Finally! A small-footprint text editor written in Lua

Martin Guy Martin Guy

Finally! A small-footprint text editor written in Lua

The good news: I've written a small, simple-to-use, powerful text
editor in Lua than runs fine in eLua.
The bad news: it's ED, the standard Unix command-line text editor from
the 1970s. :)
https://github.com/martinwguy/lua-ed

Quickstart for MMCFS-enabled boards:
- copy the *.lua files to the root of an SD-card
- start eLua
> require "ed"
> ed "/mmc/foo.lua"
/mmc/foo.lua: No such file or directory
*a
print "Foo!"
.
*w
*q
> dofile "/mmc/foo.lua"
Foo!

Suggestions for more idiomatic Lua style would be welcome, for better
module-building primities.
Oh, and bugs and fixes of course

Enjoy!

Re: Finally! A small-footprint text editor written in Lua

Very cool :-)

I think I had joked either on the list here or with Bogdan or Dado
about doing an ed implementation at some point, since it should be
quite tiny.  I see from your docs it passes the GNU ed test suite and
it has search and replace!

For those unfamiliar with ed:
http://www.gnu.org/fun/jokes/ed.msg.html

And now I'll actually have to learn the commands for it since I'll
have to admit my interactions with ed have pretty much gone along the
lines of the above link's "typical novice's session with the mighty
ed"

-jsnyder

On Tue, Apr 12, 2011 at 9:37 PM, Martin Guy <[hidden email]> wrote:
The good news: I've written a small, simple-to-use, powerful text
editor in Lua than runs fine in eLua.
The bad news: it's ED, the standard Unix command-line text editor from
the 1970s. :)
https://github.com/martinwguy/lua-ed

You, sir, are my new hero. This is the stuff "cool" is made of. Many thanks! We have to link this from our wiki.

Sergio Sorrenti Sergio Sorrenti

Martin Guy Martin Guy

On 12 April 2011 21:26, James Snyder <[hidden email]> wrote:
> it has search and replace!

...using Lua patterns, exactly those used by string.gsub(), as
powerful as standard regex but with a slightly different syntax.
So it also encourages you to learn Lua patterns in detail...

Jonathan Hill Jonathan Hill

Re: Finally! A small-footprint text editor written in Lua

Thank you Martin. Thank you for not throwing together "yet another text
editor," with an entirely new set of quirky commands.  Also, thank you
so much for not picking teco .  BTW, somehow I inherited Unix manuals
from 1982 and 1989 and haven't managed to throw them out yet. :-)

Jonathan