PIC32 port of eLua

ernie ernie

PIC32 port of eLua

Reading back though the mail list to see the status of the PIC32 port of eLua, I can't seem to find much activity since about a year ago. There were some issues raised in those threads that were hindering the port.

MPLAB IDE was Windows only.
Microchip's libraries had some license issues.
A general lack of PIC32 boards to develop for.

Things seem to have moved on a fir bit since then. Microchip have released MPLAB X a cross platform version of MPLAB. (I have tried it on a Mac and it runs well). The release comes with a free C32 tool chain based on GCC. Also there is another tool chain called pic32-tools that comes bundled with MPIDE the open source Arduino style IDE.

http://ww1.microchip.com/downloads/mplab/X/index.html
http://www.chipkit.cc/wiki/index.php?title=MPIDE_Installation

There are now a number of PIC32 based boards mostly using the PIC32MX795 micro controller series.

chipKIT Max32 -  http://www.chipkit.org/
Duinomite - http://www.duinomite.com/
Maximite - http://maximite.com.au
UBW32 - http://www.sparkfun.com/products/9713

I have a Duinomite mega and a mini Maximite, both of which have a bootloader and a flavour of MMBASIC as standard. The Duinomite mega is my favourite as it has the great range of features. I compiled RetroBSD  for the Duinomite with the pic32-tools tool chain without any problems, installed it over USB using the standard bootloader and an open source utility called mphidflash.

I was hoping the eLua devs could have another look at the PIC32, now that compiler and hardware options have expanded.

- Ernie.

Ivan Baggett Ivan Baggett

Re: PIC32 port of eLua

> Reading back though the mail list to see the status of the PIC32 port of
> eLua, I can't seem to find much activity since about a year ago. There
> were
> some issues raised in those threads that were hindering the port.
>
> MPLAB IDE was Windows only.
> Microchip's libraries had some license issues.
> A general lack of PIC32 boards to develop for.
>
> Things seem to have moved on a fir bit since then. Microchip have released
> MPLAB X a cross platform version of MPLAB. (I have tried it on a Mac and
> it
> runs well). The release comes with a free C32 tool chain based on GCC.
> Also
> there is another tool chain called pic32-tools that comes bundled with
> MPIDE
> the open source Arduino style IDE.
>
> http://ww1.microchip.com/downloads/mplab/X/index.html
> http://www.chipkit.cc/wiki/index.php?title=MPIDE_Installation
>

> There are now a number of PIC32 based boards mostly using the PIC32MX795
> micro controller series.
>
> chipKIT Max32 -  http://www.chipkit.org/
> Duinomite - http://www.duinomite.com/
> Maximite - http://maximite.com.au
> UBW32 - http://www.sparkfun.com/products/9713
>
> I have a Duinomite mega and a mini Maximite, both of which have a
> bootloader
> and a flavour of MMBASIC as standard. The Duinomite mega is my favourite
> as
> it has the great range of features. I compiled RetroBSD  for the Duinomite
> with the pic32-tools tool chain without any problems, installed it over
> USB
> using the standard bootloader and an open source utility called
> mphidflash.
>

> I was hoping the eLua devs could have another look at the PIC32, now that
> compiler and hardware options have expanded.
>

> - Ernie.

I agree.  I was a part of some of that discussion of PIC32 eLua.  I still
would like to use eLua on a PIC32, for a current project.  I've used MPLAB
X on Windows, and it works well there too.  I really don't care about
hardware driver support, because hardware I will access with C.  If
someone could just get the eLua core ported, with hooks to the PIC32 C
compiler, I can take it from there for my projects.

--
Best regards,
Ivan Baggett

Pito Pito

Re: PIC32 port of eLua

Try http://askrprojects.net/software/pic32lua/index.html

Works fine, needs C30 2.01, currently 0.4bversion. P.

--
- - Reklama - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Druhý dubnový víkend bude patřit kraslicím, beránkům a pomlázkám...

Pito Pito

funlw65 funlw65

Re: PIC32 port of eLua

Pic32Lua have support for two SD-Cards and works with Chipkit MAX32. Not yet support for I2C and SPI (I am most interested in I2C). Axel (the author) said that he will provide a new version with the required support but I guess he had no time yet...

2012/4/4 pito <[hidden email]>
..C32 of course..

--
- - Reklama - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Druhý dubnový víkend bude patřit kraslicím, beránkům a pomlázkám...
Vše o tradičních i moderních oslavách svátků jara čtěte ve
velikonočním speciálu portálu VOLNÝ.cz na http://bit.ly/HocGsL

Vasi

Pito Pito

Re: PIC32 port of eLua

.. it is a long time back I worked with Pic32lua (v0.2?) but adding
a new function was easy (I added "peek" and "poke" :) ). SPI an I2C
are just functions, not "drivers"..

