##### instead of eLua # in Hyperterminal

Thiago Naves Thiago Naves

##### instead of eLua # in Hyperterminal

Hi,
I'm having some trouble trying to program an LM3S8962 ( in a EK-LM3S8962 board from Luminary Micro ).

I'm using Mac OS X Snow Leopard to build eLua using the toolchain from this site:

http://fanplastic.org/gcc-for-arm-eabi/

It builds OK, but when I flash it and the open Hyperterminal ( in a Windows XP VM in Parallels ) I get ##### instead of eLua # and it ignores anything I type...

Best
Thiago

Re: ##### instead of eLua # in Hyperterminal

That output on LM3S suggests that you've encountered a hard fault,
which could be a couple of things.

I assume you're using the 2009q1 release of codesourcery's tools, from
the guide?

What version of eLua are you attempting to build? Have you adjusted
any configuration parameters or is this straight out of the
repository?

Based on some recent experience, It may be that your compiler didn't
build with multilib support properly enabled and is linking in thumb
code instead of thumb2 code, but I believe 2009q1 should build
correctly with the instructions that are currently up.

If you want to send me your .elf file from the build, I should be able
to check if that's happening.

Best.

-jsnyder

On Tue, Dec 1, 2009 at 9:29 AM, Thiago Naves <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi,
> I'm having some trouble trying to program an LM3S8962 ( in a EK-LM3S8962
> board from Luminary Micro ).
>
> I'm using Mac OS X Snow Leopard to build eLua using the toolchain from this
> site:
>
> http://fanplastic.org/gcc-for-arm-eabi/
>
> It builds OK, but when I flash it and the open Hyperterminal ( in a Windows
> XP VM in Parallels ) I get ##### instead of eLua # and it ignores anything I
> type...
>

> Best
> Thiago

PGP: http://fanplastic.org/key.txt
Phone: (847) 448-0386
Thiago Naves Thiago Naves

Re: ##### instead of eLua # in Hyperterminal

I built it with codesourcery 2009q1, just like the tutorial said and haven't modified anything...
I built the eLua trunk revision 558...

I'm sending the .elf too..

thx.

Best
Thiago

elua_lua_lm3s8962.elf (579K) Download Attachment

On Tue, Dec 1, 2009 at 1:31 PM, Thiago Naves <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I built it with codesourcery 2009q1, just like the tutorial said and haven't
> modified anything...
> I built the eLua trunk revision 558...

Just checking...

> I'm sending the .elf too..

Yep, it seems to be building for the wrong instruction set.  I haven't
had this problem with this particular toolchain version (had it with
2009Q3).

I'm doing a fresh build now to double-check that it works from scratch for me.

Can you tell me whether there are thumb and/or thumb2 directories in this path:
$HOME/arm-cs-tools/lib/gcc/arm-eabi/4.3.3/

Also, if you if you could tell me the output of:
arm-eabi-gcc --version
arm-eabi-gcc --print-multi-lib

Also, note, that I actually have a different target name than
codesourcery's default, for elua you want to have
toolchain=arm-eabi-gcc

Lastly, if you want a pre-built version of the toolchain, I have a version here:
http://fanplastic.org/files/arm-cs-tools.zip

Best.

-jsnyder

> thx.
>
> Best
> Thiago
>

> On Tue, Dec 1, 2009 at 3:24 PM, James Snyder <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>>
>> That output on LM3S suggests that you've encountered a hard fault,
>> which could be a couple of things.
>>
>> I assume you're using the 2009q1 release of codesourcery's tools, from
>> the guide?
>>
>> What version of eLua are you attempting to build? Have you adjusted
>> any configuration parameters or is this straight out of the
>> repository?
>>
>> Based on some recent experience, It may be that your compiler didn't
>> build with multilib support properly enabled and is linking in thumb
>> code instead of thumb2 code, but I believe 2009q1 should build
>> correctly with the instructions that are currently up.
>>
>> If you want to send me your .elf file from the build, I should be able
>> to check if that's happening.
>>
>> Best.
>>
>> -jsnyder
>>
>> On Tue, Dec 1, 2009 at 9:29 AM, Thiago Naves <[hidden email]>
>> wrote:
>> > Hi,
>> > I'm having some trouble trying to program an LM3S8962 ( in a EK-LM3S8962
>> > board from Luminary Micro ).
>> >
>> > I'm using Mac OS X Snow Leopard to build eLua using the toolchain from
>> > this
>> > site:
>> >
>> > http://fanplastic.org/gcc-for-arm-eabi/
>> >
>> > It builds OK, but when I flash it and the open Hyperterminal ( in a
>> > Windows
>> > XP VM in Parallels ) I get ##### instead of eLua # and it ignores
>> > anything I
>> > type...
>> >

