WebBuilder and Flash//HTML 5

Patrick Mc(avery Patrick Mc(avery

WebBuilder and Flash//HTML 5

I've had a good elua day :)

James has been mentoring me behind the scenes and I am making progress
preparing for my next tutorials.

I used webBuilder today and I like it very much. Unfortunately it
doesn't fit in my screencasting setup just yet. I run dual monitors
here, rotated 90 degrees. I have my screencasting area taped off,  a
shell script ready to run some commands and so on.

A little while after Ubuntu switched to the Unity desktop I switched to
Trisquel Linux and I am very happy with it. I can watch youtube and
don't have any proprietary software on my machine at all(apparently the
standard Linux Kernel has proprietary blobs now). The Trisquel crowd are
purists though and have even rebranded Firefox and forked it as the
firefox project encourages people to load extensions which are closed
source.

The rebranded browser is called abrowser. When I run webBuilder in it, a
message quickly flashes that says "your browser doesn't have flash,
gears, silverlight or html 5 installed". Then a screen pops up with a
button that says "play".

I tried it with Midori, IceCat and Arora on my machine too. On my Wife's
Mint Linux, it works fine but I am not sure if the mint-flash
application installed is proprietary and it's not going to be in the
Trisquel repositories. I am not sure how to check but I am assuming some
of the browsers on my machine are html 5 equipped, maybe some one could
tell me how to check for this?

I also tried on Windows  2000 and it did not work but I guess no one
else is running old versions like this.

Has anyone else been able to get this running on Linux without
proprietary software?

Thanks for reading-Patrick

Mauricio Henrique Bomfim Mauricio Henrique Bomfim

Re: WebBuilder and Flash//HTML 5

On Wed, Dec 28, 2011 at 8:38 PM, Patrick <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I've had a good elua day :)
>
> James has been mentoring me behind the scenes and I am making progress
> preparing for my next tutorials.
>
> I used webBuilder today and I like it very much. Unfortunately it doesn't
> fit in my screencasting setup just yet. I run dual monitors here, rotated 90
> degrees. I have my screencasting area taped off,  a shell script ready to
> run some commands and so on.
>
> A little while after Ubuntu switched to the Unity desktop I switched to
> Trisquel Linux and I am very happy with it. I can watch youtube and don't
> have any proprietary software on my machine at all(apparently the standard
> Linux Kernel has proprietary blobs now). The Trisquel crowd are purists
> though and have even rebranded Firefox and forked it as the firefox project
> encourages people to load extensions which are closed source.
>
> The rebranded browser is called abrowser. When I run webBuilder in it, a
> message quickly flashes that says "your browser doesn't have flash, gears,
> silverlight or html 5 installed". Then a screen pops up with a button that
> says "play".
>
> I tried it with Midori, IceCat and Arora on my machine too. On my Wife's
> Mint Linux, it works fine but I am not sure if the mint-flash application
> installed is proprietary and it's not going to be in the Trisquel
> repositories. I am not sure how to check but I am assuming some of the
> browsers on my machine are html 5 equipped, maybe some one could tell me how
> to check for this?
>
> I also tried on Windows  2000 and it did not work but I guess no one else is
> running old versions like this.
>
> Has anyone else been able to get this running on Linux without proprietary
> software?

I've tried on a Kubuntu Linux with a fresh Firefox download just now
from the Firefox web site (without any flash plugin) and eLua web
builder is working well. It is using HTML 5.

[]s

Mauricio

> Thanks for reading-Patrick

Re: WebBuilder and Flash//HTML 5

One thought:
If the uploader is one that supports multiple interfaces (flash,
HTML5, etc..) perhaps it has an order of preference and when it sees
that any form of flash is advertised it goes for that first over
HTML5?

When I try it in two flash-capable browsers (Firefox 9, Chrome 16)
both bring up a Flash contextual menu when I right click on "Add
files."

I don't know what the side effects might be, but the example code for
plupload for jquery queue upload does include settings:
http://www.plupload.com/example_queuewidget.php

The order there is:
gears,flash,silverlight,browserplus,html5

I'm not sure if it would be safe, but perhaps putting html5 first
might be nice?  I would of course test with non-html5 browsers and see
if it would fail over nicely.