On Wed, Apr 4, 2012 at 2:55 AM, ernie <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Reading back though the mail list to see the status of the PIC32 port of
> eLua, I can't seem to find much activity since about a year ago. There were
> some issues raised in those threads that were hindering the port.
>
> MPLAB IDE was Windows only.
> Microchip's libraries had some license issues.
> A general lack of PIC32 boards to develop for.
>
> Things seem to have moved on a fir bit since then. Microchip have released
> MPLAB X a cross platform version of MPLAB. (I have tried it on a Mac and it
> runs well). The release comes with a free C32 tool chain based on GCC. Also
> there is another tool chain called pic32-tools that comes bundled with MPIDE
> the open source Arduino style IDE.
>
> http://ww1.microchip.com/downloads/mplab/X/index.html
> http://www.chipkit.cc/wiki/index.php?title=MPIDE_Installation

What about the libraries? Have they changed something in that area?
The main problem in the past wasn't the compiler, but the support
libraries which had a restrictive license, incompatible with eLua.
Things like platform start-up/initialization were hard to do without
those libraries.

> There are now a number of PIC32 based boards mostly using the PIC32MX795
> micro controller series.
>
> chipKIT Max32 -  http://www.chipkit.org/
> Duinomite - http://www.duinomite.com/
> Maximite - http://maximite.com.au
> UBW32 - http://www.sparkfun.com/products/9713
>
> I have a Duinomite mega and a mini Maximite, both of which have a bootloader
> and a flavour of MMBASIC as standard. The Duinomite mega is my favourite as
> it has the great range of features. I compiled RetroBSD  for the Duinomite
> with the pic32-tools tool chain without any problems, installed it over USB
> using the standard bootloader and an open source utility called mphidflash.
>

> I was hoping the eLua devs could have another look at the PIC32, now that
> compiler and hardware options have expanded.

> - Ernie.

funlw65 funlw65

Re: PIC32 port of eLua

Not yet! They ported newlib and the package is under test as a MPIDE "component". No activity in making something different (regarding to peripheral library). Still, there is Pinguino project and those guys come up with their own peripheral library and a newlib adaptation - completely free. Their compiler is at a newer version.
http://pinguino.cc

On Wed, Apr 4, 2012 at 1:09 PM, Bogdan Marinescu <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi,

On Wed, Apr 4, 2012 at 2:55 AM, ernie <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Reading back though the mail list to see the status of the PIC32 port of
> eLua, I can't seem to find much activity since about a year ago. There were
> some issues raised in those threads that were hindering the port.
>
> MPLAB IDE was Windows only.
> Microchip's libraries had some license issues.
> A general lack of PIC32 boards to develop for.
>
> Things seem to have moved on a fir bit since then. Microchip have released
> MPLAB X a cross platform version of MPLAB. (I have tried it on a Mac and it
> runs well). The release comes with a free C32 tool chain based on GCC. Also
> there is another tool chain called pic32-tools that comes bundled with MPIDE
> the open source Arduino style IDE.
>
> http://ww1.microchip.com/downloads/mplab/X/index.html
> http://www.chipkit.cc/wiki/index.php?title=MPIDE_Installation

What about the libraries? Have they changed something in that area?
The main problem in the past wasn't the compiler, but the support
libraries which had a restrictive license, incompatible with eLua.
Things like platform start-up/initialization were hard to do without
those libraries.

> There are now a number of PIC32 based boards mostly using the PIC32MX795
> micro controller series.
>
> chipKIT Max32 -  http://www.chipkit.org/
> Duinomite - http://www.duinomite.com/
> Maximite - http://maximite.com.au
> UBW32 - http://www.sparkfun.com/products/9713
>
> I have a Duinomite mega and a mini Maximite, both of which have a bootloader
> and a flavour of MMBASIC as standard. The Duinomite mega is my favourite as
> it has the great range of features. I compiled RetroBSD  for the Duinomite
> with the pic32-tools tool chain without any problems, installed it over USB
> using the standard bootloader and an open source utility called mphidflash.
>

> I was hoping the eLua devs could have another look at the PIC32, now that
> compiler and hardware options have expanded.

> - Ernie.
>

> --

Vasi

Pito Pito

Re: PIC32 port of eLua

..the MCHP libs are restrictive.. there is a chance to use Jason's
compiler

https://github.com/jasonkajita/chipKIT-cxx/downloads

which is used with retrobsd.org succesfuly.
P.

Pito Pito

funlw65 funlw65