>> > Best
>> > Thiago

>> --
>> James Snyder
>> Biomedical Engineering
>> Northwestern University
>> [hidden email]
>> PGP: http://fanplastic.org/key.txt
>> Phone: (847) 448-0386

PGP: http://fanplastic.org/key.txt
Phone: (847) 448-0386

Re: ##### instead of eLua # in Hyperterminal

Fresh build is working for me from downloading a new copy of 2009Q1
through building.

Let me know what the output of those commands gives you.

On Tue, Dec 1, 2009 at 4:31 PM, James Snyder <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Tue, Dec 1, 2009 at 1:31 PM, Thiago Naves <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> I built it with codesourcery 2009q1, just like the tutorial said and haven't
>> modified anything...
>> I built the eLua trunk revision 558...
>
> Just checking...
>

>> I'm sending the .elf too..
>
> Yep, it seems to be building for the wrong instruction set.  I haven't
> had this problem with this particular toolchain version (had it with
> 2009Q3).
>
> I'm doing a fresh build now to double-check that it works from scratch for me.
>
> Can you tell me whether there are thumb and/or thumb2 directories in this path:
> $HOME/arm-cs-tools/lib/gcc/arm-eabi/4.3.3/
>
> Also, if you if you could tell me the output of:
> arm-eabi-gcc --version
> arm-eabi-gcc --print-multi-lib
>
> Also, note, that I actually have a different target name than
> codesourcery's default, for elua you want to have
> toolchain=arm-eabi-gcc
>
> Lastly, if you want a pre-built version of the toolchain, I have a version here:
> http://fanplastic.org/files/arm-cs-tools.zip
>
> Best.
>
> -jsnyder
>

>> thx.
>>
>> Best
>> Thiago
>>

>> On Tue, Dec 1, 2009 at 3:24 PM, James Snyder <[hidden email]>
>> wrote:
>>>
>>> That output on LM3S suggests that you've encountered a hard fault,
>>> which could be a couple of things.
>>>
>>> I assume you're using the 2009q1 release of codesourcery's tools, from
>>> the guide?
>>>
>>> What version of eLua are you attempting to build? Have you adjusted
>>> any configuration parameters or is this straight out of the
>>> repository?
>>>
>>> Based on some recent experience, It may be that your compiler didn't
>>> build with multilib support properly enabled and is linking in thumb
>>> code instead of thumb2 code, but I believe 2009q1 should build
>>> correctly with the instructions that are currently up.
>>>
>>> If you want to send me your .elf file from the build, I should be able
>>> to check if that's happening.
>>>
>>> Best.
>>>
>>> -jsnyder

>>> --
>>> James Snyder
>>> Biomedical Engineering
>>> Northwestern University
>>> [hidden email]
>>> PGP: http://fanplastic.org/key.txt
>>> Phone: (847) 448-0386
>>

> --
> James Snyder
> Biomedical Engineering
> Northwestern University
> [hidden email]
> PGP: http://fanplastic.org/key.txt
> Phone: (847) 448-0386

PGP: http://fanplastic.org/key.txt
Phone: (847) 448-0386
Thiago Naves Thiago Naves

Re: ##### instead of eLua # in Hyperterminal

Hi, sorry for not replying earlier, I had some trouble with my mac, had to reinstall Mac OS and stuff like that....
anyway, those commands gave me this:

arm-eabi-gcc --version
4.3.3

arm-eabi-gcc --print-multi-lib

.;
thumb;@mthumb

in the folder $HOME/arm-cs-tools/lib/gcc/arm-eabi/4.3.3/
I have a thumb folder, but no thumb2....

also I should note that I installed gmp and mpfr through MacPorts....
I tried to install using the makefile ( make install-deps ) but it gave me an error....

