eLua IDE "brainstorming"

Nuccio Raciti Nuccio Raciti

eLua IDE "brainstorming"

Hi all,

I have the pleasure to announce that we have started a "brainstorming"
about an IDE for eLua.

http://tracker.eluaproject.net/projects/elua/wiki/TheLuaIDE

Suggestions and comments are welcome,
thanks,

Nuccio

Tim Michals Tim Michals

Re: eLua IDE "brainstorming"

The link is returning: Firefox can't establish a connection to the server at tracker.eluaproject.net.

Comments:
PySide, a python wrapper for QT.  It is open source, supports 2.7 and working on 3.0 version of python.  Supports qml and 4.7 QT.

Pros:
- Apple, Linux, and Windows out of the Box, no need to recompile
- Python has native support for Serial, libUSB, on Windows/Linux
- scons uses Python (So already need it to be installed)
- High level language, same on all platforms, using QT with qml (Nice way to program a GUI without using C++)
- example of a Python IDE eric5, written in PyQT (Python for QT)
http://eric-ide.python-projects.org/eric-download.html
Cons
- Speed,  could be slow
- The Scintilla editor is not QT,  it is possible to add a edit control for source, ie borrow, ideas, there is a QT version QScintilla

On Sat, Jul 2, 2011 at 8:27 PM, Tim michals <[hidden email]> wrote:
The link is returning: Firefox can't establish a connection to the server at tracker.eluaproject.net.

... and that's down again. Thanks for reporting this.

Comments:
PySide, a python wrapper for QT.  It is open source, supports 2.7 and working on 3.0 version of python.  Supports qml and 4.7 QT.

Pros:
- Apple, Linux, and Windows out of the Box, no need to recompile
- Python has native support for Serial, libUSB, on Windows/Linux
- scons uses Python (So already need it to be installed)
- High level language, same on all platforms, using QT with qml (Nice way to program a GUI without using C++)
- example of a Python IDE eric5, written in PyQT (Python for QT)

We're actually trying to get away from Python. The alternative build system in the master branch (build_elua.lua) is already fully functional. It's not that we want everything to gravitate around Lua, but we (or at least me) feel that Lua can handle this stuff without much help. And yes, Python can be annoyingly slow at times.

:)

- The Scintilla editor is not QT,  it is possible to add a edit control for source, ie borrow, ideas, there is a QT version QScintilla

Thank you. It's a good thing to have a large number of options to choose from.