uIP

Bittencourt Bittencourt

uIP

Greetings

What are the general impressions about hte uIP stack currently used in eLua (I know Bogdan dislike it, right?).
What are the other possible stacks to port?

Today I stumbled with lwip (http://www.sics.se/~adam/lwip/), don`t know if it`s better or worse than uIP...
--Pedro Bittencourt

Re: uIP

I think we may be leaning towards using lwip in the future, although I
don't know that anyone in particular has done work towards this end.

For ram/space constrained situations I think it might be nice to have
a UDP-only mode so that there's lower resource usage in situations
where a full TCP/IP stack along with the ability to do automatic
retransmission of data.

I believe that in some ways uIP looks a bit like this even for TCP/IP,
since it requires that the user of the stack be able to re-provide
data when TCP/IP re-transmission is necessary.

I've not dug through other small networking stacks out there.  lwIP
and uIP look to be among the more popular tiny BSD-license stacks out
there, and I've heard good things about lwIP.

Here's a stackoverflow discussion on this type of TCP/IP stack:
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/1160362/experiences-with-free-embedded-tcp-ip-stacks

On Fri, Sep 24, 2010 at 4:20 PM, Pedro Bittencourt
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Greetings
>
> What are the general impressions about hte uIP stack currently used in eLua
> (I know Bogdan dislike it, right?).
> What are the other possible stacks to port?
>
> Today I stumbled with lwip (http://www.sics.se/~adam/lwip/), don`t know if
> it`s better or worse than uIP...
> --Pedro Bittencourt

PGP: http://fanplastic.org/key.txt