IDE project files

Mike King Mike King

IDE project files

I want to open this up for general discussion.  Both Bogdanm and I
feel that IDE project files should not be in the same directory as the
source code.  I've suggested to create a directory at the root of the
source tree possibly named "build".  I think it is more important to
document how to build elua's supporting utilities then it is to have
the project files.  Does anyone have some thoughts on the matter?

Original thread
https://github.com/elua/elua/pull/3
Ronan Paixão-2 Ronan Paixão-2

Re: IDE project files

Well, then maybe it would be good to have subdirectories in build/ to
put the project files. That way, if those projects use only relative
paths, one can easily jumpstart the building just copying those files
to the right places.

Ronan

2011/5/9 Mike King <[hidden email]>:

> I want to open this up for general discussion.  Both Bogdanm and I
> feel that IDE project files should not be in the same directory as the
> source code.  I've suggested to create a directory at the root of the
> source tree possibly named "build".  I think it is more important to
> document how to build elua's supporting utilities then it is to have
> the project files.  Does anyone have some thoughts on the matter?
>
> Original thread
> https://github.com/elua/elua/pull/3
Mauricio Henrique Bomfim Mauricio Henrique Bomfim

Re: IDE project files

Mike,

    I think you would like to see the proposal for this kind of
separation here: http://tracker.eluaproject.net/issues/220. This is a
project oriented build structure proposal, where the "project" files
stay separated of eLua files. There is a proof of concept of this
proposal here: https://github.com/mpolitzer/elua/commit/bb5dd905ff2a90ce66e36b8871c437b1e0272e0f

Feel free to ask for more details if the explanation on the issue is not enough.

[]s

Mauricio

On Mon, May 9, 2011 at 10:10 AM, Mike King <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I want to open this up for general discussion.  Both Bogdanm and I
> feel that IDE project files should not be in the same directory as the
> source code.  I've suggested to create a directory at the root of the
> source tree possibly named "build".  I think it is more important to
> document how to build elua's supporting utilities then it is to have
> the project files.  Does anyone have some thoughts on the matter?
>
> Original thread
> https://github.com/elua/elua/pull/3

Re: IDE project files

Hi,

On Mon, May 9, 2011 at 5:24 PM, Mauricio Henrique Bomfim <[hidden email]> wrote:
Mike,

   I think you would like to see the proposal for this kind of
separation here: http://tracker.eluaproject.net/issues/220. This is a
project oriented build structure proposal, where the "project" files
stay separated of eLua files. There is a proof of concept of this
proposal here: https://github.com/mpolitzer/elua/commit/bb5dd905ff2a90ce66e36b8871c437b1e0272e0f

Feel free to ask for more details if the explanation on the issue is not enough.

I believe your proporsal and Mike's are quite different conceptually, although they might have some common parts. Consequently, please open another for your project based eLua idea and let's focus on a build system structure for "external" components (such as the RFS server and the serial multiplexer) on this one.

On Mon, May 9, 2011 at 10:10 AM, Mike King <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I want to open this up for general discussion.  Both Bogdanm and I
> feel that IDE project files should not be in the same directory as the
> source code.  I've suggested to create a directory at the root of the
> source tree possibly named "build".  I think it is more important to
> document how to build elua's supporting utilities then it is to have
> the project files.  Does anyone have some thoughts on the matter?
>
> Original thread
> https://github.com/elua/elua/pull/3
Kevin Vermeer Kevin Vermeer

Re: IDE project files

On Mon, May 9, 2011 at 9:10 AM, Mike King <[hidden email]> wrote:
I want to open this up for general discussion.  Both Bogdanm and I
feel that IDE project files should not be in the same directory as the
source code.  I've suggested to create a directory at the root of the
source tree possibly named "build".  I think it is more important to
document how to build elua's supporting utilities then it is to have
the project files.
Do you think the two options exclusive? If the issue is that we wanted to have build documentation in build/, I think we can come up with another name.

Does anyone have some thoughts on the matter?

Original thread
https://github.com/elua/elua/pull/3

I agree. IDE project files should not be in the same directory as the source code in the repository.  However, it makes sense to point the working directory of your IDE at this location, so some complications may arise if the project files are elsewhere.

I've advocated Premake (http://industriousone.com/premake) before, and I think it would be an excellent solution to this problem (if it supported all the target IDEs, which it probably does not).   A Lua script (or group of Lua scripts) to generate the IDE files means that (1) we don't end up with big, binary blobs in the source code directory, (2) configurations can be applied to all the IDEs simultaneously, and (3) we don't have to have a dozen files for everyone's preferred IDE.

I would be OK with putting a base premake[4].lua file in the source code folder.  We may want to have a build/ (or premake/) directory to contain files require()'d or dofile()'d from the main file, though.

