ET-STM32 program via TTL (or suggest me a USB to serial converter cable)

Bryan Laur Bryan Laur

ET-STM32 program via TTL (or suggest me a USB to serial converter cable)

Hey guys,

I am interested in using eLua on the ET-STM32 module.

I, however, am sick of using these profolic usb serial cables. I can never get them to work right.

I am wondering whether it is possible to interface with it's bootloader using a module such as this:
http://cgi.ebay.com/USB-TTL-Converter-Module-buildin-in-CP2102-/160553632013?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2561be010d

My guess is yes, but I would like to confirm this before I make my purchase.

Alternatively, you could suggest me a (cheap) usb to serial cable that doesn't use a profolic chipset.

Thanks.

Re: ET-STM32 program via TTL (or suggest me a USB to serial converter cable)

Hi,

On Tue, Mar 8, 2011 at 5:47 PM, Bryan Laur <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hey guys,
>
> I am interested in using eLua on the ET-STM32 module.
>
> I, however, am sick of using these profolic usb serial cables. I can never
> get them to work right.

Interesting, I have one and works very well.

> I am wondering whether it is possible to interface with it's bootloader
> using a module such as this:
> http://cgi.ebay.com/USB-TTL-Converter-Module-buildin-in-CP2102-/160553632013?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2561be010d
>

> My guess is yes, but I would like to confirm this before I make my purchase.

In theory, yes. Plus the CP2102 is a good chip from what I know.

Bryan Laur Bryan Laur

Re: ET-STM32 program via TTL (or suggest me a USB to serial converter cable)

Sorry, I should've been more explicit.
You've probably already answered my question, but I'd like to make sure I got all the ducks in the row.

The module I suggested is a TTL module, and therefore would not be plugged into the serial interface on the chip.

To use this, I would simply attach the correct pins on the TTL module to the correct pins the STM32 module, correct?

There is no circuitry related to the TTL to RS232 chip that is required, correct?

On Tue, Mar 8, 2011 at 10:53 AM, Bogdan Marinescu <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi,

On Tue, Mar 8, 2011 at 5:47 PM, Bryan Laur <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hey guys,
>
> I am interested in using eLua on the ET-STM32 module.
>
> I, however, am sick of using these profolic usb serial cables. I can never
> get them to work right.

Interesting, I have one and works very well.

> I am wondering whether it is possible to interface with it's bootloader
> using a module such as this:
> http://cgi.ebay.com/USB-TTL-Converter-Module-buildin-in-CP2102-/160553632013?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2561be010d
>

> My guess is yes, but I would like to confirm this before I make my purchase.

In theory, yes. Plus the CP2102 is a good chip from what I know.

Bryan Laur Bryan Laur

Re: ET-STM32 program via TTL (or suggest me a USB to serial converter cable)

Sorry, below should read.

"The module I suggested is a TTL module, and therefore would not be plugged into the serial interface on the <s>chip.</s> PCB."

I am not used to not having an "edit" button =)

On Tue, Mar 8, 2011 at 10:58 AM, Bryan Laur <[hidden email]> wrote:
Sorry, I should've been more explicit.
You've probably already answered my question, but I'd like to make sure I got all the ducks in the row.

The module I suggested is a TTL module, and therefore would not be plugged into the serial interface on the chip.

To use this, I would simply attach the correct pins on the TTL module to the correct pins the STM32 module, correct?

There is no circuitry related to the TTL to RS232 chip that is required, correct?

On Tue, Mar 8, 2011 at 10:53 AM, Bogdan Marinescu <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi,

On Tue, Mar 8, 2011 at 5:47 PM, Bryan Laur <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hey guys,
>
> I am interested in using eLua on the ET-STM32 module.
>
> I, however, am sick of using these profolic usb serial cables. I can never
> get them to work right.

Interesting, I have one and works very well.

