mizar32 Lua board on sale

Thiago Naves Thiago Naves

Re: [SPAM] Re: ARM9 Embedded PLC

Just bought one of those. I'll pick it up tomorrow...
Maybe I write a review when I get it working ;)

On Dec 2, 2012 2:56 PM, "Quentin Barry" <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hello Tim

Very interesting - the Classic Ladder bit.

I have a substantial implementation of the Modbus RTU protocol on my ARM9 board.

Thanks for the link.

Quentin

Here is a low cost board...
JeroenDS made amazing PLC project with iMX233-OLinuXino: http://leachy.homeip.net/olinuxino/

Re: [SPAM] Re: ARM9 Embedded PLC

On Sun, Dec 2, 2012 at 1:55 PM, Quentin Barry <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hello Tim

Very interesting - the Classic Ladder bit.

I have a substantial implementation of the Modbus RTU protocol on my ARM9 board.

Is your Modbus code open source and available on an online repo?

Thanks for the link.

Quentin

Thanksssssssss
Dado

Quentin Barry Quentin Barry

[...]

Voice - <a moz-do-not-send="true" href="tel:860-232-1614">860-232-1614
Skype ID - digysol

On Sat, Dec 29, 2012 at 11:59 PM, Quentin <[hidden email]> wrote:
I have to clean up the code first before I release it into the public domain.

Cool!
No hurry.
Thanksssssss

I also have to complete the manual as there are many new features that have been added. The standard Modbus functions work as per the specification, however I added more message types to allow one to use this over a GPRS/3G modem.

Sounds nice! I've never used Modbus over the air.

For example, reporting on exception. This saves on bandwidth and the master does not have to poll all the units in the field continuously.

Very cool. Thanks for sharing. It seems like it deserves to become a specific optional module for eLua apps in the future.

Quentin

Best wishes
Dado

[...]

Voice - <a href="tel:860-232-1614" target="_blank">860-232-1614
Skype ID - digysol

Mike King Mike King

Tony-12 Tony-12

Re: [SPAM] Re: [SPAM] Re: ARM9 Embedded PLC

As an automation software developer, I'll add a few more off-topic comments:
-- Yes, ladder logic is still widely used.  The better vendors support IEC61131, which includes classic ladder, structured text (ST; Pascal/Basic style syntax), plus 3 other choices.
-- Yes, ladder logic is still awful.  Even in ST, calling functions is painful, and, on the Panasonic FP0-R's I normally use, calling functions doesn't save code space; instead, the compiler treats them as macros.
-- However, IEC61131 with ST is much better than many other industrial automation languages I've had to use, such as Allmotion, Schneider/IMS MDrive, Moog/Animatics SmartMotors, Galil, and a whole bunch of others.
-- PLC's are very much real time; the code is executed as a cyclical loop, with inputs read at the start, then all the code is executed in order, at the end the outputs are set and then communications are handled before starting the next loop.
-- The only decent book on real world PLC programming is Gary Kirckof's Cascading Logic, which is small but pricey.  Also, check out the Automation Primer site ( http://www.automationprimer.com ) for an idea of real world automation.
-- There can be political reasons, too; for example, I've heard at many union companies, the electricians can only use ladder logic, but not a higher level language such as C (because of union rules).
-- I'm happy I can do most of my development in .NET (VB.NET and C# - I'm tempted to use F#).  Ladder logic can be done well, but it's easy to create spaghetti code.  A hard real time high level scripting language would be wonderful....

--Tony

Mike King Mike King

Quentin Barry Quentin Barry

Re: [SPAM] Re: [SPAM] Re: [SPAM] Re: ARM9 Embedded PLC

If I may add my two cents here...

Before the advent of the Z80, 8051, 8085 families and other CPUs similar from various vendors, most machinery was controlled with relays, contactors and timers. A good example would be the classic star-delta starter circuit with hardwired interlocks. The first computer bug found was a moth stuck between relay contacts.

Ladder is easy to use and easy to read, as long as each element is labeled. PLCs were originally designed to be deterministic. The original concept did not involve multi-tasking. In fact if one wants to control a servo motor for example, a dedicated card with an application specific CPU is fitted. This allows the card to track the encoder without missing any pulses and to exercise precise control over the servo motor. All the main PLC CPU program does is to supply the Servo card with positioning data.

Another factor to consider is deterministic control - i.e. to set up a fixed scan cycle allows one to control PID loops easily. The Telemecanique and Mitsubishi PLCs are some of the models that I have worked on that have this facility. For example if all your code executes in 87 mS then you can set the scan cycle to 100 mS. So for 13 mS it is idle after a scan and then it will process all the input signals - analogue and digital. It will run through the ladder logic, and PID loops, update the outputs and process the communication layers. It will then "rest" again for 13 mS. Instead of wasting the idle time, one can insert a self test algorithm here, that executes for 13 mS and then yields control over to the main tasks. At the end of the next scan the self test can resume where it left off and so the cycle repeats.

