stm32f4 discovery board?

Roger Critchlow Roger Critchlow

Re: stm32f4 discovery board?

On Thu, Oct 13, 2011 at 2:09 PM, Bogdan Marinescu <[hidden email]> wrote:

Yes, UM0391 (DfuSe File Format Specification) is available after
installing the DfuSe software (Windows only) from here:

http://www.st.com/internet/com/SOFTWARE_RESOURCES/SW_COMPONENT/SW_DEMO/um0412.zip

Wine runs the installer just fine, the file ends up in:

 ~/.wine/drive_c/Program Files/STMicroelectronics/Software/DfuSe/Sources/Doc/UM0391.pdf

-- rec --

Re: stm32f4 discovery board?

On Fri, Oct 14, 2011 at 12:05 AM, Roger Critchlow <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Thu, Oct 13, 2011 at 2:09 PM, Bogdan Marinescu
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Yes, UM0391 (DfuSe File Format Specification) is available after
>> installing the DfuSe software (Windows only) from here:
>>

>> http://www.st.com/internet/com/SOFTWARE_RESOURCES/SW_COMPONENT/SW_DEMO/um0412.zip
>>

> Wine runs the installer just fine, the file ends up in:
>  ~/.wine/drive_c/Program
> Files/STMicroelectronics/Software/DfuSe/Sources/Doc/UM0391.pdf

Thanks! Should've tryied my luck with wine before firing up VirtualBox :)

> -- rec --
Mike Panetta Mike Panetta

Re: stm32f4 discovery board?

On Thu, Oct 13, 2011 at 3:02 PM, Roger Critchlow <[hidden email]> wrote:
I am confused about that, too.

So the board has an stlink processor on the mini-usb connector which twiddles the SWD.  This project http://code.google.com/p/arm-utilities/ claims to be a download/upload/debug interface to stlink from linux.  Apparently, stlink is only nominally a mass storage device, it's implementation is broken in multiple ways that only Windows forgives.

It isn't an ST-LINK.  It is an ST-LINK V2.  They use completely different protocols.  The V1 uses USB mass storage class, the V2 is something proprietary.

But I'm puzzled by the contents arm-utilities/stlink-download.  Guess I should just compile something and try flashing.

It probably won't work since it isn't a V1 ST-LINK.

-- rec --

Mike

On Thu, Oct 13, 2011 at 12:36 PM, Tim michals <[hidden email]> wrote:
The main issue I'm having is getting tools for Linux and open source needs to be open source.
For example, the built-in JTAG is SWD and is only supported by vendors, it uses some
MASS storage protocol. So, need to find SWD or different firmware for the JTAG.

So, I'm trying to use the built in USB DFU in the boot ROM.  The DFU file must be formatted, so looking at
that.  I have the ST example code built and linked, but trying to download it is my current problem. Help ;)

Re: stm32f4 discovery board?

Here is what I found about the JTAG http://comments.gmane.org/gmane.comp.debugging.openocd.devel/18248
There is some projects out there, but can reprogram and use it as a veralsoon board

On Thu, Oct 13, 2011 at 3:37 PM, Mike Panetta <[hidden email]> wrote:

It isn't an ST-LINK.  It is an ST-LINK V2.  They use completely different protocols.  The V1 uses USB mass storage class, the V2 is something proprietary.

But I'm puzzled by the contents arm-utilities/stlink-download.  Guess I should just compile something and try flashing.

It probably won't work since it isn't a V1 ST-LINK.

You're right, it's a new usb product id, and the Interface reports as vendor specific where it used to be mass storage, and there's a third endpoint where there were only two before, and stlink-download gets nowhere with it because it never gets the mass storage driver loaded.  I wonder if it's the same broken mass storage implementation underneath.

-- rec --

Tony-12 Tony-12

Re: stm32f4 discovery board?

The STM32F4 Discovery board is pretty tempting; since the cheapest STM32F4 at Mouser is $8, I'm pretty sure ST is losing money in the short term (and hoping to make it up in the long run).

