chipKIT Max32 support?

hrh1818 hrh1818

chipKIT Max32 support?

What is the status of the eLua port to a chipKIT Max32?.   With 512KB of
flash, a large complement of peripherals and a $50 price tag the chipKIT
Max32 looks a good candidate for eLua.

Howard

Re: chipKIT Max32 support?

Hi,

On Mon, May 30, 2011 at 10:46 PM, Howard Hansen <[hidden email]> wrote:
What is the status of the eLua port to a chipKIT Max32?.   With 512KB of flash, a large complement of peripherals and a $50 price tag the chipKIT Max32 looks a good candidate for eLua.

Search the eLua-dev mailing list for "PIC32" and you'll find some threads about the eLua PIC32 porting efforts. Basically it's going very slow because of some problems with Microchip's less than ideal (to put it lightly) licensing of their tools/libraries which tends to piss open source people off (and nobody can really blame them). That said, I believe we're getting there. Just, you know, slowly.

Tim Michals Tim Michals

Re: chipKIT Max32 support?

Here is some good reading material on this product:
chipKIT32 has a new compiler, this is due to the older compiler not supporting C++.
Arduino typically uses C++.
The license agreement is an interesting read:
https://github.com/chipKIT32/chipKIT32-MAX/blob/master/hardware/pic32/compiler/license.txt

Some background information
http://dangerousprototypes.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=2353

On Tue, May 31, 2011 at 12:27 AM, Tim michals <[hidden email]> wrote:
Here is some good reading material on this product:
chipKIT32 has a new compiler, this is due to the older compiler not supporting C++.
Arduino typically uses C++.
The license agreement is an interesting read:

Interesting indeed. That's not to say I understood it :) I'm happy though that they acknowledge the existence of "so-called open source software licenses" (don't you just love it when lawyers try to get poetic with their language ? :) )

Interesting reading, thanks. It seems that the community pressure is pretty high now, hopefully they'll listen. Personally I believe they'll have to listen, otherwise they won't stand a chance in a market where "open source" is a highly appreciated concept and 32-bit MCUs with ARM cores are everywhere and already have outstanding support. It's just a matter of "when".

On Mon, May 30, 2011 at 10:46 PM, Howard Hansen <[hidden email]> wrote:
What is the status of the eLua port to a chipKIT Max32?.   With 512KB of flash, a large complement of peripherals and a $50 price tag the chipKIT Max32 looks a good candidate for eLua.

Search the eLua-dev mailing list for "PIC32" and you'll find some threads about the eLua PIC32 porting efforts. Basically it's going very slow because of some problems with Microchip's less than ideal (to put it lightly) licensing of their tools/libraries which tends to piss open source people off (and nobody can really blame them). That said, I believe we're getting there. Just, you know, slowly.

Tim Michals Tim Michals

Re: chipKIT Max32 support?

After listening to http://dangerousprototypes.com/2011/05/31/chipkit-conference-call-yes-its-all-open-source/#more-21240, the bottom line, there is going to be open source path for the Microchip application libraries, so, this might be the best approach to getting PIC32 in eLua.

In the next few weeks there will be a Ethernet shield and USB support and these will be open source drivers.

So, I guess Microchip is understanding the "new" direction.