STR9-comSTICK

John Hind John Hind

STR9-comSTICK

I’ve just received this and played with it a little, but am just about to get serious with working eLua onto it.

The device is utterly amazing value and is rather undersold on the web site:

http://www.ehitex.de/p_info.php?products_id=292

I was amazed to find it actually has a whole JTAG development programmer/debugger as well as a very well featured target board and a full PC based tool chain – all for 39 Euros on a USB dongle! (for some reason the JTAG circuitry and connector is not shown on the circuit schematic). There are actually two separate USB device connectors – the dongle one is to the JTAG chip, but also routes through a virtual com port to the microcontroller for application use. The second one at the North end of the board is entirely independent and uses the USB interface on the microcontroller. There is also full Ethernet with PHY chip, magnetics and connector AND a CAN network buffer brought out on header pins.

On the minus side, only 8 pins of general IO are brought out to headers and with the design of the circuit board and the very fine pitch chip it would be virtually impossible to solder more. Each pin can be input, output or ADC input and four of the pins can be PWM outputs.

Another minus point is that the software will not install on Vista or Windows 7. However it does work nicely in the XP Virtual Machine on Windows 7.

Any tips on getting eLua on this? Should I fire up the toolchain under Linux again or is it likely I can achieve this using the toolchain under Windows that came with the board? Should I be able to get the Ethernet working at the moment or is that still a work-in-progress?

Re: STR9-comSTICK

Great !
   So the long awaited comStick has finally showed up for sale.
   I've just missed someone that could bring me some from Europe :(  He took off yesterday and I'll probably will have to wait until the end of september. Will anyone be in the Venice, IT region by then (21~25 sept), or a week before near Geneva, CH for a beer ?

   The NET module is functional and stable but it has some limitations and we are looking foward to replace the whole TCP/IP stack for a new implementation one day. It does not handle well multiple connections and sometimes need several retries for .connect() and .close(), for yet obscure reasons. Other than that it works fine for many small experiments and demos downhere.

On Mon, Jul 6, 2009 at 12:56, John Hind <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

Wow. Their marketing has largely exagerated this topic then :(
Their specs says 80 I/O pins. But they don't mention that this is only the MCU capacity :(

Still, it seems to be a nice and cheap little toy and I'll try to get at least one to London, where a student can bring it down by the end of July.

Dado

On Mon, Jul 6, 2009 at 6:56 PM, John Hind <[hidden email]> wrote:

I’ve just received this and played with it a little, but am just about to get serious with working eLua onto it.

I hope you know that eLua already supports the STR9-comStick, right ? :)

http://elua.berlios.de/beta/en/installing_str9.html

On the minus side, only 8 pins of general IO are brought out to headers and with the design of the circuit board and the very fine pitch chip it would be virtually impossible to solder more. Each pin can be input, output or ADC input and four of the pins can be PWM outputs.

Also on the minus side, it seems to have some very weird issues with the reset part. It doesn't include a reset button (big mistake) and I have to reset the dongle via JTAG. Which isn't cool. The interesting part is that most of the times I also have to reset it via JTAG right after I plugged it in the USB port, because it usually doesn't start on its own. I have no idea why...

Any tips on getting eLua on this? Should I fire up the toolchain under Linux again or is it likely I can achieve this using the toolchain under Windows that came with the board? Should I be able to get the Ethernet working at the moment or is that still a work-in-progress?

You can start by downloading a pre-built binary image:

http://developer.berlios.de/project/showfiles.php?group_id=9919

And by following the instructions (from the previous link) to burn it. This won't be easy or painless, but unfortunately I don't know of a better way to do it.