This board also brings up another point to consider: single precision floating point.  Yes, the STM32F4 has single precision floating point, and I've seen a lot of other new MCUs and DSPs with single precision floating point (from ST, TI, Atmel, and Freescale) -- and very few with double precision.  Hardware floating point is really nice, except single precision doesn't work well with Lua's one number format model.

So what's the best way of integrating a single precision FPU with eLua?

--Tony

On Fri, Oct 14, 2011 at 1:49 AM, Tony <[hidden email]> wrote:

> The STM32F4 Discovery board is pretty tempting; since the cheapest STM32F4
> at Mouser is $8, I'm pretty sure ST is losing money in the short term (and
> hoping to make it up in the long run).
>
> This board also brings up another point to consider: single precision
> floating point.  Yes, the STM32F4 has single precision floating point, and
> I've seen a lot of other new MCUs and DSPs with single precision floating
> point (from ST, TI, Atmel, and Freescale) -- and very few with double
> precision.  Hardware floating point is really nice, except single precision
> doesn't work well with Lua's one number format model.
>
> So what's the best way of integrating a single precision FPU with eLua?

This is a _very_ good question. My answer, unfortunately, is "I have
no idea at the moment". Single precision will probably be considered
too "weak" for eLua (since it can't even hold a 32-bit integer) and I
don't know of a good way to use a single precision FPU to accelerate
the emulation of double precision operations. There are other ways we
could use this, of course (for example via specialized modules), but
the main part of eLua will probably still be emulated. Presumtively we
could also use something like LNUM and deffer the operations that can
be done in single precision to the FPU, but the overhead added by LNUM
might not make this worthy. Interesting brain teaser :)

> --Tony
>
> On Wed, Oct 12, 2011 at 5:44 PM, Roger Critchlow <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Greetings eLua developers.
>> I just received an STM32F4 Discovery
>> board, http://www.st.com/internet/evalboard/product/252419.jsp, and while
>> trolling the internets for open source, linux based development tools I came
>> upon eLua.  It seems that with 1Mbyte of flash and 192kbytes of RAM and
>> priced at US$19.50 this ARM Cortex-M4 board might be a reasonable candidate
>> target board for eLua, but I'm working from a very sketchy understanding of
>> eLua.  Is it a reasonable target for eLua?
>> Many thanks,
>> -- rec --

Tim Michals Tim Michals

Re: stm32f4 discovery board?

I ran into this issue while trying to compile the code.  My understanding is there are three methods to compile
- soft: all done in software
-soft-vpu: The code uses the soft ABI for floating point libraries but uses hard floating point to speed up operations.
- hard: Everything must be compiled using hard floating point.  So, a special newlib, clib etc must be compiled.

Right now I'm using soft-vpu, to get it to link and move forward get it working first.  More to add to the list ;)

On Fri, Oct 14, 2011 at 1:49 AM, Tony <[hidden email]> wrote:

> The STM32F4 Discovery board is pretty tempting; since the cheapest STM32F4
> at Mouser is $8, I'm pretty sure ST is losing money in the short term (and
> hoping to make it up in the long run).
>
> This board also brings up another point to consider: single precision
> floating point.  Yes, the STM32F4 has single precision floating point, and
> I've seen a lot of other new MCUs and DSPs with single precision floating
> point (from ST, TI, Atmel, and Freescale) -- and very few with double
> precision.  Hardware floating point is really nice, except single precision
> doesn't work well with Lua's one number format model.
>
> So what's the best way of integrating a single precision FPU with eLua?

