reflashing board

Patrick Mc(avery Patrick Mc(avery

reflashing board

Hi Everyone

After not being able to participate in the project for about a year I am
trying to catch up again. I have an elua image loaded on my luminary
board but I can't even remember which one. It was several games that can
be played if that helps.

I am trying to reflash the board using the proprietary flash programmer
that shipped with the board but I am getting this error:

""" failed to synchonize baud rate with board!
To program using the serial port(UART), the board must be programmed
with the serial flash loader or properly configured bootloader.

Luminary Micro's microcontrollers are shipped with the serial flash
loader programmed in the the internal flash. [snip]
"""

Have I done something stupid? Have I managed to overwrite the serial
loader? Is there an easy solution for this? If not, I do want to get a
jtag programmer and use the board under Linux, hopefully it will solve
the issue.

Thanks for reading

Re: reflashing board

On Sat, Dec 10, 2011 at 11:56 AM, Patrick
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Everyone
>
> After not being able to participate in the project for about a year I am
> trying to catch up again. I have an elua image loaded on my luminary board
> but I can't even remember which one. It was several games that can be played
> if that helps.
>
> I am trying to reflash the board using the proprietary flash programmer that
> shipped with the board but I am getting this error:
>
> """ failed to synchonize baud rate with board!
> To program using the serial port(UART), the board must be programmed with
> the serial flash loader or properly configured bootloader.
>
> Luminary Micro's microcontrollers are shipped with the serial flash loader
> programmed in the the internal flash. [snip]
> """
>

> Have I done something stupid? Have I managed to overwrite the serial loader?

I'm not sure which might be exclusions to this or which board you
have, but if you're using an eval kit, you're most likely connecting
over USB and had to install some FTDI drivers
(http://www.ti.com/tool/lm_ftdi_driver) to get a serial interface to
the first UART?  If so, the onboard FTDI chip is set up to provide
JTAG and a connection to the built-in first UART, and you can use the
Flash Programmer tool to flash it:
http://www.ti.com/tool/lmflashprogrammer

In this tool you can usually select the eval board you have from the
top drop-down menu, and it should get the correct settings for
flashing the device.

Depending on which board you have, you'll probably also have a 20-pin
JTAG connector on it that you can use for debugging other boards, so
you can actually use your EK as a cheap ftdi-based JTAG interface for
debugging other ARM MCUs.

> Is there an easy solution for this? If not, I do want to get a jtag
> programmer and use the board under Linux, hopefully it will solve the issue.

You can also use OpenOCD under Linux to flash it, but the setup for
that is a tad more complicated.  We have a guide for this, but it
might be a bit outdated.  If you need help with this I can provide
some instructions that at least work for the Luminary EKs I have.  I
may try and update the guide we have in the near future as well if
it's using an old version of OpenOCD.

> Thanks for reading
Patrick Mc(avery Patrick Mc(avery

Re: reflashing board

[snip]

> I'm not sure which might be exclusions to this or which board you
> have, but if you're using an eval kit, you're most likely connecting
> over USB and had to install some FTDI drivers
> (http://www.ti.com/tool/lm_ftdi_driver) to get a serial interface to
> the first UART?  If so, the onboard FTDI chip is set up to provide
> JTAG and a connection to the built-in first UART, and you can use the
> Flash Programmer tool to flash it:
> http://www.ti.com/tool/lmflashprogrammer
>
> In this tool you can usually select the eval board you have from the
> top drop-down menu, and it should get the correct settings for
> flashing the device.
>
> Depending on which board you have, you'll probably also have a 20-pin
> JTAG connector on it that you can use for debugging other boards, so
> you can actually use your EK as a cheap ftdi-based JTAG interface for
> debugging other ARM MCUs.
Hi James
Thanks for replying to my post. My board is the LM3S8962. I totally
screwed this up. I had USB serial drivers already installed on the
computer so I thought I was good to go as the board was found a com3.
However I did not have the proper drivers installed, thanks for
mentioning the drivers.

I am good now, sorry for the noise. I am going to give jtag/openOCD a
try next.
Thanks again-Patrick