how to download lua files?

Elmo Quinn Elmo Quinn

how to download lua files?

I have downloaded the eLua binary to a development board (ET-TM32 STAMP). This all worked fine.
I can use the shell to do some interactive Lua programming.

I then used "recv" command to download (via XMODEM) and execute some sample programs (e.g. info.lua). This also works correctly.

But here is my question - How do I download a lua file so that it stays in flash on the target board. The "recv" command simply downloads and executes. When I do a "ls" command, the file is not in the /rom directory. How do I get a file onto the board so that it is permanently stored in the flash file system?

I know there must be a simple answer but I can't find it on the web site documentation.

Thanks

Henri

Re: how to download lua files?

Hi,

On Mon, Jun 11, 2012 at 5:49 AM, Elmo Quinn <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I have downloaded the eLua binary to a development board (ET-TM32 STAMP).
> This all worked fine.
> I can use the shell to do some interactive Lua programming.
>
> I then used "recv" command to download (via XMODEM) and execute some sample
> programs (e.g. info.lua). This also works correctly.
>
> But here is my question - How do I download a lua file so that it stays in
> flash on the target board. The "recv" command simply downloads and executes.
> When I do a "ls" command, the file is not in the /rom directory. How do I
> get a file onto the board so that it is permanently stored in the flash file
> system?
>
> I know there must be a simple answer but I can't find it on the web site
> documentation.

You can't put it in ROM, as currently the ROM file system is
read-only. If you have a SD/MMC card on your board, you could simply
do:

# recv /mmc/myfile.lua

> Thanks
>
> Henri

Marcus Vinicius Costa Marcus Vinicius Costa

Re: how to download lua files?

Hi Henry,

You can use the web builder to put files no rom too (http://builder.eluaproject.net/web/start.lua?control=user&act=index).

If your board have a sd card you can copy your files using a PC directly or use the commad  "recv /mmc/file.lua" but in official eLua binary (version 0.8) this command not work correctly only master git version works (https://github.com/elua/elua).

Marcus

2012/6/11 Bogdan Marinescu <[hidden email]>
Hi,

On Mon, Jun 11, 2012 at 5:49 AM, Elmo Quinn <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I have downloaded the eLua binary to a development board (ET-TM32 STAMP).
> This all worked fine.
> I can use the shell to do some interactive Lua programming.
>
> I then used "recv" command to download (via XMODEM) and execute some sample
> programs (e.g. info.lua). This also works correctly.
>
> But here is my question - How do I download a lua file so that it stays in
> flash on the target board. The "recv" command simply downloads and executes.
> When I do a "ls" command, the file is not in the /rom directory. How do I
> get a file onto the board so that it is permanently stored in the flash file
> system?
>
> I know there must be a simple answer but I can't find it on the web site
> documentation.

You can't put it in ROM, as currently the ROM file system is
read-only. If you have a SD/MMC card on your board, you could simply
do:

# recv /mmc/myfile.lua

> Thanks
>
> Henri

Elmo Quinn Elmo Quinn

Re: how to download lua files?

Hi Bogdan
Thanks for your reply.

Basically all I want to do is create a lua script program, and download it to the target board so that the target board executes the program when it is reset.

If I understand your reply and the documentation on line, the only ways I can download the new lua script for running on the target board are
1. use the recv command (but this doesn't store the program on the target)
2. re-build the binary incorporating the program and send the whole lot to the target (messy and time consuming)
3. use a local SD/MMC card (my target doesn't have one)
4. Use remote file system (awkward and won't allow the board to execute.

Is the above correct?

Gary

On Mon, Jun 11, 2012 at 5:49 AM, Elmo Quinn <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I have downloaded the eLua binary to a development board (ET-TM32 STAMP).
> This all worked fine.
> I can use the shell to do some interactive Lua programming.
>
> I then used "recv" command to download (via XMODEM) and execute some sample
> programs (e.g. info.lua). This also works correctly.
>
> But here is my question - How do I download a lua file so that it stays in
> flash on the target board. The "recv" command simply downloads and executes.
> When I do a "ls" command, the file is not in the /rom directory. How do I
> get a file onto the board so that it is permanently stored in the flash file
> system?
>
> I know there must be a simple answer but I can't find it on the web site
> documentation.

You can't put it in ROM, as currently the ROM file system is
read-only. If you have a SD/MMC card on your board, you could simply
do:

# recv /mmc/myfile.lua

> Thanks
>
> Henri

Re: how to download lua files?