Mauricio Henrique Bomfim Mauricio Henrique Bomfim

Re: IDE project files

On Mon, May 9, 2011 at 11:27 AM, Bogdan Marinescu
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> On Mon, May 9, 2011 at 5:24 PM, Mauricio Henrique Bomfim
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Mike,
>>
>>    I think you would like to see the proposal for this kind of
>> separation here: http://tracker.eluaproject.net/issues/220. This is a
>> project oriented build structure proposal, where the "project" files
>> stay separated of eLua files. There is a proof of concept of this
>> proposal here:
>> https://github.com/mpolitzer/elua/commit/bb5dd905ff2a90ce66e36b8871c437b1e0272e0f
>>
>> Feel free to ask for more details if the explanation on the issue is not
>> enough.
>
> I believe your proporsal and Mike's are quite different conceptually,
> although they might have some common parts. Consequently, please open
> another for your project based eLua idea and let's focus on a build system
> structure for "external" components (such as the RFS server and the serial
> multiplexer) on this one.

But, in fact, this issue is more about project based organization than
build system for "external" components. Is it not the case to open
another issue for the later?

[]s

Mauricio

<[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Mon, May 9, 2011 at 5:24 PM, Mauricio Henrique Bomfim
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Mike,
>>
>>    I think you would like to see the proposal for this kind of
>> separation here: http://tracker.eluaproject.net/issues/220. This is a
>> project oriented build structure proposal, where the "project" files
>> stay separated of eLua files. There is a proof of concept of this
>> proposal here:
>> https://github.com/mpolitzer/elua/commit/bb5dd905ff2a90ce66e36b8871c437b1e0272e0f
>>
>> Feel free to ask for more details if the explanation on the issue is not
>> enough.
>
> I believe your proporsal and Mike's are quite different conceptually,
> although they might have some common parts. Consequently, please open
> another for your project based eLua idea and let's focus on a build system
> structure for "external" components (such as the RFS server and the serial
> multiplexer) on this one.

But, in fact, this issue is more about project based organization than
build system for "external" components. Is it not the case to open
another issue for the later?

This issue originated from a pull request which added support for building our RFS server and multiplexer with VS 2010 and now we're discussing how to extend this further, so it is in fact about a build system for external components. It doesn't try to change the way eLua is structured, just to add some IDE support for our tools. In other words, it's definitely not about how the whole eLua should be "project based". So I still believe that you should open another thread for the "project oriented eLua" idea if you want to discuss that with the community.

>> On Mon, May 9, 2011 at 10:10 AM, Mike King <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> > I want to open this up for general discussion.  Both Bogdanm and I
>> > feel that IDE project files should not be in the same directory as the
>> > source code.  I've suggested to create a directory at the root of the
>> > source tree possibly named "build".  I think it is more important to
>> > document how to build elua's supporting utilities then it is to have
>> > the project files.  Does anyone have some thoughts on the matter?
>> >
>> > Original thread
>> > https://github.com/elua/elua/pull/3
Mauricio Henrique Bomfim Mauricio Henrique Bomfim

Re: IDE project files

On Mon, May 9, 2011 at 2:11 PM, Bogdan Marinescu
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Mon, May 9, 2011 at 7:48 PM, Mauricio Henrique Bomfim
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> On Mon, May 9, 2011 at 11:27 AM, Bogdan Marinescu
>> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> > Hi,

>> > I believe your proporsal and Mike's are quite different conceptually,
>> > although they might have some common parts. Consequently, please open
>> > another for your project based eLua idea and let's focus on a build
>> > system
>> > structure for "external" components (such as the RFS server and the
>> > serial
>> > multiplexer) on this one.
>>
>> But, in fact, this issue is more about project based organization than
>> build system for "external" components. Is it not the case to open
>> another issue for the later?
>
> This issue originated from a pull request which added support for building
> our RFS server and multiplexer with VS 2010 and now we're discussing how to
> extend this further, so it is in fact about a build system for external
> components. It doesn't try to change the way eLua is structured, just to add
> some IDE support for our tools. In other words, it's definitely not about
> how the whole eLua should be "project based". So I still believe that you
> should open another thread for the "project oriented eLua" idea if you want
> to discuss that with the community.

Sorry for the confusion. Now I understand you first recommendation. I
thought you was talking about the issue (on issue tracker), but in
fact it was about the thread.

My apologies.

[]s

Mauricio

> Best,
> Bogdan

sweetlilmre sweetlilmre

Re: IDE project files

Hi,

What I have done, as a temporary measure, is to move the project files into a "build" sub directory of the mux and rfs_server directories. With VS (unless I alter the projects) it is not a good idea to put multiple projects in one directory due to conflicts with the intermediate files generated during the build.
This is the layout:

elua
--> mux
------> build
----------> mux.vcxproj etc.
--> rfs_server
------> build
----------> rfs_server.vcxproj etc.

As it is specifically only these two project affected I think this works fairly well.
Other compiler projects could be located in the build directory as well: making this fairly neat.
I also changed the vs projects to output their respective exe's to the root folder as per the .py and .lua scripts.

If this is acceptable I will send a pull request?
-(e)