> I am wondering whether it is possible to interface with it's bootloader
> using a module such as this:
> http://cgi.ebay.com/USB-TTL-Converter-Module-buildin-in-CP2102-/160553632013?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2561be010d
>

> My guess is yes, but I would like to confirm this before I make my purchase.

In theory, yes. Plus the CP2102 is a good chip from what I know.

Tim Michals Tim Michals

Re: ET-STM32 program via TTL (or suggest me a USB to serial converter cable)

http://dangerousprototypes.com/docs/MCP2200_breakout_board <-- this one does not need a driver (I have not tried it)
http://www.sparkfun.com/products/9716 <-- these are FTDI based so... maybe the same issue I use this one on Linux no issue what so ever...
http://www.sparkfun.com/products/9873 <-- FTDI based...

"The module I suggested is a TTL module, and therefore would not be plugged into the serial interface on the <s>chip.</s> PCB."

I am not used to not having an "edit" button =)

On Tue, Mar 8, 2011 at 10:58 AM, Bryan Laur <[hidden email]> wrote:
Sorry, I should've been more explicit.
You've probably already answered my question, but I'd like to make sure I got all the ducks in the row.

The module I suggested is a TTL module, and therefore would not be plugged into the serial interface on the chip.

To use this, I would simply attach the correct pins on the TTL module to the correct pins the STM32 module, correct?

There is no circuitry related to the TTL to RS232 chip that is required, correct?

On Tue, Mar 8, 2011 at 10:53 AM, Bogdan Marinescu <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi,

On Tue, Mar 8, 2011 at 5:47 PM, Bryan Laur <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hey guys,
>
> I am interested in using eLua on the ET-STM32 module.
>
> I, however, am sick of using these profolic usb serial cables. I can never
> get them to work right.

Interesting, I have one and works very well.

> I am wondering whether it is possible to interface with it's bootloader
> using a module such as this:
> http://cgi.ebay.com/USB-TTL-Converter-Module-buildin-in-CP2102-/160553632013?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2561be010d
>

> My guess is yes, but I would like to confirm this before I make my purchase.

In theory, yes. Plus the CP2102 is a good chip from what I know.

Re: ET-STM32 program via TTL (or suggest me a USB to serial converter cable)

If you have TTL level serial interfacing with that module, yeah, you
can just connect to the TX/RX pins which are PA9 and PA10.  Most of
the GPIO on that chip are 5 volts tolerant.  I use mine with one of
FTDI's cables (a 5V one and then I use an LDO voltage regulator to get
3.3V out of it):
http://www.ftdichip.com/Products/Cables/USBTTLSerial.htm

They also have 3.3V ones though.  You can find them various places I
think, including DigiKey if I recall correctly.  Just make sure when
you wire them that the converter chip's TX goes to the STM32's RX, and
the STM32's TX goes to the converter chip's RX, and you should be good
to go.  These and similar break out boards or cables also provide
power in the same cable/device which is also convenient.

On Tue, Mar 8, 2011 at 9:58 AM, Bryan Laur <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Sorry, I should've been more explicit.
> You've probably already answered my question, but I'd like to make sure I
> got all the ducks in the row.
>
> The module I suggested is a TTL module, and therefore would not be plugged
> into the serial interface on the chip.
>
> To use this, I would simply attach the correct pins on the TTL module to the
> correct pins the STM32 module, correct?
>
> There is no circuitry related to the TTL to RS232 chip that is required,
> correct?
>

> On Tue, Mar 8, 2011 at 10:53 AM, Bogdan Marinescu
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Hi,
>>
>> On Tue, Mar 8, 2011 at 5:47 PM, Bryan Laur <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> > Hey guys,
>> >
>> > I am interested in using eLua on the ET-STM32 module.
>> >
>> > I, however, am sick of using these profolic usb serial cables. I can
>> > never
>> > get them to work right.
>>
>> Interesting, I have one and works very well.
>>
>> > I am wondering whether it is possible to interface with it's bootloader
>> > using a module such as this:
>> >
>> > http://cgi.ebay.com/USB-TTL-Converter-Module-buildin-in-CP2102-/160553632013?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2561be010d
>> >

