New beagleboard posting from TI $89

Tim Michals Tim Michals

New beagleboard posting from TI $89

http://beagleboard.org/bone

Hum, might have to scrap my microcontroller ;)

Paul Curtis Paul Curtis

Re: New beagleboard posting from TI $89

It's a nice looking thing, to be sure.  :-)

-- Paul.

On Mon, Oct 31, 2011 at 10:10 PM, Tim michals <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hum, might have to scrap my microcontroller ;)

And wouldn't you know it, Christmas is coming soon. Coincidence? I would have to say "no" :)

On Mon, Oct 31, 2011 at 18:10, Tim michals <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hum, might have to scrap my microcontroller ;)

Nice ! Thanks !
I would rather have GPIO INT working on the supported platforms first though :)

Tony-12 Tony-12

Re: New beagleboard posting from TI $89

And you could run the BeagleBone without Linux and have a lean, mean eLua machine with no Linux overhead... and TI is thinking along the same lines, with their StarterWare library for embedded programming with no OS (it's basically expanding the StellarisWare concept for TI MPU/DSPs).

And, yeah,  the BeagleBone is tempting; it has some great peripherals (like PWM, ADC, QEP, CAN, HS USB, and Gigabit Ethernet).

--Tony

On Tue, Nov 1, 2011 at 2:45 PM, Tony <[hidden email]> wrote:
> And you could run the BeagleBone without Linux and have a lean, mean eLua
> machine with no Linux overhead... and TI is thinking along the same lines,
> with their StarterWare library for embedded programming with no OS (it's
> basically expanding the StellarisWare concept for TI MPU/DSPs).
>
> And, yeah,  the BeagleBone is tempting; it has some great peripherals (like
> PWM, ADC, QEP, CAN, HS USB, and Gigabit Ethernet).

Very interesting.  I'll have to investigate the StarterWare library.
If that peripheral list is accurate, that's actually a nice usable set
compared with an MCU.  I can think of a number of applications that
this would work well for especially with a CAN bus.

Generally, we might say that a platform like this would be overkill
for eLua and you might as well run Lua on top of Linux, since we
haven't had as much of a model for multitasking, but it's possible to
do some of this now by using the interrupt support and expanding upon
that where appropriate to the use case or task.

-jsnyder

Tony-12 Tony-12

On Tue, Nov 1, 2011 at 4:48 PM, James Snyder <[hidden email]> wrote:
On Tue, Nov 1, 2011 at 2:45 PM, Tony <[hidden email]> wrote:
> And you could run the BeagleBone without Linux and have a lean, mean eLua
> machine with no Linux overhead... and TI is thinking along the same lines,
> with their StarterWare library for embedded programming with no OS (it's
> basically expanding the StellarisWare concept for TI MPU/DSPs).
>
> And, yeah,  the BeagleBone is tempting; it has some great peripherals (like
> PWM, ADC, QEP, CAN, HS USB, and Gigabit Ethernet).

Very interesting.  I'll have to investigate the StarterWare library.
If that peripheral list is accurate, that's actually a nice usable set
compared with an MCU.  I can think of a number of applications that
this would work well for especially with a CAN bus.

Generally, we might say that a platform like this would be overkill
for eLua and you might as well run Lua on top of Linux, since we
haven't had as much of a model for multitasking, but it's possible to
do some of this now by using the interrupt support and expanding upon
that where appropriate to the use case or task.

-jsnyder

You'll have to be a little patient (and maybe ping on TI), since StarterWare is currently only available for select models (AM180x, C6478, OMAP L138).

I suspect quite a few embedded applications will do fine with interrupts plus main program; besides, what's wrong with a 720MHz MCU?  Especially when many MCU boards cost almost as much as the BeagleBone?

Even with a MPU, size can matter: it's highly possible an entire eLua program (eLua interpreter + program) will fit into the cache memory, improving speed and jitter, but there's no way Linux + Lua will.

--Tony

> --Tony
>

> On 10/31/2011 1:32 PM, Bogdan Marinescu wrote:
>
> On Mon, Oct 31, 2011 at 10:10 PM, Tim michals <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> http://beagleboard.org/bone
>> Hum, might have to scrap my microcontroller ;)
>
> And wouldn't you know it, Christmas is coming soon. Coincidence? I would
> have to say "no" :)
> Best,
> Bogdan

Tim Michals Tim Michals

Re: New beagleboard posting from TI $89

A new twist the BeagleBone is trying to is make development easy with node.js with cloud9 GUI development tools.  Use javajscript accessing the drivers and using a debugger (cload9)

On Wed, Nov 2, 2011 at 1:48 AM, James Snyder <[hidden email]> wrote:
On Tue, Nov 1, 2011 at 2:45 PM, Tony <[hidden email]> wrote:
> And you could run the BeagleBone without Linux and have a lean, mean eLua
> machine with no Linux overhead... and TI is thinking along the same lines,
> with their StarterWare library for embedded programming with no OS (it's
> basically expanding the StellarisWare concept for TI MPU/DSPs).
>
> And, yeah,  the BeagleBone is tempting; it has some great peripherals (like
> PWM, ADC, QEP, CAN, HS USB, and Gigabit Ethernet).

Very interesting.  I'll have to investigate the StarterWare library.
If that peripheral list is accurate, that's actually a nice usable set
compared with an MCU.  I can think of a number of applications that
this would work well for especially with a CAN bus.

Generally, we might say that a platform like this would be overkill
for eLua and you might as well run Lua on top of Linux, since we
haven't had as much of a model for multitasking, but it's possible to
do some of this now by using the interrupt support and expanding upon
that where appropriate to the use case or task.

My thoughts exactly. While generally I'd feel reluctant to consider eLua on such a platform, I feel tempted to give it a try in this particular case. Hoping to see this thing on tideals.com is maybe asking too much from life? :)

-jsnyder