eLua on mbed

Tom Freund Tom Freund

eLua on mbed

read about the eLua project on mbed.

Any reason why the eLua platform source cannot be compiled through the web based compiler provided through mbed.org ?

--
Tom Freund

Digysol

"Software and hardware
enabling
collective intelligence
looking after
infrastructure"

Re: eLua on mbed

Hi,

On Wed, Feb 22, 2012 at 5:52 PM, Tom Freund <[hidden email]> wrote:
> read about the eLua project on mbed.
>
> Any reason why the eLua platform source cannot be compiled through the web
> based compiler provided through mbed.org ?

Quite simply, nobody implemented that yet. eLua's build system is
quite complex and very different from mbed's compile-on-line
philosophy. I believe it is possible to compile eLua using their
on-line tools and I'll be happy if someone implements that.
Personally, I find the idea of online toolchains completely
unappealing, which is why I didn't invest any effort in this task.

> --
> Tom Freund
>
> Digysol
>
> "Software and hardware
> enabling
> collective intelligence
> looking after
> infrastructure"
>
> Voice - 860-232-1614
> Skype ID - digysol
> www.scguild.com/Resume/1149I.html
> http://www.youtube.com/user/digysol

Tom Freund Tom Freund

Re: eLua on mbed

So,, if the mbed on-line compile is not the best way to proceed, what is the recommended tool chain ?

I took a look at the project page in the eLua site and there was not much guidance on that.

On Wed, Feb 22, 2012 at 10:55 AM, Bogdan Marinescu <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi,

On Wed, Feb 22, 2012 at 5:52 PM, Tom Freund <[hidden email]> wrote:
> read about the eLua project on mbed.
>
> Any reason why the eLua platform source cannot be compiled through the web
> based compiler provided through mbed.org ?

Quite simply, nobody implemented that yet. eLua's build system is
quite complex and very different from mbed's compile-on-line
philosophy. I believe it is possible to compile eLua using their
on-line tools and I'll be happy if someone implements that.
Personally, I find the idea of online toolchains completely
unappealing, which is why I didn't invest any effort in this task.

> --
> Tom Freund
>
> Digysol
>
> "Software and hardware
> enabling
> collective intelligence
> looking after
> infrastructure"
>
> Voice - <a href="tel:860-232-1614" value="+18602321614">860-232-1614
> Skype ID - digysol
> www.scguild.com/Resume/1149I.html
> http://www.youtube.com/user/digysol

Tom Freund

Digysol

"Software and hardware
enabling
collective intelligence
looking after
infrastructure"

Re: eLua on mbed

On Wed, Feb 22, 2012 at 9:55 AM, Bogdan Marinescu
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> On Wed, Feb 22, 2012 at 5:52 PM, Tom Freund <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> read about the eLua project on mbed.
>>
>> Any reason why the eLua platform source cannot be compiled through the web
>> based compiler provided through mbed.org ?
>
> Quite simply, nobody implemented that yet. eLua's build system is
> quite complex and very different from mbed's compile-on-line
> philosophy. I believe it is possible to compile eLua using their
> on-line tools and I'll be happy if someone implements that.
> Personally, I find the idea of online toolchains completely
> unappealing, which is why I didn't invest any effort in this task.

It may have changed since I last tried this but there were two reasons
why it didn't work previously:
1) eLua is built around using certain hooks in newlib, and needs to be
ported to other c libraries (the mbed compiler used armcc and a
related c library). This isn't ultimately too painful to deal with.
2) The compiler only supported C++.  eLua's LTR depends on designated
initializers in C, which don't exist in C++:
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/855996/c-equivalent-to-designated-initializers

After hacking around the latter for a while, I finally just
implemented a newlib + gcc based port for mbed.

-jsnyder

> Best,
> Bogdan
>

>> --
>> Tom Freund
>>
>> Digysol
>>
>> "Software and hardware
>> enabling
>> collective intelligence
>> looking after
>> infrastructure"
>>
>> Voice - 860-232-1614
>> Skype ID - digysol
>> www.scguild.com/Resume/1149I.html
>> http://www.youtube.com/user/digysol

http://fanplastic.org/key.txt
ph: (847) 448-0386

Re: eLua on mbed

On Wed, Feb 22, 2012 at 5:58 PM, Tom Freund <[hidden email]> wrote:
> So,, if the mbed on-line compile is not the best way to proceed, what is the
> recommended tool chain ?
>
> I took a look at the project page in the eLua site and there was not much
> guidance on that.

Just use a generic ARM EABI toolchain, for example the "EABI release" from here:

http://www.mentor.com/embedded-software/sourcery-tools/sourcery-codebench/editions/lite-edition/

Information about toolchains is here:

http://www.eluaproject.net/doc/v0.8/en_toolchains.html

> On Wed, Feb 22, 2012 at 10:55 AM, Bogdan Marinescu
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Hi,
>>
>> On Wed, Feb 22, 2012 at 5:52 PM, Tom Freund <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> > read about the eLua project on mbed.
>> >
>> > Any reason why the eLua platform source cannot be compiled through the
>> > web
>> > based compiler provided through mbed.org ?
>>
>> Quite simply, nobody implemented that yet. eLua's build system is
>> quite complex and very different from mbed's compile-on-line
>> philosophy. I believe it is possible to compile eLua using their
>> on-line tools and I'll be happy if someone implements that.
>> Personally, I find the idea of online toolchains completely
>> unappealing, which is why I didn't invest any effort in this task.
>>
>> Best,
>> Bogdan
>>

>> > --
>> > Tom Freund
>> >
>> > Digysol
>> >
>> > "Software and hardware
>> > enabling
>> > collective intelligence
>> > looking after
>> > infrastructure"
>> >
>> > Voice - 860-232-1614
>> > Skype ID - digysol
>> > www.scguild.com/Resume/1149I.html
>> > http://www.youtube.com/user/digysol

> --
> Tom Freund
>
> Digysol
>
> "Software and hardware
> enabling
> collective intelligence
> looking after
> infrastructure"
>
> Voice - 860-232-1614
> Skype ID - digysol
> www.scguild.com/Resume/1149I.html
> http://www.youtube.com/user/digysol

Tom Freund Tom Freund

Re: eLua on mbed

Thanks !