>> > My guess is yes, but I would like to confirm this before I make my
>> > purchase.
>>
>> In theory, yes. Plus the CP2102 is a good chip from what I know.
>>
>> Best,
>> Bogdan

PGP: http://fanplastic.org/key.txt
Phone: (847) 448-0386
Bryan Laur Bryan Laur

Re: ET-STM32 program via TTL (or suggest me a USB to serial converter cable)

Thanks. Thats exactly what I wanted to hear =)

On Tue, Mar 8, 2011 at 10:37 PM, James Snyder <[hidden email]> wrote:
> If you have TTL level serial interfacing with that module, yeah, you
> can just connect to the TX/RX pins which are PA9 and PA10.  Most of

... that said, if you're using the ET-STM32 board you might have an
electrical problem since the ET-STM32 already has a RS232 to UART
level converter connected on the UART1 pins and this converter forces
the RX pin level to 0V (idle) when there isn't anything connected to
the UART1 using the cable supplied with the ET-STM32. I'd connect the
other converter with a resistor on the RX pin to avoid potential
problems with two different circuits driving the same pin. This
problem might be more theoretical than practical but I'd still take it
into account.

> On Tue, Mar 8, 2011 at 9:58 AM, Bryan Laur <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Sorry, I should've been more explicit.
>> You've probably already answered my question, but I'd like to make sure I
>> got all the ducks in the row.
>>
>> The module I suggested is a TTL module, and therefore would not be plugged
>> into the serial interface on the chip.
>>
>> To use this, I would simply attach the correct pins on the TTL module to the
>> correct pins the STM32 module, correct?
>>
>> There is no circuitry related to the TTL to RS232 chip that is required,
>> correct?
>>

>> On Tue, Mar 8, 2011 at 10:53 AM, Bogdan Marinescu
>> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi,

>>> Interesting, I have one and works very well.

>>> In theory, yes. Plus the CP2102 is a good chip from what I know.
>>>
>>> Best,
>>> Bogdan
>>

> --
> James Snyder
> Biomedical Engineering
> Northwestern University
> [hidden email]
> PGP: http://fanplastic.org/key.txt
> Phone: (847) 448-0386

Re: ET-STM32 program via TTL (or suggest me a USB to serial converter cable)

This is actually a good point.  I haven't had any major problems with
this during usage over the course of a few months, but this may vary
with some other USB->Serial devices.  Of course, one way to avoid all
of this is to just use another UART on the board.  One other thing
I'll add however is that the ICL3232 on the board does have a current
limiting 100 Ohm resistor (R4) between the MCU's RX pin and the
receiver output pin on the RS-323 level shifter, so I would expect
this would be why I've had things behave as stably as they have. You
could increase the resistance of R4 to maybe be a little more certain
that the driver isn't going to be sinking too much current, but I
don't think I'll bother since it's an SMT resistor. I'll check the
next time I'm working on a device with this configuration to see how
much that line is getting pulled down by the driver.

On Tue, Mar 8, 2011 at 3:56 PM, Bogdan Marinescu
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Tue, Mar 8, 2011 at 10:37 PM, James Snyder <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> If you have TTL level serial interfacing with that module, yeah, you
>> can just connect to the TX/RX pins which are PA9 and PA10.  Most of
>
> ... that said, if you're using the ET-STM32 board you might have an
> electrical problem since the ET-STM32 already has a RS232 to UART
> level converter connected on the UART1 pins and this converter forces
> the RX pin level to 0V (idle) when there isn't anything connected to
> the UART1 using the cable supplied with the ET-STM32. I'd connect the
> other converter with a resistor on the RX pin to avoid potential
> problems with two different circuits driving the same pin. This
> problem might be more theoretical than practical but I'd still take it
> into account.

