eLuaMIDI

Hello eLuers,
   Thiago Naves is developing a Lua Module that implements a MIDI protocol API for eLua.
   It is hosted in Google Code @ https://code.google.com/p/eluamidi/ and we'll be glad to grant commit access for those who want to collaborate.

Re: eLuaMIDI

Very cool! I've been thinking about something like this too, but my MIDI knowledge is quite limited. I'm willing to help as much as possible with the coding part, so we can get some serious music out of eLua :)

On Thu, Jan 28, 2010 at 2:12 AM, Dado Sutter <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hello eLuers,
   Thiago Naves is developing a Lua Module that implements a MIDI protocol API for eLua.
   It is hosted in Google Code @ https://code.google.com/p/eluamidi/ and we'll be glad to grant commit access for those who want to collaborate.

Re: eLuaMIDI

Hi there,

On Thu, Jan 28, 2010 at 07:32, Bogdan Marinescu <[hidden email]> wrote:
Very cool! I've been thinking about something like this too, but my MIDI knowledge is quite limited.

Couldn't be easier. And this is why you have other (harder) stuff to concentrate on :)

I'm willing to help as much as possible with the coding part, so we can get some serious music out of eLua :)

Yeahhhh ! :) :)

We've launched / opened the code yesterday, exactly to get some help with it, as I'm very glad Thiago came up with this (it was totally his idea from the start) in a very short time. But I also need him for some other important stuff (==eLua :) on the Lab too.
We'll definetely make a lot of noise very soon !!!

Man, I really miss talking to you every day in Rio now (no, this is not gay, for once :-o ). This whole think will turn into something big very very soon and I can feel it. I don't want it to explode and explode ourselves too, because it even has the potential to do this too, if we don't take care. But I'm sure it's going to cause a lot of little and nice explosions along the year, blowing the lazyness of PUC-Rio, the boredom of iPhone apps away from our kingdom.  If I can only survive for some more months, .......... I know it's comming.
Stay ready Master.

Abraçooooooooooooooo
Dado

On Thu, Jan 28, 2010 at 1:24 PM, Dado Sutter <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...] the boredom of iPhone apps away from our kingdom.

Thanks for disclosing what I have to do for a living to the whole eLua community, I'm sure I look extremely cool in their eyes right now.
I would like to take this opportunity to announce that Dado is no longer part of the eLua team. He'll probably be replaced by a monkey who will receive extensive "take a good look at the 'To:' field before sending an e-mail" training before starting on the job.
Sorry for hijacking this thread, the opportunity was just too funny to miss :)

On Thu, Jan 28, 2010 at 2:12 AM, Dado Sutter <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hello eLuers,
   Thiago Naves is developing a Lua Module that implements a MIDI protocol API for eLua.
   It is hosted in Google Code @ https://code.google.com/p/eluamidi/ and we'll be glad to grant commit access for those who want to collaborate.

Re: eLuaMIDI

Hello guys,
   Damn, a monkey would indeed find better words to apologise for this, I'm really sorry.
   It was meant to be a pvt msg and you all know, they all have their specific language and context :(
   We've been working really hard and the lack of sleep is my best hint for my mistake.
   Bogdan's iPhone apps are going to be history very soon, if we all keep working hard for eLua.
   Please keep only the funny part of all of this, to laugh out loud on my stupidity :-o :) and forget all the rest.

On Thu, Jan 28, 2010 at 09:44, Bogdan Marinescu <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Vaughan McAlley Vaughan McAlley

Re: eLuaMIDI

I’m working on an algorithm (in Lua) to process MIDI data, mainly to
do with tuning. The reason I joined this list was that eventually I
want to move it from my Mac to an embedded board, but I want to get
the algorithm right first...

So I know Lua and MIDI pretty well, but not much about embedded
boards. I understand what you’re trying to do with eLuaMIDI.

