovery board, http://www.st.com/internet/evalboard/product/252419.jsp, and while trolling the internets for open source, linux based development tools I came upon eLua.  It seems that with 1Mbyte of flash and 192kbytes of RAM and priced at US$19.50 this ARM Cortex-M4 board might be a reasonable candidate target board for eLua, but I'm working from a very sketchy understanding of eLua.  Is it a reasonable target for eLua?

Many thanks,

-- rec --

Tim Michals Tim Michals

Re: stm32f4 discovery board?

I think so.  So far I got the demo to compile on Linux using codesourcery.  Need to load and go from there...

I just received an STM32F4 Discovery board, http://www.st.com/internet/evalboard/product/252419.jsp, and while trolling the internets for open source, linux based development tools I came upon eLua.  It seems that with 1Mbyte of flash and 192kbytes of RAM and priced at US$19.50 this ARM Cortex-M4 board might be a reasonable candidate target board for eLua, but I'm working from a very sketchy understanding of eLua.  Is it a reasonable target for eLua?

Many thanks,

-- rec --

Thiago Naves Thiago Naves

Re: stm32f4 discovery board?

Sounds interesting. Also great price.

On Wed, Oct 12, 2011 at 11:50 PM, Tim michals <[hidden email]> wrote:
I think so.  So far I got the demo to compile on Linux using codesourcery.  Need to load and go from there...

I just received an STM32F4 Discovery board, http://www.st.com/internet/evalboard/product/252419.jsp, and while trolling the internets for open source, linux based development tools I came upon eLua.  It seems that with 1Mbyte of flash and 192kbytes of RAM and priced at US$19.50 this ARM Cortex-M4 board might be a reasonable candidate target board for eLua, but I'm working from a very sketchy understanding of eLua.  Is it a reasonable target for eLua?

Many thanks,

-- rec --

Re: stm32f4 discovery board?

Hello,

On Thu, Oct 13, 2011 at 3:44 AM, Roger Critchlow <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Greetings eLua developers.
> I just received an STM32F4 Discovery
> board, http://www.st.com/internet/evalboard/product/252419.jsp, and while
> trolling the internets for open source, linux based development tools I came
> upon eLua.  It seems that with 1Mbyte of flash and 192kbytes of RAM and
> priced at US$19.50 this ARM Cortex-M4 board might be a reasonable candidate
> target board for eLua, but I'm working from a very sketchy understanding of
> eLua.  Is it a reasonable target for eLua?

If you ever come to Romania, please let me know. I owe you a great
amount of beer (or whatever your favourite drink is) for letting me
know about this board. To answer your question, it is an _excellent_
eLua target. 192k of internal RAM in a MCU is a dream come true for
me. I will end this e-mail now because I have to order one. Thanks
again.

> Many thanks,
> -- rec --

Re: stm32f4 discovery board?

... already added to the Other Kit Candidates at http://wiki.eluaproject.net/Boards

Thank you Roger !!!

On Thu, Oct 13, 2011 at 03:50, Bogdan Marinescu <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hello,

On Thu, Oct 13, 2011 at 3:44 AM, Roger Critchlow <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Greetings eLua developers.
> I just received an STM32F4 Discovery
> board, http://www.st.com/internet/evalboard/product/252419.jsp, and while
> trolling the internets for open source, linux based development tools I came
> upon eLua.  It seems that with 1Mbyte of flash and 192kbytes of RAM and
> priced at US$19.50 this ARM Cortex-M4 board might be a reasonable candidate
> target board for eLua, but I'm working from a very sketchy understanding of
> eLua.  Is it a reasonable target for eLua?

If you ever come to Romania, please let me know. I owe you a great
amount of beer (or whatever your favourite drink is) for letting me
know about this board. To answer your question, it is an _excellent_
eLua target. 192k of internal RAM in a MCU is a dream come true for
me. I will end this e-mail now because I have to order one. Thanks
again.

> Many thanks,
> -- rec --

Roger Critchlow Roger Critchlow

Re: stm32f4 discovery board?

You're most welcome, and I will do my best to collect that debt from Bogdan!

The next question is how hard?  I'm getting the impression that the basics won't be hard at all.  Because the M4 is basically an M3 with a few extra instructions, all the essential MCU housekeeping is carried over from the M3.  And because the board has hardly anything on it but header pins, the initial pin configuration could set nearly everything to gpio.  And anything that's already working for other STM32 boards (USART, CAN, I2C, SPI, ADC, DAC) probably works on this board once the pins are mapped and configured correctly.

