Site look

Hello dev guys,
   I agree with Bogdan that this should not come to a "dev" list. But as we
don't have an eLua User's List, I need to come here for some more opinions
(besides mine, Rafael's, Bogdan's and Yuri's) about the current test look of
the site.
   Is it really true that everybody is liking it ? :-o :)
   The impressions I've got from everyone I've asked downhere, including ALL
the questioned people from the Art's and Design Department of PUC-Rio (which
has nothing to do with our web guys of the Led Lab team) were very
disapointing.
   The not-black-over-white neither-white-over-black scheme, the orange, the
upper styleless art and; most shocking among the technical and Luawise
people; the idea of using the Lua logo with a different color (which imho is
really a bad move).
    As we all seem to be here, I am not design oriented enough to make a
point here but I think we should definetely hear some more ideas before
considering this as definitive. It looks nice on Yuri's site though, beeing
different from what all the other Sputnik users have chosen :)
    It is really nice to have some real and quick help but all this change
was too fast !!!! (1 day !!! :)

   And talking about web design, is there anybody there with some LM3S8962
timer/counter experience to help us configure ours ? :-o :) :)

-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...

Bittencourt Bittencourt

Site look

Greetings.

My opinions:

-eLua logo should be, at least, blue.

-Why it's snowing on the site? Holidays theme?

-The upper space is a "dead space" only with the logo and the search input

-Orange is not my favorite color for menus...

--Pedro Bittencourt

On Thu, Dec 18, 2008 at 12:35 AM, Dado Sutter <dadosutter at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello dev guys,
>    I agree with Bogdan that this should not come to a "dev" list. But as we
> don't have an eLua User's List, I need to come here for some more opinions
> (besides mine, Rafael's, Bogdan's and Yuri's) about the current test look of
> the site.
>    Is it really true that everybody is liking it ? :-o :)
>    The impressions I've got from everyone I've asked downhere, including
> ALL the questioned people from the Art's and Design Department of PUC-Rio
> (which has nothing to do with our web guys of the Led Lab team) were very
> disapointing.
>    The not-black-over-white neither-white-over-black scheme, the orange,
> the upper styleless art and; most shocking among the technical and Luawise
> people; the idea of using the Lua logo with a different color (which imho is
> really a bad move).
>     As we all seem to be here, I am not design oriented enough to make a
> point here but I think we should definetely hear some more ideas before
> considering this as definitive. It looks nice on Yuri's site though, beeing
> different from what all the other Sputnik users have chosen :)
>     It is really nice to have some real and quick help but all this change
> was too fast !!!! (1 day !!! :)
>
>    And talking about web design, is there anybody there with some LM3S8962
> timer/counter experience to help us configure ours ? :-o :) :)
>
> Best
> Dado

-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...

Site look

> Hello dev guys,
>    I agree with Bogdan that this should not come to a "dev" list. But as we
> don't have an eLua User's List, I need to come here for some more opinions
> (besides mine, Rafael's, Bogdan's and Yuri's) about the current test look of
> the site.

No problem, it's OK to talk about things like this on this list.

>    Is it really true that everybody is liking it ? :-o :)

I don't know about everybody, but I sure do :)

>    The impressions I've got from everyone I've asked downhere, including
> ALL the questioned people from the Art's and Design Department of PUC-Rio
> (which has nothing to do with our web guys of the Led Lab team) were very
> disapointing.
>    The not-black-over-white neither-white-over-black scheme, the orange,
> the upper styleless art and; most shocking among the

You people are killing me. Who on the Earth said that white over black and
black over white are the only "right" color schemes?! Personally I think B/W
schemes are the most boring and less imaginative out there. And what exactly
do you have against orange? Orange is a soothing colour IMO, and I don't see
anything wrong with it. It blends very nicely with black. I don't understand
what you meant by "upper styleless art".

> technical and Luawise people; the idea of using the Lua logo with a
> different color (which imho is really a bad move).

While I personally don't see a problem here, you might be right about that.

> And talking about web design, is there anybody there with some LM3S8962
> timer/counter experience to help us configure ours ? :-o :) :)

You're on your own here buddy :)

-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...

Dado Sutter-2 Dado Sutter-2

Site look

On Thu, Dec 18, 2008 at 06:16, Bogdan Marinescu
<bogdan.marinescu at gmail.com>wrote:

> I don't know about everybody, but I sure do :)

.... and maybe this is the only problem :) :) :) :) :)

> You people are killing me.

We shouldn't be worring you with this :( we must take care of this and you
must figure out wth is the jvm.dll missing in my AVR32 flashing problem :)
:)

> Who on the Earth said that white over black and black over white are the
> only "right" color schemes?! Personally I think B/W schemes are the most
> boring and less imaginative out there.

Ooops, my poor english again. What I was trying to say is that the current
white-box-in-the-middle-over-black-(snowing :)-background was not well
received.

