stm32f4 discovery board?

Re: stm32f4 discovery board?

On Mon, Oct 17, 2011 at 9:48 PM, Roger Critchlow <[hidden email]> wrote:
More progress, it appears that this stlink interface package:

   https://github.com/texane/stlink

has been upgraded to support the STLinkV2 on the STM32F4 and other boards.  I haven't tried it, yet, but a poster on hackaday says it works, and sure enough the source has a udev rule for the new 0483:4788 STLink device.

Someone posted a comment on HaD describing how to use stlink:

(sorry, no direct link to the comment)
Once you have GDB up and running, flashing should be as easy as running a "load" command (I think) from GDB. Also, this would make an EXCELLENT hardware debugger.

-- rec --

Re: stm32f4 discovery board?

On Mon, Oct 17, 2011 at 1:48 PM, Roger Critchlow <[hidden email]> wrote:
> More progress, it appears that this stlink interface package:
>    https://github.com/texane/stlink
> has been upgraded to support the STLinkV2 on the STM32F4 and other boards.
>  I haven't tried it, yet, but a poster on hackaday says it works, and sure
> enough the source has a udev rule for the new 0483:4788 STLink device.

Very nice.  I'd prefer something usblib-based so that it would be
portable to OS X, but between this and the other mentions out there it
sounds like there should be decent support for at least flashing and
maybe debugging this device on multiple platforms without the need for
special hardware or proprietary/expensive software packages.

Perhaps we should convert the link on the wiki into a page discussing
some of these items so that we can keep track of all of this as a
resource as well all start receiving these kits?

I'll start:
http://wiki.eluaproject.net/STM32F4DISCOVERY

This is quite refreshing given that the LPCXpresso board has an
LPC-LINK device on it that doesn't seem to be supported by anyone and
this seems to be a bit nicer in terms of specs and lower priced :-)

> -- rec --

Ned Konz-2 Ned Konz-2

Re: stm32f4 discovery board?

On 10/16/2011 10:24 AM, James Snyder wrote:
> Any further progress made on the interface from something other than
> windows? I've requested a sample of one of these boards to experiment
> with and saw a flurry of messages related to the interface but nothing
> entirely conclusive?
>
> Perhaps if all else fails there may be some way to get the mcu into a
> dfu mode and upload firmware that way?

There's an "stlink" project on github that appears to have gdb server
code for both STLINK/V1 and STLINK/V2.

https://github.com/texane/stlink

I haven't had a chance to try it yet, but it looks promising.

--
Ned Konz
Product Creation | Studio

Re: LPC43xx/LPC18xx boards comming soon

On Mon, Oct 17, 2011 at 12:06, Tim michals <[hidden email]> wrote:
- 2MB of flash
- 136K of RAM

Nice ! More and more boards coming. RAM is very welcomed :)
Thank you for mentioning them here.

Pros and cons for eLua on the kits, including new candidates, are being kept on the Wiki at http://wiki.eluaproject.net/Boards
Help is very welcomed to edit this and every other page. There are so many new candidates now that they might be better on a page of their own.

Zhanjun Dong Zhanjun Dong

Re: stm32f4 discovery board?

As I'm new to elua community and has trouble to check in files, so I write a blog and shares code in it, the url is:

http://dd.homeunix.com/home/space.php?uid=1&do=blog&id=90
(The blog server displays Chinese but the blog content is in English)

STM32F2 support was also added, the same zip file contains both F2 and F4 support.
I also put some lessons learned in this blog, for example, if you program the chip and then have trouble to connect it, me experience might helps.

If anyone is working on it, feel free to use my code and added into eLua repository.
Roger Critchlow Roger Critchlow

Re: stm32f4 discovery board?

On Mon, Oct 17, 2011 at 7:16 PM, Ned Konz <[hidden email]> wrote:

There's an "stlink" project on github that appears to have gdb server code for both STLINK/V1 and STLINK/V2.

https://github.com/texane/stlink

I haven't had a chance to try it yet, but it looks promising.