Thanks,

-- rec --

On Thu, Oct 13, 2011 at 8:57 AM, Dado Sutter <[hidden email]> wrote:
... already added to the Other Kit Candidates at http://wiki.eluaproject.net/Boards

Thank you Roger !!!

On Thu, Oct 13, 2011 at 03:50, Bogdan Marinescu <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hello,

On Thu, Oct 13, 2011 at 3:44 AM, Roger Critchlow <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Greetings eLua developers.
> I just received an STM32F4 Discovery
> board, http://www.st.com/internet/evalboard/product/252419.jsp, and while
> trolling the internets for open source, linux based development tools I came
> upon eLua.  It seems that with 1Mbyte of flash and 192kbytes of RAM and
> priced at US$19.50 this ARM Cortex-M4 board might be a reasonable candidate
> target board for eLua, but I'm working from a very sketchy understanding of
> eLua.  Is it a reasonable target for eLua?

If you ever come to Romania, please let me know. I owe you a great
amount of beer (or whatever your favourite drink is) for letting me
know about this board. To answer your question, it is an _excellent_
eLua target. 192k of internal RAM in a MCU is a dream come true for
me. I will end this e-mail now because I have to order one. Thanks
again.

> Many thanks,
> -- rec --

Re: stm32f4 discovery board?

On Thu, Oct 13, 2011 at 6:00 PM, Roger Critchlow <[hidden email]> wrote:
> You're most welcome, and I will do my best to collect that debt from Bogdan!
> The next question is how hard?  I'm getting the impression that the basics
> won't be hard at all.  Because the M4 is basically an M3 with a few extra
> instructions, all the essential MCU housekeeping is carried over from the
> M3.  And because the board has hardly anything on it but header pins, the
> initial pin configuration could set nearly everything to gpio.  And anything
> that's already working for other STM32 boards (USART, CAN, I2C, SPI, ADC,
> DAC) probably works on this board once the pins are mapped and configured
> correctly.

I have the same impression. The core is not that different and I don't
see why they would change their peripheral silicon implementation
(although I didn't check this yet).
I didn't order a board yet, I'm still trying to find a suitable
distributor in Europe. It's quite new though and this isn't easy.

> Thanks,
> -- rec --
> On Thu, Oct 13, 2011 at 8:57 AM, Dado Sutter <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> ... already added to the Other Kit Candidates at
>> http://wiki.eluaproject.net/Boards
>>
>> Thank you Roger !!!
>>
>> Best
>> Dado
>>

>> On Thu, Oct 13, 2011 at 03:50, Bogdan Marinescu
>> <[hidden email]> wrote:

>>> If you ever come to Romania, please let me know. I owe you a great
>>> amount of beer (or whatever your favourite drink is) for letting me
>>> know about this board. To answer your question, it is an _excellent_
>>> eLua target. 192k of internal RAM in a MCU is a dream come true for
>>> me. I will end this e-mail now because I have to order one. Thanks
>>> again.
>>>
>>> Best,
>>> Bogdan

Re: stm32f4 discovery board?

Hi,

Mouser and NU Horizons have them for US$ 14.88 (!!!!!!!!!!!)

http://br.mouser.com/ProductDetail/STMicroelectronics/STM32F4DISCOVERY/?qs=sGAEpiMZZMutVogd4PRSvEN8XDBeCtgD

http://www.nuhorizons.com/development/devtool.asp?board=264

Tks Mauricio !!!!!!!!!!!

On Thu, Oct 13, 2011 at 13:17, Bogdan Marinescu <[hidden email]> wrote:
On Thu, Oct 13, 2011 at 6:00 PM, Roger Critchlow <[hidden email]> wrote:
> You're most welcome, and I will do my best to collect that debt from Bogdan!
> The next question is how hard?  I'm getting the impression that the basics
> won't be hard at all.  Because the M4 is basically an M3 with a few extra
> instructions, all the essential MCU housekeeping is carried over from the
> M3.  And because the board has hardly anything on it but header pins, the
> initial pin configuration could set nearly everything to gpio.  And anything
> that's already working for other STM32 boards (USART, CAN, I2C, SPI, ADC,
> DAC) probably works on this board once the pins are mapped and configured
> correctly.

I have the same impression. The core is not that different and I don't
see why they would change their peripheral silicon implementation
(although I didn't check this yet).
I didn't order a board yet, I'm still trying to find a suitable
distributor in Europe. It's quite new though and this isn't easy.

