introduction

Dean Hall Dean Hall

introduction

Hello, I just joined the list and wanted to introduce myself.  My name
is Dean and I'm an embedded software engineer by training and
profession.  My hobbies include microcontrollers and robotics.  I
believe having a language with an interactive prompt makes development
more quick and pleasant.  I started PyMite 8 years ago to try to bring
Python to 8-bit AVRs, but PyMite never reached maturity due to the
limited RAM of the target controllers.

Eight years later, 32-bit microcontrollers are cheap and have much
more RAM available.  So here I am looking at eLua as a candidate to
port to the AVR32 / AT32UC3A1512-based board that I am currently
designing.  Other candidate languages include PyMite and tinypy
because I know Python better than I know Lua.

I am impressed that you have been able to create the modules to
support the peripherals (I2C, PWM, ethernet, etc.) in a manner very
similar to what I wanted to do 8 years ago.  I believe the general
robotics hobbyist could learn Lua easier than Python, so that is
another point in eLua's favor.

So I'm going to lurk around for a while and learn.  My AT32UC3A1512
board is a part-time endeavor, so it will be a while until I have a
target to port to.

regards,

!!Dean

introduction

Hello List,
   Dear Dean, welcome aboard !!!!!! :)
   We hope to enhance the doc soon, so you can discover other subtle
beauties Lua can offer to the embedded world. I bet you won't go back to
TinyPy after tasting it :)
   We are not yet on our v1.0 but we eLua is very functional already.
   AVR32 support is "on the oven" and you can already try it from the trunk
svn source. It will very likely be part of our next release. Pls let us know
if you need something extra to build it to your board. Is it a custom design
? Will it be available as an open project ?
   Again, tks for the intruduction and welcome to eLua ! :)

On Thu, Jan 1, 2009 at 12:01, Dean Hall <dwhall256 at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello, I just joined the list and wanted to introduce myself.  My name
> is Dean and I'm an embedded software engineer by training and
> profession.  My hobbies include microcontrollers and robotics.  I
> believe having a language with an interactive prompt makes development
> more quick and pleasant.  I started PyMite 8 years ago to try to bring
> Python to 8-bit AVRs, but PyMite never reached maturity due to the
> limited RAM of the target controllers.
>
> Eight years later, 32-bit microcontrollers are cheap and have much
> more RAM available.  So here I am looking at eLua as a candidate to
> port to the AVR32 / AT32UC3A1512-based board that I am currently
> designing.  Other candidate languages include PyMite and tinypy
> because I know Python better than I know Lua.
>
> I am impressed that you have been able to create the modules to
> support the peripherals (I2C, PWM, ethernet, etc.) in a manner very
> similar to what I wanted to do 8 years ago.  I believe the general
> robotics hobbyist could learn Lua easier than Python, so that is
> another point in eLua's favor.
>
> So I'm going to lurk around for a while and learn.  My AT32UC3A1512
> board is a part-time endeavor, so it will be a while until I have a
> target to port to.
>
> regards,
>
> !!Dean

-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...

introduction

> Hello, I just joined the list and wanted to introduce myself.  My name
> is Dean and I'm an embedded software engineer by training and
> profession.  My hobbies include microcontrollers and robotics.  I
> believe having a language with an interactive prompt makes development
> more quick and pleasant.  I started PyMite 8 years ago to try to bring
> Python to 8-bit AVRs, but PyMite never reached maturity due to the
> limited RAM of the target controllers.

It must be the after-new-year-party hangover, because it took me quite a
while to figure out that you're actually the author of PyMite :) Welcome to
our list! :)

> Eight years later, 32-bit microcontrollers are cheap and have much
> more RAM available.  So here I am looking at eLua as a candidate to
> port to the AVR32 / AT32UC3A1512-based board that I am currently
> designing.  Other candidate languages include PyMite and tinypy
> because I know Python better than I know Lua.

Me too actually, but ssshhh, this is a secret! :) Even so, I think Lua it's
better for embedded because it requires so little resources to work properly

-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...

Dean Hall Dean Hall

introduction

Yes, I've seen the AVR32 support.  I look forward to trying it.  My
AVR32 design is a unique 2-board design: a processor card with
crystal(s), jtag and USB and a carrier module for all the peripheral
devices for robotics.  If I can strike a deal with Sparkfun (or
comparable company) to resell the boards, I will do that.  If I can't,
I will make the processor card schematics and layout available (I'm
using EAGLE).

!!Dean