official docs and community wiki

King, Mike King, Mike

official docs and community wiki

I’ve noticed that the wiki has similar content as the official docs.  Is this intended?  I see the value in having official documentation and have community content.  Microsoft has a similar practice, but they merge the two on the same page (ex: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa363858%28v=vs.85%29.aspx).  This way it’s easy to know if they is commentary and where to find it.  Does the eLua community think this is a good idea?  Or, is this a non-issue?

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: This e-mail message, including any attachments, is for the sole use of the intended recipient(s) and may contain information that is confidential or proprietary to K&L Microwave, Inc. Any unauthorized review, use, disclosure or distribution is prohibited. If this communication has been transmitted from a U.S. location it may also contain data subject to the International Traffic in Arms Regulations or U.S. Export Administration Regulations and, if so, cannot be disseminated, distributed or copied to foreign nationals, residing in the U.S. or abroad, without the prior approval of the U.S. Department of State or appropriate export licensing authority. If you have received this communication in error, please notify the sender by reply e-mail and delete or destroy all copies of this e-mail message and/or any file attachment(s).

Re: official docs and community wiki

> I’ve noticed that the wiki has similar content as the official docs.  Is
> this intended?  I see the value in having official documentation and have
> community content.  Microsoft has a similar practice, but they merge the two
> on the same page (ex:
> http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa363858%28v=vs.85%29.aspx).  This
> way it’s easy to know if they is commentary and where to find it.  Does the
> eLua community think this is a good idea?  Or, is this a non-issue?

I'll let Dado explain this one, he has a whole plan up his sleeve :)

Re: official docs and community wiki

Hello,

On Mon, Feb 7, 2011 at 17:38, King, Mike <[hidden email]> wrote:

I’ve noticed that the wiki has similar content as the official docs.  Is this intended?

No it is not.

I see the value in having official documentation and have community content.  Microsoft has a similar practice, but they merge the two on the same page (ex: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa363858%28v=vs.85%29.aspx).  This way it’s easy to know if they is commentary and where to find it.  Does the eLua community think this is a good idea?  Or, is this a non-issue?

  I would like to be ready to announce a new site(s) and doc structure but, unfortunately, we need a couple of weeks more (up to 4 on the worse scenario).
  We started migrating some content from the "main site" to the wiki but we ended up launching v0.8 with some (silly) redundancies. I'm sorry for that and I hope a new site/doc structure will fix all of this soon.
  Both the "main" site and the wiki will be more "integrated" and it should be easy to navigate from them to some other services too (ie: web builder, issue tracker).
  A new format and web design should help to make the site(s) more appealing for the large and varied audience we have, maybe one of our biggest difficulties. But the important thing, of course, is the content we have there and this is one of the reasons we started moving tutorials, projects, platform-specific infos and other user-oriented content to the wiki format, hoping that we would have more help from the community to maintain it too.
  The Reference Manual (pls send me a better name for this ! :) :) will still be part of the main site and yes, I agree it can be enhanced with some more parameters infos and code examples. Again, it is nice to hear comments and suggestions here on the list, thanks.

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: This e-mail message, including any attachments, is for the sole use of the intended recipient(s) and may contain information that is confidential or proprietary to K&L Microwave, Inc. Any unauthorized review, use, disclosure or distribution is prohibited. If this communication has been transmitted from a U.S. location it may also contain data subject to the International Traffic in Arms Regulations or U.S. Export Administration Regulations and, if so, cannot be disseminated, distributed or copied to foreign nationals, residing in the U.S. or abroad, without the prior approval of the U.S. Department of State or appropriate export licensing authority. If you have received this communication in error, please notify the sender by reply e-mail and delete or destroy all copies of this e-mail message and/or any file attachment(s).

King, Mike King, Mike

Re: official docs and community wiki

It’s good to hear the structure is going to be revised.  I’ve following the project for awhile but haven’t really tried to using eLua.  I’ve started this process now but I’m finding it difficult to find all the information that I need.  The information appears to be all there but discovery is a problem.   I think it would help to have a more linear way (one topic leads to the next) of explaining the topics (like a book).  I’ve always liked the FreeBSD Handbook.  The “Programming in Lua” is also amazing.  I don’t understand how Brazilians can write so well in English.  They write better than me, and I only know one language.  They put me to shame.

Re: official docs and community wiki

> It’s good to hear the structure is going to be revised.  I’ve following the
> project for awhile but haven’t really tried to using eLua.  I’ve started
> this process now but I’m finding it difficult to find all the information
> that I need.  The information appears to be all there but discovery is a
> problem.

You have only me to blame for that. I designed the menu system when
there was much less information available and didn't update it propely
when things changed on this front. I believe Dado's plans will make
this much better. In any case, please feel free to ask here whenever
you can't find something you need in the docs. I promise I'll not RTFM
you :)

Best,
Bodan

Patrick-11 Patrick-11

Re: official docs and community wiki

I don’t understand how Brazilians can write so well in English.
They write better than me, and I only know one language. They put me to
shame.

+1

I could not have said it better, this sort of thing is the reason why I
registered Spelling Bee Winnars .org. I wish I could learn Portuguese :(
  -Patrick

On Mon, Feb 7, 2011 at 19:09, King, Mike <[hidden email]> wrote:

It’s good to hear the structure is going to be revised.  I’ve following the project for awhile but haven’t really tried to using eLua.  I’ve started this process now but I’m finding it difficult to find all the information that I need.  The information appears to be all there but discovery is a problem.

This is true. Our site(s) content grew a lot since we started and it is about time we organize it better. I've been struggling to find more time and resources for this but we end up focusing on the code and main features. It appears that it will work now and we'll soon have a new site(s) and doc structure.

Thanks for raising the main issues and for sharing your impressions. This is very (very!) important for us.

 I think it would help to have a more linear way (one topic leads to the next) of explaining the topics (like a book).  I’ve always liked the FreeBSD Handbook.

Yep.

  The “Programming in Lua” is also amazing.

I don’t understand how Brazilians can write so well in English.

Oh, that is Roberto :)

They write better than me, and I only know one language.  They put me to shame.

me too :)  And I appreciate the help we have for English revisions, from James and others.

On Mon, Feb 7, 2011 at 19:22, Patrick Mc(avery <[hidden email]> wrote:
I don’t understand how Brazilians can write so well in English.
They write better than me, and I only know one language. They put me to
shame.

+1

I could not have said it better, this sort of thing is the reason why I registered Spelling Bee Winnars .org. I wish I could learn Portuguese :(  -Patrick

Come down for a couple of weeks during Carnival and you'll go back dreaming in Portuguese :P

Thanks again for the kind words.