> Thanks,
> -- rec --
> On Thu, Oct 13, 2011 at 8:57 AM, Dado Sutter <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> ... already added to the Other Kit Candidates at
>> http://wiki.eluaproject.net/Boards
>>
>> Thank you Roger !!!
>>
>> Best
>> Dado
>>

>> On Thu, Oct 13, 2011 at 03:50, Bogdan Marinescu
>> <[hidden email]> wrote:

>>> If you ever come to Romania, please let me know. I owe you a great
>>> amount of beer (or whatever your favourite drink is) for letting me
>>> know about this board. To answer your question, it is an _excellent_
>>> eLua target. 192k of internal RAM in a MCU is a dream come true for
>>> me. I will end this e-mail now because I have to order one. Thanks
>>> again.
>>>
>>> Best,
>>> Bogdan

Mike Panetta Mike Panetta

Re: stm32f4 discovery board?

I just got my board on tuesday.  I went to one of the free seminars.  Just FYI, during bringup of the silicon they used the STM32F2xx libraries to test and work with the device, so yes the peripherals are the same.  The only issue you may encounter is there are some differences between the F4 and the F1 series peripherals.  Oh and 64K of the RAM is only accessible by the core as data memory, just FYI.

Over all it is a nice board and the target price is in the $14 range (as was stated at the seminar).

Mike

On Thu, Oct 13, 2011 at 12:30 PM, Dado Sutter <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi,

Mouser and NU Horizons have them for US$ 14.88 (!!!!!!!!!!!)

http://br.mouser.com/ProductDetail/STMicroelectronics/STM32F4DISCOVERY/?qs=sGAEpiMZZMutVogd4PRSvEN8XDBeCtgD

http://www.nuhorizons.com/development/devtool.asp?board=264

Tks Mauricio !!!!!!!!!!!

On Thu, Oct 13, 2011 at 13:17, Bogdan Marinescu <[hidden email]> wrote:
On Thu, Oct 13, 2011 at 6:00 PM, Roger Critchlow <[hidden email]> wrote:
> You're most welcome, and I will do my best to collect that debt from Bogdan!
> The next question is how hard?  I'm getting the impression that the basics
> won't be hard at all.  Because the M4 is basically an M3 with a few extra
> instructions, all the essential MCU housekeeping is carried over from the
> M3.  And because the board has hardly anything on it but header pins, the
> initial pin configuration could set nearly everything to gpio.  And anything
> that's already working for other STM32 boards (USART, CAN, I2C, SPI, ADC,
> DAC) probably works on this board once the pins are mapped and configured
> correctly.

I have the same impression. The core is not that different and I don't
see why they would change their peripheral silicon implementation
(although I didn't check this yet).
I didn't order a board yet, I'm still trying to find a suitable
distributor in Europe. It's quite new though and this isn't easy.

> Thanks,
> -- rec --
> On Thu, Oct 13, 2011 at 8:57 AM, Dado Sutter <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> ... already added to the Other Kit Candidates at
>> http://wiki.eluaproject.net/Boards
>>
>> Thank you Roger !!!
>>
>> Best
>> Dado
>>

>> On Thu, Oct 13, 2011 at 03:50, Bogdan Marinescu
>> <[hidden email]> wrote:

>>> If you ever come to Romania, please let me know. I owe you a great
>>> amount of beer (or whatever your favourite drink is) for letting me
>>> know about this board. To answer your question, it is an _excellent_
>>> eLua target. 192k of internal RAM in a MCU is a dream come true for
>>> me. I will end this e-mail now because I have to order one. Thanks
>>> again.
>>>
>>> Best,
>>> Bogdan

Ronan Paixão-2 Ronan Paixão-2

Re: stm32f4 discovery board?

Too bad it's no longer in stock ìn Mouser, and the shipping is usually expensive. Maybe we can do a batch order to Brazil?

2011/10/13 Dado Sutter <[hidden email]>
Hi,

Mouser and NU Horizons have them for US$ 14.88 (!!!!!!!!!!!)

http://br.mouser.com/ProductDetail/STMicroelectronics/STM32F4DISCOVERY/?qs=sGAEpiMZZMutVogd4PRSvEN8XDBeCtgD

http://www.nuhorizons.com/development/devtool.asp?board=264

Tks Mauricio !!!!!!!!!!!

