What about an RPC eLua drived from an Android device?

Nuccio Raciti Nuccio Raciti

What about an RPC eLua drived from an Android device?

Hi All,

another crazy idea, I need to share with some one here, on the list.

The idea is:
- use a board running an eLua RPC application.
- develop eLua for Android, able to use the hardware board by RPC
  (using RPC, through the USB host of our HW and the USB client of the device Android,
  Bluetooth, or the network)
- added to the eLua for Android the support for the native  environment
 (graphical widgets, network, sensors ...)
- publish the free application on the Android market

The goals are:
- to have a cheaper graphical display
  (with the network, sensors, touch, Bluetooth, more ram, sound, video, battery, ...)
  able to drive our hardware.
  Also consider that the price of Android devices is set to fall.
- to get more publicity and visibility with eLua.

see here for a similar story:
http://ytai-mer.blogspot.com/2011/04/meet-ioio-io-for-android.html
http://www.sparkfun.com/products/10585

:-/

Regards,
Nuccio

Re: What about an RPC eLua drived from an Android device?

Hello,

On Sun, Apr 17, 2011 at 04:24, Nuccio Raciti <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi All,

another crazy idea, I need to share with some one here, on the list.

The idea is:
- use a board running an eLua RPC application.
- develop eLua for Android, able to use the hardware board by RPC
 (using RPC, through the USB host of our HW and the USB client of the device Android,
 Bluetooth, or the network)
- added to the eLua for Android the support for the native  environment
 (graphical widgets, network, sensors ...)
- publish the free application on the Android market

The goals are:
- to have a cheaper graphical display
 (with the network, sensors, touch, Bluetooth, more ram, sound, video, battery, ...)
 able to drive our hardware.
 Also consider that the price of Android devices is set to fall.
- to get more publicity and visibility with eLua.

It would certainly be nice to have this kind of connectivity between the two platforms
I see some aspects on this initial proposal:
- We don't have RPC over Bluetooth, TCP/IP or USB (yet), only over UART/
- On the Android side, why would you need eLua and not only Lua, which already runs fine there too, with LuaRPC ?
- The support for the board-side would be provided through the existing eLua modules, accessed remotely by LuaRPC.
- The Android resources would be accessed by the dedicated libs that begin to appear and would not depend on eLua.
- In this scenario, if I understood the idea, the only new requirement on the eLua side is eLuaRPC over USB. Is this right ?

see here for a similar story:
http://ytai-mer.blogspot.com/2011/04/meet-ioio-io-for-android.html
http://www.sparkfun.com/products/10585

:-/

Tks for the proposal !

Regards,
Nuccio

Tim Michals Tim Michals

Re: What about an RPC eLua drived from an Android device?

I'm using a Panda board from GHI, it has a USB Host capable port. but a HW modification is required.
http://blog.tkjelectronics.dk/2011/03/fez-panda-and-usb-host/

At this time have a basic CDC ACM port working, just making mods to connect to a pseudo serial port for shell and RPC.  The framework at this time is the LPC2xxx LPCUSB, to work out the issues with the chip and how it must handle sensing USB, the panda board must poll or get an ISR on a GPIO to know when VBUS is connected.

Also, looking at using CDC Ethernet, but having issues trying to get a INF file for Windows 7, so, posting on a couple of web sites asking for some input.  RNDIS does work on both platforms (Windows/Linux, but rather try something of a standard.  http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ff537037%28v=vs.85%29.aspx

I'm thinking of moving to the AT91 USB library, there is no license issues or restrictions on using it on other processors that I can see...

[...]

This is true but it's written to have interchangeable backends and they're pretty easy to add.

- On the Android side, why would you need eLua and not only Lua, which already runs fine there too, with LuaRPC ?

As it stands you would need LuaRPC and lua, not necessarily eLua. LuaRPC exists as a standalone module for standard lua as well, though you wouldn't get bytecode cross-compiling without patching standard lua.