Just to clarify do you mean the STM

> Best,
> Bogdan
>
>> On Tue, Mar 8, 2011 at 9:58 AM, Bryan Laur <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>> Sorry, I should've been more explicit.
>>> You've probably already answered my question, but I'd like to make sure I
>>> got all the ducks in the row.
>>>
>>> The module I suggested is a TTL module, and therefore would not be plugged
>>> into the serial interface on the chip.
>>>
>>> To use this, I would simply attach the correct pins on the TTL module to the
>>> correct pins the STM32 module, correct?
>>>
>>> There is no circuitry related to the TTL to RS232 chip that is required,
>>> correct?

>> --
>> James Snyder
>> Biomedical Engineering
>> Northwestern University
>> [hidden email]
>> PGP: http://fanplastic.org/key.txt
>> Phone: (847) 448-0386

PGP: http://fanplastic.org/key.txt
Phone: (847) 448-0386
Ronan Paixão-2 Ronan Paixão-2

Re: ET-STM32 program via TTL (or suggest me a USB to serial converter cable)

I have the ET-STM32 stamp, but I use the cable supplied by the manufacturer with the usual interface (through the RS-232 chip). I can't really find where I got my USB-serial cable, but I have some tips about the Prolific ones. I have dealt with some of those cables, specially some of those small semi-transparent blue ones that look very cheap. If you don't want trouble don't buy those. As legend tells, those are not original prolific chips, but cheap copies. The legend also says that Prolific is aware of those copies and so they have altered the driver to not work with them. For those occasions when I have to deal with them, I have an older driver, version 1013, which works with them. The filename is PL2303_Prolific_GPS_AllInOne_1013.exe, which can be found around the net, but I can't remember where I downloaded mine from.

Ronan

<[hidden email]> wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 8, 2011 at 10:37 PM, James Snyder <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> If you have TTL level serial interfacing with that module, yeah, you
>> can just connect to the TX/RX pins which are PA9 and PA10.  Most of
>
> ... that said, if you're using the ET-STM32 board you might have an
> electrical problem since the ET-STM32 already has a RS232 to UART
> level converter connected on the UART1 pins and this converter forces
> the RX pin level to 0V (idle) when there isn't anything connected to
> the UART1 using the cable supplied with the ET-STM32. I'd connect the
> other converter with a resistor on the RX pin to avoid potential
> problems with two different circuits driving the same pin. This
> problem might be more theoretical than practical but I'd still take it
> into account.

Just to clarify do you mean the STM

> Best,
> Bogdan
>
>> On Tue, Mar 8, 2011 at 9:58 AM, Bryan Laur <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>> Sorry, I should've been more explicit.
>>> You've probably already answered my question, but I'd like to make sure I
>>> got all the ducks in the row.
>>>
>>> The module I suggested is a TTL module, and therefore would not be plugged
>>> into the serial interface on the chip.
>>>
>>> To use this, I would simply attach the correct pins on the TTL module to the
>>> correct pins the STM32 module, correct?
>>>
>>> There is no circuitry related to the TTL to RS232 chip that is required,
>>> correct?

>> --
>> James Snyder
>> Biomedical Engineering
>> Northwestern University
>> [hidden email]
>> PGP: http://fanplastic.org/key.txt
>> Phone: (847) 448-0386

PGP: http://fanplastic.org/key.txt
Phone: (847) 448-0386
Bryan Laur Bryan Laur

Re: ET-STM32 program via TTL (or suggest me a USB to serial converter cable)

I might have to try that.

Mine currently shows up as a HID device..
I am really not sure it was ever supposed to work.

On Wed, Mar 9, 2011 at 2:57 AM, James Snyder <[hidden email]> wrote:
> This is actually a good point.  I haven't had any major problems with
> this during usage over the course of a few months, but this may vary
> with some other USB->Serial devices.  Of course, one way to avoid all
> of this is to just use another UART on the board.  One other thing
> I'll add however is that the ICL3232 on the board does have a current
> limiting 100 Ohm resistor (R4) between the MCU's RX pin and the
> receiver output pin on the RS-323 level shifter, so I would expect
> this would be why I've had things behave as stably as they have.