On Thu, Oct 13, 2011 at 13:17, Bogdan Marinescu <[hidden email]> wrote:
On Thu, Oct 13, 2011 at 6:00 PM, Roger Critchlow <[hidden email]> wrote:
> You're most welcome, and I will do my best to collect that debt from Bogdan!
> The next question is how hard?  I'm getting the impression that the basics
> won't be hard at all.  Because the M4 is basically an M3 with a few extra
> instructions, all the essential MCU housekeeping is carried over from the
> M3.  And because the board has hardly anything on it but header pins, the
> initial pin configuration could set nearly everything to gpio.  And anything
> that's already working for other STM32 boards (USART, CAN, I2C, SPI, ADC,
> DAC) probably works on this board once the pins are mapped and configured
> correctly.

I have the same impression. The core is not that different and I don't
see why they would change their peripheral silicon implementation
(although I didn't check this yet).
I didn't order a board yet, I'm still trying to find a suitable
distributor in Europe. It's quite new though and this isn't easy.

> Thanks,
> -- rec --
> On Thu, Oct 13, 2011 at 8:57 AM, Dado Sutter <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> ... already added to the Other Kit Candidates at
>> http://wiki.eluaproject.net/Boards
>>
>> Thank you Roger !!!
>>
>> Best
>> Dado
>>

>> On Thu, Oct 13, 2011 at 03:50, Bogdan Marinescu
>> <[hidden email]> wrote:

>>> If you ever come to Romania, please let me know. I owe you a great
>>> amount of beer (or whatever your favourite drink is) for letting me
>>> know about this board. To answer your question, it is an _excellent_
>>> eLua target. 192k of internal RAM in a MCU is a dream come true for
>>> me. I will end this e-mail now because I have to order one. Thanks
>>> again.
>>>
>>> Best,
>>> Bogdan

Re: stm32f4 discovery board?

On Thu, Oct 13, 2011 at 7:55 PM, Mike Panetta <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I just got my board on tuesday.  I went to one of the free seminars.  Just
> FYI, during bringup of the silicon they used the STM32F2xx libraries to test
> and work with the device, so yes the peripherals are the same.  The only
> issue you may encounter is there are some differences between the F4 and the
> F1 series peripherals.  Oh and 64K of the RAM is only accessible by the core
> as data memory, just FYI.

Thank you. Interesting choice. They're probably trying to maximize
parallelism or something like that. Oh well, from what it looks like
this 64k memory won't be able to execute code, host a DMA buffer and
other stuff that I'm probably missing right now, but it's still good
for our precious Lua data :)

> Over all it is a nice board and the target price is in the $14 range (as was
> stated at the seminar).

Yes, I'm absolutely blown away by the price/performance ratio of this
board. _Really_ giving 8-bit MCUs a run for their money.

> Mike
>
> On Thu, Oct 13, 2011 at 12:30 PM, Dado Sutter <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Hi,
>>
>> Mouser and NU Horizons have them for US$ 14.88 (!!!!!!!!!!!)
>>

>> http://br.mouser.com/ProductDetail/STMicroelectronics/STM32F4DISCOVERY/?qs=sGAEpiMZZMutVogd4PRSvEN8XDBeCtgD
>>
>> http://www.nuhorizons.com/development/devtool.asp?board=264
>>
>> Tks Mauricio !!!!!!!!!!!
>>
>> Best
>> Dado
>>

>> On Thu, Oct 13, 2011 at 13:17, Bogdan Marinescu
>> <[hidden email]> wrote:

>>> I have the same impression. The core is not that different and I don't
>>> see why they would change their peripheral silicon implementation
>>> (although I didn't check this yet).
>>> I didn't order a board yet, I'm still trying to find a suitable
>>> distributor in Europe. It's quite new though and this isn't easy.
>>>
>>> Best,
>>> Bogdan

Tim Michals Tim Michals

Re: stm32f4 discovery board?

The main issue I'm having is getting tools for Linux and open source needs to be open source.
For example, the built-in JTAG is SWD and is only supported by vendors, it uses some
MASS storage protocol. So, need to find SWD or different firmware for the JTAG.

So, I'm trying to use the built in USB DFU in the boot ROM.  The DFU file must be formatted, so looking at
that.  I have the ST example code built and linked, but trying to download it is my current problem. Help ;)

On Thu, Oct 13, 2011 at 7:55 PM, Mike Panetta <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I just got my board on tuesday.  I went to one of the free seminars.  Just
> FYI, during bringup of the silicon they used the STM32F2xx libraries to test
> and work with the device, so yes the peripherals are the same.  The only
> issue you may encounter is there are some differences between the F4 and the
> F1 series peripherals.  Oh and 64K of the RAM is only accessible by the core
> as data memory, just FYI.