This is a _very_ good question. My answer, unfortunately, is "I have
no idea at the moment". Single precision will probably be considered
too "weak" for eLua (since it can't even hold a 32-bit integer) and I
don't know of a good way to use a single precision FPU to accelerate
the emulation of double precision operations. There are other ways we
could use this, of course (for example via specialized modules), but
the main part of eLua will probably still be emulated. Presumtively we
could also use something like LNUM and deffer the operations that can
be done in single precision to the FPU, but the overhead added by LNUM
might not make this worthy. Interesting brain teaser :)

> --Tony
>
> On Wed, Oct 12, 2011 at 5:44 PM, Roger Critchlow <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Greetings eLua developers.
>> I just received an STM32F4 Discovery
>> board, http://www.st.com/internet/evalboard/product/252419.jsp, and while
>> trolling the internets for open source, linux based development tools I came
>> upon eLua.  It seems that with 1Mbyte of flash and 192kbytes of RAM and
>> priced at US$19.50 this ARM Cortex-M4 board might be a reasonable candidate
>> target board for eLua, but I'm working from a very sketchy understanding of
>> eLua.  Is it a reasonable target for eLua?
>> Many thanks,
>> -- rec --

Zhanjun Dong Zhanjun Dong

Re: stm32f4 discovery board?

I have made a temporary build and runs on the stm32f4 discovery board, only the UART works. As I also have stm32f2 board, I'm also trying run elua on stm32f2xx, hopes it could works shortly.
Might be an FAQ:
How to contribute code to elua project?

Re: stm32f4 discovery board?

Hi,

On Sun, Oct 16, 2011 at 03:27, Zhanjun Dong <[hidden email]> wrote:
I have made a temporary build and runs on the stm32f4 discovery board, only
the UART works. As I also have stm32f2 board, I'm also trying run elua on
stm32f2xx, hopes it could works shortly.
Might be an FAQ:

Yes, we would love to refine and promote the use of our FAQ, currently at http://wiki.eluaproject.net/FAQ
There is also the tracker, with it's internal tools (issue comments, dev-wiki, follow-ups, .....) at http://tracker.eluaproject.net

How to contribute code to elua project?

You are already doing it ! :)  Thankssss.
(and yes, I wish I was doing much better these days too :(  If I've only got rid of some silly health problems......:(   But hey, we've got great people around and very commited to eLua too!  We're moving!)

On Sun, Oct 16, 2011 at 8:24 PM, James Snyder <[hidden email]> wrote:
Any further progress made on the interface from something other than windows?  I've requested a sample of one of these boards to experiment with and saw a flurry of messages related to the interface but nothing entirely conclusive?

Again, has anyone tried stm32ld? If the protocol stayed the same (and why wouldn't it?) it should be quite straightforward to modify. Of course a bit of new hardware would be required too, but that should be fairly trivial.

Perhaps if all else fails there may be some way to get the mcu into a dfu mode and upload firmware that way?

ph: <a href="tel:%28847%29%20448-0386" value="+18474480386" target="_blank">(847) 448-0386

On Oct 13, 2011, at 17:31, Roger Critchlow <[hidden email]> wrote:

On Thu, Oct 13, 2011 at 3:37 PM, Mike Panetta <[hidden email]> wrote:

It isn't an ST-LINK.  It is an ST-LINK V2.  They use completely different protocols.  The V1 uses USB mass storage class, the V2 is something proprietary.

But I'm puzzled by the contents arm-utilities/stlink-download.  Guess I should just compile something and try flashing.

It probably won't work since it isn't a V1 ST-LINK.

You're right, it's a new usb product id, and the Interface reports as vendor specific where it used to be mass storage, and there's a third endpoint where there were only two before, and stlink-download gets nowhere with it because it never gets the mass storage driver loaded.  I wonder if it's the same broken mass storage implementation underneath.

-- rec --
Tim Michals Tim Michals

LPC43xx/LPC18xx boards comming soon

Here is NXP M4 cortex demo board:
http://shop.ngxtechnologies.com/product_info.php?products_id=104

Also, look at the LPC18xx:
http://shop.ngxtechnologies.com/product_info.php?cPath=21_33&products_id=105

- 2MB of flash
- 136K of RAM

Re: LPC43xx/LPC18xx boards comming soon

On Mon, Oct 17, 2011 at 5:06 PM, Tim michals <[hidden email]> wrote:

The future definitely looks good, thanks. And at $0.00 per piece, I'll order a LOT of them.

