Elua with a web server (wrote in true 'C') inside.

Re: Elua with a web server and AVR32 network support.

On Sun, Mar 13, 2011 at 08:57, Nuccio Raciti <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi Bogdan,

I made the GitHub fork, now a my project
https://github.com/nuccioraciti/eLuaWebServer
is there.

Regarding the network support for AVR32, I can prepare a patch file or
if you prefer I can use the great GitHub (in which case I might need
help).

Let me know.

For projects and code forked from other repos, please take a look on github's concept of "Pull Request" at http://help.github.com/pull-requests/

Nuccio

Nuccio Raciti Nuccio Raciti

Re: Elua with a web server and AVR32 network support.

good, thanks.

Il giorno dom, 13/03/2011 alle 10.25 -0300, Dado Sutter ha scritto:

> On Sun, Mar 13, 2011 at 08:57, Nuccio Raciti <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>         Hi Bogdan,
>
>         I made the GitHub fork, now a my project
>         https://github.com/nuccioraciti/eLuaWebServer
>         is there.
>
>         Regarding the network support for AVR32, I can prepare a patch
>         file or
>         if you prefer I can use the great GitHub (in which case I
>         might need
>         help).
>
>         Let me know.
>
> For projects and code forked from other repos, please take a look on
> github's concept of "Pull Request" at
> http://help.github.com/pull-requests/
>

>         Nuccio
>
> Best
> Dado

Re: Elua with a web server and AVR32 network support.

I didn't take a look before, but essentially the one main thing we'd
like for people to do when making their own public copies with
modifications is to use the GitHub fork button so that it will keep
your public copy connected with ours so that if there are
modifications on your version it will show up here:
https://github.com/elua/elua/network

It looks like Nuccio's version is doing so.  Doing this is as simple
as following the instructions provided by GitHub (pretty much
initiated by going to https://github.com/elua/elua and clicking the
"Fork" button), and will make it easy to allow us to pull changes back
in when they're ready to merge back into the main project (as has been
mentioned before).

-jsnyder

On Sun, Mar 13, 2011 at 8:28 AM, Nuccio Raciti <[hidden email]> wrote:

> good, thanks.
>
> Il giorno dom, 13/03/2011 alle 10.25 -0300, Dado Sutter ha scritto:
>>

>> On Sun, Mar 13, 2011 at 08:57, Nuccio Raciti <[hidden email]>
>> wrote:
>>         Hi Bogdan,
>>
>>         I made the GitHub fork, now a my project
>>         https://github.com/nuccioraciti/eLuaWebServer
>>         is there.
>>
>>         Regarding the network support for AVR32, I can prepare a patch
>>         file or
>>         if you prefer I can use the great GitHub (in which case I
>>         might need
>>         help).
>>
>>         Let me know.
>>
>> For projects and code forked from other repos, please take a look on
>> github's concept of "Pull Request" at
>> http://help.github.com/pull-requests/
>>

>>         Nuccio
>>
>> Best
>> Dado

PGP: http://fanplastic.org/key.txt
Phone: (847) 448-0386

On Sun, Mar 13, 2011 at 21:37, James Snyder <[hidden email]> wrote:
I didn't take a look before, but essentially the one main thing we'd
like for people to do when making their own public copies with
modifications is to use the GitHub fork button so that it will keep
your public copy connected with ours so that if there are
modifications on your version it will show up here:
https://github.com/elua/elua/network

It looks like Nuccio's version is doing so.

Yes it is.

 Doing this is as simple
as following the instructions provided by GitHub (pretty much
initiated by going to https://github.com/elua/elua and clicking the
"Fork" button), and will make it easy to allow us to pull changes back
in when they're ready to merge back into the main project (as has been
mentioned before).

The only other work at github I know of (from Marcelo Politzer) is also based on a fork.
Other eLua-based applications exist at github (ex: Thiago Naves) and do not always need to be forks of the "main" project if they are, for example, Lua code applications.
I think we all have a lot to learn with the github way of living and we seem to have started well.