Thank you. Interesting choice. They're probably trying to maximize
parallelism or something like that. Oh well, from what it looks like
this 64k memory won't be able to execute code, host a DMA buffer and
other stuff that I'm probably missing right now, but it's still good
for our precious Lua data :)

> Over all it is a nice board and the target price is in the $14 range (as was
> stated at the seminar).

Yes, I'm absolutely blown away by the price/performance ratio of this
board. _Really_ giving 8-bit MCUs a run for their money.

> Mike
>
> On Thu, Oct 13, 2011 at 12:30 PM, Dado Sutter <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Hi,
>>
>> Mouser and NU Horizons have them for US$ 14.88 (!!!!!!!!!!!)
>>

>> http://br.mouser.com/ProductDetail/STMicroelectronics/STM32F4DISCOVERY/?qs=sGAEpiMZZMutVogd4PRSvEN8XDBeCtgD
>>
>> http://www.nuhorizons.com/development/devtool.asp?board=264
>>
>> Tks Mauricio !!!!!!!!!!!
>>
>> Best
>> Dado
>>

>> On Thu, Oct 13, 2011 at 13:17, Bogdan Marinescu
>> <[hidden email]> wrote:

>>> I have the same impression. The core is not that different and I don't
>>> see why they would change their peripheral silicon implementation
>>> (although I didn't check this yet).
>>> I didn't order a board yet, I'm still trying to find a suitable
>>> distributor in Europe. It's quite new though and this isn't easy.
>>>
>>> Best,
>>> Bogdan

Roger Critchlow Roger Critchlow

Re: stm32f4 discovery board?

It hasn't been listed in stock anywhere, yet, mine is a free sample shipped early.

-- rec --

2011/10/13 Ronan Paixão <[hidden email]>
Too bad it's no longer in stock ìn Mouser, and the shipping is usually expensive. Maybe we can do a batch order to Brazil?

2011/10/13 Dado Sutter <[hidden email]>
Hi,

Mouser and NU Horizons have them for US$ 14.88 (!!!!!!!!!!!)

http://br.mouser.com/ProductDetail/STMicroelectronics/STM32F4DISCOVERY/?qs=sGAEpiMZZMutVogd4PRSvEN8XDBeCtgD

http://www.nuhorizons.com/development/devtool.asp?board=264

Tks Mauricio !!!!!!!!!!!

On Thu, Oct 13, 2011 at 13:17, Bogdan Marinescu <[hidden email]> wrote:
On Thu, Oct 13, 2011 at 6:00 PM, Roger Critchlow <[hidden email]> wrote:
> You're most welcome, and I will do my best to collect that debt from Bogdan!
> The next question is how hard?  I'm getting the impression that the basics
> won't be hard at all.  Because the M4 is basically an M3 with a few extra
> instructions, all the essential MCU housekeeping is carried over from the
> M3.  And because the board has hardly anything on it but header pins, the
> initial pin configuration could set nearly everything to gpio.  And anything
> that's already working for other STM32 boards (USART, CAN, I2C, SPI, ADC,
> DAC) probably works on this board once the pins are mapped and configured
> correctly.

I have the same impression. The core is not that different and I don't
see why they would change their peripheral silicon implementation
(although I didn't check this yet).
I didn't order a board yet, I'm still trying to find a suitable
distributor in Europe. It's quite new though and this isn't easy.

> Thanks,
> -- rec --
> On Thu, Oct 13, 2011 at 8:57 AM, Dado Sutter <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> ... already added to the Other Kit Candidates at
>> http://wiki.eluaproject.net/Boards
>>
>> Thank you Roger !!!
>>
>> Best
>> Dado
>>

>> On Thu, Oct 13, 2011 at 03:50, Bogdan Marinescu
>> <[hidden email]> wrote:

>>> If you ever come to Romania, please let me know. I owe you a great
>>> amount of beer (or whatever your favourite drink is) for letting me
>>> know about this board. To answer your question, it is an _excellent_
>>> eLua target. 192k of internal RAM in a MCU is a dream come true for
>>> me. I will end this e-mail now because I have to order one. Thanks
>>> again.
>>>
>>> Best,
>>> Bogdan

Re: stm32f4 discovery board?

2011/10/13 Ronan Paixão <[hidden email]>
Too bad it's no longer in stock ìn Mouser, and the shipping is usually expensive. Maybe we can do a batch order to Brazil?