On Wed, Dec 28, 2011 at 5:35 PM, Mauricio Henrique Bomfim
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Wed, Dec 28, 2011 at 8:38 PM, Patrick <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> I've had a good elua day :)
>>
>> James has been mentoring me behind the scenes and I am making progress
>> preparing for my next tutorials.
>>
>> I used webBuilder today and I like it very much. Unfortunately it doesn't
>> fit in my screencasting setup just yet. I run dual monitors here, rotated 90
>> degrees. I have my screencasting area taped off,  a shell script ready to
>> run some commands and so on.
>>
>> A little while after Ubuntu switched to the Unity desktop I switched to
>> Trisquel Linux and I am very happy with it. I can watch youtube and don't
>> have any proprietary software on my machine at all(apparently the standard
>> Linux Kernel has proprietary blobs now). The Trisquel crowd are purists
>> though and have even rebranded Firefox and forked it as the firefox project
>> encourages people to load extensions which are closed source.
>>
>> The rebranded browser is called abrowser. When I run webBuilder in it, a
>> message quickly flashes that says "your browser doesn't have flash, gears,
>> silverlight or html 5 installed". Then a screen pops up with a button that
>> says "play".
>>
>> I tried it with Midori, IceCat and Arora on my machine too. On my Wife's
>> Mint Linux, it works fine but I am not sure if the mint-flash application
>> installed is proprietary and it's not going to be in the Trisquel
>> repositories. I am not sure how to check but I am assuming some of the
>> browsers on my machine are html 5 equipped, maybe some one could tell me how
>> to check for this?
>>
>> I also tried on Windows  2000 and it did not work but I guess no one else is
>> running old versions like this.
>>
>> Has anyone else been able to get this running on Linux without proprietary
>> software?
>
> I've tried on a Kubuntu Linux with a fresh Firefox download just now
> from the Firefox web site (without any flash plugin) and eLua web
> builder is working well. It is using HTML 5.
>
> []s
>
> Mauricio
>

>> Thanks for reading-Patrick

Vagner nascimento Vagner nascimento

Re: WebBuilder and Flash//HTML 5

Hello James and Patrick,

On Thu, Dec 29, 2011 at 1:40 AM, James Snyder <[hidden email]> wrote:
One thought:
If the uploader is one that supports multiple interfaces (flash,
HTML5, etc..) perhaps it has an order of preference and when it sees
that any form of flash is advertised it goes for that first over
HTML5?

When I try it in two flash-capable browsers (Firefox 9, Chrome 16)
both bring up a Flash contextual menu when I right click on "Add
files."

I don't know what the side effects might be, but the example code for
plupload for jquery queue upload does include settings:
http://www.plupload.com/example_queuewidget.php

The order there is:
gears,flash,silverlight,browserplus,html5

I'm not sure if it would be safe, but perhaps putting html5 first
might be nice?  I would of course test with non-html5 browsers and see
if it would fail over nicely.

You are right, but  the reason why flash was put first of Html5 was: one year ago not all browsers had full support of HTML5 and when we tested with some that 'supported' some problems happened.
However, seems me it is a good time to test the new version of Plupload (WebBuilder was not updated yet) with current browsers. I'll do that.

Thanks for the feedback,

Vagner

<[hidden email]> wrote:
> On Wed, Dec 28, 2011 at 8:38 PM, Patrick <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> I've had a good elua day :)
>>
>> James has been mentoring me behind the scenes and I am making progress
>> preparing for my next tutorials.
>>
>> I used webBuilder today and I like it very much. Unfortunately it doesn't
>> fit in my screencasting setup just yet. I run dual monitors here, rotated 90
>> degrees. I have my screencasting area taped off,  a shell script ready to
>> run some commands and so on.
>>
>> A little while after Ubuntu switched to the Unity desktop I switched to
>> Trisquel Linux and I am very happy with it. I can watch youtube and don't
>> have any proprietary software on my machine at all(apparently the standard
>> Linux Kernel has proprietary blobs now). The Trisquel crowd are purists
>> though and have even rebranded Firefox and forked it as the firefox project
>> encourages people to load extensions which are closed source.
>>
>> The rebranded browser is called abrowser. When I run webBuilder in it, a
>> message quickly flashes that says "your browser doesn't have flash, gears,
>> silverlight or html 5 installed". Then a screen pops up with a button that
>> says "play".
>>
>> I tried it with Midori, IceCat and Arora on my machine too. On my Wife's
>> Mint Linux, it works fine but I am not sure if the mint-flash application
>> installed is proprietary and it's not going to be in the Trisquel
>> repositories. I am not sure how to check but I am assuming some of the
>> browsers on my machine are html 5 equipped, maybe some one could tell me how
>> to check for this?
>>
>> I also tried on Windows  2000 and it did not work but I guess no one else is
>> running old versions like this.
>>
>> Has anyone else been able to get this running on Linux without proprietary
>> software?
>
> I've tried on a Kubuntu Linux with a fresh Firefox download just now
> from the Firefox web site (without any flash plugin) and eLua web
> builder is working well. It is using HTML 5.
>
> []s
>
> Mauricio
>