Hi,

On Wed, Jun 13, 2012 at 1:24 PM, Elmo Quinn <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Bogdan
> Thanks for your reply.
>
> Basically all I want to do is create a lua script program, and download it
> to the target board so that the target board executes the program when it is
> reset.
>
> If I understand your reply and the documentation on line, the only ways I
> can download the new lua script for running on the target board are
> 1. use the recv command (but this doesn't store the program on the target)

True.

> 2. re-build the binary incorporating the program and send the whole lot to
> the target (messy and time consuming)

True.

> 3. use a local SD/MMC card (my target doesn't have one)

True (and sorry about that).

> 4. Use remote file system (awkward and won't allow the board to execute.

Awkward, maybe :) But won't allow the board to execute? I don't
understand this part. Execute what?

> Is the above correct?

> Gary
>

> ________________________________

Elmo Quinn Elmo Quinn

Re: how to download lua files?

On Wed, Jun 13, 2012 at 1:24 PM, Elmo Quinn <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Bogdan
> Thanks for your reply.
>
> Basically all I want to do is create a lua script program, and download it
> to the target board so that the target board executes the program when it is
> reset.
>
> If I understand your reply and the documentation on line, the only ways I
> can download the new lua script for running on the target board are
> 1. use the recv command (but this doesn't store the program on the target)

True.

> 2. re-build the binary incorporating the program and send the whole lot to
> the target (messy and time consuming)

True.

> 3. use a local SD/MMC card (my target doesn't have one)

True (and sorry about that).

> 4. Use remote file system (awkward and won't allow the board to execute.

Awkward, maybe :) But won't allow the board to execute? I don't
understand this part. Execute what?

====
...Execute the Lua program I've developed!

Sorry, as stated above, all I want to do is develop a Lua program, download it to the target board, and have it stay there (in flash) so that the target board can execute it at any time (eg after a reset).... In the eLua system there doesn't seem a straightforward way to do this.

Perhaps I'll look at the eLua project again at some time in the future when this is possible.

Regards

Gary

> Is the above correct?

> Gary
>

> ________________________________

Martin Guy Martin Guy

Re: how to download lua files?

On 13 June 2012 12:47, Bogdan Marinescu <[hidden email]> wrote:

>> Basically all I want to do is create a lua script program, and download it
>> to the target board so that the target board executes the program when it is
>> reset.

To do this, you need to write your program into "autoexec.bat" on some device.

You have no writable areas on your target device; neither eLua not the
eLua shell are currently able to reprogram the board's flash memory.
In theory it is possible; it is just a small matter of programming in
C and would certainly be a Good Thing.

Martin Guy Martin Guy

Re: how to download lua files?

On 13 June 2012 14:09, Elmo Quinn <[hidden email]> wrote:
> all I want to do is develop a Lua program, download
> it to the target board, and have it stay there (in flash) so that the target
> board can execute it at any time (eg after a reset).... In the eLua system
> there doesn't seem a straightforward way to do this.

That's easy. Use a board with SD card, like the Mizar32
simplemachines.it/mizar32
If you use the Go@ (GoAT) IDE, while developing you can download and
run the program by pressing a single button (F5, is it?) then when the
program is right just download it to autorun.lua on the SD card.
Does it get any easier? :)

Re: how to download lua files?

On Wed, Jun 13, 2012 at 3:09 PM, Elmo Quinn <[hidden email]> wrote:

> ________________________________
> From: Bogdan Marinescu <[hidden email]>

RFS allows you to do that. True, it still won't be saved in Flash.

> Sorry, as stated above, all I want to do is develop a Lua program, download
> it to the target board, and have it stay there (in flash) so that the target
> board can execute it at any time (eg after a reset).... In the eLua system
> there doesn't seem a straightforward way to do this.

There is none at the moment, you are right.

> Perhaps I'll look at the eLua project again at some time in the future when
> this is possible.

Thank you for your feedback. Perhaps I should implement a quick&dirty
FS for this kind of stuff ... A full R/W filesystem on the internal
Flash has to fight a number of limitations on various devices, but a
more restricted R/W FS shouldn't be that hard to implement.

> Regards
>
> Gary
>

> Best,
> Bogdan
>

>> Is the above correct?
>

>> Gary
>>

>> ________________________________

Elmo Quinn Elmo Quinn

Re: how to download lua files?

Bogdan

Even a "quick and dirty" file system would be a highly useful addition if it would allow a user's program to be downloaded easily to the target board.

(To Martin) - Yes, I am aware that if you have an SD card on your target board (eg Mizar32), then this is not a problem - see point 3 in my original post. However, many of the target boards listed on the eLua's website do not have SD cards.