It works fine, more or less according to the documentation.  I've modified the blink example for the STM32F4 Discovery, loaded it into ram with gdb, and continued it successfully.

But loading to flash did not succeed, never completed, generated 24Mbytes of log file, and it seems to have gummed up my system.  And the board is still happily running the demo, so nothing got written.

-- rec --

Ned Konz-2 Ned Konz-2

Re: stm32f4 discovery board?

On 10/17/2011 08:33 PM, Zhanjun Dong wrote:

> As I'm new to elua community and has trouble to check in files, so I write a
> blog and shares code in it, the url is:
>
> http://dd.homeunix.com/home/space.php?uid=1&do=blog&id=90
> (The blog server displays Chinese but the blog content is in English)
>
> STM32F2 support was also added, the same zip file contains both F2 and F4
> support.
> I also put some lessons learned in this blog, for example, if you program
> the chip and then have trouble to connect it, me experience might helps.
>
> If anyone is working on it, feel free to use my code and added into eLua
> repository.

I just submitted these changes as a pull request.

--
Ned Konz
Product Creation | Studio
425 Westlake Av. N
Seattle, WA 98109
PH 206-297-7200
http://productcreationstudio.com

Re: stm32f4 discovery board?

Thanks.  I just got my board today.  I'll try to take a look at this
pull request and either merge it or put it in a branch for now if it
requires further modification before making it into the trunk.

I guess one of the first questions I would have is whether or not we
need to split stm32 into stm32, stm32f2, stm32f4 or whether they can
realistically coexist as one port, but I'll take a look.  It looks
like there's a lot of common code, but currently there's at least some
non-working peripherals like CAN on F4?

Best.

-jsnyder

On Tue, Oct 18, 2011 at 12:34 PM, Ned Konz
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 10/17/2011 08:33 PM, Zhanjun Dong wrote:
>>
>> As I'm new to elua community and has trouble to check in files, so I write
>> blog and shares code in it, the url is:
>>
>> http://dd.homeunix.com/home/space.php?uid=1&do=blog&id=90
>> (The blog server displays Chinese but the blog content is in English)
>>
>> STM32F2 support was also added, the same zip file contains both F2 and F4
>> support.
>> I also put some lessons learned in this blog, for example, if you program
>> the chip and then have trouble to connect it, me experience might helps.
>>
>> If anyone is working on it, feel free to use my code and added into eLua
>> repository.
>
> I just submitted these changes as a pull request.
>
> --
> Ned Konz
> Product Creation | Studio
> 425 Westlake Av. N
> Seattle, WA 98109
> PH 206-297-7200
> http://productcreationstudio.com
Tim Michals Tim Michals

Re: stm32f4 discovery board?

Also, would like to see the version of the ST library used, from time to time ST does rev the library..or follow the same directory structure to make the diffs easier.

<[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 10/17/2011 08:33 PM, Zhanjun Dong wrote:
>>
>> As I'm new to elua community and has trouble to check in files, so I write
>> blog and shares code in it, the url is:
>>
>> http://dd.homeunix.com/home/space.php?uid=1&do=blog&id=90
>> (The blog server displays Chinese but the blog content is in English)
>>
>> STM32F2 support was also added, the same zip file contains both F2 and F4
>> support.
>> I also put some lessons learned in this blog, for example, if you program
>> the chip and then have trouble to connect it, me experience might helps.
>>
>> If anyone is working on it, feel free to use my code and added into eLua
>> repository.
>
> I just submitted these changes as a pull request.
>
> --
> Ned Konz
> Product Creation | Studio
> 425 Westlake Av. N
> Seattle, WA 98109
> PH 206-297-7200
> http://productcreationstudio.com
Roger Critchlow Roger Critchlow

Re: stm32f4 discovery board?