One thing I’ve found is that MIDI messages fit very neatly into Lua
strings, as embedded zeros are allowed. This allows you to parse
messages using the string library. For example, instead of lines
364-370 (validating sysex messages):

-- Validate data ( i.e look for bytes with the bit #7 set )
  for i=1, string.len( data ) do
    if string.byte( string.sub( data, i, i) ) > 127 then
      error( "Error: Invalid byte in data pos " .. i .. "\n" )
      return false
    end
  end

... you could use string.find:

local i = string.find(data, "[\128-\255]")
if i then
    error( "Error: Invalid byte in data pos " .. i .. "\n" )
    return false
end

Cheers,
Vaughan

On 28 January 2010 20:32, Bogdan Marinescu <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Very cool! I've been thinking about something like this too, but my MIDI
> knowledge is quite limited. I'm willing to help as much as possible with the
> coding part, so we can get some serious music out of eLua :)
>
> Best,
> Bogdan
>
> On Thu, Jan 28, 2010 at 2:12 AM, Dado Sutter <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Hello eLuers,
>>    Thiago Naves is developing a Lua Module that implements a MIDI protocol
>> API for eLua.
>>    It is hosted in Google Code @ https://code.google.com/p/eluamidi/ and
>> we'll be glad to grant commit access for those who want to collaborate.
>>
>> Best
>> Dado

Re: eLuaMIDI

Good luck with your project! I can't wait to see (well, hear) some eLua music, so I can finally tell everybody "eLua is music to my ears!" :) Of course, there's already piano.lua (and I can actually play part of the "Afraid to Shoot Strangers" solo with it :) ) but MIDI is much, much cooler.
Also of course, we'll help along the way if you need any kind of support from the project itself (new features, bug fixes, stuff like this).

On Wed, Feb 3, 2010 at 5:00 AM, Vaughan McAlley <[hidden email]> wrote:
I’m working on an algorithm (in Lua) to process MIDI data, mainly to
do with tuning. The reason I joined this list was that eventually I
want to move it from my Mac to an embedded board, but I want to get
the algorithm right first...

So I know Lua and MIDI pretty well, but not much about embedded
boards. I understand what you’re trying to do with eLuaMIDI.

One thing I’ve found is that MIDI messages fit very neatly into Lua
strings, as embedded zeros are allowed. This allows you to parse
messages using the string library. For example, instead of lines
364-370 (validating sysex messages):

-- Validate data ( i.e look for bytes with the bit #7 set )
 for i=1, string.len( data ) do
   if string.byte( string.sub( data, i, i) ) > 127 then
     error( "Error: Invalid byte in data pos " .. i .. "\n" )
     return false
   end
 end

... you could use string.find:

local i = string.find(data, "[\128-\255]")
if i then
   error( "Error: Invalid byte in data pos " .. i .. "\n" )
   return false
end

Cheers,
Vaughan

On 28 January 2010 20:32, Bogdan Marinescu <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Very cool! I've been thinking about something like this too, but my MIDI
> knowledge is quite limited. I'm willing to help as much as possible with the
> coding part, so we can get some serious music out of eLua :)
>
> Best,
> Bogdan
>
> On Thu, Jan 28, 2010 at 2:12 AM, Dado Sutter <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Hello eLuers,
>>    Thiago Naves is developing a Lua Module that implements a MIDI protocol
>> API for eLua.
>>    It is hosted in Google Code @ https://code.google.com/p/eluamidi/ and
>> we'll be glad to grant commit access for those who want to collaborate.
>>
>> Best
>> Dado

Re: eLuaMIDI

On Wed, Feb 3, 2010 at 01:00, Vaughan McAlley <[hidden email]> wrote:

Thanks for the tips Vaughan. Thiago Naves, who started eLuaMIDI, is actually starting with Lua too (a couple of months) and come from a C world. He's doing a great job and we have refactored many functions this week. They are going to be "full Lua" very soon :)
I've added you as a committer in the eLuaMIDI project @GCode. Please feel free to contribute and tell me if you also want to be included in svn-repo activity ann list.
We can continue to discuss eLuaMIDI (and any other eLua application projects) here on this list, as it doesn't seem too intense to flood and deserve to go to a separate list.

If anyone else wants commit access to eLuaMIDI or eLuaExamples, pls write me here or in pvt, also informing about svn-repo ann list and I'll be glad to add you as a commiter.

Independent eLua-based projects are starting to grow now and we don't have a final model to support it yet. We are working on an "eLua Users Wiki", to be started very soon and opened (edition rights) for all of you on the list. This should work as a portal to the new projects to come, as well as to complement our site/doc with a wiki-like user-oriented-&-maintained content.

Sugestions are welcome.