eLuaBrain - a fully autonomous eLua based computer

eLuaBrain - a fully autonomous eLua based computer

Hi list,

I've been working on an eLua based computer for a while now and I'm happy to present something that actually works. It is built around a STM32F103 Cortex-M3 CPU from ST and it is completely autonomous; it connects to a PS/2 keyboard, outputs video via VGA (text only for now) and has an integrated editor. The project page is here : http://eluabrain.blogspot.com. Hope you enjoy it as much as I enjoyed working on it :)

Pito Pito

Re: eLuaBrain - a fully autonomous eLua based computer

Bogdan, congratulation!
When not using Propeller for VGA but the stm32f103 itself you should
have been prized! :)
Does it work w/o external ram?
p.

--
Videokurzy MS Office zdarma! Portál VOLNÝ.cz přináší online výuková
videa, která vás rychle, názorně a zábavnou formou naučí ovládat

2011/11/24 pito <[hidden email]>
Bogdan, congratulation!
When not using Propeller for VGA but the stm32f103 itself you should
have been prized! :)

Indeed :)

Does it work w/o external ram?

It could work without external RAM, but as it happens it has 1M of external RAM and it's very happy with it :)

p.

--
Videokurzy MS Office zdarma! Portál VOLNÝ.cz přináší online výuková
videa, která vás rychle, názorně a zábavnou formou naučí ovládat
programy Excel, Word a PowerPoint. Seriál najdete na
http://web.volny.cz/data/click.php?id=1293

Luke Venediger Luke Venediger

Re: eLuaBrain - a fully autonomous eLua based computer

Wow this is amazing Bogdan! Well done.

2011/11/24 Bogdan Marinescu <[hidden email]>:

> 2011/11/24 pito <[hidden email]>
>>
>> Bogdan, congratulation!
>> When not using Propeller for VGA but the stm32f103 itself you should
>> have been prized! :)
>
> Indeed :)
>

>> Does it work w/o external ram?
>
> It could work without external RAM, but as it happens it has 1M of external
> RAM and it's very happy with it :)
> Best,
> Bogdan
>

>> p.

Heinz Heinz

Re: eLuaBrain - a fully autonomous eLua based computer

Hi Bogdan,

yes quite impressiv. I guess I have to take acloser look to the vga interface. Just for curiosity.

You made http get requests for the rss feed I guess. No Problem with the network stack so far?

Heinz

On Thu, Nov 24, 2011 at 10:11 PM, heinz <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi Bogdan,

yes quite impressiv. I guess I have to take acloser look to the vga interface. Just for curiosity.

You made http get requests for the rss feed I guess. No Problem with the network stack so far?

No, but it's a heavily modified network stack :) Still uIP based, but the glue layer between uIP and eLua was greatly improved. I've been planning to integrate it in the eLua master branch for a while now, but I still have to find the time to do this.

Heinz

Am 24.11.2011 15:23, schrieb Bogdan Marinescu:
Hi list,

I've been working on an eLua based computer for a while now and I'm happy to present something that actually works. It is built around a STM32F103 Cortex-M3 CPU from ST and it is completely autonomous; it connects to a PS/2 keyboard, outputs video via VGA (text only for now) and has an integrated editor. The project page is here : http://eluabrain.blogspot.com. Hope you enjoy it as much as I enjoyed working on it :)

Thiago Naves Thiago Naves

Re: eLuaBrain - a fully autonomous eLua based computer

Very cool project !

On Thu, Nov 24, 2011 at 7:51 PM, Bogdan Marinescu
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Thu, Nov 24, 2011 at 10:11 PM, heinz <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Hi Bogdan,
>>
>> yes quite impressiv. I guess I have to take acloser look to the vga
>> interface. Just for curiosity.
>>
>> You made http get requests for the rss feed I guess. No Problem with the
>> network stack so far?
>
> No, but it's a heavily modified network stack :) Still uIP based, but the
> glue layer between uIP and eLua was greatly improved. I've been planning to
> integrate it in the eLua master branch for a while now, but I still have to
> find the time to do this.
> Best,
> Bogdan
>

>> Heinz
>>
>> Am 24.11.2011 15:23, schrieb Bogdan Marinescu:
>>
>> Hi list,
>> I've been working on an eLua based computer for a while now and I'm happy
>> to present something that actually works. It is built around a STM32F103
>> Cortex-M3 CPU from ST and it is completely autonomous; it connects to a PS/2
>> keyboard, outputs video via VGA (text only for now) and has an integrated
>> editor. The project page is here : http://eluabrain.blogspot.com. Hope you
>> enjoy it as much as I enjoyed working on it :)
>> Best,
>> Bogdan

