Using '''eLua''' on the mbed LPC1768 under Linux

Bryan Tevreden Bryan Tevreden

Using '''eLua''' on the mbed LPC1768 under Linux

Hi All,

Newbie here. I am looking for the instructions for getting eLua running on the mbed. As it says on the wiki, it has been done before but the instructions are missing.

Kind regards,

Bryan

Re: Using '''eLua''' on the mbed LPC1768 under Linux

Hi,

On Thu, Oct 13, 2011 at 3:34 PM, Bryan Tevreden
<[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hi All,
> Newbie here. I am looking for the instructions for getting eLua running on
> the mbed. As it says on the wiki, it has been done before but the
> instructions are missing.

Yes, we still have to write that. Fortunately it's quite easy: compile
and copy the .bin file to /media/MBED (or whever your mbed filesystem
is mounted). After it finishes copying reset the board (you might want
to umount /media/MBED first) and wait until the blue LED finishes
blinking. At that point your eLua firmware should be programmed.
Also note that at least on my machine the mbed serial port (used by
the eLua console) is exported under the name /dev/ttyACM0 (not
/dev/ttyUSBx).

On Thu, Oct 13, 2011 at 09:34, Bryan Tevreden <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi All,

Newbie here. I am looking for the instructions for getting eLua running on the mbed. As it says on the wiki, it has been done before but the instructions are missing.

Yes it is :(
If you happen to like to document and share, you can add some instructions to that page yourself.
Maybe Thiago and/or Marcelo, who have been using mbeds a lot, can help to refine later too. For now, I think I'll add Bogdan's instant-short-tips to it.

Please don't hesitate to call for more help here if you need.
Flashing eLua (or anything else) on an mbed is a simple and almost transparent procedure, like moving a file to a pen-drive.

Kind regards,

Bryan

Marcelo Politzer Marcelo Politzer

Re: Using '''eLua''' on the mbed LPC1768 under Linux

One more thing that I thing deserves mentioning is that Linux FS sometimes
keep information in ram before recording into the pen-drive, to avoid
this behavior
and force it to write the info run the program sync. This will
synchronize the cache
in ram with the contents on the disks.

2011/10/13 Dado Sutter <[hidden email]>:

> Hi,
>
> On Thu, Oct 13, 2011 at 12:03, Dado Sutter <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Hi,
>>
>> On Thu, Oct 13, 2011 at 09:34, Bryan Tevreden <[hidden email]>
>> wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi All,
>>> Newbie here. I am looking for the instructions for getting eLua running
>>> on the mbed. As it says on the wiki, it has been done before but the
>>> instructions are missing.
>>
>> Yes it is :(
>> If you happen to like to document and share, you can add some instructions
>> to that page yourself.
>> Maybe Thiago and/or Marcelo, who have been using mbeds a lot, can help to
>> refine later too. For now, I think I'll add Bogdan's instant-short-tips to
>> it.
>
> Done.
> http://wiki.eluaproject.net/mbedLPC1768
>

>> Please don't hesitate to call for more help here if you need.
>> Flashing eLua (or anything else) on an mbed is a simple and almost
>> transparent procedure, like moving a file to a pen-drive.
>>>
>>> Kind regards,
>>> Bryan
>
> Best
> Dado

[]s,
Marcelo

On Thu, Oct 13, 2011 at 8:13 PM, Marcelo Politzer <[hidden email]> wrote:
> One more thing that I thing deserves mentioning is that Linux FS sometimes
> keep information in ram before recording into the pen-drive, to avoid
> this behavior
> and force it to write the info run the program sync. This will
> synchronize the cache
> in ram with the contents on the disks.

Yup. Unmounting /media/MBED will also sync the data automatically.

On Thu, Oct 13, 2011 at 14:31, Bogdan Marinescu <[hidden email]> wrote:
On Thu, Oct 13, 2011 at 8:13 PM, Marcelo Politzer <[hidden email]> wrote:
> One more thing that I thing deserves mentioning is that Linux FS sometimes
> keep information in ram before recording into the pen-drive, to avoid
> this behavior
> and force it to write the info run the program sync. This will
> synchronize the cache
> in ram with the contents on the disks.

Yup. Unmounting /media/MBED will also sync the data automatically.

I remember that it was possible to tell by the led blinking pattern, if the sync has been done or not.
Of course I don't remember what was the led indication :)
I think that during the data transfer to the board (==flashing) the led blinks more frantically. If you move the data do the kit's "folder" and don't see this quick blinking pattern on the onboard led, run the "sync" command on the Linux terminal or unmount the device to complete the flashing process.