Elua with a web server (wrote in true 'C') inside.

Nuccio Raciti Nuccio Raciti

Elua with a web server (wrote in true 'C') inside.

Hi Bogdan,

I'm near to have a good web server on the "uip",
now the next step is to interpret some "elua" code
starting from a string.
(the code inside "<?elua ?> tags.)
Is there a simple way to call the elua API in order to run  it?
Many thanks for you help.

Ciao,
Nuccio

Re: Elua with a web server (wrote in true 'C') inside.

Hi,

On Wed, Mar 2, 2011 at 8:28 PM, Nuccio Raciti <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hi Bogdan,
>
> I'm near to have a good web server on the "uip",
> now the next step is to interpret some "elua" code
> starting from a string.
> (the code inside "<?elua ?> tags.)
> Is there a simple way to call the elua API in order to run  it?
> Many thanks for you help.

I don't understand the full context of this. Is your server written in
C? If so, you need to create a Lua state and call the Lua interpreter.
Something like this:

http://www.lua.org/pil/24.1.html

If that's not the case please give me more details so I can understand
your situation better.

Nuccio Raciti Nuccio Raciti

Re: Elua with a web server (wrote in true 'C') inside.

good, it seems pretty simple.
I'm using the "web server" example of uip:
http://www.sics.se/~adam/uip/uip-1.0-refman/a00185.html

Thanks.
Nuccio

Il giorno mer, 02/03/2011 alle 20.35 +0200, Bogdan Marinescu ha
scritto:

> Hi,
>
> On Wed, Mar 2, 2011 at 8:28 PM, Nuccio Raciti <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > Hi Bogdan,
> >
> > I'm near to have a good web server on the "uip",
> > now the next step is to interpret some "elua" code
> > starting from a string.
> > (the code inside "<?elua ?> tags.)
> > Is there a simple way to call the elua API in order to run  it?
> > Many thanks for you help.
>
> I don't understand the full context of this. Is your server written in
> C? If so, you need to create a Lua state and call the Lua interpreter.
> Something like this:
>
> http://www.lua.org/pil/24.1.html
>
> If that's not the case please give me more details so I can understand
> your situation better.
>
> Best,
> Bogdan

Tim Michals Tim Michals

Re: Elua with a web server (wrote in true 'C') inside.

I might be way off base with this answer...

So, the goal is to have PHP/ASP, now eLua tags, in the HTML pages.  So the uIP stack would listen for the http commands and do some processing on the HTML until a eLua tag is found, then send it over to eLua for compile and processing.

The eLua tag is really a bunch of eLua code that gets compiled then executed.

A new/clone "state" from the "eLua state"  has to be created because once the socket is over, the state is then deleted. Or you can use the same state and use it to cache the code, and just execute the instructions.  Since the html pages are static on the web server/ micro-controller.

The main issue to me is memory, having a state per socket would use a lot of memory.  Caching would make sense, but that is a lot of work.  In simple terms, move all of the eLua script out from the HTML and just have simple asp tags that map to eLua/Lua functions.  Just upload a new Lua script/web pages then you have a way to extend the interface.

Another Idea, use Lua to do XMLPRC/Ajax  processing, i.e. post XML pages and do all of the parsing in eLua, return the data, tables, etc, so on the web browser do all your work in Java script, i.e. tables, processing etc.  Thus using XML to get data, java script for presentation.

Yes, I think this is what Nuccio has in mind. Pretty much what COSMO (http://cosmo.luaforge.net/) and many other template engines do for Lua.

The eLua tag is really a bunch of eLua code that gets compiled then
executed.

Yes, with some sort of sandbox for security.

A new/clone "state" from the "eLua state"  has to be created because once
the socket is over, the state is then deleted. Or you can use the same state
and use it to cache the code, and just execute the instructions.  Since the
html pages are static on the web server/ micro-controller.

Exactly. Depending on the application (ie: a web UI for an instrument), it may be better to keep the state alive.