Personally, I gave up trying to import things legally to this country a long time ago.
My orders _never_ arrive or are insanely overtaxed.
But this is just me. Mauricio and Vagner have imported some kits lately and it aparently worked fine. I was away on vacations, which seems to be the reason why :)

2011/10/13 Dado Sutter <[hidden email]>
Hi,

Mouser and NU Horizons have them for US$ 14.88 (!!!!!!!!!!!)

http://br.mouser.com/ProductDetail/STMicroelectronics/STM32F4DISCOVERY/?qs=sGAEpiMZZMutVogd4PRSvEN8XDBeCtgD

http://www.nuhorizons.com/development/devtool.asp?board=264

Tks Mauricio !!!!!!!!!!!

On Thu, Oct 13, 2011 at 13:17, Bogdan Marinescu <[hidden email]> wrote:
On Thu, Oct 13, 2011 at 6:00 PM, Roger Critchlow <[hidden email]> wrote:
> You're most welcome, and I will do my best to collect that debt from Bogdan!
> The next question is how hard?  I'm getting the impression that the basics
> won't be hard at all.  Because the M4 is basically an M3 with a few extra
> instructions, all the essential MCU housekeeping is carried over from the
> M3.  And because the board has hardly anything on it but header pins, the
> initial pin configuration could set nearly everything to gpio.  And anything
> that's already working for other STM32 boards (USART, CAN, I2C, SPI, ADC,
> DAC) probably works on this board once the pins are mapped and configured
> correctly.

I have the same impression. The core is not that different and I don't
see why they would change their peripheral silicon implementation
(although I didn't check this yet).
I didn't order a board yet, I'm still trying to find a suitable
distributor in Europe. It's quite new though and this isn't easy.

> Thanks,
> -- rec --
> On Thu, Oct 13, 2011 at 8:57 AM, Dado Sutter <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> ... already added to the Other Kit Candidates at
>> http://wiki.eluaproject.net/Boards
>>
>> Thank you Roger !!!
>>
>> Best
>> Dado
>>

>> On Thu, Oct 13, 2011 at 03:50, Bogdan Marinescu
>> <[hidden email]> wrote:

>>> If you ever come to Romania, please let me know. I owe you a great
>>> amount of beer (or whatever your favourite drink is) for letting me
>>> know about this board. To answer your question, it is an _excellent_
>>> eLua target. 192k of internal RAM in a MCU is a dream come true for
>>> me. I will end this e-mail now because I have to order one. Thanks
>>> again.
>>>
>>> Best,
>>> Bogdan

Roger Critchlow Roger Critchlow

Re: stm32f4 discovery board?

I am confused about that, too.

So the board has an stlink processor on the mini-usb connector which twiddles the SWD.  This project http://code.google.com/p/arm-utilities/ claims to be a download/upload/debug interface to stlink from linux.  Apparently, stlink is only nominally a mass storage device, it's implementation is broken in multiple ways that only Windows forgives.

But I'm puzzled by the contents arm-utilities/stlink-download.  Guess I should just compile something and try flashing.

-- rec --

On Thu, Oct 13, 2011 at 12:36 PM, Tim michals <[hidden email]> wrote:
The main issue I'm having is getting tools for Linux and open source needs to be open source.
For example, the built-in JTAG is SWD and is only supported by vendors, it uses some
MASS storage protocol. So, need to find SWD or different firmware for the JTAG.

So, I'm trying to use the built in USB DFU in the boot ROM.  The DFU file must be formatted, so looking at
that.  I have the ST example code built and linked, but trying to download it is my current problem. Help ;)

On Thu, Oct 13, 2011 at 7:55 PM, Mike Panetta <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I just got my board on tuesday.  I went to one of the free seminars.  Just
> FYI, during bringup of the silicon they used the STM32F2xx libraries to test
> and work with the device, so yes the peripherals are the same.  The only
> issue you may encounter is there are some differences between the F4 and the
> F1 series peripherals.  Oh and 64K of the RAM is only accessible by the core
> as data memory, just FYI.

Thank you. Interesting choice. They're probably trying to maximize
parallelism or something like that. Oh well, from what it looks like
this 64k memory won't be able to execute code, host a DMA buffer and
other stuff that I'm probably missing right now, but it's still good
for our precious Lua data :)

> Over all it is a nice board and the target price is in the $14 range (as was
> stated at the seminar).

Yes, I'm absolutely blown away by the price/performance ratio of this
board. _Really_ giving 8-bit MCUs a run for their money.