Ah, indeed, I didn't know that. It should be safe then. It would be
even safer to use another UART, as you suggested :)

> On Tue, Mar 8, 2011 at 3:56 PM, Bogdan Marinescu
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> On Tue, Mar 8, 2011 at 10:37 PM, James Snyder <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>> If you have TTL level serial interfacing with that module, yeah, you
>>> can just connect to the TX/RX pins which are PA9 and PA10.  Most of
>>
>> ... that said, if you're using the ET-STM32 board you might have an
>> electrical problem since the ET-STM32 already has a RS232 to UART
>> level converter connected on the UART1 pins and this converter forces
>> the RX pin level to 0V (idle) when there isn't anything connected to
>> the UART1 using the cable supplied with the ET-STM32. I'd connect the
>> other converter with a resistor on the RX pin to avoid potential
>> problems with two different circuits driving the same pin. This
>> problem might be more theoretical than practical but I'd still take it
>> into account.
>
> Just to clarify do you mean the STM
>

>> Best,
>> Bogdan

>>> --
>>> James Snyder
>>> Biomedical Engineering
>>> Northwestern University
>>> [hidden email]
>>> PGP: http://fanplastic.org/key.txt
>>> Phone: (847) 448-0386
>>

> --
> James Snyder
> Biomedical Engineering
> Northwestern University
> [hidden email]
> PGP: http://fanplastic.org/key.txt
> Phone: (847) 448-0386

Ronan Paixão-2 Ronan Paixão-2

Re: ET-STM32 program via TTL (or suggest me a USB to serial converter cable)

It might be safer to use another UART after installing eLua, but the built-in bootloader only works on UART0.

2011/3/9 Bogdan Marinescu <[hidden email]>
On Wed, Mar 9, 2011 at 2:57 AM, James Snyder <[hidden email]> wrote:
> This is actually a good point.  I haven't had any major problems with
> this during usage over the course of a few months, but this may vary
> with some other USB->Serial devices.  Of course, one way to avoid all
> of this is to just use another UART on the board.  One other thing
> I'll add however is that the ICL3232 on the board does have a current
> limiting 100 Ohm resistor (R4) between the MCU's RX pin and the
> receiver output pin on the RS-323 level shifter, so I would expect
> this would be why I've had things behave as stably as they have.

Ah, indeed, I didn't know that. It should be safe then. It would be
even safer to use another UART, as you suggested :)

> On Tue, Mar 8, 2011 at 3:56 PM, Bogdan Marinescu
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> On Tue, Mar 8, 2011 at 10:37 PM, James Snyder <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>> If you have TTL level serial interfacing with that module, yeah, you
>>> can just connect to the TX/RX pins which are PA9 and PA10.  Most of
>>
>> ... that said, if you're using the ET-STM32 board you might have an
>> electrical problem since the ET-STM32 already has a RS232 to UART
>> level converter connected on the UART1 pins and this converter forces
>> the RX pin level to 0V (idle) when there isn't anything connected to
>> the UART1 using the cable supplied with the ET-STM32. I'd connect the
>> other converter with a resistor on the RX pin to avoid potential
>> problems with two different circuits driving the same pin. This
>> problem might be more theoretical than practical but I'd still take it
>> into account.
>
> Just to clarify do you mean the STM
>

>> Best,
>> Bogdan

>>> --
>>> James Snyder
>>> Biomedical Engineering
>>> Northwestern University
>>> [hidden email]
>>> PGP: http://fanplastic.org/key.txt
>>> Phone: (847) 448-0386
>>

> --
> James Snyder
> Biomedical Engineering
> Northwestern University
> [hidden email]
> PGP: http://fanplastic.org/key.txt
> Phone: (847) 448-0386