I'll test with the built toolchain that you sent the link.....

Best

Thiago

On Wed, Dec 9, 2009 at 8:39 AM, Thiago Naves <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi, sorry for not replying earlier, I had some trouble with my mac, had to
> reinstall Mac OS and stuff like that....
> anyway, those commands gave me this:
> arm-eabi-gcc --version
> 4.3.3
> arm-eabi-gcc --print-multi-lib
> .;
> thumb;@mthumb
> in the folder $HOME/arm-cs-tools/lib/gcc/arm-eabi/4.3.3/
> I have a thumb folder, but no thumb2....

Strange.  I've not had this behavior before with this set of
codesourcery sources.  It should list something like this for the
multi-lib:
.;
thumb;@mthumb
armv6-m;@mthumb@march=armv6-m
thumb2;@mthumb@march=armv7@mfix-cortex-m3-ldrd

> also I should note that I installed gmp and mpfr through MacPorts....
> I tried to install using the makefile ( make install-deps ) but it gave me
> an error....

Hmm.. If you could let me know what error you got there, I can try and
help.  I'm not sure if using the macports versions of those libraries
would result in it giving up on doing a multilib build.  I would
suspect it wouldn't, but I don't know enough about the internals and
requirements of GCC.

I'm currently wondering if perhaps there's an interaction with some
environmental variables you have set for bash (or whichever shell
you're using)?  You could try running through the instructions from a
fresh user account that has appropriate privileges, or looking at
environment variables that could change the build process (CFLAGS,
LDFLAGS, etc..)

> I'll test with the built toolchain that you sent the link.....

That should work, I think.  It's probably actually a 32-bit build
since I did it before Snow Leopard, but I was using it for some time
under 10.6 without trouble.

Thiago Naves Thiago Naves

Re: ##### instead of eLua # in Hyperterminal

Strange.  I've not had this behavior before with this set of
codesourcery sources.  It should list something like this for the
multi-lib:
.;
thumb;@mthumb
armv6-m;@mthumb@march=armv6-m
thumb2;@mthumb@march=armv7@mfix-cortex-m3-ldrd

> also I should note that I installed gmp and mpfr through MacPorts....
> I tried to install using the makefile ( make install-deps ) but it gave me
> an error....

Hmm.. If you could let me know what error you got there, I can try and
help.  I'm not sure if using the macports versions of those libraries
would result in it giving up on doing a multilib build.  I would
suspect it wouldn't, but I don't know enough about the internals and
requirements of GCC.

I uninstalled the libs through mac ports, and now the make install-deps works.
But after the build the problem with thumb2 stays the same....

I'm currently wondering if perhaps there's an interaction with some
environmental variables you have set for bash (or whichever shell
you're using)?  You could try running through the instructions from a
fresh user account that has appropriate privileges, or looking at
environment variables that could change the build process (CFLAGS,
LDFLAGS, etc..)

I haven't tryed the build in a new user, but I will....

> I'll test with the built toolchain that you sent the link.....

That should work, I think.  It's probably actually a 32-bit build
since I did it before Snow Leopard, but I was using it for some time
under 10.6 without trouble.

The toolchain you sent worked ok....

Best

Thiago

> Best
> Thiago
>

> On Tue, Dec 1, 2009 at 9:35 PM, James Snyder <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>>
>> Fresh build is working for me from downloading a new copy of 2009Q1
>> through building.
>>
>> Let me know what the output of those commands gives you.
>>
>> On Tue, Dec 1, 2009 at 4:31 PM, James Snyder <[hidden email]>
>> wrote:
>> >
>> > Just checking...