The main issue to me is memory, having a state per socket would use a lot of
memory.  Caching would make sense, but that is a lot of work.  In simple
terms, move all of the eLua script out from the HTML and just have simple
asp tags that map to eLua/Lua functions.  Just upload a new Lua script/web
pages then you have a way to extend the interface.

Another Idea, use Lua to do XMLPRC/Ajax  processing, i.e. post XML pages and
do all of the parsing in eLua, return the data, tables, etc, so on the web
browser do all your work in Java script, i.e. tables, processing etc.  Thus
using XML to get data, java script for presentation.

And yes, I think the main issue is memory. Even with newer and not that more expensive chips, it still seems too early to dream on embedding some nice and powerful Lua libs for this area.
Having a C-based server, in opposition to our http server example in Lua will indeed be very nice, specially if it can extract some better performance from the uIP stack.

Tim Michals Tim Michals

Re: Elua with a web server (wrote in true 'C') inside.

Yes, I did a project with uIP web server with tag processing, painful. The only board I have is with USB.. Guess need to get CDC Ethernet working !
Nuccio Raciti Nuccio Raciti

Re: Elua with a web server (wrote in true 'C') inside.

yes,
I'd like to get a good performance web server for small applications in
AJAX, might be acceptable have one or two connections, so Mizar with
32Mbyte of ram, should keep a little array of one/two elua state.....

sounds interesting.

Nuccio.

Il giorno mer, 02/03/2011 alle 13.32 -0800, Tim Michals ha scritto:

> I might be way off base with this answer...
>
> So, the goal is to have PHP/ASP, now eLua tags, in the HTML pages.  So the
> uIP stack would listen for the http commands and do some processing on the
> HTML until a eLua tag is found, then send it over to eLua for compile and
> processing.
>
> The eLua tag is really a bunch of eLua code that gets compiled then
> executed.
>
> A new/clone "state" from the "eLua state"  has to be created because once
> the socket is over, the state is then deleted. Or you can use the same state
> and use it to cache the code, and just execute the instructions.  Since the
> html pages are static on the web server/ micro-controller.
>
> The main issue to me is memory, having a state per socket would use a lot of
> memory.  Caching would make sense, but that is a lot of work.  In simple
> terms, move all of the eLua script out from the HTML and just have simple
> asp tags that map to eLua/Lua functions.  Just upload a new Lua script/web
> pages then you have a way to extend the interface.
>
> Another Idea, use Lua to do XMLPRC/Ajax  processing, i.e. post XML pages and
> do all of the parsing in eLua, return the data, tables, etc, so on the web
> browser do all your work in Java script, i.e. tables, processing etc.  Thus
> using XML to get data, java script for presentation.

Tim Michals Tim Michals

Re: Elua with a web server (wrote in true 'C') inside.

I think the easiest would be a simple "C" web parser, to pull ASP tag and post  (AJAX) requests.  The AJAX and ASP then could run on a lua coroutine in a single lua state. So, inside of the main lua code you have a simple scheduler/dispatcher for events,  serial, A/D, AJAX, Web post requests, etc.   Yes, you loose the power have having lua script in the HTML, but to me that is replaced by having javascript parsing etc in the bowser.  Using HTML5 you can have a graphics ie gauges etc and just post values via socket and do all of the drawing graphics in java script...   One of the projects I was working with pulled java script, icons etc, from an external web site, so the embedded platform was nothing more then a simple get value/ set value using basic XML.  But if you have SPI flash, it can live there...

I'd like to get a good performance web server for small applications in
AJAX, might be acceptable have one or two connections, so Mizar with
32Mbyte of ram, should keep a little array of one/two elua state.....

sounds interesting.

Nuccio.