Jason Neudorf Jason Neudorf

Re: ET-STM32 program via TTL (or suggest me a USB to serial converter cable)

As one other alternative, you can breadboard the ET-STM32 to a DLP-USB1232H (available from Digikey in North America, about $30) to program using the JTAG port and OpenOCD.  In this case, you also need a 3.3V regulator to power the ET-STM32.   I was able to program it using the following OpenOCD script after hooking about 6 wires up. Credits to Uwe Hermann.  Using the serial bootloader is much simpler, but this gives the possibility of using gdb:

ET STAMP->DLP-USB1232
A14 -> 18 TCK
A15 -> 16 TDI
B3 -> 2 TDO
A13 -> 5 TMS
B4 -> 17 GPIOL0/TRST
RST -> 13 GPIOL2

Open OCD Script:
interface ft2232
ft2232_device_desc "DLP-USB1232H A"
ft2232_layout "usbjtag"
ft2232_vid_pid 0x0403 0x6010

source [find target/stm32.cfg]

init
reset halt
flash write_image erase elua_lua_stm32f103re.elf
shutdown

Jason Neudorf Jason Neudorf

Re: ET-STM32 program via TTL (or suggest me a USB to serial converter cable)

Hmm: sorry, the DLP-USB1232H is an FTDI chip -- the hated prolific chipset.

cbayona cbayona

Re: ET-STM32 program via TTL (or suggest me a USB to serial converter cable)

Other chipsets have a lot of problems because rather than get their
own enumeration which cost money the different vendors use the same
public enumerations so the software gets confused when you have
several similar devices.

I work with several CPUs and  several of their JTAG or programmer
devises use the same chips so Windows gets all confused, I ended
having to resort  to have different CPU chips in different PCs.

At 09:17 AM 3/9/2011, you wrote:
>Hmm: sorry, the DLP-USB1232H is an FTDI chip -- the hated prolific chipset.

Cecil
K5NWA
<  www.softrockradio.org  > <  http://thepartsplace.k5nwa.com/  >
<  http://parts.softrockradio.org/  >

When life gives you lemons, you'd better wait for it to give you some
sugar first or else you'll have some really nasty-tasting lemonade.

Bryan Laur Bryan Laur

Re: ET-STM32 program via TTL (or suggest me a USB to serial converter cable)

Just to be clear, what's the worst thing that could happen?

I am trying to tell if by "safer" you mean "more stable".
Or are you suggesting that it could be possible to damage something in this manner?

Sorry if this is a dumb question, but I'd rather be safe than sorry.

Thanks

2011/3/9 Ronan Paixão <[hidden email]>
It might be safer to use another UART after installing eLua, but the built-in bootloader only works on UART0.

2011/3/9 Bogdan Marinescu <[hidden email]>

On Wed, Mar 9, 2011 at 2:57 AM, James Snyder <[hidden email]> wrote:
> This is actually a good point.  I haven't had any major problems with
> this during usage over the course of a few months, but this may vary
> with some other USB->Serial devices.  Of course, one way to avoid all
> of this is to just use another UART on the board.  One other thing
> I'll add however is that the ICL3232 on the board does have a current
> limiting 100 Ohm resistor (R4) between the MCU's RX pin and the
> receiver output pin on the RS-323 level shifter, so I would expect
> this would be why I've had things behave as stably as they have.

Ah, indeed, I didn't know that. It should be safe then. It would be
even safer to use another UART, as you suggested :)

> On Tue, Mar 8, 2011 at 3:56 PM, Bogdan Marinescu
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> On Tue, Mar 8, 2011 at 10:37 PM, James Snyder <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>> If you have TTL level serial interfacing with that module, yeah, you
>>> can just connect to the TX/RX pins which are PA9 and PA10.  Most of
>>
>> ... that said, if you're using the ET-STM32 board you might have an
>> electrical problem since the ET-STM32 already has a RS232 to UART
>> level converter connected on the UART1 pins and this converter forces
>> the RX pin level to 0V (idle) when there isn't anything connected to
>> the UART1 using the cable supplied with the ET-STM32. I'd connect the
>> other converter with a resistor on the RX pin to avoid potential
>> problems with two different circuits driving the same pin. This
>> problem might be more theoretical than practical but I'd still take it
>> into account.
>
> Just to clarify do you mean the STM
>

