New Site

Dado Sutter-3 Dado Sutter-3

New Site

Hello eLuers :)
   We're proud to announce that *eLua* has a new site, based on Sputnik, a
Wiki engine 100% written in Lua (it is actually a whole web dev framework :)
   The official *eLua* URL now points to the new wiki: www.eluaproject.net

   It is far from ready but that's the spirit of a wiki :) As *eLua*, it
will be evolving fast in the next weeks too.
   The documentation is beeing enhanced, support for new platforms are
comming soon, more examples are beeing written every day and new eLua
modules too.
   We are also working on a Portuguese version of the site.
.
   Thanks to those who helped with the migration for the Wiki format and for
Yuri, who made Sputnik come true.

-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...

Dado Sutter-2 Dado Sutter-2

Fwd: New Site

Yuri Takhteyev Yuri Takhteyev

New Site

Glad to see you are putting Sputnik to good use. Let me know if you
need any help. I'll be in Rio starting with next week so I can even
offer some in-person tech support.

I would change the colors a little to make it not look so default. Or
be more ambitious and make it look more like the old elua site. And
perhaps it would make sense to hide elua.cgi from the URL? Just make
it http://www.eluaproject.net/en/<page_name>?

 - yuri

--
http://sputnik.freewisdom.org/

Frédéric THOMAS-5 Frédéric THOMAS-5

New Site

>    The official eLua URL now points to the new wiki: www.eluaproject.net

Hmm, does not seem to work at all at the moment.

Fred

New Site

Thanks for the report Fred !
   It seems strange though, because I have (web) access from here and I am
even editing the wiki.
   The wiki is hosted in one of our servers on the Lab at PUC-Rio. Sometimes
(rare) PUC messes up the routing or have power outage problems but it
doesn't seem to be the case now (I've just called to check).
   I'll keep an eye on the availability and on these usefull reports.

Tks again

On Sat, Dec 6, 2008 at 11:41, Fr?d?ric Thomas
<berlios.de at thomascorner.com>wrote:

> >    The official eLua URL now points to the new wiki: www.eluaproject.net
>
> Hmm, does not seem to work at all at the moment.
>
> Fred

-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...

Bittencourt Bittencourt

New Site

Not working from here too.

--Pedro Bittencourt

On Sat, Dec 6, 2008 at 12:06 PM, Dado Sutter <dadosutter at gmail.com> wrote:

> Thanks for the report Fred !
>    It seems strange though, because I have (web) access from here and I am
> even editing the wiki.
>    The wiki is hosted in one of our servers on the Lab at PUC-Rio.
> Sometimes (rare) PUC messes up the routing or have power outage problems but
> it doesn't seem to be the case now (I've just called to check).
>    I'll keep an eye on the availability and on these usefull reports.
>
> Tks again
> Best
> Dado
>

> On Sat, Dec 6, 2008 at 11:41, Fr?d?ric Thomas <berlios.de at thomascorner.com
> > wrote:
>
>> >    The official eLua URL now points to the new wiki:
>> www.eluaproject.net
>>
>> Hmm, does not seem to work at all at the moment.
>>
>> Fred

-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...

Frédéric THOMAS-5 Frédéric THOMAS-5

New Site

Here is the deal, the redirect acrobatics just fail at some point with
Safari on the Mac (and potentially other browsers).

Acrobatics because

   http://www.eluaproject.net/

redirects (301) to

   http://www.giga.puc-rio.br/elua

which itselfs redirects (301) to

   http://www.giga.puc-rio.br/elua/

at which stage whoever wrote this decided we had enough fun with 301
and it was time to use some old deprecated trick from the Netscape
days - and it returns a web "page" with:

   <META http-equiv="refresh" content=";URL=/cgi-bin/elua.cgi">

Insofar as there is a spec for this, it probably mandates a digit
before the ; in content="". For example 0. With such a change it works
on Safari and Firefox on the Mac:

   <META http-equiv="refresh" content="0;URL=/cgi-bin/elua.cgi">

And we're finally home at URL:

   http://www.giga.puc-rio.br/cgi-bin/elua.cgi

Adding the 0 fixes Safari/OSX. I would however suggest the whole thing
is given the once over for efficiency and web standard validation.

