external clocks on STM32

tobor tobor

external clocks on STM32

I would like to disable using the external clock, is there a flag or definition that need to be set? I do not need CAN or USB OTG.

thanks,
Bill

Mark Burton Mark Burton

Re: external clocks on STM32

Hello Bill,

> I would like to disable using the external clock, is there a flag or
> definition that need to be set? I do not need CAN or USB OTG.

I found that I also needed to use the internal clock on the Nucleo
board and so have worked up a solution (based on the current elua git
master branch). It's not Nucleo specific and it should work for any F4.

If you want to try it out, pull the stm32f4-nucleo branch from
https://github.com/smartavionics/elua

With that, you can simply specify in the board configuration file that
the internal clock is to be used rather than the external clock. e.g.

clocks = { internal = 16000000, cpu = 168000000 }

Cheers,

Mark
tobor tobor

Re: external clocks on STM32

The nucleo is 64 pin the discovery is 100 pin, is this going to be as easy as adding the 407 specific headers and config files to the nucleo branch, or are there some more steps.

thanks,
Bill

On Thu, Mar 20, 2014 at 1:57 PM, Mark Burton <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hello Bill,

> I would like to disable using the external clock, is there a flag or
> definition that need to be set? I do not need CAN or USB OTG.

I found that I also needed to use the internal clock on the Nucleo
board and so have worked up a solution (based on the current elua git
master branch). It's not Nucleo specific and it should work for any F4.

If you want to try it out, pull the stm32f4-nucleo branch from
https://github.com/smartavionics/elua

With that, you can simply specify in the board configuration file that
the internal clock is to be used rather than the external clock. e.g.

clocks = { internal = 16000000, cpu = 168000000 }

Cheers,

Mark
Mark Burton Mark Burton

Re: external clocks on STM32

Bill,

> The nucleo is 64 pin the discovery is 100 pin, is this going to be as
> easy as adding the 407 specific headers and config files to the
> nucleo branch, or are there some more steps.

Can't you just change the stm32f4discovery.lua config to use
internal=16000000 rather than external=8000000 (assuming that you have
merged in the new stuff in the stm32f4-nucleo branch) ?

Cheers,

Mark
tobor tobor

Re: external clocks on STM32

It looks like from your git, the merge is only a few files and they seem to be well commented, I will give it a try.

thanks again.

Bill

On Thu, Mar 20, 2014 at 6:18 PM, Mark Burton <[hidden email]> wrote:

Bill,

> The nucleo is 64 pin the discovery is 100 pin, is this going to be as
> easy as adding the 407 specific headers and config files to the
> nucleo branch, or are there some more steps.

Can't you just change the stm32f4discovery.lua config to use
internal=16000000 rather than external=8000000 (assuming that you have
merged in the new stuff in the stm32f4-nucleo branch) ?

Cheers,

Mark
Pink Boy Pink Boy

Recomended Dev kit for netoworking

I has question.

I'm looking into using eLua for a project and was wondering if anyone has a recommendation for a dev kit that supports eLua and networking.

I'm looking at updating a board we use in our production test stand. (janky bed of nail tester) .  it's used to program the Device under tests AVR processor, then read voltages and twiddle digital inputs.  The processor is an Atmal SAM7X256. I noted that there is an eLua port for the SAM7X, but 'net' isn't supported and the SMA7X series seems long in the tooth at this point.

Any suggestions for a dev kit that is actively supported on and has good support for TCP/IP?

Matt

scdr scdr

Re: Recomended Dev kit for netoworking

You could consider EK-LM3S8962

It is an older board, the processor is not recommended for new designs,
but it has Ethernet port, also OLED and CAN (and comes with a daughterboard with another LM3S processor).
The OLED is even supported in eLua.  See the LM3S games.

Some of them are available at a prety reasonable price here
http://forum.stellarisiti.com/topic/694-stellaris-ekt-lm3s8962-kits/

I have been working on porting eLua to the TM4C1294 connected launchpad, which has ethernet port, a whole lot of pins, etc.
http://forum.stellarisiti.com/topic/1830-a-new-tiva-c-launchpad-about-to-be-announced/

tobor tobor

Re: external clocks on STM32

Works great. Thank you.

Bill

Tony-12 Tony-12

On 3/21/2014 12:05 AM, [hidden email] wrote:

> You could consider EK-LM3S8962
>
> It is an older board, the processor is not recommended for new designs,
> but it has Ethernet port, also OLED and CAN (and comes with a daughterboard with another LM3S processor).
> The OLED is even supported in eLua.  See the LM3S games.
>
> Some of them are available at a prety reasonable price here
> http://forum.stellarisiti.com/topic/694-stellaris-ekt-lm3s8962-kits/
>
> I have been working on porting eLua to the TM4C1294 connected launchpad, which has ethernet port, a whole lot of pins, etc.
> http://forum.stellarisiti.com/topic/1830-a-new-tiva-c-launchpad-about-to-be-announced/

The Tiva C1294 LaunchPad is out for $20 from TI in the US; I already
have mine.  It has two BoosterPack XL sites, so it should be easy to add
extra functions.

I'll be following your port with interest -- thanks in advance!

BTW, another choice might be the STM32F4 DIscovery Kit with Baseboard;
there seems to be decent eLua support for it.

--Tony

Pink Boy Pink Boy

Re: Recomended Dev kit for netoworking

Tony,

> You could consider EK-LM3S8962

Looks no longer available.

> It is an older board, the processor is not recommended for new designs,
> but it has Ethernet port, also OLED and CAN (and comes with a daughterboard with another LM3S processor).
> The OLED is even supported in eLua.  See the LM3S games.
>
> Some of them are available at a prety reasonable price here
> http://forum.stellarisiti.com/topic/694-stellaris-ekt-lm3s8962-kits/
>
> I have been working on porting eLua to the TM4C1294 connected launchpad, which has ethernet port, a whole lot of pins, etc.
> http://forum.stellarisiti.com/topic/1830-a-new-tiva-c-launchpad-about-to-be-announced/

I think perhaps I will piggy back on top of your port with the TM4C1294, looks like a very capable part.

Matt

Tony-12 Tony-12

Re: Recomended Dev kit for netoworking

Matt,
Yes, I think the Tiva C1294 LaunchPad looks like a great fit.  If you need a display, you could add a display BoosterPack.
--Tony

Tony,