run Lua on a platform with an existing OS

Jimmie Jimmie

run Lua on a platform with an existing OS

Is it possible to run Lua on a platform with an existing OS? And what is needed to get it to work?

Here is what we want to accomplish:
We want to start Lua in a thread in the existing OS on the platform.
If there is a SD-card mounted on the platform, the existing OS should check if there is any Lua script on it. If that is true Lua should run the script.

Should we use eLua for this purpose?

Re: run Lua on a platform with an existing OS

On Wed, Sep 21, 2011 at 3:41 PM, Jimmie <[hidden email]> wrote:
Is it possible to run Lua on a platform with an existing OS?

I assume you mean eLua, not Lua, since Lua already runs on top of a number of OSes.

And what is
needed to get it to work?

Here is what we want to accomplish:
We want to start Lua in a thread in the existing OS on the platform.
If there is a SD-card mounted on the platform, the existing OS should check
if there is any Lua script on it. If that is true Lua should run the script.

Should we use eLua for this purpose?

What kind of OS are we talking about? For a full-fledged OS like Linux you're definitely better with stock Lua. For embedded OSes the discussion is more complex. eLua is very close to the hardware, it manages I/O resources, interrupts and memory; most likely this will result in conflicts with the OS. eLua could eventually run on top of an OS, but modifying it for this purpose would be quite a task.