hi, stm32 DAC

Jason Neudorf Jason Neudorf

hi, stm32 DAC

Hi All,

Just subscribed today.  I've been playing with the ETM-STM32 stamp
from Futurlec, and have gotten some proof-of-concept code running to
control the DC level of the DACs on PA4 and PA5.  It probably doesn't
meet any coding guidelines, but is there anyplace that I should post
it as a starting point for others?

Jason
King, Mike King, Mike

Re: hi, stm32 DAC

> Just subscribed today.  I've been playing with the ETM-STM32 stamp
> from Futurlec, and have gotten some proof-of-concept code running to
> control the DC level of the DACs on PA4 and PA5.  It probably doesn't
> meet any coding guidelines, but is there anyplace that I should post
> it as a starting point for others?

The eLua project has recently switched to using GIT.  The git repository
is on github.  Check out the recent post (listed below) by Bogdan on what to do.

https://lists.berlios.de/pipermail/elua-dev/2011-March/002088.html

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: This e-mail message, including any attachments, is for the sole use of the intended recipient(s) and may contain information that is confidential or proprietary to K&L Microwave, Inc. Any unauthorized review, use, disclosure or distribution is prohibited.
If this communication has been transmitted from a U.S. location it may also contain data subject to the International Traffic in Arms Regulations or U.S. Export Administration Regulations and, if so, cannot be disseminated, distributed or copied to foreign nationals, residing in the U.S. or abroad, without the prior approval of the U.S. Department of State or appropriate export licensing authority. If you have received this communication in error, please notify the sender by reply e-mail and delete or destroy all copies of this e-mail message and/or any file attachment(s).

Re: hi, stm32 DAC

On Thu, Mar 3, 2011 at 6:15 PM, King, Mike <[hidden email]> wrote:

>> Just subscribed today.  I've been playing with the ETM-STM32 stamp
>> from Futurlec, and have gotten some proof-of-concept code running to
>> control the DC level of the DACs on PA4 and PA5.  It probably doesn't
>> meet any coding guidelines, but is there anyplace that I should post
>> it as a starting point for others?
>
> The eLua project has recently switched to using GIT.  The git repository
> is on github.  Check out the recent post (listed below) by Bogdan on what to do.
>
> https://lists.berlios.de/pipermail/elua-dev/2011-March/002088.html

Thanks, Mike. I believe that Jason was asking for something a bit
different. Usually, when there is new code to be added to eLua we take
it in the form of a patch and analyze it. Maybe we should consider
reserving some space on the wiki for stuff like this.

King, Mike King, Mike

Re: hi, stm32 DAC

>>> Just subscribed today.  I've been playing with the ETM-STM32 stamp
>>> from Futurlec, and have gotten some proof-of-concept code running to
>>> control the DC level of the DACs on PA4 and PA5.  It probably doesn't
>>> meet any coding guidelines, but is there anyplace that I should post
>>> it as a starting point for others?
>>
>> The eLua project has recently switched to using GIT.  The git repository
>> is on github.  Check out the recent post (listed below) by Bogdan on what to do.
>>
>> https://lists.berlios.de/pipermail/elua-dev/2011-March/002088.html

> Thanks, Mike. I believe that Jason was asking for something a bit
> different. Usually, when there is new code to be added to eLua we take
> it in the form of a patch and analyze it. Maybe we should consider
> reserving some space on the wiki for stuff like this.

Would it be better to have public repositories on github for the developers?
For example, I currently have 8 modified files and one new one.  If I
"push" my changes to github then you could "pull" my changes into the official
eLua repository?  I'm still learning git so I could be totally confused.

On Thu, Mar 3, 2011 at 8:28 PM, King, Mike <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Would it be better to have public repositories on github for the developers?
> For example, I currently have 8 modified files and one new one.  If I
> "push" my changes to github then you could "pull" my changes into the official
> eLua repository?  I'm still learning git so I could be totally confused.

I think you might be looking for this:

http://help.github.com/pull-requests/

King, Mike King, Mike

Re: hi, stm32 DAC

>> Would it be better to have public repositories on github for the developers?
>> For example, I currently have 8 modified files and one new one.  If I
>> "push" my changes to github then you could "pull" my changes into the official
>> eLua repository?  I'm still learning git so I could be totally confused.

> I think you might be looking for this:

> http://help.github.com/pull-requests/

That page mentions that they are two popular models of collaborative development
on GitHub. Are you using one of those models?  I assume you'll still accept patch
files but is that really the preferred model?

[...]

Exactly...  While I don't think we've made an official recommended
approach for this yet, doing pull requests where a developer makes a
personal public fork, does work in it, decides that that work is ready
to go back upstream, and then makes a pull request is one of the
nicely supported ways that users can contribute and get code review on
github without having to submit things in raw patch form.