> Mike
>
> On Thu, Oct 13, 2011 at 12:30 PM, Dado Sutter <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Hi,
>>
>> Mouser and NU Horizons have them for US$ 14.88 (!!!!!!!!!!!)
>>

>> http://br.mouser.com/ProductDetail/STMicroelectronics/STM32F4DISCOVERY/?qs=sGAEpiMZZMutVogd4PRSvEN8XDBeCtgD
>>
>> http://www.nuhorizons.com/development/devtool.asp?board=264
>>
>> Tks Mauricio !!!!!!!!!!!
>>
>> Best
>> Dado
>>

>> On Thu, Oct 13, 2011 at 13:17, Bogdan Marinescu
>> <[hidden email]> wrote:

>>> I have the same impression. The core is not that different and I don't
>>> see why they would change their peripheral silicon implementation
>>> (although I didn't check this yet).
>>> I didn't order a board yet, I'm still trying to find a suitable
>>> distributor in Europe. It's quite new though and this isn't easy.
>>>
>>> Best,
>>> Bogdan

Tim Michals Tim Michals

Re: stm32f4 discovery board?

Great find, I found python script(http://www.seeedstudio.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=4504#p4504) to format the image, but looking for a Linux DFU to upload for this board.  There is AVR etc, hope that works.

If you want please let me know if it works.  I'm going keep doing on the DFU side of things.
I found the Windows software at http://www.st.com/stonline/stappl/resourceSelector/app?page=resourceSelectorPage&doctype=st_software_rsrc&FamilyID=141
So, with the python script and the bin, I ca see if my app loads... then can start on a port to eLua.
Python script http://www.seeedstudio.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=4504#p4504

On Thu, Oct 13, 2011 at 7:55 PM, Mike Panetta <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I just got my board on tuesday.  I went to one of the free seminars.  Just
> FYI, during bringup of the silicon they used the STM32F2xx libraries to test
> and work with the device, so yes the peripherals are the same.  The only
> issue you may encounter is there are some differences between the F4 and the
> F1 series peripherals.  Oh and 64K of the RAM is only accessible by the core
> as data memory, just FYI.

Thank you. Interesting choice. They're probably trying to maximize
parallelism or something like that. Oh well, from what it looks like
this 64k memory won't be able to execute code, host a DMA buffer and
other stuff that I'm probably missing right now, but it's still good
for our precious Lua data :)

> Over all it is a nice board and the target price is in the $14 range (as was
> stated at the seminar).

Yes, I'm absolutely blown away by the price/performance ratio of this
board. _Really_ giving 8-bit MCUs a run for their money.

> Mike
>
> On Thu, Oct 13, 2011 at 12:30 PM, Dado Sutter <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Hi,
>>
>> Mouser and NU Horizons have them for US$ 14.88 (!!!!!!!!!!!)
>>

>> http://br.mouser.com/ProductDetail/STMicroelectronics/STM32F4DISCOVERY/?qs=sGAEpiMZZMutVogd4PRSvEN8XDBeCtgD
>>
>> http://www.nuhorizons.com/development/devtool.asp?board=264
>>
>> Tks Mauricio !!!!!!!!!!!
>>
>> Best
>> Dado
>>

>> On Thu, Oct 13, 2011 at 13:17, Bogdan Marinescu
>> <[hidden email]> wrote:

>>> I have the same impression. The core is not that different and I don't
>>> see why they would change their peripheral silicon implementation
>>> (although I didn't check this yet).
>>> I didn't order a board yet, I'm still trying to find a suitable
>>> distributor in Europe. It's quite new though and this isn't easy.
>>>
>>> Best,
>>> Bogdan

Re: stm32f4 discovery board?

On Thu, Oct 13, 2011 at 9:36 PM, Tim michals <[hidden email]> wrote:
> The main issue I'm having is getting tools for Linux and open source needs
> to be open source.
> For example, the built-in JTAG is SWD and is only supported by vendors, it
> uses some
> MASS storage protocol. So, need to find SWD or different firmware for the
> JTAG.
>
> So, I'm trying to use the built in USB DFU in the boot ROM.  The DFU file
> must be formatted, so looking at

Apparently that's described in an elusive UM0391 document from ST. I
couldn't find it on-line, but found this comment on a forum:

    Here you go ( See attached).  you will find it , once you install
DFuSe demos in your Windows  PC.

(nothing was attached :) and I can't install the the DFuSE demos right
now. I'll try to do it later).

> that.  I have the ST example code built and linked, but trying to download
> it is my current problem. Help ;)

Serial downloading should work too according to the datasheet.
Moreover, it seems that the serial bootloader protocol is the same, so
my stm32ld (https://github.com/jsnyder/stm32ld) should work with some
modifications.

