/mmc

Hello eLuers,
   I'm testing Alvarez's eagle-mmc FS on SD Card and I have some questions:

- mini-sd cards on EK-LM3S8962 board is supported right ?
- is there something to be initialized of configured before using ?
- do I need a special mkfs for the card before using ? (fat32 now)

Mine does not seem to come alive upon reset.
ls/dir shows an empty /mmc fs on the shell.
io.open("/mmc/test.lua", "w") returns nil.

Thanks for the help!

-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...

/mmc

I didn't look at the code, but a few thoughts:

- are you sure the FAT support gets compiled in?
- try with another MMC/SD card, might be an initialization problem (these
are pretty common unfortunately).
- try formatting it with FAT12 (or FAT16, depending on the size) and then
try again (I don't know how well FAT32 is supported by Elm's code).

On Tue, Feb 17, 2009 at 11:54 PM, Dado Sutter <dadosutter at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello eLuers,
>    I'm testing Alvarez's eagle-mmc FS on SD Card and I have some questions:
>
> - mini-sd cards on EK-LM3S8962 board is supported right ?
> - is there something to be initialized of configured before using ?
> - do I need a special mkfs for the card before using ? (fat32 now)
>
> Mine does not seem to come alive upon reset.
> ls/dir shows an empty /mmc fs on the shell.
> io.open("/mmc/test.lua", "w") returns nil.
>
> Thanks for the help!
>
> Best
> Dado

-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...

Jesus Alvarez Jesus Alvarez

/mmc

Dado,

The EK-LM3S8962 should support microSD cards. The mmc.c file assumes the
card chip select is on PG0 (see section "GPIO for card chip select"). Please
confirm that is the case on your board. The EK-LM3S6965 uses PD0 and the
Eagle-100 uses PG1 so that varies with the design of the board.

If your card does not show any files with 'ls', I suspect the FatFs code is
not able to read the directory.

I have not used FatFs with FAT32 cards, although the code does support them.
If your card is 4 GB or less I would suggest formatting it using FAT instead
of FAT32. The FatFs site refers to FAT32 mainly for cards >4GB.

You do not need to use a special mkfs for the card. Formatting the card on a
PC works fine.

Regards,
Jesus Alvarez

/mmc

The other thing you may wish to consider is whether the disk is
formatted as a superfloppy or has a partition map. FatFS says that it
supports both, but maybe something weird is going on.

I just had a Kingston microSD 1G card that my Mac tells me is Fat16
formatted, and that seems to work fine.

Of note: I didn't change or adjust any build settings, so at least for
LM3S6965 this wasn't needed.

-jsnyder

jbsnyder at fanplastic.org
http://fanplastic.org/key.txt
ph: (847) 644-2322

/mmc

Thank you guys,
   Alvarez; my EK-LM3S8962 in an unmodified kit, so CS should be on PG_0 but
I'll double check it. The mini-SD I have here has 512MB. I'll reformat the
card as FAT and test again.
   James; reformating will sweep away other weird format/partition's
problems.

Tks again

On Tue, Feb 17, 2009 at 19:16, Jesus Alvarez <jalvarez at micromint.com> wrote:

> Dado,
>
> The EK-LM3S8962 should support microSD cards. The mmc.c file assumes the
> card chip select is on PG0 (see section "GPIO for card chip select").
> Please
> confirm that is the case on your board. The EK-LM3S6965 uses PD0 and the
> Eagle-100 uses PG1 so that varies with the design of the board.
>
> If your card does not show any files with 'ls', I suspect the FatFs code is
> not able to read the directory.
>
> I have not used FatFs with FAT32 cards, although the code does support
> them.
> If your card is 4 GB or less I would suggest formatting it using FAT
> instead
> of FAT32. The FatFs site refers to FAT32 mainly for cards >4GB.
>
> You do not need to use a special mkfs for the card. Formatting the card on
> PC works fine.
>
> Regards,
> Jesus Alvarez

-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...

/mmc

Actually, reformatting won't sweep away weird partitioning problems. Try to
use fdisk (or cfdisk) from Ubuntu to repartition your card into a single FAT
primary partition, THEN format it, then try again. This is how I got one of
my cards working a while ago, because initially it had an extremely weird
partitioning scheme.
Careful with (c)fdisk though, you don't wanna mess up your HDD :)

On Wed, Feb 18, 2009 at 12:31 AM, Dado Sutter <dadosutter at gmail.com> wrote:

> Thank you guys,
>    Alvarez; my EK-LM3S8962 in an unmodified kit, so CS should be on PG_0
> but I'll double check it. The mini-SD I have here has 512MB. I'll reformat
> the card as FAT and test again.
>    James; reformating will sweep away other weird format/partition's
> problems.
>
> Tks again
> Best
> Dado
>

> On Tue, Feb 17, 2009 at 19:16, Jesus Alvarez <jalvarez at micromint.com>wrote:
>
>> Dado,
>>
>> The EK-LM3S8962 should support microSD cards. The mmc.c file assumes the
>> card chip select is on PG0 (see section "GPIO for card chip select").
>> Please
>> confirm that is the case on your board. The EK-LM3S6965 uses PD0 and the
>> Eagle-100 uses PG1 so that varies with the design of the board.
>>
>> If your card does not show any files with 'ls', I suspect the FatFs code
>> is
>> not able to read the directory.
>>
>> I have not used FatFs with FAT32 cards, although the code does support
>> them.
>> If your card is 4 GB or less I would suggest formatting it using FAT
>> instead
>> of FAT32. The FatFs site refers to FAT32 mainly for cards >4GB.
>>
>> You do not need to use a special mkfs for the card. Formatting the card on
>> PC works fine.
>>
>> Regards,
>> Jesus Alvarez

An HTML attachment was scrubbed...

/mmc

Sure!
   When I said reformatting, I meant low-level formatting :)
   And yes, I'll take care of sda :)