ping

Martin Guy Martin Guy

ping

http://www.eluaproject.ne/en_downloads.html#svnpublic

needs git instructions urgently. Dado, can you do this?

Re: ping

On Tue, Apr 26, 2011 at 17:23, Martin Guy <[hidden email]> wrote:
http://www.eluaproject.ne/en_downloads.html#svnpublic

needs git instructions urgently. Dado, can you do this?

Sure, sorry, it is totally outdated because I was working on the new site model, which has part of the doc based on a CVS and the time has disappeared :( But it will all end well, don't worry :)

Also, James has just updated the refered page as you urged. Thanks to both !

Re: ping

Yep, was just about to send a message :-)

I put in a few changes to the doc and did a simple update just so we'd
at least have that correct until we get the new site in place.

On Tue, Apr 26, 2011 at 5:14 PM, Dado Sutter <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Tue, Apr 26, 2011 at 17:23, Martin Guy <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> http://www.eluaproject.ne/en_downloads.html#svnpublic
>>
>> needs git instructions urgently. Dado, can you do this?
>
> Sure, sorry, it is totally outdated because I was working on the new site
> model, which has part of the doc based on a CVS and the time has disappeared
> :( But it will all end well, don't worry :)
>
> Also, James has just updated the refered page as you urged. Thanks to both !

> Best
> Dado

Martin Guy Martin Guy

Re: ping

Just for curiosity, when do changes to the docs in git get transferred
to the web version?
When a release happens?
I just ask so that I can stop seeing the same typoes and checking them
in the source again and again

Re: ping

On Tue, Apr 26, 2011 at 7:29 PM, Martin Guy <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Just for curiosity, when do changes to the docs in git get transferred
> to the web version?
> When a release happens?

Yep.  They're manually pushed on updates, and I just replaced a single
file since I don't usually do the updates and someone else (Bogdan or
Dado) usually at least add the counter and BerliOS badge later.

I guess we haven't had a great mechanism for fixing typos aside from
new releases since we want the website to be consistent with the
current release and not necessarily what's in development (I'm hoping
we can fix this at some point).  With the current approach what might
be best would be to have a maintenance branch that such things that
merged onto if they were to get fixed between releases.

> I just ask so that I can stop seeing the same typoes and checking them
> in the source again and again

Are the typo fixes you've made in commits by themselves (i.e.: just
doc fixes and not code+doc fixes?)  If so I could git cherry-pick them
on top of 0.8 and update based on that so that you don't have to wait
for the next release to see particularly glaring issues fixed :-)

As far as establishing a maintenance branch, I think we would need a
little more discussion before pushing anything like merged version of
0.8 with the cherry picked fixes up to the repo.

Re: ping

Hello,

On Tue, Apr 26, 2011 at 21:29, Martin Guy <[hidden email]> wrote:
Just for curiosity, when do changes to the docs in git get transferred
to the web version?

Currently ,we should be able to upload them as soon as we approve the changes.
In this case, there is really nothing special to "approve", so it only depends on our time.

When a release happens?
I just ask so that I can stop seeing the same typoes and checking them
in the source again and again

I understand your feelings and this is actually one of the things that drove us to move to a slightly different model for the doc and site maintenance.

- The "site" part of the doc today will no longer be maintained on the distros. It is too volatile and it makes no sense keeping it on the distro. It will be kept on a CMS service (based on RefineryCMS) and it will hopefully help us to have a more dynamic and active website.

- The "core doc" content will continue to be on the distros and this will force us to find a better way to manage it's (some) updates on the online doc. Personally, I don't know exactly how this will be handled but many options are being considered. I'll be glad to discuss them here eventually.

- The "Reference Manual" content (the existing Lua API doc and future C API doc), will continue to be maintained on the distros, publicly available for download (with it's own build scripts) with the trunk source code and will only be published when a new version is released. The site will show the last official released version's doc. Other versions, (probably including the trunk/master), will be made available for download or for navigation too.

- We would love to promote a more "Release Soon Release Often" model. We are limited to our capabilities though, which we really expect to make grow soon, with a more attractive dev environment and collaboration model to deserve having a bigger and wider developer's community. Previous efforts were made in this direction, like the public Tracker, the new site structure, .... Having you and other developers from the great SimpleMachines Team here make me think we are in a good direction. But yes, there is a lot of work ahead and it is up to me to share more of it here on the list too.

Re: ping

On Wed, Apr 27, 2011 at 3:29 AM, Martin Guy <[hidden email]> wrote:
Just for curiosity, when do changes to the docs in git get transferred
to the web version?
When a release happens?

Yes. And, as people already pointed out, this model is very bad as the proejct and its site have obviously different dynamics. This will change once we launch our new CMS based site.

Re: ping

On Wed, Apr 27, 2011 at 05:13, Bogdan Marinescu <[hidden email]> wrote:
On Wed, Apr 27, 2011 at 3:29 AM, Martin Guy <[hidden email]> wrote:
Just for curiosity, when do changes to the docs in git get transferred
to the web version?
When a release happens?

