request for feedback, intro screencast

Patrick Mc(avery Patrick Mc(avery

request for feedback, intro screencast

Hi Everyone

I recorded my first screencast last night, the rough unedited copy is
available here:
http://spellingbeewinnars.org/intro.avi

I need to trim some of the video at the end and create a short "bumper"
at the front(you know a logo page).

It is 220mb and is does not stream yet. If you click on the link it
might be several minutes before the video even starts(it's 7 minutes
long). You might be better off right clicking and choosing "save link
as" and then deleting it later.

The tutorial is very simple and is very basic introduction to embedded
design and what elua is, it does not assume anything about the visitor,
it will be quite boring for you guys.

Do you think the quality of the audio and video is good?
Are the dimensions suitable?
I tried to speak slowly and clearly( I normally ramble like crazy ), was
I too slow and too "low energy"?

Any comments would be appreciated, thanks-Patrick

Re: request for feedback, intro screencast

Hi Patrick,

On Sun, Dec 11, 2011 at 5:47 PM, Patrick <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi Everyone

I recorded my first screencast last night, the rough unedited copy is available here:
http://spellingbeewinnars.org/intro.avi

I need to trim some of the video at the end and create a short "bumper" at the front(you know a logo page).

It is 220mb and is does not stream yet. If you click on the link it might be several minutes before the video even starts(it's 7 minutes long). You might be better off right clicking and choosing "save link as" and then deleting it later.

The tutorial is very simple and is very basic introduction to embedded design and what elua is, it does not assume anything about the visitor, it will be quite boring for you guys.

Do you think the quality of the audio and video is good?

Absolutely.

Are the dimensions suitable?

Sure. 720 HD is more than suitable :)

I tried to speak slowly and clearly( I normally ramble like crazy ), was I too slow and too "low energy"?

Nope, I found your voice very good for this kind of stuff (tutorials). It has the right intonation and speed. A side effect is that I'm having a really hard time imagining you ramble like crazy :)

Any comments would be appreciated, thanks-Patrick

Really, all I can say right now is "keep up the good work!" The tutorial is well organized and quite thorough, so it should be excellent for beginners and advanced users as well (they can skip parts from the first episodes or even a few episodes completely).
Also, I saw your "tutorial series" thread. That is HUGE. If at least 50% of what you've planned there is going to actually happen, we're going to have one of the best tutorial series that I ever saw.  I realize you're going to need help sooner or later, so please, don't hesitate to ask. Besides the technical stuff, I can be a speaker too if needed, although I don't think I can match your calm, "baby steps" style of exposition (I tend to be quite a bad teacher, especially when it comes to basic stuff), but I can certainly try.
Thanks for this! When you said you were going to do tutorials I expected something good, but your plan exceeds my expectations by a few orders of magnitude. So, once again, keep up the good work!

Re: request for feedback, intro screencast

On Sun, Dec 11, 2011 at 3:49 PM, Bogdan Marinescu
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Patrick,
>
> On Sun, Dec 11, 2011 at 5:47 PM, Patrick <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>>
>> Hi Everyone
>>
>> I recorded my first screencast last night, the rough unedited copy is
>> available here:
>> http://spellingbeewinnars.org/intro.avi
>>
>> I need to trim some of the video at the end and create a short "bumper" at
>> the front(you know a logo page).
>>
>> It is 220mb and is does not stream yet. If you click on the link it might
>> be several minutes before the video even starts(it's 7 minutes long). You
>> might be better off right clicking and choosing "save link as" and then
>> deleting it later.
>>
>> The tutorial is very simple and is very basic introduction to embedded
>> design and what elua is, it does not assume anything about the visitor, it
>> will be quite boring for you guys.
>>
>> Do you think the quality of the audio and video is good?
>

> Absolutely.

Ditto.

>> Are the dimensions suitable?
>

> Sure. 720 HD is more than suitable :)

I would also agree here. Depending on where/how you are thinking of
hosting these I think that's a nice resolution.  If you're thinking of
having them on a place like YouTube where it will encode them at
varying resolutions you may want to blow up the fonts a little when
working with code so that when the video is viewed at 480, for
example, rather than 720, things are still readable, but I think this
gives you a nice large canvas to work with for presenting information.

Additionally, while the video you posted weighted in at 220 MB or so,
if you're concerned about bandwidth you can trim file size quite a bit
by using a transcoding tool.  While I'm not that familiar with what
might be ideal for screencasts, HandBrake (http://handbrake.fr/)
should do a pretty decent job without changing any settings (I got a
16 MB file that looked decent at first pass).

>> I tried to speak slowly and clearly( I normally ramble like crazy ), was I
>> too slow and too "low energy"?
>

> Nope, I found your voice very good for this kind of stuff (tutorials). It
> has the right intonation and speed. A side effect is that I'm having a
> really hard time imagining you ramble like crazy :)

I agree, I think it worked well and had good pacing. It sounds like
you have a good recording environment as well which is really helpful.
 Energy and speed are good too.

>> Any comments would be appreciated, thanks-Patrick
>

> Really, all I can say right now is "keep up the good work!" The tutorial is
> well organized and quite thorough, so it should be excellent for beginners
> and advanced users as well (they can skip parts from the first episodes or
> even a few episodes completely).

I second this :-)  As someone who has loved to have screencast
tutorials and google tech talks that walk through the basics of using
things, I think this will be great for those who are just getting
started and those further along who would rather follow someone
walking through the process than just read docs

> Also, I saw your "tutorial series" thread. That is HUGE. If at least 50% of
> what you've planned there is going to actually happen, we're going to have
> one of the best tutorial series that I ever saw.  I realize you're going to
> need help sooner or later, so please, don't hesitate to ask.

Agreed. If there's anything we can help with (questions, bugs, docs,
production, etc..), do let us know.  I think this will be tremendously
helpful for users who are just getting start or who are interested in
the project.

As Bogdan mentions below if you need any speaking sections, I'd be
happy to try and help with that as well.

Thanks for putting together an excellent plan and demo :-)

Best.

-jsnyder