net.lookup locked

gduarte gduarte

net.lookup locked

Hello guys!

Today I was trying to use net.lookup to find the IP address of a host, to then ask data with net.connect, but, the net.lookup gets locked forever. Maybe it's not finding a DNS server to ask.

I am using a mizar32 with this build:

I made a simple test with:
= net.lookup("www.eluaproject.net")

Unfortunately it does nor work... Tips?

Cheers!

--
Gabriel Duarte
Linux User #471185

gduarte gduarte

Re: net.lookup locked

Hi Gabriel,
   Did you edit the default value for a valid DNS server?
   If you're using the eLua web builder, it is easy to find this field under advanced options.
   If you're building it in a toolchain of yours, grep for "dns_address =" and add the IP of the DNS server of your choice.
   I hope it helps, pls let us know.

On Mon, May 6, 2013 at 9:37 PM, Gabriel Duarte <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

gduarte gduarte

Re: net.lookup locked

Nop, I didn't.

I have used the SimpleMachines web builder... I do not know to where to point, once I do not have a DNS server. Actually I tried to use Google's DNS server in a second build, 8.8.8.8, but didn't work anyway.

I would like to know to where the LM3S8962 is pointing the DNS, considering the fact that it's working fine.

Cheers

2013/5/6 Dado Sutter <[hidden email]>
[...]

If your build has the the DHCP option active, the kit should receive and use not only it's IP but also the DNS server IP.
I don't know how this works on the Mizar32 web builder though :(  Maybe the defaults are different but their doc is 1st class.
Martin, Nuccio and Sergio are also here to help a hand ...

I'd love to see your Mizar32 working perfectly ASAP, for the number of projects where it can be used doesn't stop to grow.

On Mon, May 6, 2013 at 10:50 PM, Gabriel Duarte <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

gduarte gduarte

gduarte gduarte

Lucas R. Martins Lucas R. Martins

Re: net.lookup locked

Gabriel,

Have you some progress?

Maybe you can sniff the network traffic, looking for DNS packages, to see if that has all data and for which address it is going to. This should be usefull for debugging...

On May 7, 2013 9:33 PM, "Gabriel Duarte" <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

gduarte gduarte

Martin Guy Martin Guy

Re: net.lookup locked

Hi Gabriel, sorry for the delay in replying

When I tested the Mizar32 network stuff a year ago it gave no problems
in this area. Can you try the elua-0.9 firmware for Mizar32 from
http://www.eluaproject.net/get-started/downloads
and let us know if that improves things for you?

Martin Guy Martin Guy

Re: net.lookup locked

hi again.

I can confirm that Mizar32 gets its address correctly from a DHCP
server on the local network and that net.lookup() works fine.

> p=net.lookup("simplemachines.it")
> =p
-1341547820
> =net.unpackip(p, '*s')
176.9.154.212

I guess you need to sort out your local network/DHCP server/DNS
server/internet gateway.

gduarte gduarte

Re: net.lookup locked

Hello Martin,

it's good to hear from you. I can test for you the 0.9 to see what is improved :D

I have flashed a firmware from simplemachines web builder, with UIP and DNS resolver.

I noticed that Mizar32 always gets the IP address that I set into the builder, not a DHCP address. It's strange, maybe it's a problem with
DHCP server (my router, in this case) and because of it does not find correct settings, like DNS server and gateway, only uses the default
address set at build time, 192.168.1.1, if I remember correctly.

Which firmware version are you using?

2013/5/11 Martin Guy <[hidden email]>
hi again.

I can confirm that Mizar32 gets its address correctly from a DHCP
server on the local network and that net.lookup() works fine.

> p=net.lookup("simplemachines.it")
> =p
-<a href="tel:1341547820" value="+551341547820">1341547820
> =net.unpackip(p, '*s')

I guess you need to sort out your local network/DHCP server/DNS
server/internet gateway.

Gabriel Duarte
Linux User #471185
Rio de Janeiro / RJ
http://genericdev.wordpress.com/

gduarte gduarte

Re: net.lookup locked

-> 192.168.1.1

This was my last build:

2013/5/11 Gabriel Duarte <[hidden email]>
Hello Martin,

it's good to hear from you. I can test for you the 0.9 to see what is improved :D

I have flashed a firmware from simplemachines web builder, with UIP and DNS resolver.

