elua source repos?

Björn Kalkbrenner Björn Kalkbrenner

elua source repos?

Hello!

first of all, thank you for the great project!

I tried elua some month ago when the mbed was first supported, now i am
trying to dive into it a little bit more due to the fact that the
stm32f4 discovery seems to be also supported. In the future i want to
use elua on mbed/lpcxpresso1769, stm32expander and stm32f4 discovery.

But - i am a little bit confused about the different source trees which
have been forked and which are around.

As i have understood correctly, the "important" git repos are:

Main elua git: git://github.com/elua/elua.git
omnima stm32expander git fork: git://github.com/omnima/elua.git
elua dev?: git://github.com/jsnyder/elua.git
stm32 f1/f2/f4 fork: git://github.com/jsnyder/elua.git (bikeNomad-master)

Reading https://github.com/elua/elua/network and the blog it seems that
- bikeNomad master (stm32f4) was merged into the jsnyder
git/bikeNomad-master
- omnima stm32expander seems to be just old and is not in sync with
master and doesn't seem to be merged with the master (?)
- jsnyder seems to be the most active git repository (?)

Does that mean that i have to pull all trees and merge and patch them
manually in the future? Are changes from jsnyder updated in the main
elua repo or are they different repos/branches?

I am just a little bit confused and hope someone can give me a cleaner
view of the situation.

Bye and thanks
Björn Kalkbrenner

Re: elua source repos?

Hello list,
   (and I'm very pleased to be able to say it again, after over a year of health issues, that are becoming history now)
   Sorry for the absence, thanks for the patience and the confidence with the project.
   Yes, there are repos' and some more serious issues, that we really plan to attack now, with the help of you all. Björn message sounds like a good place to start, I have a bunch of other notes to put some priorities with all the community and we also (finally) have a draft of a roadmap to present soon too.
   Some comments on Björn's message below...

On Sat, Dec 29, 2012 at 7:24 PM, Björn Kalkbrenner <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hello!

first of all, thank you for the great project!

Thanksssss

I tried elua some month ago when the mbed was first supported, now i am trying to dive into it a little bit more due to the fact that the stm32f4 discovery seems to be also supported. In the future i want to use elua on mbed/lpcxpresso1769, stm32expander and stm32f4 discovery.

Nice. I'm sure you're not alone in your choices.

But - i am a little bit confused about the different source trees which have been forked and which are around.

As i have understood correctly, the "important" git repos are:

Main elua git: git://github.com/elua/elua.git

Yes, this is the one and only "official" repo of the project, if the git model allow us to call it this way.
Accepted pull requests will always be merged to this repo, be it on master or on some other branch for some reason.

omnima stm32expander git fork: git://github.com/omnima/elua.git
elua dev?: git://github.com/jsnyder/elua.git
stm32 f1/f2/f4 fork: git://github.com/jsnyder/elua.git (bikeNomad-master)

Reading https://github.com/elua/elua/network and the blog it seems that
- bikeNomad master (stm32f4) was merged into the jsnyder git/bikeNomad-master
- omnima stm32expander seems to be just old and is not in sync with master and doesn't seem to be merged with the master (?)
- jsnyder seems to be the most active git repository (?)

James Snyder has been one of the greatest contributors to the project since the start of it. We actually consider him as almost an Author now and this should/will be reflected on our doc too.
A lot of work has been done this year but not always in a well coordinated way. This led to James, Bogdan, SimpleMachines' guys, just to mention a few, to end up working on repos of their choices.
We should go back ASAP to the Pull Request model that git suggests and merge all these efforts to master.

Does that mean that i have to pull all trees and merge and patch them manually in the future?

No, this should not be a burden task for the user community.

Are changes from jsnyder updated in the main elua repo or are they different repos/branches?

They are slowly being merged to the pre0.9 branch on  git://github.com/elua/elua.git and this will become master when we release v0.9

I am just a little bit confused and hope someone can give me a cleaner view of the situation.

Not your fault, this is my bad, thank you for the heads up and for raising this. I hope you and all the community can continue to contribute cause we're committed to correct these issues.

This should not happen again in the future as one of the roadmap's plans is to (finally) adopt a "release soon release often" model, where there will be much less changes between the versions. The work for the v0.9 has already begun but unfortunately, due to the issues you've raised, we have a lot of work to merge, test, document and release it.

Bye and thanks
Björn Kalkbrenner

Thank you
And again, thank you all for the support!!!