If one must send things in patch format, I'd recommend using
git-format-patch which will include enough additional information in
the patch itself so that when applied git will know what relevant
versions are involved in the patch and will also apply relevant
attribution and creation time/date when merged.  Similar things
regarding attribution and keeping track of where revisions belong
apply to the pull request approach mentioned by Bogdan, with the
exception that the pull request approach automates some more things
and provides a nice web GUI for keeping track fo the process.

-jsnyder

On Thu, Mar 3, 2011 at 12:32 PM, Bogdan Marinescu
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Thu, Mar 3, 2011 at 8:28 PM, King, Mike <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Would it be better to have public repositories on github for the developers?
>> For example, I currently have 8 modified files and one new one.  If I
>> "push" my changes to github then you could "pull" my changes into the official
>> eLua repository?  I'm still learning git so I could be totally confused.
>
> I think you might be looking for this:
>
> http://help.github.com/pull-requests/
>
> Best,
> Bogdan

PGP: http://fanplastic.org/key.txt
Phone: (847) 448-0386

Re: hi, stm32 DAC

On Thu, Mar 3, 2011 at 8:43 PM, King, Mike <[hidden email]> wrote:
> That page mentions that they are two popular models of collaborative development
> on GitHub. Are you using one of those models?  I assume you'll still accept patch
> files but is that really the preferred model?

That would be the first model (fork + pull requests).

King, Mike King, Mike

Re: hi, stm32 DAC

>> That page mentions that they are two popular models of collaborative development
>> on GitHub. Are you using one of those models?  I assume you'll still accept patch
>> files but is that really the preferred model?

> That would be the first model (fork + pull requests).

Then Jason Neudorf should fork on GitHub and not put the code on the wiki, right?
Also, the eLua maintainers will still accept patches from people who don't want to
use git and/or GitHub, right?

On Thu, Mar 3, 2011 at 8:59 PM, King, Mike <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>> That page mentions that they are two popular models of collaborative development
>>> on GitHub. Are you using one of those models?  I assume you'll still accept patch
>>> files but is that really the preferred model?
>
>> That would be the first model (fork + pull requests).
>
> Then Jason Neudorf should fork on GitHub and not put the code on the wiki, right?

That's debatable. His original question was not if he can submit his
code, rather if he can put it somewhere to serve at a starting point
for others. I believe a wiki is generally better for this kind of
colaboration. Of course this is also a question of personal
preference.

> Also, the eLua maintainers will still accept patches from people who don't want to
> use git and/or GitHub, right?

Yes, but we do encourage people to use git in general and github in
particular. The thing with git is that it makes merging quite a
painless process. Needless to say, we like that :)

Re: hi, stm32 DAC

On Thu, Mar 3, 2011 at 16:09, Bogdan Marinescu <[hidden email]> wrote:
On Thu, Mar 3, 2011 at 8:59 PM, King, Mike <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>> That page mentions that they are two popular models of collaborative development
>>> on GitHub. Are you using one of those models?  I assume you'll still accept patch
>>> files but is that really the preferred model?
>
>> That would be the first model (fork + pull requests).
>
> Then Jason Neudorf should fork on GitHub and not put the code on the wiki, right?

That's debatable. His original question was not if he can submit his
code, rather if he can put it somewhere to serve at a starting point
for others. I believe a wiki is generally better for this kind of
colaboration. Of course this is also a question of personal
preference.

I would also try to make it as simple as possible to Jason to start to collaborate.
If he is already familiar with github or is ready to make an effort to learn some Fun stuff, the best way to go is definitely:
1 - Create a personal account at github
2 - Fork eLua and add his own work for this port
3 - Mention this here on the list, to get help eventually and to have Watchers on his repo too
4 - Send us (eLua @github) a Pull Request when he things he has something nice to be added to the main project.

In case Jason (or anyone else) prefers to show his work on some source code text format, please note that we are NOT using Github's Wiki, for the simple reason we have enough Wikis already :)
The official eLua Users Wiki is at wiki.eluaproject.net (based on MoinMoin) but for development-related issues and brainstorming, we've been successfully using the Tracker Wiki at tracker.eluaproject.net (based on Redmine).

Jason, is any of these acceptable for you ?

> Also, the eLua maintainers will still accept patches from people who don't want to
> use git and/or GitHub, right?

Yes, but we do encourage people to use git in general and github in
particular. The thing with git is that it makes merging quite a
painless process. Needless to say, we like that :)

Yes, we'll do our best to receive contributions of all kind, encouraging people to use more and more github.