Historically there has been much debate about the use of Ethernet in Industrial control systems. That's why there are so many different protocols out there. Some people feel that Ethernet is not deterministic. The PLC vendors - i.e. Mitsubishi use Melsec Net - which is deterministic. This is especially important if you have one PLC controlling the head motor or VSD of a 6 Km conveyor belt and another controlling the tail motor or VSD of the same conveyor belt. Synchronisation of data is critical and both VSDs must run at the same speed and accelerate and decelerate at the same time. If this was not the case, at the minimum the conveyor belt will snap, at the worst the system can oscillate, and if the oscillation happens to be at the "right" harmonic it just gets amplified and amplified until the structure collapses - every metal structure has a harmonic which it is susceptible to.

With the advent if IEC 61131 it allows the software developer to create function blocks with pre-defined inputs and outputs. The control logic resides in the function block. One can thus create a generic all purpose motor drive function block for example. This would include inputs for interlocking purposes, fail safe purposes, and it would also check the health of the motor. It is the function of the software developer to test this algorithm vigorously. This same function block can then be used to start pumps, motors etc. and to turn the motor off if some other device in the field fails. For example, motor 1 may need motor 2 to run before it can turn on. If this condition is met then motor 1 will start - however if motor 2 fails at any instant, motor 1 must also turn off.

In my experience I have found that by creating function blocks (call them sub-routines to which you pass and receive parameters) one can enable the Electricians to develop their own code using standardised modules. This allows them to debug the system in real time. For example, one mine in South Africa is 2 miles deep. Plugging into the system on the surface allows them to fault find the system and save time. They soon get an idea of what has failed and they then know which components to take with them underground to repair the system.

As to connecting to a SCADA system, Ethernet as a backbone is ample. Using Melsec Net I have made online real time changes to the Slave PLCs which are located kilometers away. Granted we made use of fibre optic cable, but we could still achieve this. Or else I could "look" into the field PLCs and see what was preventing the system from starting. Faulty limit switches, Pull Switches etc.

On a parting note, PLCs are extremely robust animals. All the field signals are isolated from each other and from the PLC electronics. So if some monkey connects 380 V to a 4 - 20 mA analog input channel, only the analogue card will need replacing. I have personally witnessed an electrician connect 380 VAC to a Mitsubishi PLC power supply. He mixed up the neutral wire with another phase. All that happened is that the circuit breaker tripped. He rectified his mistake, and to my amazement the PSU still functioned.

On the downside, IEC 61131 compilers are expensive. It's fine purchasing one for a particular brand of PLC, but if you suddenly land a job  which has a Siemens PLC then you have to purchase that compiler too. PLCs are also expensive, but they are robust industrial specified devices which run for many years. A PC can never replace a PLC. They just do not have the MTBF of a PLC, and down time means a loss in revenue. I would like to see how long a PC lasts in a coal mine before it either fails or causes a fire.

Regards

Quentin

[...]

 Voice -<A href="tel:860-232-1614"> 860-232-1614
Skype ID - digysol

Mike King Mike King

Re: [SPAM] Re: [SPAM] Re: [SPAM] Re: ARM9 Embedded PLC

Thank you Quentin for sharing your thoughts on this topic!

Tony-12 Tony-12

Re: [SPAM] Re: [SPAM] Re: [SPAM] Re: ARM9 Embedded PLC

More off-topic comments below; it's always fun to learn about different areas (my experience is mostly on high precision machines with servo motors).

To get sort-of back on topic, I do think Lua/eLua would make an excellent language for industrial automation.  I don't think we could convert many PLC users, but I do like the idea of an "eLua PLC" (eLua running on a platform with PLC-style I/O, e.g. 24V isolated inputs and outputs, not 5V or 3.3V).

Many industrial controllers (including robot controllers) already use the combination of interpreted higher level language that calls low level routines.  For the bulk of my code, ladder logic simply wouldn't work, but Lua would be fine (I've used Python in the past), but for political reasons I have to use .NET.

On Sat, Jan 5, 2013 at 3:52 AM, Quentin Barry <[hidden email]> wrote:
If I may add my two cents here...

Before the advent of the Z80, 8051, 8085 families and other CPUs similar from various vendors, most machinery was controlled with relays, contactors and timers. A good example would be the classic star-delta starter circuit with hardwired interlocks. The first computer bug found was a moth stuck between relay contacts.

Ladder is easy to use and easy to read, as long as each element is labeled. PLCs were originally designed to be deterministic. The original concept did not involve multi-tasking. In fact if one wants to control a servo motor for example, a dedicated card with an application specific CPU is fitted. This allows the card to track the encoder without missing any pulses and to exercise precise control over the servo motor. All the main PLC CPU program does is to supply the Servo card with positioning data.

