eLua VFD

Hello Guys,
   We are having fun with a VFD tube (IV-18) brought from Romania (thanks Bogdan !), a MAX6921 decoder and, guess what; eLua :)
   An EK-LM3S8962 (Cortex-M3) from Luminary Micro was used but any kit with only 3 pio pins will do.
   We wrote a vfd (Lua) module for the primitives but as everybody else on the web seems to use VFDs only for clocks, we decided to make some art for ours.
   Some poor quality videos of the first results can be seen at http://www.giga.puc-rio.br/videosvfd/

Bittencourt Bittencourt

Re: eLua VFD

Very neat :-)

I've been eying those VFD tubes as more projects have been appearing on the web.

Perhaps either one or a few could be selected to upload to a video
sharing site like YouTube, maybe with some video of the setup behind
the tube (micro + VFD controller).

-jsnyder

On Tue, Feb 9, 2010 at 3:33 PM, Dado Sutter <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hello Guys,
>    We are having fun with a VFD tube (IV-18) brought from Romania (thanks
> Bogdan !), a MAX6921 decoder and, guess what; eLua :)
>    An EK-LM3S8962 (Cortex-M3) from Luminary Micro was used but any kit with
> only 3 pio pins will do.
>    We wrote a vfd (Lua) module for the primitives but as everybody else on
> the web seems to use VFDs only for clocks, we decided to make some art for
> ours.
>    Some poor quality videos of the first results can be seen at
> http://www.giga.puc-rio.br/videosvfd/
>
> Best
> Dado

PGP: http://fanplastic.org/key.txt
Phone: (847) 448-0386

Re: eLua VFD

Hello,

On Tue, Feb 9, 2010 at 20:53, Pedro Bittencourt <[hidden email]> wrote:
Upload then to Youtube!

Not yet :)
It is not a tutorial yet, the images and the examples are too poor.
It was really just to share with all of you here.

--Pedro Bittencourt

Dado

Bittencourt Bittencourt

Re: eLua VFD

Hello,

On Tue, Feb 9, 2010 at 21:40, James Snyder <[hidden email]> wrote:
Very neat :-)

Thanks ! :)
The eLuaVFD module is really simple and we are doing more and more examples using it.

I've been eying those VFD tubes as more projects have been appearing on the web.

We've seen a lot of projects indeed but they were (almost) all clocks or timers.
The IV-18 tubes seem very robust but we had problems with 2 (out of 3 so far) MAX2961 and I can't tell what happened exactly. Here in Brasil we don't have static discharge problems, because of the always high humidity but I may have touched them while in NY last year :(

Perhaps either one or a few could be selected to upload to a video
sharing site like YouTube, maybe with some video of the setup behind
the tube (micro + VFD controller).

I would like to refine, to create some more examples and to learn to shoot better images, before we publish an eLuaVFD tutorial.

Thanks for your support and sugestions!

-jsnyder

On Tue, Feb 9, 2010 at 3:33 PM, Dado Sutter <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hello Guys,
>    We are having fun with a VFD tube (IV-18) brought from Romania (thanks
> Bogdan !), a MAX6921 decoder and, guess what; eLua :)
>    An EK-LM3S8962 (Cortex-M3) from Luminary Micro was used but any kit with
> only 3 pio pins will do.
>    We wrote a vfd (Lua) module for the primitives but as everybody else on
> the web seems to use VFDs only for clocks, we decided to make some art for
> ours.
>    Some poor quality videos of the first results can be seen at
> http://www.giga.puc-rio.br/videosvfd/
>
> Best
> Dado

PGP: http://fanplastic.org/key.txt
Phone: (847) 448-0386
Tony-12 Tony-12

Re: eLua VFD

What, eLua can control motors?

That's what I was wondering when I first saw the subject line....eLua Variable Frequency Drive???  Yes, I do have motors on my mind.

BTW, Noritake ( http://www.noritake-elec.com/3000_series.htm ) makes the ultimate Vacuum Flourescent Displays, but they are pricey; a 256x128 pixel GU256X128D-3900 is about $400.

--Tony (currently busy dealing with brushless DC servo motors)

On Wed, Feb 10, 2010 at 9:47 PM, Tony <[hidden email]> wrote:
What, eLua can control motors?

Simple PWM only, sorry :) Of course, eLua could control anything given the proper drivers.

That's what I was wondering when I first saw the subject line....eLua Variable Frequency Drive???  Yes, I do have motors on my mind.

Not literally, I hope :)

BTW, Noritake ( http://www.noritake-elec.com/3000_series.htm ) makes the ultimate Vacuum Flourescent Displays, but they are pricey; a 256x128 pixel GU256X128D-3900 is about $400.

I know these, and they are cool, but somehow I find the IV-18 much nicer.