Single Chip Lua Prospects

John Hind John Hind

Re: Single Chip Lua Prospects

> I think we keep coming back to the issue that most of these chips are
> about 80-90% of what you would want, but they fall short in some
> specific area that some other chip has built-in :-)

True, there are always compromises! However I think it is much more
important to have the comms stuff and the memory right and fully integrated
on the chip. High resolution ADCs, complex motor controllers etc. are very
application specific and are easier to add as external chips using SPI or
I2C.

Tony-12 Tony-12

On Fri, Jun 26, 2009 at 1:30 AM, John Hind <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I think we keep coming back to the issue that most of these chips are
> about 80-90% of what you would want, but they fall short in some
> specific area that some other chip has built-in :-)

True, there are always compromises! However I think it is much more
important to have the comms stuff and the memory right and fully integrated
on the chip. High resolution ADCs, complex motor controllers etc. are very
application specific and are easier to add as external chips using SPI or
I2C.
Actually, it's easier to add comms stuff, e.g. Ethernet chips from Wizchip (which include TCP/IP stacks), SMSC, Micrel, etc; CAN chips from Microchip, and NXP, USB from Cypress, FTDI, Maxim and such.  But show me a high resolution PWM chip.

However, I still basically agree: what I think is that community efforts should focus on a general purpose chip, and those of use who like specific applications can design our own application specific eLua modules.