Ronan Paixão-2 Ronan Paixão-2

Re: eLuaBrain - a fully autonomous eLua based computer

If you're interested in NTSC video on a STM32, check this out: http://rossum.posterous.com/building-the-rbox
--------------8<--------------8<-------------
Ronan Paixão
Engenheiro eletrônico
Instituto Militar de Engenharia - IME
(21) 8822-1709

<[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Thu, Nov 24, 2011 at 10:11 PM, heinz <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Hi Bogdan,
>>
>> yes quite impressiv. I guess I have to take acloser look to the vga
>> interface. Just for curiosity.
>>
>> You made http get requests for the rss feed I guess. No Problem with the
>> network stack so far?
>
> No, but it's a heavily modified network stack :) Still uIP based, but the
> glue layer between uIP and eLua was greatly improved. I've been planning to
> integrate it in the eLua master branch for a while now, but I still have to
> find the time to do this.
> Best,
> Bogdan
>

>> Heinz
>>
>> Am 24.11.2011 15:23, schrieb Bogdan Marinescu:
>>
>> Hi list,
>> I've been working on an eLua based computer for a while now and I'm happy
>> to present something that actually works. It is built around a STM32F103
>> Cortex-M3 CPU from ST and it is completely autonomous; it connects to a PS/2
>> keyboard, outputs video via VGA (text only for now) and has an integrated
>> editor. The project page is here : http://eluabrain.blogspot.com. Hope you
>> enjoy it as much as I enjoyed working on it :)
>> Best,
>> Bogdan

Re: eLuaBrain - a fully autonomous eLua based computer

Very cool :) Glad to see this make it's public debut :)

ph: (847) 448-0386

Nuccio Raciti Nuccio Raciti

Il 24/11/2011 15:23, Bogdan Marinescu ha scritto:

> Hi list,
>
> I've been working on an eLua based computer for a while now and I'm
> happy to present something that actually works. It is built around a
> STM32F103 Cortex-M3 CPU from ST and it is completely autonomous; it
> connects to a PS/2 keyboard, outputs video via VGA (text only for now)
> and has an integrated editor. The project page is here :
> http://eluabrain.blogspot.com. Hope you enjoy it as much as I enjoyed
> working on it :)
>
> Best,
> Bogdan

It's a very valuable work and  I think that I will use part of it ;-)

Congratulations and thanks.

Nuccio

2011/11/25 Ronan Paixão <[hidden email]>
If you're interested in NTSC video on a STM32, check this out: http://rossum.posterous.com/building-the-rbox

Thank you. I was aware of that link. If you choose to generate video directly from the MCU, you're likely to encounter some issues:

1. video resolution. It's very unlikely that you'd be able to do 640x480 at full color.
2. system load. If you're running a "live" video generator and want to run a virtual machine on the same MCU, arm yourself with a lot of patience :)

<[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Thu, Nov 24, 2011 at 10:11 PM, heinz <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Hi Bogdan,
>>
>> yes quite impressiv. I guess I have to take acloser look to the vga
>> interface. Just for curiosity.
>>
>> You made http get requests for the rss feed I guess. No Problem with the
>> network stack so far?
>
> No, but it's a heavily modified network stack :) Still uIP based, but the
> glue layer between uIP and eLua was greatly improved. I've been planning to
> integrate it in the eLua master branch for a while now, but I still have to
> find the time to do this.
> Best,
> Bogdan
>

>> Heinz
>>
>> Am 24.11.2011 15:23, schrieb Bogdan Marinescu:
>>
>> Hi list,
>> I've been working on an eLua based computer for a while now and I'm happy
>> to present something that actually works. It is built around a STM32F103
>> Cortex-M3 CPU from ST and it is completely autonomous; it connects to a PS/2
>> keyboard, outputs video via VGA (text only for now) and has an integrated
>> editor. The project page is here : http://eluabrain.blogspot.com. Hope you
>> enjoy it as much as I enjoyed working on it :)
>> Best,
>> Bogdan

Tony-12 Tony-12

Re: eLuaBrain - a fully autonomous eLua based computer

Impressive.

For CPU choice, would it make sense keep the your current approach and use a readily available, affordable module such as the Futurlec ET-STM32 stamp or ST STM32F4 Discovery board?  That would save a lot of high density SMD soldering....

