[ANN] eLua v0.8 released

We are proud to annunce the release of eLua v0.8

eLua is an effort to expand the presence of the Lua programming language in the embedded world, especially on microcontroller-based platforms. It is meant to be a complete MCU development environment. It currently runs on a number of ARM variants (including Cortex-M3), AVR32 (and i386 as a proof of concept).

The main changes from v0.7 are:
  * Added the RFS (Remote File System), a new file system which allows sharing
    a directory on the PC with the eLua board.
  * Added a serial multiplexer which allows using more virtual serial ports over a single
    physical UART connection.
  * Added Lua and C interrupt handlers support.
  * Added linenoise support (eLua and Lua shell command line history and navigation)
  * Added generic I2C support and docs
  * Added hardware flow control and runtime configurable buffers for UARTs.
  * Added support for new boards: mbed, EVK-1101, Mizar32, EK-LM3S1968
  * Added SPI and SD/MMC support for EVK1100 and EVK1101 (AVR32)
  * Added I2C support for STR-E912 (STR912)
  * Added support for require() and autorun from SD/MMC
  * Added external memory support for STR912
  * Added long filename support for SD/MMC
  * Added version() function to elua module
  * Added RTC (real time clock) platform specific support for str9
  * Added support for AsciiDoc in the doc builder
  * Tutorials and new projects added to the eLua User Labs wiki
  * Demo files were moved out of the distro to http://wiki.eluaproject.net/Projects
  * Added a 'media' page with eLua related media on the project site

The main eLua resources are:
  * Main site:         http://www.eluaproject.net
  * eLua wiki:        http://wiki.eluaproject.net
  * Web builder:   http://builder.eluaproject.net
  * Issue tracker:  http://tracker.eluaproject.net
  * Other:             http://www.eluaproject.net/en_comunity.html

Enjoy eLua!

Bogdan Marinescu
Dado Sutter

John Hind John Hind

Re: [ANN] eLua v0.8 released

Congratulations and thanks for all the hard work! (Sound of virtual Champaign cork popping!)

Sorry for distracting you at this time with my Multitasking noise - would have postponed starting this if I'd realised how close you were to this release (my timing was always terrible!). I'll keep quiet about it for a few days to let you have a rest.

Looking forward to trying it on my mbed.

On Wed, Feb 2, 2011 at 7:14 PM, John Hind <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Congratulations and thanks for all the hard work! (Sound of virtual
> Champaign cork popping!)

Thank you John! I'm going to get sooooo drunk. Not necessarily
"virtual drunk" though :)

> Sorry for distracting you at this time with my Multitasking noise - would
> have postponed starting this if I'd realised how close you were to this
> release (my timing was always terrible!). I'll keep quiet about it for a few
> days to let you have a rest.

Don't worry! Preparing a release is a fairly boring process (at least
for me) so that was like a breath of fresh air :) And anyway you
couldn't have known that we're working on a new release.

> Looking forward to trying it on my mbed.

... yeah, that's we forgot: a page about how to program and use eLua
on the mbed :) Thanks for reminding me. We'll probably add it to the
main site soon.

Re: [ANN] eLua v0.8 released

On Wed, Feb 2, 2011 at 15:14, John Hind <[hidden email]> wrote:

Congratulations and thanks for all the hard work! (Sound of virtual Champaign cork popping!)

Thank you very much, you and everyone here that makes it possible for us to make eLua grow and shine.
(and for the soundtrack too :)

Sorry for distracting you at this time with my Multitasking noise - would have postponed starting this if I'd realised how close you were to this release (my timing was always terrible!). I'll keep quiet about it for a few days to let you have a rest.

Not at all! The start of the brainstorm on it was very welcomed and also your work on the Tracker wiki (thanks again!)

Looking forward to trying it on my mbed.

Cool. Pls share the results (and excitement :)
Thiago Naves and Marcelo Politzer have been doing nice projects with the mbed too and they are all on our wiki

Yes. Again, we've started it hoping that someone would help before v0.8 but the page is there and it will soon be full of infos and tutorials too http://wiki.eluaproject.net/mbedLPC1768

Re: [ANN] eLua v0.8 released

On Wed, Feb 2, 2011 at 7:45 PM, Dado Sutter <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Wed, Feb 2, 2011 at 15:32, Bogdan Marinescu <[hidden email]>
> wrote:

>> > Looking forward to trying it on my mbed.
>>
>> ... yeah, that's we forgot: a page about how to program and use eLua
>> on the mbed :) Thanks for reminding me. We'll probably add it to the
>> main site soon.
>
> Yes. Again, we've started it hoping that someone would help before v0.8 but
> the page is there and it will soon be full of infos and tutorials too
> http://wiki.eluaproject.net/mbedLPC1768

I meant on the main project site, where all the other "using" pages
(still) exist. I'll try to write a short tutorial.

King, Mike King, Mike

Re: [ANN] eLua v0.8 released

Congrats on the new release!!!  I’m looking forward to eventually contributing some meaningful to the project.  I’m in the process of trying to convince my company to start using more powerful microcontrollers so eLua would be an option.  Many of our embedded projects use 8051 based micros.  It takes a long time to develop new products.

[...]

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: This e-mail message, including any attachments, is for the sole use of the intended recipient(s) and may contain information that is confidential or proprietary to K&L Microwave, Inc. Any unauthorized review, use, disclosure or distribution is prohibited. If this communication has been transmitted from a U.S. location it may also contain data subject to the International Traffic in Arms Regulations or U.S. Export Administration Regulations and, if so, cannot be disseminated, distributed or copied to foreign nationals, residing in the U.S. or abroad, without the prior approval of the U.S. Department of State or appropriate export licensing authority. If you have received this communication in error, please notify the sender by reply e-mail and delete or destroy all copies of this e-mail message and/or any file attachment(s).

Re: [ANN] eLua v0.8 released

On Wed, Feb 2, 2011 at 17:11, King, Mike <[hidden email]> wrote:

Congrats on the new release!!!

Thank you!

  I’m looking forward to eventually contributing some meaningful to the project.

You are already doing it Mike.

  I’m in the process of trying to convince my company to start using more powerful microcontrollers so eLua would be an option.  Many of our embedded projects use 8051 based micros.  It takes a long time to develop new products.

Very nice!
I hope you succeed and add your company name to http://wiki.eluaproject.net/Who%20is%20using soon too.