study path to eLua

Patrick-11 Patrick-11

study path to eLua

Hi Everyone

In order to use eLua properly I am trying to learn more about
microcontrollers in general. I know AVR ones can be programmed in C but
many others require assembly. Would I be better off struggling through
with assembly to gain an intimate knowledge a device or better off with
something a little higher up like C? Which one will help most with eLua?

Thanks for reading-Patrick

Re: study path to eLua

eLua has different "audiences" http://www.eluaproject.net/en_overview.html#audience

But one of it's goals is to allow one to program full embedded applications with no knowledge of C or Assembly and even a limited knowledge of specific details of the hardware "below".

On Thu, Mar 25, 2010 at 18:51, Patrick <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi Everyone

In order to use eLua properly I am trying to learn more about microcontrollers in general. I know AVR ones can be programmed in C but many others require assembly. Would I be better off struggling through with assembly to gain an intimate knowledge a device or better off with something a little higher up like C? Which one will help most with eLua?

Thanks for reading-Patrick

Re: study path to eLua

Hi Everyone

Hi!

In order to use eLua properly I am trying to learn more about microcontrollers in general. I know AVR ones can be programmed in C but many others require assembly. Would I be better off struggling through with assembly to gain an intimate knowledge a device or better off with something a little higher up like C?

You'll definitely be better off with assembly if you want to know your device intimately. Question is, do you really need it? Most of the time I find out that I don't. Especially for 32-bit CPUs, the trend between manufacturers is to provide extremely complete support libraries that will hide most of the low level part of programming. And because of this, unless you're trying to do some crazy ASM stuff or some very aggressive optimizations,  C is all you need.

Which one will help most with eLua?

None, probably. What would help most with eLua is to understand the peripherals of your MCU very well for at least two reasons:

1. the eLua peripheral modules (uart, pio, pwm...) might not expose the whole functionality of your platform (this is almost always a work in progress in eLua :) )
2. even if you have enough functionality in the eLua modules, you'll want to check the implementation details of your peripherals. For example, PWM and timers might use the same resources on one platform, and separate ones in another platform. eLua won't help much there, you need to know your MPU well enough to avoid this kind of stuff.

If you really want to learn ASM or C and you don't know what to choose, choose C. (at least for starters) It has a much broader applicability, and it's easier to grasp than most ASMs out there.

Patrick-11 Patrick-11

Re: study path to eLua

Thanks Dado, Thanks Bogdan

Have a great night-Patrick