Martin Guy Martin Guy

Re: LPC43xx/LPC18xx boards comming soon

Hi
  Empty publicity in a technical forum is not on.
If you had something to give, like you ported eLua to them and need
some final help or - at the limit - if you wanted to find people for
free samples hoping that *they* would port eLua to it (which is a
quiet but pointful type of free publicity), that would make sense.
   Just posting links to your half-finished shop is spam.

On Mon, Oct 17, 2011 at 5:36 PM, Martin Guy <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi
 Empty publicity in a technical forum is not on.
If you had something to give, like you ported eLua to them and need
some final help or - at the limit - if you wanted to find people for
free samples hoping that *they* would port eLua to it (which is a
quiet but pointful type of free publicity), that would make sense.
  Just posting links to your half-finished shop is spam.

Errr, no. It's a way to let the world know that M4-based boards are coming. This is debatable (as always), but I for one don't see this as "spam". Especially considering Tim's activity on this list.

Re: stm32f4 discovery board?

On Sun, Oct 16, 2011 at 1:28 PM, Bogdan Marinescu
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Sun, Oct 16, 2011 at 8:24 PM, James Snyder <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>>
>> Any further progress made on the interface from something other than
>> windows?  I've requested a sample of one of these boards to experiment with
>> and saw a flurry of messages related to the interface but nothing entirely
>> conclusive?
>
> Again, has anyone tried stm32ld? If the protocol stayed the same (and why
> wouldn't it?) it should be quite straightforward to modify. Of course a bit
> of new hardware would be required too, but that should be fairly trivial.

That's a good point as well. I haven't fully investigated whether
they've kept this the same.  It looks like BOOT0/BOOT1 are brought
out.

The getting started guide actually mention a DFU mode in conjunction
with these pins which would be even better since there's freely
available DFU software out there that's cross platform.  I believe
some of the earlier messages refer to trying this mode..

FYI, aside from the avr-related dfu-programmer, there's also dfu-util:
http://dfu-util.gnumonks.org/

Which is used for openmoko, leaflabs maple, and some other hardware so
it's probably a good candidate for a compatible loader.

-jsnyder

>> Perhaps if all else fails there may be some way to get the mcu into a dfu
>> mode and upload firmware that way?
>>
>> --
>> James Snyder
>> Biomedical Engineering
>> Northwestern University
>> http://fanplastic.org/key.txt
>> ph: (847) 448-0386
>> On Oct 13, 2011, at 17:31, Roger Critchlow <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>

>> On Thu, Oct 13, 2011 at 3:37 PM, Mike Panetta <[hidden email]>
>> wrote:
>>>
>>> It isn't an ST-LINK.  It is an ST-LINK V2.  They use completely different
>>> protocols.  The V1 uses USB mass storage class, the V2 is something
>>> proprietary.

>>> It probably won't work since it isn't a V1 ST-LINK.
>>>

>> You're right, it's a new usb product id, and the Interface reports as
>> vendor specific where it used to be mass storage, and there's a third
>> endpoint where there were only two before, and stlink-download gets nowhere
>> with it because it never gets the mass storage driver loaded.  I wonder if
>> it's the same broken mass storage implementation underneath.
>> -- rec --

Re: stm32f4 discovery board?

It looks like it should support both DFU & the older serial mode (from
page 59 of the Reference Manual):

Embedded bootloader
The embedded bootloader mode is used to reprogram the Flash memory
using one of the following serial interfaces:
● USART1(PA9/PA10)
● USART3(PB10/11 and PC10/11)
● CAN2(PB5/13)
● USB OTG FS(PA11/12) in Device mode (DFU: device firmware upgrade).
The USART peripherals operate at the internal 16 MHz oscillator (HSI)
frequency, while the CAN and USB OTG FS require an external clock
(HSE) multiple of 1 MHz (ranging from 4 to 26 MHz).
The embedded bootloader code is located in system memory. It is
programmed by ST during production. For additional information, refer
to application note AN2606.