>> Best,
>> Bogdan

>>> --
>>> James Snyder
>>> Biomedical Engineering
>>> Northwestern University
>>> [hidden email]
>>> PGP: http://fanplastic.org/key.txt
>>> Phone: (847) 448-0386
>>

> --
> James Snyder
> Biomedical Engineering
> Northwestern University
> [hidden email]
> PGP: http://fanplastic.org/key.txt
> Phone: (847) 448-0386

Ronan Paixão-2 Ronan Paixão-2

Re: ET-STM32 program via TTL (or suggest me a USB to serial converter cable)

Actually, it's not. FTDI and Prolific are completely differente companies, even though they manufacture chips with the same functionality, those chips are not the same.

2011/3/9 Jason Neudorf <[hidden email]>
Hmm: sorry, the DLP-USB1232H is an FTDI chip -- the hated prolific chipset.

Ronan Paixão-2 Ronan Paixão-2

Re: ET-STM32 program via TTL (or suggest me a USB to serial converter cable)

I have no such problem. Most JTAGs that use the same chip use the FT2232 one, and even then most customize at least the device's PID (yes, some use FTDI's VID, but FTDI assigns PIDs to some vendors, so they don't use the same PID). To that end, at least OpenOCD checks VID/PID/Description for a match, before actually using the device.

Also, normal serial programmers do come with the same VID/PID, but usually they also have a different serial number. Since the serial number differs, the driver recognizes that it's a different device and assigns a different COM port.

The only problem I find with those serial programmers is that if I connect them to a different USB port in my laptop, the system assigns a different COM port, so I either have to connect them always in the same USB port or I have to reconfigure the loader program each time I change it.

So far I've seen no such problem with the JTAG adapters, since they are accessed with either the FT2XX driver or the libusb one, not with FTDI's Virtual Com Port driver.

Ronan

At 09:17 AM 3/9/2011, you wrote:
Hmm: sorry, the DLP-USB1232H is an FTDI chip -- the hated prolific chipset.

Cecil
K5NWA
<  www.softrockradio.org  > <  http://thepartsplace.k5nwa.com/  >
<  http://parts.softrockradio.org/  >

When life gives you lemons, you'd better wait for it to give you some sugar first or else you'll have some really nasty-tasting lemonade.

Re: ET-STM32 program via TTL (or suggest me a USB to serial converter cable)

Some could disagree, but I believe the consensus is that since there's
a 100 Ohm resistor there you're probably not going to short or burn
out anything by using a TTL adapter on USART1 (in eLua UART 0).
Judging from the datasheet what the chip tries to do in the state
where nothing is connected to the input pins is hold that line low, so
as long as you don't connect something to the original UART connector,
I believe you don't get undefined behavior, so it generally should
continue to work.  I suspect the worst case scenario is more along the
lines of stability rather than safety.  I've successfully flashed this
thing using the bootloader in this configuration dozens of times, and
I don't believe I've had issues related to this in general UART
operation over the course of months of on and off usage.  It's also
probably been powered on for at least a hundred hours or so in this
configuration.

I'm pretty comfortable with the following simplification:
Don't use this configuration for some application that you're going to
box up and deploy, but for tinkering it's probably fine.

Also, I'm not 100% sure, but in looking up the bootloader protocol it
sounds like it listens on all of the USARTS so aside from minor
reconfiguration of the eLua build it may also be not too painful to
use another serial peripheral.

I'm going to take some measurements this afternoon of the RX line to
see if the ICL3232 is sucking up any current on my setup.  I'll share
my observations.

-jsnyder