HTH

Fred

On Dec 6, 2008, at 16:48 , Pedro Bittencourt wrote:

> Not working from here too.
>
> --Pedro Bittencourt
>

> On Sat, Dec 6, 2008 at 12:06 PM, Dado Sutter <dadosutter at gmail.com>
> wrote:
> Thanks for the report Fred !
>    It seems strange though, because I have (web) access from here
> and I am even editing the wiki.
>    The wiki is hosted in one of our servers on the Lab at PUC-Rio.
> Sometimes (rare) PUC messes up the routing or have power outage
> problems but it doesn't seem to be the case now (I've just called to
> check).
>    I'll keep an eye on the availability and on these usefull reports.
>
> Tks again
> Best
> Dado
>

> On Sat, Dec 6, 2008 at 11:41, Fr?d?ric Thomas <berlios.de at thomascorner.com
> > wrote:
> >    The official eLua URL now points to the new wiki: www.eluaproject.net
>
> Hmm, does not seem to work at all at the moment.
>
> Fred

Téo Benjamin Téo Benjamin

New Site

Not working here too right now.

On Sat, Dec 6, 2008 at 2:31 PM, Fr?d?ric Thomas <berlios.de at thomascorner.com
> wrote:

> Here is the deal, the redirect acrobatics just fail at some point with
> Safari on the Mac (and potentially other browsers).
>
> Acrobatics because
>
>   http://www.eluaproject.net/
>
> redirects (301) to
>
>   http://www.giga.puc-rio.br/elua
>
> which itselfs redirects (301) to
>
>   http://www.giga.puc-rio.br/elua/
>
> at which stage whoever wrote this decided we had enough fun with 301
> and it was time to use some old deprecated trick from the Netscape
> days - and it returns a web "page" with:
>
>   <META http-equiv="refresh" content=";URL=/cgi-bin/elua.cgi">
>
> Insofar as there is a spec for this, it probably mandates a digit
> before the ; in content="". For example 0. With such a change it works
> on Safari and Firefox on the Mac:
>
>   <META http-equiv="refresh" content="0;URL=/cgi-bin/elua.cgi">
>
> And we're finally home at URL:
>
>   http://www.giga.puc-rio.br/cgi-bin/elua.cgi
>

> Adding the 0 fixes Safari/OSX. I would however suggest the whole thing
> is given the once over for efficiency and web standard validation.
>
> HTH
>
> Fred
>

> On Dec 6, 2008, at 16:48 , Pedro Bittencourt wrote:
>
> > Not working from here too.
> >
> > --Pedro Bittencourt
> >

> > On Sat, Dec 6, 2008 at 12:06 PM, Dado Sutter <dadosutter at gmail.com>
> > wrote:
> > Thanks for the report Fred !
> >    It seems strange though, because I have (web) access from here
> > and I am even editing the wiki.
> >    The wiki is hosted in one of our servers on the Lab at PUC-Rio.
> > Sometimes (rare) PUC messes up the routing or have power outage
> > problems but it doesn't seem to be the case now (I've just called to
> > check).
> >    I'll keep an eye on the availability and on these usefull reports.
> >
> > Tks again
> > Best
> > Dado
> >

> > On Sat, Dec 6, 2008 at 11:41, Fr?d?ric Thomas <berlios.de@
> thomascorner.com
> > > wrote:
> > >    The official eLua URL now points to the new wiki:
> www.eluaproject.net
> >
> > Hmm, does not seem to work at all at the moment.
> >
> > Fred

-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...

New Site

Working fine here right now (?!).
So, Thomas, if I understood correctly, we should redirect eluaproject.net to

On Sat, Dec 6, 2008 at 6:44 PM, T?o Benjamin <teo.benjamin at gmail.com> wrote:

> Not working here too right now.
>

> On Sat, Dec 6, 2008 at 2:31 PM, Fr?d?ric Thomas <berlios.de@
> thomascorner.com> wrote:
>
>> Here is the deal, the redirect acrobatics just fail at some point with
>> Safari on the Mac (and potentially other browsers).
>>
>> Acrobatics because
>>
>>   http://www.eluaproject.net/
>>
>> redirects (301) to
>>
>>   http://www.giga.puc-rio.br/elua
>>
>> which itselfs redirects (301) to
>>
>>   http://www.giga.puc-rio.br/elua/
>>
>> at which stage whoever wrote this decided we had enough fun with 301
>> and it was time to use some old deprecated trick from the Netscape
>> days - and it returns a web "page" with:
>>
>>   <META http-equiv="refresh" content=";URL=/cgi-bin/elua.cgi">
>>
>> Insofar as there is a spec for this, it probably mandates a digit
>> before the ; in content="". For example 0. With such a change it works
>> on Safari and Firefox on the Mac:
>>
>>   <META http-equiv="refresh" content="0;URL=/cgi-bin/elua.cgi">
>>
>> And we're finally home at URL:
>>
>>   http://www.giga.puc-rio.br/cgi-bin/elua.cgi
>>

>> Adding the 0 fixes Safari/OSX. I would however suggest the whole thing
>> is given the once over for efficiency and web standard validation.
>>
>> HTH
>>
>> Fred
>>