>> > Yep, it seems to be building for the wrong instruction set.  I haven't
>> > had this problem with this particular toolchain version (had it with
>> > 2009Q3).
>> >
>> > I'm doing a fresh build now to double-check that it works from scratch
>> > for me.
>> >
>> > Can you tell me whether there are thumb and/or thumb2 directories in
>> > this path:
>> > $HOME/arm-cs-tools/lib/gcc/arm-eabi/4.3.3/
>> >
>> > Also, if you if you could tell me the output of:
>> > arm-eabi-gcc --version
>> > arm-eabi-gcc --print-multi-lib
>> >
>> > Also, note, that I actually have a different target name than
>> > codesourcery's default, for elua you want to have
>> > toolchain=arm-eabi-gcc
>> >
>> > Lastly, if you want a pre-built version of the toolchain, I have a
>> > version here:
>> > http://fanplastic.org/files/arm-cs-tools.zip
>> >
>> > Best.
>> >
>> > -jsnyder

>> > --
>> > James Snyder
>> > Biomedical Engineering
>> > Northwestern University
>> > [hidden email]
>> > PGP: http://fanplastic.org/key.txt
>> > Phone: (847) 448-0386
>> >

>> --
>> James Snyder
>> Biomedical Engineering
>> Northwestern University
>> [hidden email]
>> PGP: http://fanplastic.org/key.txt
>> Phone: (847) 448-0386

PGP: http://fanplastic.org/key.txt
Phone: (847) 448-0386
Thiago Naves Thiago Naves

Re: ##### instead of eLua # in Hyperterminal

Just an update:
the make install-deps problem had nothing to do with the libs installed in mac ports...the problem was it was trying to build something with my PSP sdk ..... I just took that out of the way and it built the libs ;)

best

Thiago

On Mon, Dec 21, 2009 at 4:48 PM, Thiago Naves <[hidden email]> wrote:
> [...]

>> > Lastly, if you want a pre-built version of the toolchain, I have a
>> > version here:
>> > http://fanplastic.org/files/arm-cs-tools.zip
>> >
>> > Best.
>> >
>> > -jsnyder

>> > --
>> > James Snyder
>> > Biomedical Engineering
>> > Northwestern University
>> > [hidden email]
>> > PGP: http://fanplastic.org/key.txt
>> > Phone: (847) 448-0386
>> >

>> --
>> James Snyder
>> Biomedical Engineering
>> Northwestern University
>> [hidden email]
>> PGP: http://fanplastic.org/key.txt
>> Phone: (847) 448-0386

PGP: http://fanplastic.org/key.txt
Phone: (847) 448-0386

Re: ##### instead of eLua # in Hyperterminal

Wow, this was funny :) A truly robust project shouldn't even care that you're trying to use the wrong toolchain to build it, it should just work no matter what. We have lots of work to do in this area! :)

On Wed, Dec 23, 2009 at 2:15 AM, Thiago Naves <[hidden email]> wrote:
> [...]

>> > Lastly, if you want a pre-built version of the toolchain, I have a
>> > version here:
>> > http://fanplastic.org/files/arm-cs-tools.zip
>> >
>> > Best.
>> >
>> > -jsnyder

>> > --
>> > James Snyder
>> > Biomedical Engineering
>> > Northwestern University
>> > [hidden email]
>> > PGP: http://fanplastic.org/key.txt
>> > Phone: (847) 448-0386
>> >

>> --
>> James Snyder
>> Biomedical Engineering
>> Northwestern University
>> [hidden email]
>> PGP: http://fanplastic.org/key.txt
>> Phone: (847) 448-0386

PGP: http://fanplastic.org/key.txt
Phone: (847) 448-0386

Re: ##### instead of eLua # in Hyperterminal

I'll get right on it. First, I'll make sure that we're working with a
PDP-8 toolchain ;-)

On Thu, Dec 24, 2009 at 00:35, James Snyder <[hidden email]> wrote:
I'll get right on it. First, I'll make sure that we're working with a
PDP-8 toolchain ;-)

:) :) :) AFAICR, the programs were read from a noisy teletype punched tape reader, with Baudot coded on them :) :)
I still have a couple of those tapes with data and one of them has a Basic compiler :) :)
We should find some time to make an eLua module for this reader one of these days then :-o :)

Merry Christmas to you all !!!