Nice :-)

On Mon, Oct 17, 2011 at 12:36 PM, James Snyder <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Sun, Oct 16, 2011 at 1:28 PM, Bogdan Marinescu
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>

>> On Sun, Oct 16, 2011 at 8:24 PM, James Snyder <[hidden email]>
>> wrote:
>>>
>>> Any further progress made on the interface from something other than
>>> windows?  I've requested a sample of one of these boards to experiment with
>>> and saw a flurry of messages related to the interface but nothing entirely
>>> conclusive?
>>
>> Again, has anyone tried stm32ld? If the protocol stayed the same (and why
>> wouldn't it?) it should be quite straightforward to modify. Of course a bit
>> of new hardware would be required too, but that should be fairly trivial.
>
> That's a good point as well. I haven't fully investigated whether
> they've kept this the same.  It looks like BOOT0/BOOT1 are brought
> out.
>
> The getting started guide actually mention a DFU mode in conjunction
> with these pins which would be even better since there's freely
> available DFU software out there that's cross platform.  I believe
> some of the earlier messages refer to trying this mode..
>
> FYI, aside from the avr-related dfu-programmer, there's also dfu-util:
> http://dfu-util.gnumonks.org/
>
> Which is used for openmoko, leaflabs maple, and some other hardware so
> it's probably a good candidate for a compatible loader.
>
> -jsnyder
>

>>> Perhaps if all else fails there may be some way to get the mcu into a dfu
>>> mode and upload firmware that way?
>>>
>>> --
>>> James Snyder
>>> Biomedical Engineering
>>> Northwestern University
>>> http://fanplastic.org/key.txt
>>> ph: (847) 448-0386
>>> On Oct 13, 2011, at 17:31, Roger Critchlow <[hidden email]> wrote:

>>> You're right, it's a new usb product id, and the Interface reports as
>>> vendor specific where it used to be mass storage, and there's a third
>>> endpoint where there were only two before, and stlink-download gets nowhere
>>> with it because it never gets the mass storage driver loaded.  I wonder if
>>> it's the same broken mass storage implementation underneath.
>>> -- rec --

Roger Critchlow Roger Critchlow

Re: stm32f4 discovery board?

Okay, so holding BOOT0 high and BOOT1=PB2 low during reset, and keeping the USART and CAN lines quiescent, should bring up a DFU bootloader on the USB micro-AB port.

Jumpered PB2=GND, BOOT0=3V;  powered over the STLink port and no demo booted;  connected USB-OTG with a micro-B:

Bus 006 Device 004: ID 0483:3748 SGS Thomson Microelectronics
Bus 003 Device 002: ID 0483:df11 SGS Thomson Microelectronics

0483:3748 is the STLink,
0483:df11 is "STM device in DFU mode"

-- rec --

On Mon, Oct 17, 2011 at 11:42 AM, James Snyder <[hidden email]> wrote:
> [...]

> -jsnyder
>

>>> Perhaps if all else fails there may be some way to get the mcu into a dfu
>>> mode and upload firmware that way?
>>>
>>> --
>>> James Snyder
>>> Biomedical Engineering
>>> Northwestern University
>>> http://fanplastic.org/key.txt
>>> ph: <a href="tel:%28847%29%20448-0386" value="+18474480386">(847) 448-0386
>>> On Oct 13, 2011, at 17:31, Roger Critchlow <[hidden email]> wrote:

>>> You're right, it's a new usb product id, and the Interface reports as
>>> vendor specific where it used to be mass storage, and there's a third
>>> endpoint where there were only two before, and stlink-download gets nowhere
>>> with it because it never gets the mass storage driver loaded.  I wonder if
>>> it's the same broken mass storage implementation underneath.

More progress, it appears that this stlink interface package:

   https://github.com/texane/stlink

has been upgraded to support the STLinkV2 on the STM32F4 and other boards.  I haven't tried it, yet, but a poster on hackaday says it works, and sure enough the source has a udev rule for the new 0483:4788 STLink device.

-- rec --