Evalbot, Elua, and Ctarded

Osgeld Osgeld

Evalbot, Elua, and Ctarded

I have asked a little bit about how to bind elua to a platform, I have sat down and studied it and every block I seem to get more and more lost

What I want to do is get elua working with all the junk TI included with the evalbot, much like other TI boards there are libraries written for the peripherals, and elua already runs fine with the LM3S9B92 core.

So is anyone willing to hold my hand, remember I am c-tarded, and help me get the libraries working with elua for the dac, the rit screen, sd card, motor controllers etc?

thanks
Osgeld Osgeld

Re: Evalbot, Elua, and Ctarded

Thanks guys

Re: Evalbot, Elua, and Ctarded

Hi,

On Fri, Aug 26, 2011 at 8:08 PM, Osgeld <[hidden email]> wrote:
Thanks guys

:) Most of us are on vacation (me included), this is most likely why you're not getting any replies. In any case, this isn't trivial. If you're not good with C it's not going to be easy to make an Evalbot port. I suggest you start from the 3S9B92 port and make friends with some good C programmers :)

Re: Evalbot, Elua, and Ctarded

On Mon, Aug 15, 2011 at 11:22 AM, Osgeld <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I have asked a little bit about how to bind elua to a platform, I have sat
> down and studied it and every block I seem to get more and more lost
>
> What I want to do is get elua working with all the junk TI included with the
> evalbot, much like other TI boards there are libraries written for the
> peripherals, and elua already runs fine with the LM3S9B92 core.

Yep. It runs quite well on 9B92, supporting all the periphs that we
already already support on LM3S.

> So is anyone willing to hold my hand, remember I am c-tarded, and help me
> get the libraries working with elua for the dac, the rit screen, sd card,
> motor controllers etc?

I can try and answer questions.
> dac
We don't yet have a DAC module for eLua, though it wouldn't be too
hard to implement at least something that would set values on the DAC
with a command from eLua.

> rit screen
We support an OLED display found on some of the other eval boards,
it's connected to an SPI peripheral on those.  It looks like its a
different display than the one on some of the other kits where we've
supported the display since it's 96x16 as opposed to 128x64.  I
suspect it won't be hard to get going though.

> sd card
If this is connected to an SPI line as with some of the other LM3S
eval boards, it should be pretty straightforward to get running.  As
with the simplest case for the display, this may require a little
modification to get things working.  Going from just looking at the
schematic, it looks like it uses SSI0, so I think we'd just need to
enable the options for this particular board for this to work.

> motor controllers
This depends on how these are set up and whether they're using a
peripheral we already support or not. If they're on PWM, that might be
fairly easy.  If they're using encoder interfaces, we haven't added
support for that peripheral yet. Again, a quick look at the schematic
suggests that they're using PWM0 and PWM1 to drive the motors. I'd
have to look a little deeper at the motor driver to know whether that
will be usable out of the box or not.

I'm a little busy trying to wrap up some stuff at the moment, but I
can try helping to make some of the adjustments for things we already
support, and make some recommendations for how one might get the other
functionality going.  Certainly with the DAC, some C code will need
writing :-)

I would suggest maybe either starting with a stock image for the
EK-LM3S9B92 board to experiment with (SD card is off for this one, as
is display). If they provide some sort of virtual UART functionality
through another chip you should be able to get the eLua console up.
We could work our way from there.

> thanks

Osgeld Osgeld

Re: Evalbot, Elua, and Ctarded

Thanks for your reply. I will get back on this shortly but I also have
something on my plate that has popped up tween now and when I sent the
original Email.

DAC, Audio and Wave functionality all have libraries

So Does the RIT screen, and yes its different 96x16x1

Yes the SD is on one of the SPI ports, I am not that worried about it
right now as there does not appear to be much FS support ATM

Yes the motor controllers are PWM, but there is also a phase input for
the motor drivers. though again there are libs for that already in the
software package.

So really everything is there and functioning, its just not bound up to
Elua. I am just not following the process cuase its hard to see what all
is being done when there are multiple boards, and I have no idea what I
am doing. Especially In C!