eLUA for SPARC LEON2

gutaku gutaku

eLUA for SPARC LEON2

Hi

I would like to know if it is feasible to port eLUA for the SPARC architecture. My board contains a SPARC LEON2 processor, and I'm using RTEMS as RTOS. My idea is to integrate eLUA as a Virtual Machine into RTEMS, so I can load dynamically scripts into the board.
If the port is feasible, where can I find information to do it.

Thanks a lot

--
Gustavo

Re: eLUA for SPARC LEON2

Hi,

On Fri, Apr 22, 2011 at 11:40 AM, Gustavo Rangel <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi

I would like to know if it is feasible to port eLUA

eLua :)

for the SPARC architecture. My board contains a SPARC LEON2 processor, and I'm using RTEMS as RTOS. My idea is to integrate eLUA as a Virtual Machine into RTEMS, so I can load dynamically scripts into the board.

It can definitely be done in theory. There have been some discussions on this list about porting eLua to Microchip's PIC32 which is also MIPS based, they might be a good starting point (although most of them addressed specific PIC32 issues). A search for "PIC32" on the eLua-dev mailing list might reveal some interesting information.

Re: eLUA for SPARC LEON2

On Fri, Apr 22, 2011 at 11:44 AM, Bogdan Marinescu <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi,

On Fri, Apr 22, 2011 at 11:40 AM, Gustavo Rangel <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi

I would like to know if it is feasible to port eLUA

eLua :)

for the SPARC architecture. My board contains a SPARC LEON2 processor, and I'm using RTEMS as RTOS. My idea is to integrate eLUA as a Virtual Machine into RTEMS, so I can load dynamically scripts into the board.

It can definitely be done in theory. There have been some discussions on this list about porting eLua to Microchip's PIC32 which is also MIPS based, they might be a good starting point (although most of them addressed specific PIC32 issues). A search for "PIC32" on the eLua-dev mailing list might reveal some interesting information.

By the way, how much memory (RAM/Flash) can you allocate for this?

gutaku gutaku

Re: eLUA for SPARC LEON2

I'm working with the Gaisler Research GR-RASTA-106-SVGA board. Between all the components, it contains a LEON2 SPARC V8 Processor with FPU, 4MB SRAM, 128MB SDRAM and 8MB Flash PROM.
Which would be the different between porting Lua to my platform, or porting eLua to my platform?
I will take a look to the PIC32 porting.
Thanks again

Re: eLUA for SPARC LEON2

On Fri, Apr 22, 2011 at 12:01 PM, gutaku <[hidden email]> wrote:
I'm working with the Gaisler Research GR-RASTA-106-SVGA board. Between all
the components, it contains a LEON2 SPARC V8 Processor with FPU, 4MB SRAM,
128MB SDRAM and 8MB Flash PROM.

You have quite a bit of resources :)

Which would be the different between porting Lua to my platform, or porting
eLua to my platform?

eLua is Lua + low resources optimizations + lots of peripheral libraries + other goodies. It does insist on being the "system controller" at the moment, as it handlse very low-level stuff like board bringup, interrupts and memory management. If that's not OK you might want to stick with stock Lua.

gutaku gutaku

Re: eLUA for SPARC LEON2

My original idea is that the Virtual Machine works in parallel with other process. So, using eLua as the System Controller would not be the perfect scenario. Let me take a look to Lua, and how to port it to my platform.
Thanks
Tim Michals Tim Michals

Re: eLUA for SPARC LEON2

RTEMS is a poweeful os, think it would better to start with lua.  For exaample, start lua as a rask,take the code exaample from elua shellto start a lua instance.  Or add it to rhe shell.