Il giorno mer, 02/03/2011 alle 13.32 -0800, Tim Michals ha scritto:

> I might be way off base with this answer...
>
> So, the goal is to have PHP/ASP, now eLua tags, in the HTML pages.  So the
> uIP stack would listen for the http commands and do some processing on the
> HTML until a eLua tag is found, then send it over to eLua for compile and
> processing.
>
> The eLua tag is really a bunch of eLua code that gets compiled then
> executed.
>
> A new/clone "state" from the "eLua state"  has to be created because once
> the socket is over, the state is then deleted. Or you can use the same state
> and use it to cache the code, and just execute the instructions.  Since the
> html pages are static on the web server/ micro-controller.
>
> The main issue to me is memory, having a state per socket would use a lot of
> memory.  Caching would make sense, but that is a lot of work.  In simple
> terms, move all of the eLua script out from the HTML and just have simple
> asp tags that map to eLua/Lua functions.  Just upload a new Lua script/web
> pages then you have a way to extend the interface.
>
> Another Idea, use Lua to do XMLPRC/Ajax  processing, i.e. post XML pages and
> do all of the parsing in eLua, return the data, tables, etc, so on the web
> browser do all your work in Java script, i.e. tables, processing etc.  Thus
> using XML to get data, java script for presentation.

Nuccio Raciti Nuccio Raciti

Re: Elua with a web server (wrote in true 'C') inside.

I don't understand fully the "eLua" internals and I have just a little
knowledge on WEB technologies, but I'm enjoying it, and I began to see
that something works. As first step, I'm converting the "lhttpd" example
in native 'C' code.... after some performance tests, I will try some
AJAX example in order to understand where I have to optimise/implement.

Thanks for the help that I give.

Il giorno gio, 03/03/2011 alle 11.35 -0800, Tim michals ha scritto:

> I think the easiest would be a simple "C" web parser, to pull ASP tag
> and post  (AJAX) requests.  The AJAX and ASP then could run on a lua
> coroutine in a single lua state. So, inside of the main lua code you
> have a simple scheduler/dispatcher for events,  serial, A/D, AJAX, Web
> post requests, etc.   Yes, you loose the power have having lua script
> in the HTML, but to me that is replaced by having javascript parsing
> etc in the bowser.  Using HTML5 you can have a graphics ie gauges etc
> and just post values via socket and do all of the drawing graphics in
> java script...   One of the projects I was working with pulled java
> script, icons etc, from an external web site, so the embedded platform
> was nothing more then a simple get value/ set value using basic XML.
> But if you have SPI flash, it can live there...

Elua with a web server (wrote in 'C'): the first stirrings ...

Hi Bogdan,

I have a first (and limited) version of the web server, working enough
for a little demo.

here:  http://mizar32.dyndns.org/

Also there is a little AJAX application running on EVK1100.

Thanks for comments.

scritto:

> Hi,
>
> On Wed, Mar 2, 2011 at 8:28 PM, Nuccio Raciti <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > Hi Bogdan,
> >
> > I'm near to have a good web server on the "uip",
> > now the next step is to interpret some "elua" code
> > starting from a string.
> > (the code inside "<?elua ?> tags.)
> > Is there a simple way to call the elua API in order to run  it?
> > Many thanks for you help.
>
> I don't understand the full context of this. Is your server written in
> C? If so, you need to create a Lua state and call the Lua interpreter.
> Something like this:
>
> http://www.lua.org/pil/24.1.html
>
> If that's not the case please give me more details so I can understand
> your situation better.
>
> Best,
> Bogdan

Mike King Mike King

Re: Elua with a web server (wrote in 'C'): the first stirrings ...

Is the code published anywhere?

On Thu, Mar 10, 2011 at 11:23 AM, Nuccio Raciti <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Bogdan,
>
> I have a first (and limited) version of the web server, working enough
> for a little demo.
>
> here:  http://mizar32.dyndns.org/
>
> Also there is a little AJAX application running on EVK1100.
>
> Thanks for comments.
>
> Nuccio
>

> Il giorno mer, 02/03/2011 alle 20.35 +0200, Bogdan Marinescu ha
> scritto:
>> Hi,
>>
>> On Wed, Mar 2, 2011 at 8:28 PM, Nuccio Raciti <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> > Hi Bogdan,
>> >
>> > I'm near to have a good web server on the "uip",
>> > now the next step is to interpret some "elua" code
>> > starting from a string.
>> > (the code inside "<?elua ?> tags.)
>> > Is there a simple way to call the elua API in order to run  it?
>> > Many thanks for you help.
>>
>> I don't understand the full context of this. Is your server written in
>> C? If so, you need to create a Lua state and call the Lua interpreter.
>> Something like this:
>>
>> http://www.lua.org/pil/24.1.html
>>
>> If that's not the case please give me more details so I can understand
>> your situation better.
>>
>> Best,
>> Bogdan

Nuccio Raciti Nuccio Raciti

Re: Elua with a web server (wrote in 'C'): the first stirrings ...

not yet!