Eureka, or almost.

The stlink project doesn't write the flash.  The dfu-util project doesn't talk to the stm32, and I temporarily bricked my board when I tried hacking the protocol.

But this project, http://gitorious.org/~tormod/unofficial-clones/dfuse-dfu-util, just wrote the demonstration binary back onto the board, so my ex-brick is now flashing its leds again.  And it's willing to flash raw .bin files, too, as well as the ST v1.1a dfu suffixed files.

My image doesn't work when flashed, but that will be easier to fix with a way to flash the image.

-- rec --

Re: stm32f4 discovery board?

On Tue, Oct 18, 2011 at 9:16 PM, James Snyder <[hidden email]> wrote:
Thanks.  I just got my board today.  I'll try to take a look at this
pull request and either merge it or put it in a branch for now if it
requires further modification before making it into the trunk.

I guess one of the first questions I would have is whether or not we
need to split stm32 into stm32, stm32f2, stm32f4 or whether they can
realistically coexist as one port, but I'll take a look.  It looks
like there's a lot of common code, but currently there's at least some
non-working peripherals like CAN on F4?

Good question, indeed. For now I _think_ they can co-exist as a single port since they share so much code in common, but I have to take a closer look at this.

On Wed, Oct 19, 2011 at 1:23 AM, Roger Critchlow <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Eureka, or almost.
> The stlink project doesn't write the flash.  The dfu-util project doesn't
> talk to the stm32, and I temporarily bricked my board when I tried hacking
> the protocol.
> But this
> project, http://gitorious.org/~tormod/unofficial-clones/dfuse-dfu-util, just
> wrote the demonstration binary back onto the board, so my ex-brick is now
> flashing its leds again.  And it's willing to flash raw .bin files, too, as
> well as the ST v1.1a dfu suffixed files.
> My image doesn't work when flashed, but that will be easier to fix with a
> way to flash the image.

I believe I have this working as well.  Of note for those who might
plan to try this tool, for me at least I needed to use the
"dfuse-libusb-1.0" branch from the above repo, otherwise it didn't
like the dfu image from ST's firmware package.

On Thu, Oct 20, 2011 at 8:25 PM, James Snyder <[hidden email]> wrote:
On Wed, Oct 19, 2011 at 1:23 AM, Roger Critchlow <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Eureka, or almost.
> The stlink project doesn't write the flash.  The dfu-util project doesn't
> talk to the stm32, and I temporarily bricked my board when I tried hacking
> the protocol.
> But this
> project, http://gitorious.org/~tormod/unofficial-clones/dfuse-dfu-util, just
> wrote the demonstration binary back onto the board, so my ex-brick is now
> flashing its leds again.  And it's willing to flash raw .bin files, too, as
> well as the ST v1.1a dfu suffixed files.
> My image doesn't work when flashed, but that will be easier to fix with a
> way to flash the image.

I believe I have this working as well.  Of note for those who might
plan to try this tool, for me at least I needed to use the
"dfuse-libusb-1.0" branch from the above repo, otherwise it didn't
like the dfu image from ST's firmware package.

Sorry, I should have remembered to mention that essential detail.

-- rec --

Roger Critchlow Roger Critchlow

Re: stm32f4 discovery board?

And speaking of essential details about the dfuse-dfu-util package, this option

  -s --dfuse-address address ST DfuSe mode, specify target address for
raw file download or upload. Not applicable for
DfuSe file (.dfu) downloads

is required to download raw .bin files, and the error with it omitted doesn't help figure that out.