I became aware of Lua while programming Celestia. It seems an interesting and efficient language,  and I would like to use it in embedded applications. Being able to download a user's program is a pretty important functionality to add, especially since there are so many alternative boards one can use.

BTW - by the time I add freighting outside Europe, I can buy 2 or 3 Arduino's or R Pie's for the price of a Mizar32.

On Wed, Jun 13, 2012 at 3:09 PM, Elmo Quinn <[hidden email]> wrote:

> ________________________________
> From: Bogdan Marinescu <[hidden email]>

Martin Guy Martin Guy

Re: how to download lua files?

On 14 June 2012 05:42, Elmo Quinn <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Even a "quick and dirty" file system would be a highly useful addition if it
> would allow a user's program to be downloaded easily to the target board.
Absolutely agree. Who'll write it?

> BTW - by the time I add freighting outside Europe, I can buy 2 or 3
> Arduino's or R Pie's for the price of a Mizar32.

This gives us a price advantage in the EU but canes us when we buy
Martin Guy Martin Guy

Re: how to download lua files?

On 14 June 2012 05:56, Martin Guy <[hidden email]> wrote:
> On 14 June 2012 05:42, Elmo Quinn <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Even a "quick and dirty" file system would be a highly useful addition if it
>> would allow a user's program to beom  downloaded easily to the target board.
> Absolutely agree. Who'll write it?
>
>> BTW - by the time I add freighting outside Europe, I can buy 2 or 3
>> Arduino's or R Pie's for the price of a Mizar32.
>
> This gives us a price advantage in the EU but canes us when we buy

...from America. For me, we should abolish the whole customs thing worldwide.

Re: how to download lua files?

On Thu, Jun 14, 2012 at 6:42 AM, Elmo Quinn <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Bogdan
>
> Even a "quick and dirty" file system would be a highly useful addition if it
> would allow a user's program to be downloaded easily to the target board.

You're perfectly right. And, in order to prove that you're perfectly
right, I'll get right on it :) I'm already putting some ideas on
paper.

Elmo Quinn Elmo Quinn

Re: how to download lua files?

On Thu, Jun 14, 2012 at 6:42 AM, Elmo Quinn <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Bogdan
>
> Even a "quick and dirty" file system would be a highly useful addition if it
> would allow a user's program to be downloaded easily to the target board.

You're perfectly right. And, in order to prove that you're perfectly
right, I'll get right on it :) I'm already putting some ideas on
paper.

Thanks Bogdan, that would be great!

> (To Martin) - Yes, I am aware that if you have an SD card on your target
> board (eg Mizar32), then this is not a problem - see point 3 in my original
> post. However, many of the target boards listed on the eLua's website do not
> have SD cards.
>
> I became aware of Lua while programming Celestia. It seems an interesting
> and efficient language,  and I would like to use it in embedded
> applications. Being able to download a user's program is a pretty important
> functionality to add, especially since there are so many alternative boards
> one can use.
>
> BTW - by the time I add freighting outside Europe, I can buy 2 or 3
> Arduino's or R Pie's for the price of a Mizar32.
>
> Best,
> Bogdan
>

> ________________________________
> From: Bogdan Marinescu <[hidden email]>

Re: how to download lua files?

On Fri, Jun 15, 2012 at 2:27 AM, Elmo Quinn <[hidden email]> wrote:

> ________________________________
> From: Bogdan Marinescu <[hidden email]>

It's coming. Not 100% there yet, but it's happening :)

> Best,
> Bogdan
>

>> (To Martin) - Yes, I am aware that if you have an SD card on your target
>> board (eg Mizar32), then this is not a problem - see point 3 in my
>> original
>> post. However, many of the target boards listed on the eLua's website do
>> not
>> have SD cards.
>>
>> I became aware of Lua while programming Celestia. It seems an interesting
>> and efficient language,  and I would like to use it in embedded
>> applications. Being able to download a user's program is a pretty
>> important
>> functionality to add, especially since there are so many alternative
>> boards
>> one can use.
>>
>> BTW - by the time I add freighting outside Europe, I can buy 2 or 3
>> Arduino's or R Pie's for the price of a Mizar32.
>>
>> Best,
>> Bogdan
>>

>> ________________________________
>> From: Bogdan Marinescu <[hidden email]>

Re: how to download lua files?

Hi Elmo,

On Fri, Jun 15, 2012 at 2:27 AM, Elmo Quinn <[hidden email]> wrote:

> From: Bogdan Marinescu <[hidden email]>

Could you please build the master branch for ET-STM32 and let me know
how the new filesystem is working for you ? It is mounted under /wo.
You should be able to do things like:

# recv /wo/fille.lua

then use file.lua as you like.