>> Thanks for reading-Patrick

Patrick Mc(avery Patrick Mc(avery

Re: WebBuilder and Flash//HTML 5

On 11-12-29 07:21 AM, Vagner nascimento wrote:
Hello James and Patrick,

You are right, but  the reason why flash was put first of Html5 was: one year ago not all browsers had full support of HTML5 and when we tested with some that 'supported' some problems happened.
However, seems me it is a good time to test the new version of Plupload (WebBuilder was not updated yet) with current browsers. I'll do that.

Thanks for the feedback,

Vagner

Hi Vagner

I was hoping to use web builder in the tutorial I had planned tonight so I played around with some things today, I just wanted to feedback in case it was useful.

I have not been able to set up firefox yet(thanks for the suggestion Mauicio ! ) The prebuilt binaries are not working for me. It could be because Trisquel runs the linux-libre kernel:
http://www.fsfla.org/svnwiki/selibre/linux-libre/
compiling firefox from source looks painful, I am hoping to find another option.

I posted a question on the Trisquel list and one user has helped out quite a bit. He said that Plupload did work with drupal on Trisquel but he had to change some settings and he can't remember which now.

He suggested I install quickjava on abrowser. I have gnash installed and it tells sites that I have flash installed when I don't. I used quickjava to disable flash/gnash and the file upload dialog appeared as it should. When I tried to upload a file that worked under Linux Mint, it failed. the dialog showed it as undefined.

I will try some other things out and report back.

Thanks

Patrick Mc(avery Patrick Mc(avery

Re: WebBuilder and Flash//HTML 5

Hi Vagner

I have found a guardian angel on the Trisquel list! He said it was okay for me to repost his writings here:

Here is one from 8 A.M :
"""

I think you used the Flash widget with Mint because that uploader looks for available widgets in the following order:
'flash,gears,silverlight,browserplus,html5'.
I found the change I made on my site and I used:
'html5,flash,html4'.

Which explains why it shows the Flash frontend instead of an HTML 5 one.

I tested on a Fedora live CD which does not include Flash and has Firefox 7. As expected it defaults to the HTML5 widget, but it fails in the same way as I mentioned before.

I had a look with Mint 11 and the CD I've got has Firefox 4 and no Flash by default. It used the html5 frontend and I could upload files there by dragging.

Then I updated Mint 11's Firefox to 8 and it fails in the same way as Fedora and Trisquel when Flash is disabled.

I get the following error:

A.name is undefined
http://builder.eluaproject.net/web/lib/jquery/plupload/js/plupload.full.min.js
Line 1

across all three distros when I try to upload with Flash disabled.

It seems like something in the newer versions of Firefox (and therefore abrowser) breaks Plupload in HTML 5 mode. I don't know if eLua is using an old version of Plupload and if they can do something about this.

"""

and here is one from 10:30 A.M :

"""

Just to be absolutely sure, I managed to track down a Windows 7 computer.

The results:
- Firefox 5 and Flash: upload works
- Firefox 5 without Flash, using html5: upload works
- Firefox 8 and Flash: upload works
- Firefox 8 without Flash, using html5: upload fails as above

So I'm pretty sure now that HTML 5 mode in Firefox >5 has an issue with either Plupload or with the version eLua uses (more likely).

I also found this: https://github.com/moxiecode/plupload/issues/396

"""

Hope this helps-Patrick

On 12-01-02 09:23 PM, Vagner nascimento wrote:
> Hello Patrick,
> We have updated Plupload version and set the order using HTML5 as the
> first option (thanks Carlos), and if you can try again and report
> (again) the results in your enviroment will be great.
>
> Thanks again,
>
> Vagner

Hi Vagner

Yes, it works perfectly!!

Thanks you so much. I hope to do a screencast tutorial this week that
will include eLua Builder.

Thanks again-Patrick