-- rec --

On Thu, Oct 20, 2011 at 8:43 PM, Roger Critchlow <[hidden email]> wrote:

On Thu, Oct 20, 2011 at 8:25 PM, James Snyder <[hidden email]> wrote:
On Wed, Oct 19, 2011 at 1:23 AM, Roger Critchlow <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Eureka, or almost.
> The stlink project doesn't write the flash.  The dfu-util project doesn't
> talk to the stm32, and I temporarily bricked my board when I tried hacking
> the protocol.
> But this
> project, http://gitorious.org/~tormod/unofficial-clones/dfuse-dfu-util, just
> wrote the demonstration binary back onto the board, so my ex-brick is now
> flashing its leds again.  And it's willing to flash raw .bin files, too, as
> well as the ST v1.1a dfu suffixed files.
> My image doesn't work when flashed, but that will be easier to fix with a
> way to flash the image.

I believe I have this working as well.  Of note for those who might
plan to try this tool, for me at least I needed to use the
"dfuse-libusb-1.0" branch from the above repo, otherwise it didn't
like the dfu image from ST's firmware package.

Sorry, I should have remembered to mention that essential detail.

-- rec --

Re: stm32f4 discovery board?

OK, I've got it working locally for me with a secondary usb->serial
adapter connected to PB6/PB7 (connected, respectively, to RXD/TXD on
the FTDI link).  I took Ned's merge request and started working on
integrating the new timer changes, which don't appear to be fully
working yet, but it does boot to the shell.

I've put my additional hackery based on Ned's pull request here:
https://github.com/jsnyder/elua/tree/bikeNomad-master

I'm able to get programming working when in DFU mode with
dfuse-dfu-util with the following build then dfu-util commands:
scons board=STM32F4DSCY prog
dfu-util -d 0483:df11 -c 1 -i 0 -a 0 -s 0x08000000 -D elua_lua_stm32f407vg.bin

I have not extensively looked at merging the ports into a common
directory yet, this was just a first pass to get things booting for me
and merged with trunk.  FYI: I did not attempt any merging of the
STM32F2 work done by Zhanjun Dong towards using the new system timers
so I suspect that doesn't build at the moment.

Thanks everyone for the various pieces :-)

-jsnyder

On Thu, Oct 20, 2011 at 11:18 PM, Roger Critchlow <[hidden email]> wrote:

> And speaking of essential details about the dfuse-dfu-util package, this
> option
>   -s --dfuse-address address ST DfuSe mode, specify target address for
> raw file download or upload. Not applicable for
> DfuSe file (.dfu) downloads
> is required to download raw .bin files, and the error with it omitted
> doesn't help figure that out.
> -- rec --
> On Thu, Oct 20, 2011 at 8:43 PM, Roger Critchlow <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>

>> On Thu, Oct 20, 2011 at 8:25 PM, James Snyder <[hidden email]>
>> wrote:

>>> I believe I have this working as well.  Of note for those who might
>>> plan to try this tool, for me at least I needed to use the
>>> "dfuse-libusb-1.0" branch from the above repo, otherwise it didn't
>>> like the dfu image from ST's firmware package.
>>>
>> Sorry, I should have remembered to mention that essential detail.
>> -- rec --

Re: stm32f4 discovery board?

On Mon, Oct 24, 2011 at 6:44 AM, James Snyder <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Just a quick note: the system timer should be easy to adapt. Make sure you have a working systick interrupt, then follow the implementation of any of the existing M3 platforms (LM3S, STM32, LPC1768). Since all the components involved here (the system timer and the interrupt system) are basically the same on all of them, you shouldn't have too much work to do.

Thanks everyone for the various pieces :-)

-jsnyder

On Thu, Oct 20, 2011 at 11:18 PM, Roger Critchlow <[hidden email]> wrote:
> And speaking of essential details about the dfuse-dfu-util package, this
> option
>   -s --dfuse-address address ST DfuSe mode, specify target address for
> raw file download or upload. Not applicable for
> DfuSe file (.dfu) downloads
> is required to download raw .bin files, and the error with it omitted
> doesn't help figure that out.
> -- rec --
> On Thu, Oct 20, 2011 at 8:43 PM, Roger Critchlow <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>

>> On Thu, Oct 20, 2011 at 8:25 PM, James Snyder <[hidden email]>
>> wrote:

>>> I believe I have this working as well.  Of note for those who might
>>> plan to try this tool, for me at least I needed to use the
>>> "dfuse-libusb-1.0" branch from the above repo, otherwise it didn't
>>> like the dfu image from ST's firmware package.
>>>
>> Sorry, I should have remembered to mention that essential detail.
>> -- rec --

Zhanjun Dong Zhanjun Dong

Re: stm32f4 discovery board?

