tutorial series, request for feedback

Patrick Mc(avery Patrick Mc(avery

tutorial series, request for feedback

Hi Everyone

Here is a list of screencasts I would be interested in doing over the
next few months. If it would not be a case of spam, I could post
questions about these topics and then record a screencast the next day.
We could do this a little at a time. The email train might even be a
foundation for a wiki-book on elua. If I could get some coaching, I
could learn a lot.

Please let me know what you think, should some of these be deleted? are
there other topics that should be added?

Once this is complete, would this knowledge base approximate the level
of a entry level professional embedded designer? Again, Arduino is great
but I think it's more about providing an outlet for those who don't want
to work as embedded designers. I am thinking that the elua way of doing
things is a better education. It provides a gentle introduction but then
can be manipulated at lower levels such as C or even ASM and that a GCC
centric tool chain would provide nearly endless options later, at least
when compared with some manufacture's closed source IDE

Thanks-Patrick

Basics
microcontrollers vs processors vs microprocessors, what exactly is embedded?
briefly what elua offers
basic set up costs needed for working on embedded systems
flashing your board with Windows and closed source programs
run a prefabricated elua program
writing elua programs
using webuilder

Intermediate
background-other languages used in embedded design, what elua offers in
more depth
background-microcontrollers overview, arm, avr, pic etc
background-types of memory, flash, sram, etc
background-data buses, control buses, address buses etc
background-serial communication protocols, SPI, I2C, RS232,CAN, RS485 etc
background-External communication, USB, IrDA, Wireless
background-Sensors, light, hall-effect etc
background-open source toolchains and commercial ones
background-optional hardware, logical analyzers, oscilloscopes, chip
burners etc..
jtag/flashing with Linux
writing elua programs continued
cross compiling programs on the desktop
modules-Programmable input/output
modules-Serial peripheral interface
modules-Universal asynchronous receiver transmitter
modules-Physical and virtual timers
modules-Pulse width modulation
modules-TCP/IP networking
modules-Low level system access
modules-Analog to digital converter
modules-Platform data
modules-ANSI terminal access
modules-Bitwise operations
modules-Inter-integrated circuit protocol
modules-Remote procedure call
modules- elua system control
optional modules-OLED display support
optional modules-Extended PIO configuration
optional modules-Real time clock
other features-Embedded HTTP web server
other features-FP module (for integer Lua)
other features-XMODEM protocol support for console file transfer
other features-Embedded ROM (Flash) file system
other features-FAT File System layer for mmc/sd cards
other features-Terminal / Console over UART or Ethernet
other features-eLua command shell
other features-Lua interrupt handlers
other features-C interrupt handlers
other features-eLua LTR (Lua Tiny RAM) patch
other features-eLua EGC (Emergency Garbage Collection) patch
other features-Remote (PC) File Sharing
other features-eLua web build service

lua internals, "dragon book stuff" parsing, tokenizing etc
elua internals
creating a new port
highjacking circuit boards
demo-valve control
demo-stepper motors
demo-heating control
demo-A/D photodiodes
demo-A/D photomultiplier tubes
demo-LED displays
demo-digital to Analog conversion
demo-relay control
demo-more ideas to come....
ecad-open source tools for PCB design
ecad-tutorials more to come....

Here is a list of the tutorials already written for your reference

development-already done
Flashing tools
Taming OpenOCD - Using OpenOCD with eLua under Linux, by Bogdan Marinescu
OpenOCD in Linux - Installing the new OpenOCD in Linux, by Dado Sutter
Debugging with OpenOCD - Using OpenOCD to inspect code on chip, by
Thiago Naves
eLua Web Builder
Web Builder Basics - First steps on using the eLua Web Builder service,
by Dado Sutter
Toolchains Building
Building an ARM EABI Toolchain - Building an ARM EABI Toolchain with
GCC, by James Snyder
Building eLua in Windows - Toolchain install for development under
Windows, by Bogdan Marinescu
Revision Control
Getting eLua's Sources - Working with the repositories where eLua
development is done.