Martin Guy Martin Guy

On 10 March 2011 17:23, Nuccio Raciti <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I have a first (and limited) version of the web server, working enough
> for a little demo.
>
> here:  http://mizar32.dyndns.org/
>
> Also there is a little AJAX application running on EVK1100.

Grande! E complimenti! :)

Can you extract the patch(es) to enable avr32 eth support as a first thing?

Or send me (or make public? :) the modified version and tell me which
version it's based on and I'll see if I can prepare a patch

Martin Guy Martin Guy

Re: Elua with a web server (wrote in 'C'): the first stirrings ...

PS Works fine for me, if a bit slow.
Can I optimize your lua/C code for speed? :D

Mike King Mike King

Re: Elua with a web server (wrote in 'C'): the first stirrings ...

I agree it is slow.  I'm interested in seeing the code.  Maybe I can help.

On Fri, Mar 11, 2011 at 6:11 PM, Martin Guy <[hidden email]> wrote:
> PS Works fine for me, if a bit slow.
> Can I optimize your lua/C code for speed? :D

Re: Elua with a web server (wrote in 'C'): the first stirrings ...

Is it currently up for others right now?  I'm just getting timeouts,
and no ICMP response (although I can't recall if any of our other eth
implementations support icmp :-) )

On Fri, Mar 11, 2011 at 5:14 PM, Mike King <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I agree it is slow.  I'm interested in seeing the code.  Maybe I can help.
>
> On Fri, Mar 11, 2011 at 6:11 PM, Martin Guy <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> PS Works fine for me, if a bit slow.
>> Can I optimize your lua/C code for speed? :D

PGP: http://fanplastic.org/key.txt
Phone: (847) 448-0386
Martin Guy Martin Guy

Re: Elua with a web server (wrote in 'C'): the first stirrings ...

> PGP: http://fanplastic.org/key.txt

Hi!
  This address redirects me to blog.* which then gives 404.
Just thought I'd let u know

Cheers

Re: Elua with a web server (wrote in 'C'): the first stirrings ...

Thanks for the heads-up.  Fixed :-)

On Fri, Mar 11, 2011 at 5:20 PM, Martin Guy <[hidden email]> wrote:

>> PGP: http://fanplastic.org/key.txt
>
> Hi!
>  This address redirects me to blog.* which then gives 404.
> Just thought I'd let u know
>
> Cheers

PGP: http://fanplastic.org/key.txt
Phone: (847) 448-0386
Nuccio Raciti Nuccio Raciti

Re: Elua with a web server (wrote in 'C'): the first stirrings ...

> Can you extract the patch(es) to enable avr32 eth support as a first
thing?
yes, I have to do it soon.

Il giorno sab, 12/03/2011 alle 00.10 +0100, Martin Guy ha scritto:

> On 10 March 2011 17:23, Nuccio Raciti <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > I have a first (and limited) version of the web server, working enough
> > for a little demo.
> >
> > here:  http://mizar32.dyndns.org/
> >
> > Also there is a little AJAX application running on EVK1100.
>
> Grande! E complimenti! :)
>
> Can you extract the patch(es) to enable avr32 eth support as a first thing?
>
> Or send me (or make public? :) the modified version and tell me which
> version it's based on and I'll see if I can prepare a patch

Nuccio Raciti Nuccio Raciti

Elua with a web server and AVR32 network support.

Hi Bogdan,

I made the GitHub fork, now a my project
https://github.com/nuccioraciti/eLuaWebServer
is there.

Regarding the network support for AVR32, I can prepare a patch file or
if you prefer I can use the great GitHub (in which case I might need
help).

Let me know.

Nuccio