Sorry for the late reply, I didn't check email yesterday.

Thanks for your integrating. I'm very glad that we could working together and push things moving forward.

About timer or other features like CAN, my latest code did not apply all my works on F2, will working on it later.

About F2/F4, I compare all .h files in ST library for F2 V1.0.0 and F4 V1.0.0, most files has exactly the SAME content, except the 2xx/4xx, only very few and minor different found in GPIO I2C PWR RCC RTC SPI USART, looks like merge F2/F4 into 1 common line should be easy and safe, at least for F2 and F4.
Roger Critchlow Roger Critchlow

Re: stm32f4 discovery board?

A few updates on the STM32F4 Discovery.

1) The dfuse emulation code has been merged into the main dfu-util development tree, the version 0.50 release at http://dfu-util.gnumonks.org/ has it included, or you can clone git://git.openezx.org/dfu-util.git.

2) ST has released an updated firmware package, version 1.1.0 replacing 1.0.1.

3) The updated firmware package includes a firmware updater that grabs a new image.bin off a usb key drive and writes it into flash.

-- rec --

Zhanjun Dong Zhanjun Dong

Re: stm32f4 discovery board?

The updated package is for discovery kit demo, the F4 library is still the V1.0.0.
I will take a look if any changes for discovery kit relevants to current port.

Sincerely
Zhanjun Dong

======= 2011-11-06 00:11:28 :=======

>A few updates on the STM32F4 Discovery.
>
>1) The dfuse emulation code has been merged into the main dfu-util
>development tree, the version 0.50 release at http://dfu-util.gnumonks.org/ has
>it included, or you can clone git://git.openezx.org/dfu-util.git.
>
>2) ST has released an updated firmware package, version 1.1.0 replacing
>1.0.1.
>
>3) The updated firmware package includes a firmware updater that grabs a
>new image.bin off a usb key drive and writes it into flash.
>
>-- rec --

Re: stm32f4 discovery board?

2011/11/6 Zhanjun Dong <[hidden email]>:
> The updated package is for discovery kit demo, the F4 library is still the V1.0.0.

It looks like there's a DSP/peripheral lib out at 1.0.0, and the
firmware package for the discovery board got updated with the usb key

It looks like the peripheral lib was updated to 1.0.0 from 1.0.0RC1.
It looks like the changes are fairly minor, not sure if any of them
have direct affects.

> I will take a look if any changes for discovery kit relevants to current port.
>
> Sincerely
> Zhanjun Dong
>
> ======= 2011-11-06 00:11:28 :=======
>
>>A few updates on the STM32F4 Discovery.
>>
>>1) The dfuse emulation code has been merged into the main dfu-util
>>development tree, the version 0.50 release at http://dfu-util.gnumonks.org/ has
>>it included, or you can clone git://git.openezx.org/dfu-util.git.

This is quite nice to see.  I'll update the wiki to reflect this.

As an additional note, I have been merging in Zhanjun's changes to the
git branch provided by bikeNomad:
https://github.com/jsnyder/elua/tree/bikeNomad-master

ADC should now work at least for the first 4 channels now.  I'm going
to make some changes shortly to make the ADC pin configuration work
more like some other platforms where pins are configured as needed
when they're updated as being needed in the sequence.  The system
timers should be working as well, though I'll admit I haven't
rechecked them in the latest build.

This is shaping up into a nice platform.  Thanks for all the help everyone :-)