porting to STM32

Justin Cormack Justin Cormack

porting to STM32

How different are the STM32 eval boards? I see there is a port for
STM32F4DISCOVERY, if I were to pick another board with the same CPU
but different peripherals/memory size would porting just be a matter
of config for the other peripherals or are there annoying random
differences? Anyone got an estimate of the amount of work?

Justin
Richard Möhn Richard Möhn

Re: porting to STM32

On Mon, Nov 18, 2013 at 09:22:38AM +0000, Justin Cormack wrote:
> How different are the STM32 eval boards? I see there is a port for
> STM32F4DISCOVERY, if I were to pick another board with the same CPU
> but different peripherals/memory size would porting just be a matter
> of config for the other peripherals or are there annoying random
> differences? Anyone got an estimate of the amount of work?

Hi Justin,

I have ported eLua to a board designed at Freie Universität Berlin. It
features an STM32F415RG processor, a JTAG interface, which in connection
with [1] works like the Mini USB port on the DISCOVERY board, and a
Micro USB port that again works like the Micro USB port of the DISCOVERY
board. No configuration should be needed for these.

Apart from the peripherals, porting was quite easy. You simply
copy/include the file boards/known/stm32f4discovery.lua and do some
minor adjustments. The header file for the 415RG processor was the same
as for the 407VG.

Best,

Richard

[1] http://www.st.com/web/catalog/tools/FM146/CL1984/SC724/SS1677/PF251168
[2] http://www.eluaproject.net/doc/master/en_arch_newport.html
Justin Cormack Justin Cormack

Re: porting to STM32

On Mon, Nov 18, 2013 at 1:58 PM, Richard Möhn
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Mon, Nov 18, 2013 at 09:22:38AM +0000, Justin Cormack wrote:
>> How different are the STM32 eval boards? I see there is a port for
>> STM32F4DISCOVERY, if I were to pick another board with the same CPU
>> but different peripherals/memory size would porting just be a matter
>> of config for the other peripherals or are there annoying random
>> differences? Anyone got an estimate of the amount of work?
>

> Hi Justin,
>
> I have ported eLua to a board designed at Freie Universität Berlin. It
> features an STM32F415RG processor, a JTAG interface, which in connection
> with [1] works like the Mini USB port on the DISCOVERY board, and a
> Micro USB port that again works like the Micro USB port of the DISCOVERY
> board. No configuration should be needed for these.
>
> Apart from the peripherals, porting was quite easy. You simply
> copy/include the file boards/known/stm32f4discovery.lua and do some
> minor adjustments. The header file for the 415RG processor was the same
> as for the 407VG.

Thanks very much, that sounds quite simple.

Justin

Re: porting to STM32

Yes, it would ideally be as simple as ts Richard described. More complex scenarios involve different CPUs, it all depends on your target board.

On 18 Nov 2013 19:25, "Bogdan Marinescu" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Yes, it would ideally be as simple as ts Richard described. More complex scenarios involve different CPUs, it all depends on your target board.

Well my aim was to pick one as close as possible to what's supported but with slightly different IO built in, and the memory size I want...