> And what exactly do you have against orange? Orange is a soothing colour
> IMO, and I don't see anything wrong with it. It blends very nicely with
> black.

I love orange and it is one of the best colors for a (most common kind of)
daltonian like me :). I see pretty well the white-over-orange contrast too.
The big issue here seems to be the color of the Logo, that if blue will not
go at all with Orange :( :(

I don't understand what you meant by "upper styleless art".

The snowing (closest word someone found here) art. I will get help to put
something more "embedded" there one day. It is a nobel and big area. It
deserves something more "eLua like" there.

> While I personally don't see a problem here, you might be right about that.

This was probably THE main opinion I've heard too.

> And talking about web design, is there anybody there with some LM3S8962
>> timer/counter experience to help us configure ours ? :-o :) :)
>

> You're on your own here buddy :)

Yeap ! :( Nothing found on the web so far :(  But this counter will rock
soon !!! :)  Thanks a lot for the great help session yesterday night !!!! We
are surely closer now !

Best,
> Bogdan

-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...

Yuri Takhteyev Yuri Takhteyev

Site look

>    The not-black-over-white neither-white-over-black scheme, the orange, the
> upper styleless art and; most shocking among the technical and Luawise
> people; the idea of using the Lua logo with a different color (which imho is
> really a bad move).

If the standard Lua logo cannot be orange, one possibility is to not
use the standard Lua logo. :)

What about this:

http://eluaproject.dreamhosters.com/test/

Still quite lunar, but no longer so similar to the "official" logo as
to require the official color.

  - yuri

--
http://sputnik.freewisdom.org/

Dado Sutter-2 Dado Sutter-2

Site look

On Thu, Dec 18, 2008 at 10:13, Yuri Takhteyev <yuri at sims.berkeley.edu>wrote:

> If the standard Lua logo cannot be orange, one possibility is to not
> use the standard Lua logo. :)
>
> What about this:
>
> http://eluaproject.dreamhosters.com/test/
>
> Still quite lunar, but no longer so similar to the "official" logo as
> to require the official color.

Thanks for the creativity but eLua has a logo :)
And it is based on the standard for Lua-based projects. Even Roberto liked
it ! :) :)
The icon that is on the site is actually not our final version for it (my
fault) but I might find the right one :) The final one has the lines less
bug-legs and more chip-pins like.

> - yuri

> --
> http://sputnik.freewisdom.org/

-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...

Frédéric THOMAS-5 Frédéric THOMAS-5

Site look

I don't think the web site is great - but I think it's adequate for
the intended audience and objective. We're not trying to sell anything
to the world, we're trying to communicate about eLua, a free open
source platform for micro-controllers. This leaves us with a pretty
geeky audience - an audience that has failed to demonstrate in the
past any sort of consideration for design matters in particular or
even good taste in general :)

I'd say: anything is fine as long as it's readable and "legal" (f.e.
use the right colors for the Lua logo). So orange/white/black works
for me in that perspective - and we avoid endless debates on the
effective soothing-ness of the orange color :)

That said, I think (versus current /test/):
* the article "what is eLua" (front page) needs a (real) Lua logo (in
addition to the eLua logo, if any).
* Putting the search box and login links below the menu (next to/below
the RSS logo) would save some vertical space and kinda group "controls"
* Making the eLua logo as wide as the menu (or bigger than now and
centered on the menu column) would not hurt.

Voila some comments - but again, what is there is perfectly OK for the
audience and needs.

Fred

On Dec 18, 2008, at 03:35 , Dado Sutter wrote:

> Hello dev guys,
>    I agree with Bogdan that this should not come to a "dev" list.
> But as we don't have an eLua User's List, I need to come here for
> some more opinions (besides mine, Rafael's, Bogdan's and Yuri's)
> about the current test look of the site.
>    Is it really true that everybody is liking it ? :-o :)
>    The impressions I've got from everyone I've asked downhere,
> including ALL the questioned people from the Art's and Design
> Department of PUC-Rio (which has nothing to do with our web guys of
> the Led Lab team) were very disapointing.
>    The not-black-over-white neither-white-over-black scheme, the
> orange, the upper styleless art and; most shocking among the
> technical and Luawise people; the idea of using the Lua logo with a
> different color (which imho is really a bad move).
>     As we all seem to be here, I am not design oriented enough to
> make a point here but I think we should definetely hear some more
> ideas before considering this as definitive. It looks nice on Yuri's
> site though, beeing different from what all the other Sputnik users
> have chosen :)
>     It is really nice to have some real and quick help but all this
> change was too fast !!!! (1 day !!! :)
>
>    And talking about web design, is there anybody there with some
> LM3S8962 timer/counter experience to help us configure ours ? :-
> o :) :)
>
> Best
> Dado

