http://new.eluaproject.net/overview/status

Martin Guy Martin Guy

http://new.eluaproject.net/overview/status

What does it take for a newly supported feature to transition from an
orange blob to a green tick?

Re: http://new.eluaproject.net/overview/status

Hi,

On Tue, Jun 7, 2011 at 6:13 AM, Martin Guy <[hidden email]> wrote:
What does it take for a newly supported feature to transition from an
orange blob to a green tick?

1. implement it :)
2. test it. Nothing formally defined here (yet), just use your common sense. For example, an I2C interface could be marked as "testing" if it is able to communicate with a device attached to it in both write and read modes. And yes, I know that "use your common sense" basically means asking for trouble big time, we're working on that  by trying to define at least a semi-formal test plan.

Re: http://new.eluaproject.net/overview/status

On Tue, Jun 7, 2011 at 1:25 AM, Bogdan Marinescu
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> On Tue, Jun 7, 2011 at 6:13 AM, Martin Guy <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> What does it take for a newly supported feature to transition from an
>> orange blob to a green tick?
>
> 1. implement it :)
> 2. test it. Nothing formally defined here (yet), just use your common sense.
> For example, an I2C interface could be marked as "testing" if it is able to
> communicate with a device attached to it in both write and read modes. And
> yes, I know that "use your common sense" basically means asking for trouble
> big time, we're working on that  by trying to define at least a semi-formal
> test plan.

This was a question I was clearly happy to have Bogdan answer first ;-)

Going from red to orange/yellow would be implement it.  Then 2 would
be basic testing (does it work with at least a few devices the are
available to the developer, under a few common use cases).  Generally
I will at least ask other people as well to at least confirm that it's
working for at least one of their use cases but there are probably
some things that make their way to getting a check mark before getting
extensive testing.  Ideally this would be a bit more rigorous, maybe
with at least some notes or a protocol written as the first platform
adds a peripheral so that subsequent platforms can be tested with
similar devices and hardware (assuming they're available to the
developer working with that hardware).

Perhaps having some more formal level of certification could be nice
(check-plus) could be nice when a vendor or someone else wishes to
test something with a more extensive battery given that they're
willing to acquire various bits of test hardware and run through a
larger test set?

<[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Tue, Jun 7, 2011 at 6:13 AM, Martin Guy <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> What does it take for a newly supported feature to transition from an
>> orange blob to a green tick?
>
> 1. implement it :)
> 2. test it. Nothing formally defined here (yet), just use your common sense.
> For example, an I2C interface could be marked as "testing" if it is able to
> communicate with a device attached to it in both write and read modes. And
> yes, I know that "use your common sense" basically means asking for trouble
> big time, we're working on that  by trying to define at least a semi-formal
> test plan.

This was a question I was clearly happy to have Bogdan answer first ;-)

Going from red to orange/yellow would be implement it.  Then 2 would
be basic testing (does it work with at least a few devices the are
available to the developer, under a few common use cases).  Generally
I will at least ask other people as well to at least confirm that it's
working for at least one of their use cases but there are probably
some things that make their way to getting a check mark before getting
extensive testing.  Ideally this would be a bit more rigorous, maybe
with at least some notes or a protocol written as the first platform
adds a peripheral so that subsequent platforms can be tested with
similar devices and hardware (assuming they're available to the
developer working with that hardware).

Perhaps having some more formal level of certification could be nice
(check-plus) could be nice when a vendor or someone else wishes to
test something with a more extensive battery given that they're
willing to acquire various bits of test hardware and run through a
larger test set?

I agree that the current scheme is pretty vague and we should refine it.
Maybe more "levels" for the status would help it too.
Also, to have some letter-code or even numbers could improve over the color-based status today (at least for a Daltonian like myself :)

Martin Guy Martin Guy

Re: http://new.eluaproject.net/overview/status

> I agree that the current scheme is pretty vague and we should refine it.
> Maybe more "levels" for the status would help it too.

Or less, seeing that orange and yellow mean the same thing (i.e. "is"
instead of "isn't")

   M.

Re: http://new.eluaproject.net/overview/status

Yeah. I'm not sure I would add intermediate levels of status. There's no reason to make it more confusing :)

I also support using a less color-oriented scheme for status as well seeing as I'm also partly color-blind.

http://fanplastic.org/key.txt
ph: (847) 448-0386