Yes. And, as people already pointed out, this model is very bad as the proejct and its site have obviously different dynamics. This will change once we launch our new CMS based site.

The new CMS-based site will definitely help with mostly everything.
I'm afraid that part of what Martin has mentioned will not be solved though but Jame's suggestion is one of the solutions for this and I would like to conclude here if it is the best one.

Martin has been fixing typo and style errors on content that is not migrating to the CMS and, as such, would only be published when we launch new eLua releases.
James proposed that we maintains a "maintenance branch" (or whatever we call it), to merge fixes to the trunk that should be published immediately. Github's hooks can then trigger automated tools to (re)build the doc for the online site, rendering Martin's and other collaborators changes immediately.

Is there a better mechanism to accomplish the same results ?

Martin Guy Martin Guy

Re: ping

On 27 April 2011 03:04, James Snyder <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Are the typo fixes you've made in commits by themselves (i.e.: just
> doc fixes and not code+doc fixes?)  If so I could git cherry-pick them
> on top of 0.8 and update based on that so that you don't have to wait
> for the next release to see particularly glaring issues fixed :-)

Yes. One commit does one thing, I never (intentionally!) do more than
one unrelated thing in one commit.

Martin Guy Martin Guy

Re: ping

> Martin has been fixing typo and style errors on content that is not
> migrating to the CMS and, as such, would only be published when we launch
> new eLua releases.

I think that's OK as a mechanism for now - after all, it is still an
alpha testing product

Re: ping

On Wed, Apr 27, 2011 at 11:49, Martin Guy <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Martin has been fixing typo and style errors on content that is not
> migrating to the CMS and, as such, would only be published when we launch
> new eLua releases.

I think that's OK as a mechanism for now - after all, it is still an
alpha testing product

Yes, this would "justify".
But we really don't want to have to wait for typo fixes, content refinements, new examples, important corrections and other ready-to-be-published info, to wait for a new release to be published.
We will have a mechanism to do this automatically, each time a commit has content that should be updated online too.

Martin Guy Martin Guy

Re: ping

On 27 April 2011 16:53, Dado Sutter <[hidden email]> wrote:
> But we really don't want to have to wait for typo fixes, content
> refinements, new examples, important corrections and other
> ready-to-be-published info, to wait for a new release to be published.
> We will have a mechanism to do this automatically, each time a commit has
> content that should be updated online too.

In that case the usual maintenance branch and development branch seem
ideal, both for the online docs and for eventual minor fixes to
releases that have already been made.  In this case, typos would need
applying to both branches but that's no great hardship.

Re: ping

On Wed, Apr 27, 2011 at 10:46 AM, Martin Guy <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 27 April 2011 16:53, Dado Sutter <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> But we really don't want to have to wait for typo fixes, content
>> refinements, new examples, important corrections and other
>> ready-to-be-published info, to wait for a new release to be published.
>> We will have a mechanism to do this automatically, each time a commit has
>> content that should be updated online too.
>
> In that case the usual maintenance branch and development branch seem
> ideal, both for the online docs and for eventual minor fixes to
> releases that have already been made.  In this case, typos would need
> applying to both branches but that's no great hardship.

Right, this should be fairly simple to maintain.

So, I guess the question would then be be which structure to use for
this.  We have a tagged 0.8 release.  Then in branches we have pre0.8
and post0.8.  It looks like post0.8 is what would be closest to a
maintenance branch, so it would probably be pretty easy to look
through Martin's commits that modified files in docs/en on trunk and
cherry-pick them and apply them to post0.8 if we were attempting to
update the current site.  A new thread/discussion might be best if we
start a discussion on this.

We can probably focus on the auto-updating of documentation for the
new site structure, and maybe discuss a bit of that on the tracker.

Re: ping

On Wed, Apr 27, 2011 at 18:49, James Snyder <[hidden email]> wrote:
On Wed, Apr 27, 2011 at 10:46 AM, Martin Guy <[hidden email]> wrote:
> On 27 April 2011 16:53, Dado Sutter <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> But we really don't want to have to wait for typo fixes, content
>> refinements, new examples, important corrections and other
>> ready-to-be-published info, to wait for a new release to be published.
>> We will have a mechanism to do this automatically, each time a commit has
>> content that should be updated online too.
>
> In that case the usual maintenance branch and development branch seem
> ideal, both for the online docs and for eventual minor fixes to
> releases that have already been made.  In this case, typos would need
> applying to both branches but that's no great hardship.

Right, this should be fairly simple to maintain.

So, I guess the question would then be be which structure to use for
this.  We have a tagged 0.8 release.  Then in branches we have pre0.8
and post0.8.  It looks like post0.8 is what would be closest to a
maintenance branch, so it would probably be pretty easy to look
through Martin's commits that modified files in docs/en on trunk and
cherry-pick them and apply them to post0.8 if we were attempting to
update the current site.  A new thread/discussion might be best if we
start a discussion on this.

Yes, let's do this please.

We can probably focus on the auto-updating of documentation for the
new site structure, and maybe discuss a bit of that on the tracker.

Yes. And we have good news to announce today on this but please let me do it in another thread too.