Site look

On Thu, Dec 18, 2008 at 11:49 PM, Fr?d?ric Thomas <berlios.de@
thomascorner.com> wrote:

> I don't think the web site is great - but I think it's adequate for
> the intended audience and objective. We're not trying to sell anything
> to the world, we're trying to communicate about eLua, a free open
> source platform for micro-controllers. This leaves us with a pretty
> geeky audience - an audience that has failed to demonstrate in the
> past any sort of consideration for design matters in particular or
> even good taste in general :)

Thank you. I think :)

> I'd say: anything is fine as long as it's readable and "legal" (f.e.
> use the right colors for the Lua logo). So orange/white/black works
> for me in that perspective - and we avoid endless debates on the
> effective soothing-ness of the orange color :)
>
> That said, I think (versus current /test/):
> * the article "what is eLua" (front page) needs a (real) Lua logo (in
> addition to the eLua logo, if any).
> * Putting the search box and login links below the menu (next to/below
> the RSS logo) would save some vertical space and kinda group "controls"
> * Making the eLua logo as wide as the menu (or bigger than now and
> centered on the menu column) would not hurt.
>
> Voila some comments - but again, what is there is perfectly OK for the
> audience and needs.

This makes perfect sense. And since it seems that our logo colour is indeed
a problem (in contradiction to what I thought), the only thing to do here is
to change the color scheme after all, since I already saw how blue looks
over the current one, and it looks like crap. I'll miss my oranges :), but I
understand this is something that must be done.
And Fred, I wrote an e-mail to my domain provider, asking them why the new
DNS records aren't active yet, I'm waiting for an answer from them.

> On Dec 18, 2008, at 03:35 , Dado Sutter wrote:
>
> > Hello dev guys,
> >    I agree with Bogdan that this should not come to a "dev" list.
> > But as we don't have an eLua User's List, I need to come here for
> > some more opinions (besides mine, Rafael's, Bogdan's and Yuri's)
> > about the current test look of the site.
> >    Is it really true that everybody is liking it ? :-o :)
> >    The impressions I've got from everyone I've asked downhere,
> > including ALL the questioned people from the Art's and Design
> > Department of PUC-Rio (which has nothing to do with our web guys of
> > the Led Lab team) were very disapointing.
> >    The not-black-over-white neither-white-over-black scheme, the
> > orange, the upper styleless art and; most shocking among the
> > technical and Luawise people; the idea of using the Lua logo with a
> > different color (which imho is really a bad move).
> >     As we all seem to be here, I am not design oriented enough to
> > make a point here but I think we should definetely hear some more
> > ideas before considering this as definitive. It looks nice on Yuri's
> > site though, beeing different from what all the other Sputnik users
> > have chosen :)
> >     It is really nice to have some real and quick help but all this
> > change was too fast !!!! (1 day !!! :)
> >
> >    And talking about web design, is there anybody there with some
> > LM3S8962 timer/counter experience to help us configure ours ? :-
> > o :) :)
> >
> > Best
> > Dado

-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...

Site look

Hello,

On Thu, Dec 18, 2008 at 19:49, Fr?d?ric Thomas
<berlios.de at thomascorner.com>wrote:

> I don't think the web site is great - but I think it's adequate for
> the intended audience and objective. We're not trying to sell anything
> to the world, we're trying to communicate about eLua, a free open
> source platform for micro-controllers. This leaves us with a pretty
> geeky audience - an audience that has failed to demonstrate in the
> past any sort of consideration for design matters in particular or
> even good taste in general :)

He he, this resumes the feedback I got here from everyone :)
Fred's overall idea about our audience is not 100% exact though. Today the
site is highly tech-oriented but it will gain some educational and marketing
spices soon, so we want it to be seen (and like) by students, teachers and
some key decision makers too.
But I'm still working hard on keeping some oranges for Bogdan :) :)  (I like
them too ! :)

I'd say: anything is fine as long as it's readable and "legal" (f.e.

> use the right colors for the Lua logo). So orange/white/black works
> for me in that perspective - and we avoid endless debates on the
> effective soothing-ness of the orange color :)
>
> That said, I think (versus current /test/):
> * the article "what is eLua" (front page) needs a (real) Lua logo (in
> addition to the eLua logo, if any).
> * Putting the search box and login links below the menu (next to/below
> the RSS logo) would save some vertical space and kinda group "controls"
> * Making the eLua logo as wide as the menu (or bigger than now and
> centered on the menu column) would not hurt.

Good points here too ! Thanks !!!
We will try to fix most of these new-look issues until tuesday, because the
Lab will be closed between Christmas and January 6th.
I hope to have some bandwidth to work, where my wife decides to take me
during the small vacations :)

> Voila some comments - but again, what is there is perfectly OK for the
> audience and needs.

Tks again Fred !!!!!