On Sun, Mar 13, 2011 at 22:06, Dado Sutter <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

Oooops. Just found one that is not. It's Andreas23 work on a port for the LPC2134

Other eLua-based applications exist at github (ex: Thiago Naves) and do not always need to be forks of the "main" project if they are, for example, Lua code applications.
I think we all have a lot to learn with the github way of living and we seem to have started well.

-jsnyder

On Sun, Mar 13, 2011 at 8:28 AM, Nuccio Raciti <[hidden email]> wrote:
> good, thanks.
>
> Il giorno dom, 13/03/2011 alle 10.25 -0300, Dado Sutter ha scritto:
>>

>> On Sun, Mar 13, 2011 at 08:57, Nuccio Raciti <[hidden email]>
>> wrote:
>>         Hi Bogdan,
>>
>>         I made the GitHub fork, now a my project
>>         https://github.com/nuccioraciti/eLuaWebServer
>>         is there.
>>
>>         Regarding the network support for AVR32, I can prepare a patch
>>         file or
>>         if you prefer I can use the great GitHub (in which case I
>>         might need
>>         help).
>>
>>         Let me know.
>>
>> For projects and code forked from other repos, please take a look on
>> github's concept of "Pull Request" at
>> http://help.github.com/pull-requests/
>>

>>         Nuccio
>>
>> Best
>> Dado

PGP: http://fanplastic.org/key.txt
Phone: (847) 448-0386

Nuccio Raciti Nuccio Raciti

Re: Elua with a web server (wrote in 'C'): the first stirrings ...

I did a GitHub fork in order to push eth support:
https://github.com/Mizar32/elua
... but it doesn't work using the "-Os" (the standard one for eLua)
optimisation, so it needs further investigation before the delivery.

Has anyone had similar problems?

Martin Guy Martin Guy

On 14 March 2011 15:24, Nuccio Raciti <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I did a GitHub fork in order to push eth support:
> https://github.com/Mizar32/elua
> ... but it doesn't work using the "-Os" (the standard one for eLua)
> optimisation, so it needs further investigation before the delivery.
>
> Has anyone had similar problems?

Thanks. How do I test this?
I was hoping for the "net" Lua module (as implemented on lm3s platform)
but doing the obvious copying of lines from lm3s/platform_conf.h into
avr32/MIZAR32/mizar32_conf.h and enabling anything that uses the net
module, such as BUILD_CON_TCP or the NET module, still results in the
compilation error

src/elua_uip.o: In function 'elua_net_send':
... "undefined reference to `platform_eth_force_interrupt'"

Re: Elua with a web server (wrote in 'C'): the first stirrings ...

Hi,

On Tue, Mar 15, 2011 at 7:37 AM, Martin Guy <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 14 March 2011 15:24, Nuccio Raciti <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> I did a GitHub fork in order to push eth support:
>> https://github.com/Mizar32/elua
>> ... but it doesn't work using the "-Os" (the standard one for eLua)
>> optimisation, so it needs further investigation before the delivery.
>>
>> Has anyone had similar problems?
>
> Thanks. How do I test this?
> I was hoping for the "net" Lua module (as implemented on lm3s platform)
> but doing the obvious copying of lines from lm3s/platform_conf.h into
> avr32/MIZAR32/mizar32_conf.h and enabling anything that uses the net
> module, such as BUILD_CON_TCP or the NET module, still results in the
> compilation error
>
> src/elua_uip.o: In function 'elua_net_send':
> ... "undefined reference to `platform_eth_force_interrupt'"

You still need to implement the Ethernet platform interface functions:

http://www.eluaproject.net/en_arch_platform_eth.html

Nuccio Raciti Nuccio Raciti

Eth support for AVR32

After a deep investigation, I discovered that the problem disappears building just "elua_uip.c" with no "-Os"
 ("-O2" or "-O3" are OK)

nuccio

> Hi,
> I did a GitHub fork in order to push eth support:
> https://github.com/Mizar32/elua
> ... but it doesn't work using the "-Os" (the standard one for eLua)
> optimisation, so it needs further investigation before the delivery.

