[ANN] eLua Web Buider

Hello guys,
   We're proud to announce a web service that builds eLua images ready to be flashed on supported platforms.
   This is a beta version and we count on the community to help us refine it.
   While we still don't have an IDE for eLua, this should help newcomers to quickly generate firmware images without the need to install any local toolchain.
   The generated images, together with some other info (build options used, error/warning reports, ...) are made available for download and are also stored in the user's area.
   Most of the current build and configuration options can be defined and stored as a named "build". Builds are automatically stored in the user's area and can be reused (for config variations and new builds).
   Users can upload and store files (Lua sources or compiled programs, modules, ...) in their user's areas too. These can be optionally included in each build by simply checking boxes on the build configuration.
   There are some "?" icons with help and instructions for each section. Please let us know if they are clear enough or send us new texts and we'll be glad to add it.
   We hope to find sometime to make a tutorial for the wiki too.
   The eLua version currently built by the Web Builder is v0.7, the latest officially released version. Again, if anybody needs a more recent (trunk) version, pls ask us and I'll be glad to build and send one.
   The eLua Web Builder is (and will always be) free to use and is already online at http://builder.eluaproject.net
   The builder code is a work of Vagner Nascimento, Carlos Eduardo Deodoro and   is currently maintained in a Subversion repository at svn://svn.giga.puc-rio.br/elua_builder

Best
Dado Sutter
Bogdan Marinescu

Stefan Brantschen-3 Stefan Brantschen-3

Re: [ANN] eLua Web Buider

Hi

On 4 Aug 2010, at 19:43, Dado Sutter wrote:

>    We're proud to announce a web service that builds eLua images ready to be flashed on supported platforms.

Congrats, this looks rather cool! Very nice idea and implementation.

With regards
-- Stefan

Ryan Pusztai Ryan Pusztai

Re: [ANN] eLua Web Buider

On Wed, Aug 4, 2010 at 1:43 PM, Dado Sutter <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

This looks great. I tryied to look at the source for the webbuilder, but the svn repo is password protected. Can I look at the source? I am very excited to see how you did this.
--
Regards,
Ryan

Re: [ANN] eLua Web Buider

Hello,

On Thu, Aug 5, 2010 at 10:30, Ryan Pusztai <[hidden email]> wrote:

This looks great.

Than you (and Stefan).

I tryied to look at the source for the webbuilder, but the svn repo is password protected. Can I look at the source? I am very excited to see how you did this.

I'm sorry for that. For checkouts this shouldn't be happening, I will check later today on the Lab.
If you (or anyone else) feel like contributing to the code, I'll be glad to give you commit access too.
We may push to github (are you familiar with git or you prefer an svn repo ?) to make things simpler.

--
Regards,
Ryan

Ryan Pusztai Ryan Pusztai

Re: [ANN] eLua Web Buider

Hi,

On Thu, Aug 5, 2010 at 10:11 AM, Dado Sutter <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hello,

On Thu, Aug 5, 2010 at 10:30, Ryan Pusztai <[hidden email]> wrote:

This looks great.

Than you (and Stefan).

I tryied to look at the source for the webbuilder, but the svn repo is password protected. Can I look at the source? I am very excited to see how you did this.

I'm sorry for that. For checkouts this shouldn't be happening, I will check later today on the Lab.

Great thanks.

If you (or anyone else) feel like contributing to the code, I'll be glad to give you commit access too.

At this point I am trying to get into more and more Kepler web development, so I want to look at your example. But if I can help I will let you know. It looks so professional and clean. Can't wait.

We may push to github (are you familiar with git or you prefer an svn repo ?) to make things simpler.

Either one is fine. I have more experience with Subversion, but I am getting used to Git as well.
--
Regards,
Ryan

Re: [ANN] eLua Web Buider

Hello,

On Thu, Aug 5, 2010 at 12:54, Ryan Pusztai <[hidden email]> wrote:
I tryied to look at the source for the webbuilder, but the svn repo is password protected. Can I look at the source? I am very excited to see how you did this.

I'm sorry for that. For checkouts this shouldn't be happening, I will check later today on the Lab.

Great thanks.

Ryan, could you pleas try again and make sure you are not accessing it through ssh ? ssh access is for authenticated (commit-access) users. The right URI for a simple checkout is:

svn checkout svn://svn.giga.puc-rio.br/elua_builder

Just to make it clear for the potential web builder users, the command above is only for those who want to see the web builder code (yes, it is based on Kepler but with a lot of addons from our Lab. They're all open-source and we'll be glad to share them all).

To access the web builder, all is needed is a regular browser and the URI is:

http://builder.eluaproject.net

Regards,
Ryan

Ryan Pusztai Ryan Pusztai

Re: [ANN] eLua Web Buider

Hi,

On Thu, Aug 5, 2010 at 12:27 PM, Dado Sutter <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hello,

On Thu, Aug 5, 2010 at 12:54, Ryan Pusztai <[hidden email]> wrote:
I tryied to look at the source for the webbuilder, but the svn repo is password protected. Can I look at the source? I am very excited to see how you did this.

I'm sorry for that. For checkouts this shouldn't be happening, I will check later today on the Lab.

Great thanks.

Ryan, could you pleas try again and make sure you are not accessing it through ssh ? ssh access is for authenticated (commit-access) users. The right URI for a simple checkout is:

svn checkout svn://svn.giga.puc-rio.br/elua_builder

This works great. Thanks.

Just to make it clear for the potential web builder users, the command above is only for those who want to see the web builder code (yes, it is based on Kepler but with a lot of addons from our Lab. They're all open-source and we'll be glad to share them all).