Ladder is easy to use and read as long as your problem easily fits into combinatorial logic.  If you start needing data manipulation, to interface with serial barcode reader protocols, or a lot of other areas it sucks.  If you want to do servo motion control, a motion controller is often a better approach (we've done PLC motion control and it wasn't pretty; PLCOpen looks better but I haven't used it).

Another factor to consider is deterministic control - i.e. to set up a fixed scan cycle allows one to control PID loops easily. The Telemecanique and Mitsubishi PLCs are some of the models that I have worked on that have this facility. For example if all your code executes in 87 mS then you can set the scan cycle to 100 mS. So for 13 mS it is idle after a scan and then it will process all the input signals - analogue and digital. It will run through the ladder logic, and PID loops, update the outputs and process the communication layers. It will then "rest" again for 13 mS. Instead of wasting the idle time, one can insert a self test algorithm here, that executes for 13 mS and then yields control over to the main tasks. At the end of the next scan the self test can resume where it left off and so the cycle repeats.

Fixed cycle time is pretty common; even my low end Panasonics can do that.  However, I'm not sure how necessary it is now; I'm pretty sure many PLCs have built-in PID instructions.  If you need high speed PID loops without writing your own code, use a motion controller (1->20Khz is pretty common; I've seen one rated at 200KHz).

[...]

We used Mitsubishi a long time ago, and back then they were well known for crappy software and bad documentation (I found several errors without even trying) - hopefully it's better now.  Standard Ethernet with TCP/IP and normal switches is not deterministic, although lightly loaded systems might work well.  BTW, Mitsubishi's CC-Link IE uses Gigabit Ethernet physical layer, but it is not standard (e.g. uses token passing).

With the advent if IEC 61131 it allows the software developer to create function blocks with pre-defined inputs and outputs. The control logic resides in the function block. One can thus create a generic all purpose motor drive function block for example. This would include inputs for interlocking purposes, fail safe purposes, and it would also check the health of the motor. It is the function of the software developer to test this algorithm vigorously. This same function block can then be used to start pumps, motors etc. and to turn the motor off if some other device in the field fails. For example, motor 1 may need motor 2 to run before it can turn on. If this condition is met then motor 1 will start - however if motor 2 fails at any instant, motor 1 must also turn off.

IEC61131 functions and function calls are still bad compared to a normal language, even C.  I've dealt with hard-wired (relay) circuits for such things as standby pump control and reactor rod insertion interlocks.  There's still a place for them (I don't fully trust software).  If your logic is mainly as you describe, then ladder logic sounds like a decent match.

[...]

We don't use SCADA; we use a PC for HMI, and our customers don't allow outside access.

On a parting note, PLCs are extremely robust animals. All the field signals are isolated from each other and from the PLC electronics. So if some monkey connects 380 V to a 4 - 20 mA analog input channel, only the analogue card will need replacing. I have personally witnessed an electrician connect 380 VAC to a Mitsubishi PLC power supply. He mixed up the neutral wire with another phase. All that happened is that the circuit breaker tripped. He rectified his mistake, and to my amazement the PSU still functioned.

Typically, modules are isolated but the individual I/O lines aren't isolated from each other.  I'll agree that PLC's are pretty robust; I've only had 1 fail, and I've shorted Panasonic PLC's more than once (24V power to ground).

On the downside, IEC 61131 compilers are expensive. It's fine purchasing one for a particular brand of PLC, but if you suddenly land a job  which has a Siemens PLC then you have to purchase that compiler too. PLCs are also expensive, but they are robust industrial specified devices which run for many years. A PC can never replace a PLC. They just do not have the MTBF of a PLC, and down time means a loss in revenue. I would like to see how long a PC lasts in a coal mine before it either fails or causes a fire.

PLC software costs depend more on the vendor than on IEC611 compliance, e.g. Allen Bradley is very expensive.  However, Panasonic's FPWinPro is reasonable, and there's a free, code-size limited version.  PLC prices range from <$100 (Automation Direct) to $3K or more.

Yes, an industrial PC (e.g. Kontron, Wago, Phoenix, Beckhoff, etc DIN rail mounted with no cooling fan or a x86-equipped PAC from Omron) can replace a PLC, although a lot of times they're still running ladder logic -- and they're a lot more expensive than a Dell.

Regards

Quentin

Martin Guy Martin Guy

On 12 January 2013 02:03, Tony <[hidden email]> wrote:
> but I do like the idea of an "eLua PLC" (eLua running on a platform
> with PLC-style I/O, e.g. 24V isolated inputs and outputs, not 5V or 3.3V).

That's relatively easy to do with a Mizar32 and its prototyping board
by wiring op-amps to its 66 GPIOs and finding 24V somewhere.

Personally I'd like to have luasockets, Lua File System and so on as
interfaces, so as to be able to use all the libraries that need them.

For some, such as luasockets, an implementation should be possible in
Lua on the existing net.*() interface.