require('can') fails

Owen Woollaston-2 Owen Woollaston-2

require('can') fails

Hi - can someone tell me what I'm missing?  I've spent a few hours poking around in the source (mostly platform) and cant do a require('can').  I'm using:

scons board=ek-lm3s8962 toolchain=codesourcery prog

All builds and downloads fine.  Added an X after PUC-Rio to test for idiot factor.  This is what I get:

eLua trunk pos0.7  Copyright (C) 2007-2010 www.eluaproject.org
eLua# lua
Press CTRL+Z to exit Lua
Lua 5.1.4  Copyright (C) 1994-2008 Lua.org, PUC-Rio X
> require ('can')
stdin:1: module 'can' not found:
        no field package.preload['can']
        no file '/mmc/can.lua'
        no file '/mmc/can.lc'
        no file '/rom/can.lua'
        no file '/rom/can.lc'
        no file './can.so'
        no file '/usr/local/lib/lua/5.1/can.so'
        no file '/usr/local/lib/lua/5.1/loadall.so'
stack traceback:
        [C]: in function 'require'
        stdin:1: in main chunk
        [C]: ?

Similar result with eLua 0.7 release.

Thanks, Owen

Re: require('can') fails

Hi,

On Mon, Nov 22, 2010 at 12:42 PM, Owen Woollaston
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi - can someone tell me what I'm missing?  I've spent a few hours poking
> around in the source (mostly platform) and cant do a require('can').  I'm
> using:
> scons board=ek-lm3s8962 toolchain=codesourcery prog
> All builds and downloads fine.  Added an X after PUC-Rio to test for idiot
> factor.  This is what I get:
> eLua trunk pos0.7  Copyright (C) 2007-2010 www.eluaproject.org
> eLua# lua
> Press CTRL+Z to exit Lua
> Lua 5.1.4  Copyright (C) 1994-2008 Lua.org, PUC-Rio X
>> require ('can')
> stdin:1: module 'can' not found:
>         no field package.preload['can']
>         no file '/mmc/can.lua'
>         no file '/mmc/can.lc'
>         no file '/rom/can.lua'
>         no file '/rom/can.lc'
>         no file './can.so'
>         no file '/usr/local/lib/lua/5.1/can.so'
>         no file '/usr/local/lib/lua/5.1/loadall.so'
> stack traceback:
>         [C]: in function 'require'
>         stdin:1: in main chunk
>         [C]: ?
> Similar result with eLua 0.7 release.

Currently eLua doesn't have binary modules support, and since CAN is a
binary (C code) module you need to enable it at build time, then you
can use it directly (without 'require'). Is CAN support enabled in
your build?

Kevin Vermeer Kevin Vermeer

Re: require('can') fails

On Mon, Nov 22, 2010 at 5:45 AM, Bogdan Marinescu <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi,
 [Snip]
Currently eLua doesn't have binary modules support, and since CAN is a
binary (C code) module you need to enable it at build time, then you
can use it directly (without 'require'). Is CAN support enabled in
your build?

If eLua doesn't have binary module support, why does `require ('can')` give an error message which says it is looking for './can.so', '/usr/local/lib/lua/5.1/can.so', and '/usr/local/lib/lua/5.1/loadall.so'?
--
Kevin Vermeer

Re: require('can') fails

On Mon, Nov 22, 2010 at 6:07 PM, Kevin Vermeer <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Mon, Nov 22, 2010 at 5:45 AM, Bogdan Marinescu
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Hi,
>
>  [Snip]
>>
>> Currently eLua doesn't have binary modules support, and since CAN is a
>> binary (C code) module you need to enable it at build time, then you
>> can use it directly (without 'require'). Is CAN support enabled in
>> your build?
>

> If eLua doesn't have binary module support, why does `require ('can')` give
> an error message which says it is looking for './can.so',
> '/usr/local/lib/lua/5.1/can.so', and '/usr/local/lib/lua/5.1/loadall.so'?

Because nobody touched that part of the code yet :) eLua _will_ have
binary module support, and at that point we'll take care of these
error message too. We could (and probably will) simply remove them
until then, to clear confusion.

Re: require('can') fails

Hi Kevin,
   Were you able to use CAN on LM3Ss after enabling it on the buiding ?
   Do you need some more instructions for this ?

On Mon, Nov 22, 2010 at 11:11, Bogdan Marinescu <[hidden email]> wrote:
On Mon, Nov 22, 2010 at 6:07 PM, Kevin Vermeer <[hidden email]> wrote:
> On Mon, Nov 22, 2010 at 5:45 AM, Bogdan Marinescu
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Hi,
>
>  [Snip]
>>
>> Currently eLua doesn't have binary modules support, and since CAN is a
>> binary (C code) module you need to enable it at build time, then you
>> can use it directly (without 'require'). Is CAN support enabled in
>> your build?
>

> If eLua doesn't have binary module support, why does `require ('can')` give
> an error message which says it is looking for './can.so',
> '/usr/local/lib/lua/5.1/can.so', and '/usr/local/lib/lua/5.1/loadall.so'?

Because nobody touched that part of the code yet :) eLua _will_ have
binary module support, and at that point we'll take care of these
error message too. We could (and probably will) simply remove them
until then, to clear confusion.

Kevin Vermeer Kevin Vermeer

Re: require('can') fails

Dado,

I believe that your question was directed at Owen.  I don't have a board with CAN support yet.

If your question was, in fact, directed at me, I have been able to build eLua for my LM3S6965 board.
--
Kevin Vermeer

On Mon, Nov 22, 2010 at 16:03, Kevin Vermeer <[hidden email]> wrote:
Dado,

I believe that your question was directed at Owen.

Yes it was. Tks Kevin.

I don't have a board with CAN support yet.

If your question was, in fact, directed at me, I have been able to build eLua for my LM3S6965 board.

Cool.
It seems that new Atmel's AVR32s will have CAN, as well as FPU and other goodies

http://www.atmel.com/dyn/products/product_card.asp?part_id=5010  Tks Sergio !