>> On Dec 6, 2008, at 16:48 , Pedro Bittencourt wrote:
>>
>> > Not working from here too.
>> >
>> > --Pedro Bittencourt
>> >

>> > On Sat, Dec 6, 2008 at 12:06 PM, Dado Sutter <dadosutter at gmail.com>
>> > wrote:
>> > Thanks for the report Fred !
>> >    It seems strange though, because I have (web) access from here
>> > and I am even editing the wiki.
>> >    The wiki is hosted in one of our servers on the Lab at PUC-Rio.
>> > Sometimes (rare) PUC messes up the routing or have power outage
>> > problems but it doesn't seem to be the case now (I've just called to
>> > check).
>> >    I'll keep an eye on the availability and on these usefull reports.
>> >
>> > Tks again
>> > Best
>> > Dado
>> >

>> > On Sat, Dec 6, 2008 at 11:41, Fr?d?ric Thomas <berlios.de@
>> thomascorner.com
>> www.eluaproject.net
>> >
>> > Hmm, does not seem to work at all at the moment.
>> >
>> > Fred

-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...

Yuri Takhteyev Yuri Takhteyev

New Site

> So, Thomas, if I understood correctly, we should redirect eluaproject.net to
> http://www.giga.puc-rio.br/cgi-bin/elua.cgi?

Why redirect at all? Just point eluaproject's DNS record to
139.82.143.2, assuming it's a static IP. Then add three URL rewrite
rules conditional on host name:

RewriteCond %{HTTP_HOST}   ^eluaproject [NC]
RewriteRule ^$ /cgi-bin/elua.cgi
RewriteCond %{HTTP_HOST}   ^eluaproject [NC]
RewriteRule ^en/$ /cgi-bin/elua.cgi
RewriteCond %{HTTP_HOST}   ^eluaproject [NC]
RewriteRule ^en/(.*)$ /cgi-bin/elua.cgi?p=$1

This is how sputnik.freewisdom.org works.

Also, for something like this, there is little benefit in hosting it
on a machine in the office. Why not put it up with some web hosting
company? I can host it on the same server where I host sputnik, if you
want.

- yuri

--
http://sputnik.freewisdom.org/

Frédéric Thomas-2 Frédéric Thomas-2

New Site

> Working fine here right now (?!).

It works fine here with Firefox. Only Safari is giving me trouble.
Both on OS X. I don't know what browsers/OS the other reporting
problems have.

So yes it does work for some, and not for others.

> So, Thomas, if I understood correctly, we should redirect
> eluaproject.net to http://www.giga.puc-rio.br/cgi-bin/elua.cgi?

Hard to say without knowing what your constraints are. I was just
saying there were probably too many hops :) Yuri has a nice clean
proposal. But that's a long term fix.

Short term fix: add the 0 in the meta refresh thingy. That will make
it work for everybody IMHO. You can then discuss the best long term
solution with the local experts.

Fred

New Site

Why redirect at all? Just point eluaproject's DNS record to
> 139.82.143.2, assuming it's a static IP.

I can do that.

> Then add three URL rewrite
> rules conditional on host name:
>
> RewriteCond %{HTTP_HOST}   ^eluaproject [NC]
> RewriteRule ^$ /cgi-bin/elua.cgi
> RewriteCond %{HTTP_HOST}   ^eluaproject [NC]
> RewriteRule ^en/$ /cgi-bin/elua.cgi
> RewriteCond %{HTTP_HOST}   ^eluaproject [NC]
> RewriteRule ^en/(.*)$ /cgi-bin/elua.cgi?p=$1
>
> This is how sputnik.freewisdom.org works.

I can't do this :) Or don't know how. I assume it has to be done on the
server itself, and I only have access to the web admin interface (I should
probably point out that I know very little about Sputnik).

> Also, for something like this, there is little benefit in hosting it
> on a machine in the office. Why not put it up with some web hosting
> company? I can host it on the same server where I host sputnik, if you
> want.

I had no idea this is hosted on a machine in the office. Dado, what do you
think about moving it to a dedicated site?

> - yuri

Thank you very much for your help, Yuri.

> --
> http://sputnik.freewisdom.org/

-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...

New Site

Hello Guys,

On Sun, Dec 7, 2008 at 06:47, Bogdan Marinescu
<bogdan.marinescu at gmail.com>wrote:

> Hi,
>

> Why redirect at all? Just point eluaproject's DNS record to
>> 139.82.143.2, assuming it's a static IP.
>

> I can do that.

I confirm the IP is static but pls redirect to 139.82.143.2/elua , if
posible. It will work, at least for some months, if you don't.