> Has anyone had similar problems?

Martin Guy Martin Guy

Re: Eth support for AVR32

On 15 March 2011 11:37, Nuccio Raciti <[hidden email]> wrote:
> After a deep investigation, I discovered that the problem disappears building just "elua_uip.c" with no "-Os"
>  ("-O2" or "-O3" are OK)

Maybe this?
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/gcc-avr/+bug/620646

For which one workaround is to remove the "static" declaration from
one function, which would stop the function from being inlined.
If removing "static" from all functions in that file fixes the
problem, you can do a binary chop to identify the function(s) that
need this change to work round the compiler bug.

Nuccio Raciti Nuccio Raciti

Re: Eth support for AVR32

>problem, you can do a binary chop to identify the function(s) that
> need this change to work round the compiler bug.
It is a good idea, I'm going to do it ...
thanks

On Wed, Mar 16, 2011 at 1:18 AM, Martin Guy <[hidden email]> wrote:
On 15 March 2011 11:37, Nuccio Raciti <[hidden email]> wrote:
> After a deep investigation, I discovered that the problem disappears building just "elua_uip.c" with no "-Os"
>  ("-O2" or "-O3" are OK)

Maybe this?
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/gcc-avr/+bug/620646

For which one workaround is to remove the "static" declaration from
one function, which would stop the function from being inlined.
If removing "static" from all functions in that file fixes the
problem, you can do a binary chop to identify the function(s) that
need this change to work round the compiler bug.

Wow. Good catch, thank you. I wasn't even going to consider inlining problems at -Os.

Nuccio Raciti Nuccio Raciti

Eth support for AVR32 - resolved the "-Os" issue

The problem was related to the structure "elua_uip_state s" (**) that
should have been declared as "volatile".

Ciao,

(**) line 279, file elua_uip.c, function elua_uip_appcall().

Il giorno mer, 16/03/2011 alle 00.18 +0100, Martin Guy ha scritto:

> On 15 March 2011 11:37, Nuccio Raciti <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > After a deep investigation, I discovered that the problem disappears building just "elua_uip.c" with no "-Os"
> >  ("-O2" or "-O3" are OK)
>
> Maybe this?
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/gcc-avr/+bug/620646
>
> For which one workaround is to remove the "static" declaration from
> one function, which would stop the function from being inlined.
> If removing "static" from all functions in that file fixes the
> problem, you can do a binary chop to identify the function(s) that
> need this change to work round the compiler bug.

Marcelo Politzer Marcelo Politzer

Re: Eth support for AVR32

2011/3/16 Bogdan Marinescu <[hidden email]>:

> On Wed, Mar 16, 2011 at 1:18 AM, Martin Guy <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> On 15 March 2011 11:37, Nuccio Raciti <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> > After a deep investigation, I discovered that the problem disappears
>> > building just "elua_uip.c" with no "-Os"
>> >  ("-O2" or "-O3" are OK)
>>

>> Maybe this?
>> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/gcc-avr/+bug/620646
>>
>> For which one workaround is to remove the "static" declaration from
>> one function, which would stop the function from being inlined.
>> If removing "static" from all functions in that file fixes the
>> problem, you can do a binary chop to identify the function(s) that
>> need this change to work round the compiler bug.
>
> Wow. Good catch, thank you. I wasn't even going to consider inlining
> problems at -Os.
> Best,
> Bogdan

if you want to make it clear that the inline did the evil, you can
declare it as: "static ... __attribute__((noinline));".
To me, it seems a more clear way to show it.

best,
Marcelo
Nuccio Raciti Nuccio Raciti

i386 eLua simulator

what about an eLua simulator:

1- with the network support (using a TUN/TAP device http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TUN/TAP).
2- running as a user space linux application.
3- using the linux FS as /mmc /rom file systems.

is someone interested?
nuccio

Re: i386 eLua simulator

Hi,

On Thu, Mar 17, 2011 at 3:48 PM, Nuccio Raciti <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi,
what about an eLua simulator:

1- with the network support (using a TUN/TAP device http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TUN/TAP).
2- running as a user space linux application.
3- using the linux FS as /mmc /rom file systems.