I noticed that Mizar32 always gets the IP address that I set into the builder, not a DHCP address. It's strange, maybe it's a problem with
DHCP server (my router, in this case) and because of it does not find correct settings, like DNS server and gateway, only uses the default
address set at build time, 192.168.1.1, if I remember correctly.

Which firmware version are you using?

2013/5/11 Martin Guy <[hidden email]>
hi again.

I can confirm that Mizar32 gets its address correctly from a DHCP
server on the local network and that net.lookup() works fine.

> p=net.lookup("simplemachines.it")
> =p
-<a href="tel:1341547820" target="_blank" value="+551341547820">1341547820
> =net.unpackip(p, '*s')

I guess you need to sort out your local network/DHCP server/DNS
server/internet gateway.

Gabriel Duarte
Linux User #471185
Rio de Janeiro / RJ
http://genericdev.wordpress.com/

--
Gabriel Duarte
Linux User #471185
Rio de Janeiro / RJ
http://genericdev.wordpress.com/

gduarte gduarte

Re: net.lookup locked

This one is without DHCP, but the previous has but does not work anyway:

2013/5/11 Gabriel Duarte <[hidden email]>
-> 192.168.1.1

This was my last build:

2013/5/11 Gabriel Duarte <[hidden email]>
Hello Martin,

it's good to hear from you. I can test for you the 0.9 to see what is improved :D

I have flashed a firmware from simplemachines web builder, with UIP and DNS resolver.

I noticed that Mizar32 always gets the IP address that I set into the builder, not a DHCP address. It's strange, maybe it's a problem with
DHCP server (my router, in this case) and because of it does not find correct settings, like DNS server and gateway, only uses the default
address set at build time, 192.168.1.1, if I remember correctly.

Which firmware version are you using?

2013/5/11 Martin Guy <[hidden email]>
hi again.

I can confirm that Mizar32 gets its address correctly from a DHCP
server on the local network and that net.lookup() works fine.

> p=net.lookup("simplemachines.it")
> =p
-<a href="tel:1341547820" target="_blank" value="+551341547820">1341547820
> =net.unpackip(p, '*s')

I guess you need to sort out your local network/DHCP server/DNS
server/internet gateway.

Gabriel Duarte
Linux User #471185
Rio de Janeiro / RJ
http://genericdev.wordpress.com/

--
Gabriel Duarte
Linux User #471185
Rio de Janeiro / RJ
http://genericdev.wordpress.com/

--
Gabriel Duarte
Linux User #471185
Rio de Janeiro / RJ
http://genericdev.wordpress.com/

Martin Guy Martin Guy

Re: net.lookup locked

OK, please use the official firmware, either 20120123 or elua 0.9, so
that we are talking about the same thing.

I am able to reproduce your symptom - that net.lookup() blocks - in
the following circumstances:

- No DHCP server gives the Mizar32 an address and routing info
- It gets a DHCP address but cannot contact the name server

If no DHCP server responds for 60 seconds, eLua stops trying and sets
the fixed addresses, which are:

#define ELUA_CONF_IPADDR0     192
#define ELUA_CONF_IPADDR1     168
#define ELUA_CONF_IPADDR2     1
#define ELUA_CONF_IPADDR3     10

#define ELUA_CONF_NETMASK0    255
#define ELUA_CONF_NETMASK1    255
#define ELUA_CONF_NETMASK2    255
#define ELUA_CONF_NETMASK3    0

#define ELUA_CONF_DEFGW0      192
#define ELUA_CONF_DEFGW1      168
#define ELUA_CONF_DEFGW2      1
#define ELUA_CONF_DEFGW3      1

#define ELUA_CONF_DNS0        192
#define ELUA_CONF_DNS1        168
#define ELUA_CONF_DNS2        1
#define ELUA_CONF_DNS3        1

I hope this helps

Martin Guy Martin Guy

Re: net.lookup locked

Hi again Gabriel.
  Trying to reproduce your problem, our Mizar32 developers are finding
that net.lookup sometimes works and sometimes doesn't, apparently at
random.
  On Saturday it was working for me - today it isn't, and that goes
for both SM's 0.8-based firmware and the 0.9 firmware on the
eluaproject.net site.