>> RewriteRule ^en/(.*)$ /cgi-bin/elua.cgi?p=$1
>>
>> This is how sputnik.freewisdom.org works.
>

> I can't do this :) Or don't know how. I assume it has to be done on the
> server itself, and I only have access to the web admin interface (I should
> probably point out that I know very little about Sputnik).

I'll check this with my web team on tuesday (PUC will be closed on monday)

Also, for something like this, there is little benefit in hosting it
>> on a machine in the office. Why not put it up with some web hosting
>> company? I can host it on the same server where I host sputnik, if you
>> want.
>

> I had no idea this is hosted on a machine in the office. Dado, what do you
> think about moving it to a dedicated site?

I don't see any problem with that, much on the contrary.
I decided to host it in our servers, based on the fact that we have access
to everything there (routing rules, complete admin access, backup, .......).
And also because we need to avoid costs at this moment, as eLua does not
have any financial support other than me and Bogdan.
I must also mention that web hosting and web stuff in general is not my
area, so I have very little knowledge of the real options.
It would be nice indeed if we find some better place to host our eLua wiki,
if we can do whatever we want with Sputnik on it and have (almost) complete
admin access too, for free.

> Thank you very much for your help, Yuri.

Yes ! Thanks to Yuri and Fred for the great help !

> Best,
> Bogdan

>> --
>> http://sputnik.freewisdom.org/

-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...

Frédéric THOMAS-5 Frédéric THOMAS-5

New Site

> It would be nice indeed if we find some better place to host our
> eLua wiki, if we can do whatever we want with Sputnik on it and have
> (almost) complete admin access too, for free.

I can also host it on my Dreamhost account, if you like.

Fred

Yuri Takhteyev Yuri Takhteyev

New Site

> I confirm the IP is static but pls redirect to 139.82.143.2/elua , if
> posible. It will work, at least for some months, if you don't.

No, don't _redirect_. However controls the eluaproject.net domain
should login to their registrar's web site and do the following:

(1) deactivate web forwarding,
(2) enter the default name servers for your registrar (if they already
have values like "ns19.yourregistrar.com" then just leave them there),
(3) create two "A" records, one pointing "@" to 139.82.143.2 and
another pointing "www" to "@". The fields might have different names,
for different registrars. Perphas, you set "name" to "@" and "value"
to "139.82.143.2" or "host" to "@" and "points to" to "139.82.143.2".
(If you also see at "TTL" field than leave it as is or set it to 24
hours.)

After you do this, it would take a day or two for the data to
propagate, so people will be getting different results. Once it
propagates, however, someone going to eluaproject.net will start
seeing Sputnik, but still with "eluaproject.net" in the URL. Getting
rid of elua.cgi in the URL is a separate step - let's do this one
thing at a time.

>> I can't do this :) Or don't know how. I assume it has to be done on the
>> server itself, and I only have access to the web admin interface (I should
>> probably point out that I know very little about Sputnik).
>
> I'll check this with my web team on tuesday (PUC will be closed on monday)

Those are two separate things, though, we can deal with them one at a
time. I can help you with local server set up when I am at PUC.

> It would be nice indeed if we find some better place to host our eLua wiki,
> if we can do whatever we want with Sputnik on it and have (almost) complete
> admin access too, for free.

"can do whatever we want" and "free" are hard to reconcile. Sputnik
runs trivially on cheap shared hosting such as dreamhost, though. I
can host eLua wiki on my dreamhost account if you want, but this of
course means that you will have limited access. (Fr?d?ric offered the
same, I think.)

Alternatively, I've been planning to offer hosted Sputnik accounts
with git access. That is, your sputnik data would be stored in a git
repository and you will able to use git for backup, troubleshooting
and other fun stuff (like synchronization between several servers).
Let me know if you want to be a guinea pig.

- yuri

--
http://sputnik.freewisdom.org/

Frédéric THOMAS-5 Frédéric THOMAS-5

New Site

>> It would be nice indeed if we find some better place to host our
>> eLua wiki,
>> if we can do whatever we want with Sputnik on it and have (almost)
>> complete
>> admin access too, for free.
>
> "can do whatever we want" and "free" are hard to reconcile. Sputnik
> runs trivially on cheap shared hosting such as dreamhost, though. I
> can host eLua wiki on my dreamhost account if you want, but this of
> course means that you will have limited access. (Fr?d?ric offered the
> same, I think.)

What I was thinking was to host eluaproject.net, create a eluadmin
user with shell/ftp access to the server directory, and let it as well
administer using the dreamhost Gui. Whoever has the password for
eluadmin has pretty close to complete control, and no possibility to
mess with my domains.

Now it seems help would be also welcome managing all this, including
Sputnik. Obviously there Yuri would be the expert.

Fred