On Wed, Feb 22, 2012 at 11:01 AM, Bogdan Marinescu <[hidden email]> wrote:
On Wed, Feb 22, 2012 at 5:58 PM, Tom Freund <[hidden email]> wrote:
> So,, if the mbed on-line compile is not the best way to proceed, what is the
> recommended tool chain ?
>
> I took a look at the project page in the eLua site and there was not much
> guidance on that.

Just use a generic ARM EABI toolchain, for example the "EABI release" from here:

http://www.mentor.com/embedded-software/sourcery-tools/sourcery-codebench/editions/lite-edition/

Information about toolchains is here:

http://www.eluaproject.net/doc/v0.8/en_toolchains.html

> On Wed, Feb 22, 2012 at 10:55 AM, Bogdan Marinescu
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Hi,
>>
>> On Wed, Feb 22, 2012 at 5:52 PM, Tom Freund <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> > read about the eLua project on mbed.
>> >
>> > Any reason why the eLua platform source cannot be compiled through the
>> > web
>> > based compiler provided through mbed.org ?
>>
>> Quite simply, nobody implemented that yet. eLua's build system is
>> quite complex and very different from mbed's compile-on-line
>> philosophy. I believe it is possible to compile eLua using their
>> on-line tools and I'll be happy if someone implements that.
>> Personally, I find the idea of online toolchains completely
>> unappealing, which is why I didn't invest any effort in this task.
>>
>> Best,
>> Bogdan
>>

>> > --
>> > Tom Freund
>> >
>> > Digysol
>> >
>> > "Software and hardware
>> > enabling
>> > collective intelligence
>> > looking after
>> > infrastructure"
>> >
>> > Voice - <a href="tel:860-232-1614" value="+18602321614">860-232-1614
>> > Skype ID - digysol
>> > www.scguild.com/Resume/1149I.html
>> > http://www.youtube.com/user/digysol

> --
> Tom Freund
>
> Digysol
>
> "Software and hardware
> enabling
> collective intelligence
> looking after
> infrastructure"
>
> Voice - <a href="tel:860-232-1614" value="+18602321614">860-232-1614
> Skype ID - digysol
> www.scguild.com/Resume/1149I.html
> http://www.youtube.com/user/digysol

Tom Freund

Digysol

"Software and hardware
enabling
collective intelligence
looking after
infrastructure"

Vagner nascimento Vagner nascimento

Re: eLua on mbed

Hi Tom, you can try our web builder service on http://builder.eluaproject.net.

Att,
Vagner

On Wed, Feb 22, 2012 at 2:15 PM, Tom Freund <[hidden email]> wrote:
Thanks !

On Wed, Feb 22, 2012 at 11:01 AM, Bogdan Marinescu <[hidden email]> wrote:
On Wed, Feb 22, 2012 at 5:58 PM, Tom Freund <[hidden email]> wrote:
> So,, if the mbed on-line compile is not the best way to proceed, what is the
> recommended tool chain ?
>
> I took a look at the project page in the eLua site and there was not much
> guidance on that.

Just use a generic ARM EABI toolchain, for example the "EABI release" from here:

http://www.mentor.com/embedded-software/sourcery-tools/sourcery-codebench/editions/lite-edition/

Information about toolchains is here:

http://www.eluaproject.net/doc/v0.8/en_toolchains.html

> On Wed, Feb 22, 2012 at 10:55 AM, Bogdan Marinescu
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Hi,
>>
>> On Wed, Feb 22, 2012 at 5:52 PM, Tom Freund <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> > read about the eLua project on mbed.
>> >
>> > Any reason why the eLua platform source cannot be compiled through the
>> > web
>> > based compiler provided through mbed.org ?
>>
>> Quite simply, nobody implemented that yet. eLua's build system is
>> quite complex and very different from mbed's compile-on-line
>> philosophy. I believe it is possible to compile eLua using their
>> on-line tools and I'll be happy if someone implements that.
>> Personally, I find the idea of online toolchains completely
>> unappealing, which is why I didn't invest any effort in this task.
>>
>> Best,
>> Bogdan
>>

>> > --
>> > Tom Freund
>> >
>> > Digysol
>> >
>> > "Software and hardware
>> > enabling
>> > collective intelligence
>> > looking after
>> > infrastructure"
>> >
>> > Voice - <a href="tel:860-232-1614" value="+18602321614" target="_blank">860-232-1614
>> > Skype ID - digysol
>> > www.scguild.com/Resume/1149I.html
>> > http://www.youtube.com/user/digysol

> --
> Tom Freund
>
> Digysol
>
> "Software and hardware
> enabling
> collective intelligence
> looking after
> infrastructure"
>
> Voice - <a href="tel:860-232-1614" value="+18602321614" target="_blank">860-232-1614
> Skype ID - digysol
> www.scguild.com/Resume/1149I.html
> http://www.youtube.com/user/digysol

Tom Freund