> ________________________________

Re: stm32f4 discovery board?

On Thu, Oct 13, 2011 at 10:43 PM, Bogdan Marinescu
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Thu, Oct 13, 2011 at 9:36 PM, Tim michals <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> The main issue I'm having is getting tools for Linux and open source needs
>> to be open source.
>> For example, the built-in JTAG is SWD and is only supported by vendors, it
>> uses some
>> MASS storage protocol. So, need to find SWD or different firmware for the
>> JTAG.
>>
>> So, I'm trying to use the built in USB DFU in the boot ROM.  The DFU file
>> must be formatted, so looking at
>
> Apparently that's described in an elusive UM0391 document from ST. I
> couldn't find it on-line, but found this comment on a forum:
>
>    Here you go ( See attached).  you will find it , once you install
> DFuSe demos in your Windows  PC.
>
> (nothing was attached :) and I can't install the the DFuSE demos right
> now. I'll try to do it later).

Yes, UM0391 (DfuSe File Format Specification) is available after
installing the DfuSe software (Windows only) from here:

http://www.st.com/internet/com/SOFTWARE_RESOURCES/SW_COMPONENT/SW_DEMO/um0412.zip

I'm not attaching it to this mail as I have no idea what licenses I
might break by doing so. The file format doesn't seem to be
particulary tricky, although a bit of effort is indeed required to
pack the bin into a valid DFU. Who's going to be the first person to
come with a script (preferably Lua) that converts a bin into a DFU
image? I don't have any prizes to offer, just our eternal gratitude :)

>> that.  I have the ST example code built and linked, but trying to download
>> it is my current problem. Help ;)
>
> Serial downloading should work too according to the datasheet.
> Moreover, it seems that the serial bootloader protocol is the same, so
> my stm32ld (https://github.com/jsnyder/stm32ld) should work with some
> modifications.
>
> Best,
> Bogdan
>

>> ________________________________

Well, I do have an old datasheet called: AN3156 USB DFU protocol used in the STM32™ bootloader, however it doesn't detail binary files, only DFU commands per se.

I could write something in C++, but unfortunately I have no way to test stuff, since the only DFU chip I have is an ATmega32u2. My STM32 does not have a DFU bootloader (only the connectivity line has it). Maybe I can try it with the maple DFU bootloader. By the way, if the maple is programmed with DFU, and they have an Arduino-based IDE, maybe they already have those converters.

More info: http://leaflabs.com/docs/bootloader.html

Ronan

<[hidden email]> wrote:
> On Thu, Oct 13, 2011 at 9:36 PM, Tim michals <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> The main issue I'm having is getting tools for Linux and open source needs
>> to be open source.
>> For example, the built-in JTAG is SWD and is only supported by vendors, it
>> uses some
>> MASS storage protocol. So, need to find SWD or different firmware for the
>> JTAG.
>>
>> So, I'm trying to use the built in USB DFU in the boot ROM.  The DFU file
>> must be formatted, so looking at
>
> Apparently that's described in an elusive UM0391 document from ST. I
> couldn't find it on-line, but found this comment on a forum:
>
>    Here you go ( See attached).  you will find it , once you install
> DFuSe demos in your Windows  PC.
>
> (nothing was attached :) and I can't install the the DFuSE demos right
> now. I'll try to do it later).

Yes, UM0391 (DfuSe File Format Specification) is available after
installing the DfuSe software (Windows only) from here:

http://www.st.com/internet/com/SOFTWARE_RESOURCES/SW_COMPONENT/SW_DEMO/um0412.zip

I'm not attaching it to this mail as I have no idea what licenses I
might break by doing so. The file format doesn't seem to be
particulary tricky, although a bit of effort is indeed required to
pack the bin into a valid DFU. Who's going to be the first person to
come with a script (preferably Lua) that converts a bin into a DFU
image? I don't have any prizes to offer, just our eternal gratitude :)

>> that.  I have the ST example code built and linked, but trying to download
>> it is my current problem. Help ;)
>
> Serial downloading should work too according to the datasheet.
> Moreover, it seems that the serial bootloader protocol is the same, so
> my stm32ld (https://github.com/jsnyder/stm32ld) should work with some
> modifications.
>
> Best,
> Bogdan

Tim Michals Tim Michals

Re: stm32f4 discovery board?

I was going to take the python script and convert it... see if it loads.  Then I can post something about the Makefile tools, build etc...