Port to Atmel SAM3/4 MCU (arduino due)

Sergio Sorrenti-2 Sergio Sorrenti-2

Port to Atmel SAM3/4 MCU (arduino due)

Anyone is looking to port eLua on Atmel Sam3 or Sam4?

It will open eLua usage to all Arduino Due Comunity,
wich for sure is the more massive in numbers...

There is any motivation why this platform is not considered
between all the currently supported?

Simplemachines Italy is evaluating and collecting resources
to make it feasible, as it seem there is no support or current
forks for Atmel Sam3/4 yet.

We are a no-profit and we can accept all kind of contribution,
from coding to donations to start working on this.

Cheers,
Sergio

Sergio Sorrenti
Design Coordinator
Simplemachines.it

Re: Port to Atmel SAM3/4 MCU (arduino due)

Hi Sergio,

On Fri, Jun 28, 2013 at 2:03 PM, Sergio Sorrenti <[hidden email]> wrote:
Anyone is looking to port eLua on Atmel Sam3 or Sam4?

It will open eLua usage to all Arduino Due Comunity,
wich for sure is the more massive in numbers...

There is any motivation why this platform is not considered
between all the currently supported?

I don't think there's any particular motivation, no. Personally, I only do new ports on request and nobody requested a Sam3/4 port yet. I don't even have a SAM board around, so working on that might prove a bit difficult. And, as far as I know, nobody else is doing such a port. I might be wrong about that though; if someone does, please speak up.

Simplemachines Italy is evaluating and collecting resources
to make it feasible, as it seem there is no support or current
forks for Atmel Sam3/4 yet.

I can help with that if you need me to.

We are a no-profit and we can accept all kind of contribution,
from coding to donations to start working on this.

Cheers,
Sergio

Sergio Sorrenti
Design Coordinator
Simplemachines.it

Sergio Sorrenti-2 Sergio Sorrenti-2

Re: Port to Atmel SAM3/4 MCU (arduino due)

Hi Bogdan,

sorry we don't have space for an eLua
core developer in the platform code :)

I think we can buy some Arduino Due samples to start dev on this platform,
maybe with 1.0 of eLua the code can be out for the masses,
i think many with an arduino 32 bit can do a try on eLua.

The problem is a minimum of resource to keep the project alive,
we did AVR32 port and the efforts was many, so we know the path.

But we are ready to go with a minimum of Gas, so we can organize
a fundraising, crossposted to the main Arduino Due forums,
we collect the funds and check if are sufficient or insufficient
and make a remboursement to all the participants if it fail.

We can also promise a board when the port is ready to who
donate more than $30 for example.

Arduino Due should be open hardware
so when the goal is reached we can make compatible board, call it eluino :P
and donate it to contributors.

Cheers,
Sergio

Sergio Sorrenti
Design Coordinator
Simplemachines.it

2013/6/28 Bogdan Marinescu <[hidden email]>
[...]

gduarte gduarte

Re: Port to Atmel SAM3/4 MCU (arduino due)

Hello!

Dado had this idea as well and showed me the board that he has. Unfortunately we didn't have time to start the port. Maybe with this incentive (not financial, but others wanting the same thing), we can help! For coincidence, the name eLuino is the name of a project of mine that tries to create an Arduino-like interface to program in eLua:

Let's put it up!!

Cheers

2013/6/28 Sergio Sorrenti <[hidden email]>
[...]

Gabriel Duarte
Linux User #471185
Rio de Janeiro / RJ
http://genericdev.wordpress.com/

Martin Guy Martin Guy

On 28 June 2013 16:14, Gabriel Duarte <[hidden email]> wrote:
> For coincidence, the name eLuino is the name of a project of mine that tries
> to create an Arduino-like interface to program in eLua:
> https://github.com/gabrield/eluino
>
> Let's put it up!!

Eluino was a good idea, and terser than the eLua interface.
I even thought of extending eluino (software project) to cover the
rest of the arduino s/w interface.
As I remember, the only point of conflict in the name space was "bit"
which, in eLua is a module (a table) and in arduino is a bare
function.
It may be possible to provide both with some Lua magic like setting
"bit" table's metatable to itself or something odd like that.

where the aduino interface is very different from the eLua one, like
ADC, it's tempting to write them as C modules (BUILD_ELUINO?).