--Tony

On Mon, Nov 28, 2011 at 3:15 AM, Tony <[hidden email]> wrote:
Impressive.

For CPU choice, would it make sense keep the your current approach and use a readily available, affordable module such as the Futurlec ET-STM32 stamp or ST STM32F4 Discovery board?  That would save a lot of high density SMD soldering....

I'm not sure about that. The thing is that you'd still need a shield with the video and everything else, and you can't go with DIP everywhere (currently the Ethernet hardware is a DIP module based on a SMD ENC28J60 that wasn't exactly cheap). You might as well mount everything on a single board. SMD is not as bad as long as you don't try to do BGA or very low pitched QFP packages.

--Tony

On Thu, Nov 24, 2011 at 6:23 AM, Bogdan Marinescu <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi list,

I've been working on an eLua based computer for a while now and I'm happy to present something that actually works. It is built around a STM32F103 Cortex-M3 CPU from ST and it is completely autonomous; it connects to a PS/2 keyboard, outputs video via VGA (text only for now) and has an integrated editor. The project page is here : http://eluabrain.blogspot.com. Hope you enjoy it as much as I enjoyed working on it :)

Mike King Mike King

Re: eLuaBrain - a fully autonomous eLua based computer

Wow!  This is impressive.

If you are looking for feedback on this then the only thing I would
recommend is resetting the blink timer for the cursor so every time
the cursor moves the cursor is visible.

Re: eLuaBrain - a fully autonomous eLua based computer

Another note: I'd love to get the online help to work a bit similarly
to iPython (perhaps with adjustment to not require severe hacking)
where one can do things like this in the shell:

In [3]: len?
Type:       builtin_function_or_method
Base Class: <type 'builtin_function_or_method'>
String Form:<built-in function len>
Namespace:  Python builtin
Docstring:
len(object) -> integer

Return the number of items of a sequence or mapping.

It sounds like you've added something to the repl to allow bringing up
help, but I like the simplicity of something like just putting a
question mark at the end..

Tab completion would be nice too, both for the Lua repl and the shell.
 At least in recent versions linenoise does provide a "minimal
framework" for completion through the use of a callback.  I suspect we
could use this, or something similar, to autocomplete command names,
filenames, table keys..

On Tue, Nov 29, 2011 at 5:47 PM, James Snyder <[hidden email]> wrote:
Another note: I'd love to get the online help to work a bit similarly
to iPython (perhaps with adjustment to not require severe hacking)
where one can do things like this in the shell:

In [3]: len?
Type:       builtin_function_or_method
Base Class: <type 'builtin_function_or_method'>
String Form:<built-in function len>
Namespace:  Python builtin
Docstring:
len(object) -> integer

Return the number of items of a sequence or mapping.

You mean as a shortcut to 'elua.help(len)' (which is how this is currently implemented?)

It sounds like you've added something to the repl to allow bringing up
help, but I like the simplicity of something like just putting a
question mark at the end..

Got it :)  I didn't modify the REPL, it's just a new function in the elua table. but I can certainly modify the REPL such as '<string>?' is automatically translated to 'elua.help(<string>)' (hope this is enough).

Tab completion would be nice too, both for the Lua repl and the shell.
 At least in recent versions linenoise does provide a "minimal
framework" for completion through the use of a callback.  I suspect we
could use this, or something similar, to autocomplete command names,
filenames, table keys..

This is a very nice idea. I didn't know linenoise has this feature, I'll take a look at it.

Thanks,
Bogdan

On Tue, Nov 29, 2011 at 4:21 PM, Mike King <[hidden email]> wrote:
Wow!  This is impressive.

If you are looking for feedback on this then the only thing I would
recommend is resetting the blink timer for the cursor so every time
the cursor moves the cursor is visible.

You mean make the cursor always-on, as opposed to blinking?

Mike King Mike King

Re: eLuaBrain - a fully autonomous eLua based computer

No, blinking is good.  It helps the user find the cursor.

Your blink behavior looks good but in my opinion with a small change
and it would be great.  I would have the cursor blink indicator come
on for 600mS then off for 600mS and constantly repeat until the cursor
moves.  When the cursor moves, reset the timer so the indicator come
on for 600mS then off for 600mS and continues to repeat as before.

Again, your blink behavior isn't bad.  The only reason I even noticed
this is because the blink behavior in Outlook 2007 is clearly bad.  I
often have to wait for the cursor to blink after using the arrow keys
because I lost track of the cursor.  It is very annoying.