There is already a target ('sim') that does 2 and 3 above.

Nuccio Raciti Nuccio Raciti

Re: i386 eLua simulator

really?
I thought we should restart the PC for every run.
the "sim" target is different of "i386" one?
Ciao,
nuccio

Il giorno gio, 17/03/2011 alle 15.51 +0200, Bogdan Marinescu ha scritto:

> Hi,
>
> On Thu, Mar 17, 2011 at 3:48 PM, Nuccio Raciti
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>         Hi,
>         what about an eLua simulator:
>
>         1- with the network support (using a TUN/TAP device
>         http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TUN/TAP).
>         2- running as a user space linux application.
>         3- using the linux FS as /mmc /rom file systems.
>

> There is already a target ('sim') that does 2 and 3 above.
>

> Best,
> Bogdan

Re: i386 eLua simulator

On Thu, Mar 17, 2011 at 4:06 PM, Nuccio Raciti <[hidden email]> wrote:
really?

Yes ;)

I thought we should restart the PC for every run.
the "sim" target is different of "i386" one?

Yes. You get an executable that you can run using ./run_elua_sim.sh (Linux only)

Il giorno gio, 17/03/2011 alle 15.51 +0200, Bogdan Marinescu ha scritto:
> Hi,
>
> On Thu, Mar 17, 2011 at 3:48 PM, Nuccio Raciti
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>         Hi,
>         what about an eLua simulator:
>
>         1- with the network support (using a TUN/TAP device
>         http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TUN/TAP).
>         2- running as a user space linux application.
>         3- using the linux FS as /mmc /rom file systems.
>

> There is already a target ('sim') that does 2 and 3 above.
>

> Best,
> Bogdan

Nuccio Raciti Nuccio Raciti

Re: i386 eLua simulator

good news,
I will try to add the network support...
ciao,
nuccio

Il giorno gio, 17/03/2011 alle 16.12 +0200, Bogdan Marinescu ha
scritto:

> On Thu, Mar 17, 2011 at 4:06 PM, Nuccio
> Raciti <[hidden email]> wrote:
>         really?
>

> Yes ;)
>
>         I thought we should restart the PC for every run.
>         the "sim" target is different of "i386" one?
>

> Yes. You get an executable that you can run using ./run_elua_sim.sh
> (Linux only)
>

> Best,
> Bogdan
>

>         Il giorno gio, 17/03/2011 alle 15.51 +0200, Bogdan Marinescu
>         ha scritto:
>
>         > Hi,
>         >
>         > On Thu, Mar 17, 2011 at 3:48 PM, Nuccio Raciti
>         > <[hidden email]> wrote:
>         >         Hi,
>         >         what about an eLua simulator:
>         >
>         >         1- with the network support (using a TUN/TAP device
>         >         http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TUN/TAP).
>         >         2- running as a user space linux application.
>         >         3- using the linux FS as /mmc /rom file systems.
>         >
>         >
>         > There is already a target ('sim') that does 2 and 3 above.
>         >
>         >
>         > Best,
>         > Bogdan
>         >
>         >

Re: i386 eLua simulator

On Thu, Mar 17, 2011 at 11:17, Nuccio Raciti <[hidden email]> wrote:
good news,
I will try to add the network support...

Cool.

Last year, Thiago Naves and Marcelo Politzer were also experimenting with Proteus (http://www.labcenter.com/products/vsm_overview.cfm), trying to find a suitable target to embedd eLua.
It would be great to have an eLua simulator on this kind of environment, as it already has interesting views and debug tools for the peripherals and even for simulated externally hardware connected to the MCU.
As it has happened to eLua on the real world, I hope it is just a matter of time that new and larger (RAM & ROM) MCUs appear on the Proteus supported set.

ciao,
nuccio

Best