Il giorno lun, 18/04/2011 alle 02.47 -0300, Dado Sutter ha scritto:

> Hello,
>
> On Sun, Apr 17, 2011 at 04:24, Nuccio Raciti <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>         Hi All,
>
>         another crazy idea, I need to share with some one here, on the
>         list.
>
>         The idea is:
>         - use a board running an eLua RPC application.
>         - develop eLua for Android, able to use the hardware board by
>         RPC
>          (using RPC, through the USB host of our HW and the USB client
>         of the device Android,
>          Bluetooth, or the network)
>         - added to the eLua for Android the support for the native
>          environment
>          (graphical widgets, network, sensors ...)
>         - publish the free application on the Android market
>
>         The goals are:
>         - to have a cheaper graphical display
>          (with the network, sensors, touch, Bluetooth, more ram,
>         sound, video, battery, ...)
>          able to drive our hardware.
>          Also consider that the price of Android devices is set to
>         fall.
>         - to get more publicity and visibility with eLua.
>
> It would certainly be nice to have this kind of connectivity between
> the two platforms
> I see some aspects on this initial proposal:
> - We don't have RPC over Bluetooth, TCP/IP or USB (yet), only over
> UART/
Yes I know.
> - On the Android side, why would you need eLua and not only Lua, which
> already runs fine there too, with LuaRPC ?
Great news, I did not know the LuaRPC module,
so yes, Lua is a better choice.
> - The support for the board-side would be provided through the
> existing eLua modules, accessed remotely by LuaRPC.
Yes
> - The Android resources would be accessed by the dedicated libs that
> begin to appear and would not depend on eLua.
Exactly, I found some thing here:
http://code.google.com/p/android-scripting/

> - In this scenario, if I understood the idea, the only new requirement
> on the eLua side is eLuaRPC over USB. Is this right ?
Yes, but we can start using the UART over the USB....

>         see here for a similar story:
>         http://ytai-mer.blogspot.com/2011/04/meet-ioio-io-for-android.html
>         http://www.sparkfun.com/products/10585
>
>         :-/
>
> Tks for the proposal !

Thanks to you.
Ciao,
NUccio

>         Regards,
>         Nuccio
>
> Best
> Dado

Nuccio Raciti Nuccio Raciti

Added a new AJAX-eLua example to: http://wiki.eluaproject.net/eLuaWebServer

Hello,

I have just added the "Eliza" example:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ELIZA

I hope it may be accessed here:
http://mizar32.dyndns.org/

Ciao,
Nuccio

Re: Added a new AJAX-eLua example to: http://wiki.eluaproject.net/eLuaWebServer

Wow ! That is cool ! :)
   Another classic among our games and demos !
   Great work Nuccio !
   I will hopefully be useful among some crazy and other therapist-needed eLuers here too :)

   The app seem to have blocked now, after a few interations but I got the idea and the overall work seem to be really nice !
   I would have called it eLuaLiza or eLiza :)

   Will you be able to keep it online for sometime ?
   I will try to setup another one here too and use it in a demo soon.

Thanks again for the great work

On Mon, Apr 25, 2011 at 07:53, Nuccio Raciti <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hello,

I have just added the "Eliza" example:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ELIZA

I hope it may be accessed here:
http://mizar32.dyndns.org/

Ciao,
Nuccio

Nuccio Raciti Nuccio Raciti

Re: Added a new AJAX-eLua example to: http://wiki.eluaproject.net/eLuaWebServer

Hi Dado,

Il giorno lun, 25/04/2011 alle 13.56 -0300, Dado Sutter ha scritto:
> Wow ! That is cool ! :)
>    Another classic among our games and demos !
>    Great work Nuccio !
>    I will hopefully be useful among some crazy and other
> therapist-needed eLuers here too :)

:-D
>    The app seem to have blocked now, after a few interations but I got
> the idea and the overall work seem to be really nice !
Here well hidden there is a bug, so sometimes it hangs..
I can see you (I think) the print on the console says: ip=189.122.244.20

>    I would have called it eLuaLiza or eLiza :)
Good, I need suggestions, I need to know that it is useful for
someone...

>    Will you be able to keep it online for sometime ?
>    I will try to setup another one here too and use it in a demo soon.

After an hardware reset (the EVK1100) is online again.

> Thanks again for the great work
> Best
> Dado

Thanks.