Providing Eluino (software project) as default firmware on Eluino
(hardware project) is an interesting idea...

Should we maybe call them eLuino (the software) and Eluino (the
hardware), just to save confusion? :)

gduarte gduarte

Re: Port to Atmel SAM3/4 MCU (arduino due)

Cool, Martin!
And yes, we can differ the names to avoid confusions :)

I would like to get involved in this challenge, I hope to learn a lot. I will visit Dado today and talk to him about what is happening and maybe start to do something really soon.

Cheers

2013/6/28 Martin Guy <[hidden email]>
On 28 June 2013 16:14, Gabriel Duarte <[hidden email]> wrote:
> For coincidence, the name eLuino is the name of a project of mine that tries
> to create an Arduino-like interface to program in eLua:
> https://github.com/gabrield/eluino
>
> Let's put it up!!

Eluino was a good idea, and terser than the eLua interface.
I even thought of extending eluino (software project) to cover the
rest of the arduino s/w interface.
As I remember, the only point of conflict in the name space was "bit"
which, in eLua is a module (a table) and in arduino is a bare
function.
It may be possible to provide both with some Lua magic like setting
"bit" table's metatable to itself or something odd like that.

where the aduino interface is very different from the eLua one, like
ADC, it's tempting to write them as C modules (BUILD_ELUINO?).

Providing Eluino (software project) as default firmware on Eluino
(hardware project) is an interesting idea...

Should we maybe call them eLuino (the software) and Eluino (the
hardware), just to save confusion? :)

Gabriel Duarte
Linux User #471185
Rio de Janeiro / RJ
http://genericdev.wordpress.com/

Sergio Sorrenti-2 Sergio Sorrenti-2

Re: Port to Atmel SAM3/4 MCU (arduino due)

Bogdan,

your Arduino Due is already ordered!
there is one for Dado and James too.

Some other unit is available,
to who is interested in contribute to this platform code,
(Atmel Sam3/4), if there is any interest pls write.

Sergio

2013/6/28 Sergio Sorrenti <[hidden email]>
Hi Bogdan,

On Fri, Jun 28, 2013 at 2:03 PM, Sergio Sorrenti <[hidden email]> wrote:

Simplemachines Italy is evaluating and collecting resources
to make it feasible, as it seem there is no support or current
forks for Atmel Sam3/4 yet.

I can help with that if you need me to.

gduarte gduarte

Re: Port to Atmel SAM3/4 MCU (arduino due)

Hello guys!

Do you know if the same toolchain used to compile mbed code can be used to compiler code to this ARM as well?

If not, which one is the right?

On Mon, Jul 1, 2013 at 6:01 PM, Gabriel Duarte <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hello guys!

Do you know if the same toolchain used to compile mbed code can be used to compiler code to this ARM as well?

If not, which one is the right?

Definitely one of the GCC versions, eLua doesn't support anyting else at the moment. Try GCC ARM embedded for example.

gduarte gduarte

Re: Port to Atmel SAM3/4 MCU (arduino due)

That's the one that I use regularly (since I maintain that Makefile), however I haven't yet done a ton of testing on the latest 2013 sources I put up there (if you're on Windows or Linux you can also just use their build: http://www.mentor.com/embedded-software/sourcery-tools/sourcery-codebench/editions/lite-edition/).  I know there's at least an issue if you enable more extensive target support so that you can build for hard float on Cortex-M4F that I haven't had time to look into yet (this isn't part of the default build or the binary builds of sourcery-codebench lite).

If you want something that does support hard floats (really only relevant for Cortex-M4F) you could check out another toolchain that Bogdan has mentioned:

So far I've had good success with this latter one, and I think Bogdan has chimed in that it works well for him too.  It's not a bad one to work with if you don't already have a toolchain and don't want to build one yourself.

On Mon, Jul 1, 2013 at 12:09 PM, Gabriel Duarte <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

http://fanplastic.org/key.txt
ph: (847) 448-0386

gduarte gduarte

Re: Port to Atmel SAM3/4 MCU (arduino due)

Thanks the answer!

Will be import to have the right environment to start to develop to Arduino Due soon :)

I will install the gcc-arm-embedded!

Cheers

2013/7/1 James Snyder <[hidden email]>
[...]

ph: <a href="tel:%28847%29%20448-0386" value="+558474480386" target="_blank">(847) 448-0386

gduarte gduarte