other-already done
eLua Presentations
elua on FLOSS Weekly - James Snyder talking about eLua on
http://twit.tv/FLOSS}FLOSS%20Weekly%20podcast
Audio only
Hires video
Lowres video
eLua v0.7 on EK-LM3S6965 - 7:45 min demo of eLua on a Texas Instruments
Cortex-M3 kit by James Snyder
eLua on The Lua Workshop 2009 - eLua talks in the Lua Workshop 2009
(Dado Sutter and Bogdan Marinescu)
Papers
Ginga-NCL: implementaçao de referência para dispositivos portáteis
(Portuguese)
Matthias Hagl - Embedded Lua als Programmierumgebung für einen Atmel
AT91SAM7X256 Mikrocontroller (German)

Already done-Basic
Programming in eLua - How to use the eLua in your Lua program
Using eLua - Using eLua on terminals over serial and TCP/IP connections
The eLua shell - See what you can do in eLua without even running Lua
eLua File Systems - The different and coexistent eLua file systems
Terminal Emulators for eLua - How not to get crazy trying to use a
terminal emulator program nowadays
Wiki help - Infos about editing and maintaining this wiki site
Descobrindo Lua - Dicas pra começar a aprender Lua, PT_BR
Recipes - eLua/Lua Recipes

Intermediate-already done
Booting eLua on a PC - Using standalone eLua on a desktop PC
Booting eLua from an USB stick - Booting eLua from a pendrive on your
desktop PC
Cross-compiling eLua programs - Compile Lua programs before storing them
in the eLua File Systems

advanced-already done
CAN & eLuaRPC Video - Testing CAN and eLua Remote Procedure Calls video,
by James Snyder
LuaRPC in eLua - Controlling eLua with LuaRPC, by James Snyder
Writing C modules for eLua - Writing a generic/platform-independent
module in C for eLua, by Marcelo Politzer

Heinz Heinz

Re: tutorial series, request for feedback

Hi Patrick,

there is quite some work you are about to do. t would be great to have
such tutorials.
Screencasts are a very good way of doing it. Especially for getting an
overview and step by step
tutorials.

There are different levels of knowledge you can target at:
- none sw-developer using pure LUA
- none embedded programmer
- embedded programmer not used to script languages in there targets

Especially for the first level and partly for the second level there
needs to be a simple
way of editing files on the target. Bogdans eLuaBrain is obviously a way
of doing it.

Or an even more simple way: sd-card and editing on the PC

The other way - mainly for internet connected targets - would be the
project I have posted some time ago.
see http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_jLPY-GeYa0 or
https://github.com/kheinz57/eLuaWebDevice

Heinz

On 11-12-09 01:52 PM, heinz wrote:

> Hi Patrick,
>
> there is quite some work you are about to do. t would be great to have
> such tutorials.
> Screencasts are a very good way of doing it. Especially for getting an
> overview and step by step
> tutorials.
>
> There are different levels of knowledge you can target at:
> - none sw-developer using pure LUA
> - none embedded programmer
> - embedded programmer not used to script languages in there targets
>
> Especially for the first level and partly for the second level there
> needs to be a simple
> way of editing files on the target. Bogdans eLuaBrain is obviously a
> way of doing it.
>
> Or an even more simple way: sd-card and editing on the PC
>
> The other way - mainly for internet connected targets - would be the
> project I have posted some time ago.
> see http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_jLPY-GeYa0 or
> https://github.com/kheinz57/eLuaWebDevice
>
> Heinz
Hi Heinz

Thanks for the feedback. I watched your screencasts last night too, very
nice :) Part 3 seems to be missing though, or was that just me?
I think your sd card suggestion is really good, thanks for it.

Thanks-Patrick
Patrick Mc(avery Patrick Mc(avery

Re: tutorial series, request for feedback

Hi Guys

I am planning on starting my screencasts tonight. If any of this is
stupid, could you please tell me now before I screw myself

Thanks