To access the web builder, all is needed is a regular browser and the URI is:

http://builder.eluaproject.net

I just created an account and tried to build for the PC and  STR9-COMSTICK and neither built. Am I missing something? I used the default "Basic" configuration.

P.S. What is the best platform to buy that has Ethernet and CAN? Thanks.
--
Regards,
Ryan

Re: [ANN] eLua Web Buider

On Thu, Aug 5, 2010 at 14:02, Ryan Pusztai <[hidden email]> wrote:
This works great. Thanks.

Nice.

................ I just created an account and tried to build for the PC and  STR9-COMSTICK and neither built. Am I missing something? I used the default "Basic" configuration.

Thanks for the report, we'll check it. It is aparently a simple problem with the path to the different compilers/toolchains used by the builder.

P.S. What is the best platform to buy that has Ethernet and CAN? Thanks.

This can depend on many other aspects of your applications but currently:

- The EK-LM3S8962 (Luminary Micro/Texas Instruments Cortex-M3, 50MHz, 64KB RAM) runs eLua very well and has both Ethernet and CAN ready to used.

- The STR-E912 (Olimex ARM9, 96MHz, 96KB RAM {it has some more but not contiguous}, external ram capable) is a bit more expensive but really rocks, although our net module is not yet available for it.

We've started a page on the eLua User Labs a while ago, to help users answer this question according to their needs, budgets, feelings, .... and any help on the wiki is welcome too.

--
Regards,
Ryan

Re: [ANN] eLua Web Buider

Errrrrrr

On Thu, Aug 5, 2010 at 15:23, Dado Sutter <[hidden email]> wrote:
- The STR-E912 (Olimex ARM9, 96MHz, 96KB RAM {it has some more but not contiguous}.............

Sorry, the Flash memory of the STR912 has non-contiguous banks, not the RAM.
Tks Fernando.

Re: [ANN] eLua Web Buider

On Thu, Aug 5, 2010 at 10:54 AM, Ryan Pusztai <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Either one is fine. I have more experience with Subversion, but I am getting
> used to Git as well.

As a side note on this, I've started maintaining copies of elua and
the elua_builder repositories on GitHub, if users would like to access
them from there:
http://github.com/elua/

They're currently done manually, so there may be some lag between svn
updates and github updates, but I'll try and automate the process
shortly.

PGP: http://fanplastic.org/key.txt
Phone: (847) 448-0386
Kevin Vermeer Kevin Vermeer

Re: [ANN] eLua Web Buider

P.S. What is the best platform to buy that has Ethernet and CAN? Thanks.
--
Regards,
Ryan

Hey Pusztai, what a surprise to see you here!

I've got eLua on a Stellaris EK-LM3S6965 Ethernet board at this very minute, and my class is done tonight. I'll walk it down to your cube tomorrow morning.  :)

My board doesn't have CAN (I had to buy it for a class, or I'd have chosen one with CAN), but it does have Ethernet.  Its bigger brother, the LM3S8962, has CAN - but both only have 64kB of RAM, and my crystal ball is telling me you're going to want to put some big libraries on this platform.  You might be better off going with one of the platforms with external memory.

Take a look at this page for a comparison of the libraries implemented on a number of boards: http://www.eluaproject.net/en_status.html
--
Kevin Vermeer

Re: [ANN] eLua Web Buider

Hi,

On Thu, Aug 5, 2010 at 16:48, Kevin Vermeer <[hidden email]> wrote:
P.S. What is the best platform to buy that has Ethernet and CAN? Thanks.
--
Regards,
Ryan

Hey Pusztai, what a surprise to see you here!

I've got eLua on a Stellaris EK-LM3S6965 Ethernet board at this very minute, and my class is done tonight. I'll walk it down to your cube tomorrow morning.  :)

Cool :) eLua social networking :)

My board doesn't have CAN (I had to buy it for a class, or I'd have chosen one with CAN), but it does have Ethernet.  Its bigger brother, the LM3S8962, has CAN - but both only have 64kB of RAM, and my crystal ball is telling me you're going to want to put some big libraries on this platform.  You might be better off going with one of the platforms with external memory.

I wouldn't call the EK-LM3S8962 exactly a "bigger brother". The EK-LM3S6965 has actually more of the other peripherals if you compare but yes, it is not oriented towards CAN.

Lua is proving to be a bit hungry RAMwise but our LTR Patch helps a lot keeping (read-only) tables and functions in Flash. We were surprised to be able to embedd libs like Lua Gravity in Stellaris 64KB kits.
Of course, lot's of external RAM don't hurt.

Take a look at this page for a comparison of the libraries implemented on a number of boards: http://www.eluaproject.net/en_status.htm

Our current trunk version added a lot to this and I'll should come up with another table to reflect it one of these days, maybe keeping it on the eLua User Labs wiki. This could give an idea on what to expect from the next eLua release too.

Kevin Vermeer

Re: [ANN] eLua Web Buider

FYI: The mirrors on GitHub should now update automatically, with
checking done for new data once per hour.

On Thu, Aug 5, 2010 at 2:28 PM, James Snyder <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Thu, Aug 5, 2010 at 10:54 AM, Ryan Pusztai <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Either one is fine. I have more experience with Subversion, but I am getting
>> used to Git as well.
>
> As a side note on this, I've started maintaining copies of elua and
> the elua_builder repositories on GitHub, if users would like to access
> them from there:
> http://github.com/elua/
>
> They're currently done manually, so there may be some lag between svn
> updates and github updates, but I'll try and automate the process
> shortly.
>
> --
> James Snyder
> Biomedical Engineering