  I've been trying to finalise the Simplemachines' release of elua-0.9
in the last few days, and with that am getting consistent success
where the other two firmwares are failing. Maybe you could help me
with a little beta-testing of the attached firmware, which you'll need
to gunzip first, and let me know if it improves anything for you?

elua_lualong_at32uc3a0256_mizar32_0.9rc1.hex.gz (236K) Download Attachment
gduarte gduarte

Re: net.lookup locked

Hello Matin!

That's bad you coud reproduce the problem, I was wishing I would a problem only with me.
I will flash this firmware tonight and give you a report about what happens. I hope it will work.

You got any idea where is the problem? uIP?

Cheers

2013/5/13 Martin Guy <[hidden email]>
Hi again Gabriel.
  Trying to reproduce your problem, our Mizar32 developers are finding
that net.lookup sometimes works and sometimes doesn't, apparently at
random.
  On Saturday it was working for me - today it isn't, and that goes
for both SM's 0.8-based firmware and the 0.9 firmware on the
eluaproject.net site.

  I've been trying to finalise the Simplemachines' release of elua-0.9
in the last few days, and with that am getting consistent success
where the other two firmwares are failing. Maybe you could help me
with a little beta-testing of the attached firmware, which you'll need
to gunzip first, and let me know if it improves anything for you?

Gabriel Duarte
Linux User #471185
Rio de Janeiro / RJ
http://genericdev.wordpress.com/

Martin Guy Martin Guy

Re: net.lookup locked

> You got any idea where is the problem? uIP?

  That's a big question. It could be one of many things, and whether
it works for you is one test that may suggest the cause.
  To apply most debugging methods, you have to be able to repeat the
failure. At present I only have it failing on your network and my
colleague's home network, with you using your firmware from the Web
Builder and him using his own firmware that he has been modifying to
improve other areas.  That's why I ask you to test SM's 0.8 release
binary and eluaproject's 0.9 Mizar32 binary, reducing the problem to
bugs in those firmwares, problems with your Mizar32 hardware and the
setup of your home network.

gduarte gduarte

Re: net.lookup locked

Hello Martin!

With this firmware you sent me, I cant get even access to eLua's command line, be through screen or Goat :/ This firmware is compiled with UART support?

I could not find how to build eLua 0.9 from eLua Web builder, only 0.8.

I have tested SM's 0.8, elua_lua_at32uc3a0256.hex, from mizar32-firmware-20120123.tgz and does not work anyway :(

2013/5/14 Martin Guy <[hidden email]>
> You got any idea where is the problem? uIP?

  That's a big question. It could be one of many things, and whether
it works for you is one test that may suggest the cause.
  To apply most debugging methods, you have to be able to repeat the
failure. At present I only have it failing on your network and my
colleague's home network, with you using your firmware from the Web
Builder and him using his own firmware that he has been modifying to
improve other areas.  That's why I ask you to test SM's 0.8 release
binary and eluaproject's 0.9 Mizar32 binary, reducing the problem to
bugs in those firmwares, problems with your Mizar32 hardware and the
setup of your home network.

Gabriel Duarte
Linux User #471185
Rio de Janeiro / RJ
http://genericdev.wordpress.com/

Martin Guy Martin Guy

Re: net.lookup locked

> With this firmware you sent me, I cant get even access to eLua's command
> line, be through screen or Goat :/ This firmware is compiled with UART
> support?

No, console is on USB. Or yes, the virtual UART on the USB port.

> I could not find how to build eLua 0.9 from eLua Web builder, only 0.8.

For 0.9 with web builder, you can use the "Mizar32 WEB Builder (branch
master)" interface.  I didn't write the web builder, but it looks like
it fetches the latest sources from github.com

> I have tested SM's 0.8, elua_lua_at32uc3a0256.hex, from
> mizar32-firmware-20120123.tgz and does not work anyway :(

Please be more specific. What exact commands are you using? What
output do you get? What "does not work"?