Updated Bleeding Edge Doc

I've merged changes from our master branch with changes to the doc
builder for the newer site and pushed those changes up to the site, so
now it is possible to get to updated doc at the following location:
http://www.eluaproject.net/doc/master/en_index.html

This includes documentation of the current API for the timers(
http://www.eluaproject.net/doc/master/en_refman_gen_tmr.html ), added
module documentation for the lcd module on Mizar32 (
http://www.eluaproject.net/doc/master/en_refman_ps_mizar32_lcd.html ),
typo fixes and a few other changes.

I'll likely merge the "newsite" branch (already current with master
branch) shortly, and we can prep a mechanism to automatically make
sure the development docs get updated at regular intervals, or
hopefully on-demand when changes occur.

-jsnyder
Vagner nascimento Vagner nascimento

Vagner nascimento Vagner nascimento

Brent Picasso Brent Picasso

New user introduction!

Hello!

Just signed up on the list and wanted to introduce myself and some projects I've been working on.

Last night I installed eLua on an mbed module I've been sitting on for quite a while. Super impressed with how well it works!! Love the ROM filesystem implementation, the hardware integration and especially the tiny RAM mods!

In the process of developing an intelligent RaceCar data acquisition / control system, I wanted an easy to use way to control behaviours in the system that would affect race car operation. e.g.:

"activate warning light if RPM > 8000"
"change logging frequency to 100Hz if within these GPS coordinates"
"reduce engine power if slippage between driven wheels (traction control)"
"adjust aerodynamic wing to 80% angle if GPS speed > 120KPH and not cornering (accelerometer X channel < .2g)"

and so on. I *DID NOT* want to create a GUI boolean logic builder- the thought makes me cringe - so Lua was chosen as an easy to use scripting language. I separately ported Lua to the Atmel SAM7s256 micro we're using in the design. So far it's worked well in conjunction with FreeROTS - but after a lot of work refining my memory management issues.

In my port I provided a simple way to upload a lua script and flash it to a special memory segment (not a file system, just a buffer in memory). Does the eLua project support flashing scripts?

Also, has the SAM7s been considered for a port for the eLua project? has it simply not been picked up yet, or were technological constraints perceived?

Brent Picasso
Autosport Labs
Technology for Race and Street
autosportlabs.com | twitter.com/AutosportLabs

Thiago Naves Thiago Naves

Re: New user introduction!

On Sat, Dec 3, 2011 at 6:12 PM, Brent Picasso <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hello!
>
> Just signed up on the list and wanted to introduce myself and some projects
> I've been working on.
>
> Last night I installed eLua on an mbed module I've been sitting on for quite
> a while. Super impressed with how well it works!! Love the ROM filesystem
> implementation, the hardware integration and especially the tiny RAM mods!
>
> In the process of developing an intelligent RaceCar data acquisition /
> control system, I wanted an easy to use way to control behaviours in the
> system that would affect race car operation. e.g.:
>
> "activate warning light if RPM > 8000"
> "change logging frequency to 100Hz if within these GPS coordinates"
> "reduce engine power if slippage between driven wheels (traction control)"
> "adjust aerodynamic wing to 80% angle if GPS speed > 120KPH and not
> cornering (accelerometer X channel < .2g)"
>
> and so on. I *DID NOT* want to create a GUI boolean logic builder- the
> thought makes me cringe - so Lua was chosen as an easy to use scripting
> language. I separately ported Lua to the Atmel SAM7s256 micro we're using in
> the design. So far it's worked well in conjunction with FreeROTS - but after
> a lot of work refining my memory management issues.
>
> In my port I provided a simple way to upload a lua script and flash it to a
> special memory segment (not a file system, just a buffer in memory). Does
> the eLua project support flashing scripts?

No. We can upload files to the RAM or to the /semi file system on mbed
or to a MMC via xmodem

> Also, has the SAM7s been considered for a port for the eLua project? has it
> simply not been picked up yet, or were technological constraints perceived?

eLua has ports to AT91SAM7X256 and AT91SAM7X512.
You can view the status of all supportes platforms at
http://www.eluaproject.net/doc/v0.8/en_status.html

> Brent Picasso
> Autosport Labs
> Technology for Race and Street
> autosportlabs.com | twitter.com/AutosportLabs

Brent Picasso Brent Picasso

Re: New user introduction!

Thanks for the quick reply. I interpreted the SAM7x port being incompatible with the SAM7s - admittedly I haven't worked with the SAM7X - will it require a recompile or should the binary work right away?

Brent

Connected by DROID on Verizon Wireless

On Sat, Dec 3, 2011 at 6:12 PM, Brent Picasso wrote:
> Hello!
>
> Just signed up on the list and wanted to introduce myself and some projects
> I've been working on.
>
> Last night I installed eLua on an mbed module I've been sitting on for quite
> a while. Super impressed with how well it works!! Love the ROM filesystem
> implementation, the hardware integration and especially the tiny RAM mods!
>
> In the process of developing an intelligent RaceCar data acquisition /
> control system, I wanted an easy to use way to control behaviours in the
> system that would affect race car operation. e.g.:
>
> "activate warning light if RPM > 8000"
> "change logging frequency to 100Hz if within these GPS coordinates"
> "reduce engine power if slippage between driven wheels (traction control)"
> "adjust aerodynamic wing to 80% angle if GPS speed > 120KPH and not
> cornering (accelerometer X channel < .2g)"
>
> and so on. I *DID NOT* want to create a GUI boolean logic builder- the
> thought makes me cringe - so Lua was chosen as an easy to use scripting
> language. I separately ported Lua to the Atmel SAM7s256 micro we're using in
> the design. So far it's worked well in conjunction with FreeROTS - but after
> a lot of work refining my memory management issues.
>
> In my port I provided a simple way to upload a lua script and flash it to a
> special memory segment (not a file system, just a buffer in memory). Does
> the eLua project support flashing scripts?

No. We can upload files to the RAM or to the /semi file system on mbed
or to a MMC via xmodem

> Also, has the SAM7s been considered for a port for the eLua project? has it
> simply not been picked up yet, or were technological constraints perceived?

eLua has ports to AT91SAM7X256 and AT91SAM7X512.
You can view the status of all supportes platforms at
http://www.eluaproject.net/doc/v0.8/en_status.html

> Brent Picasso
> Autosport Labs
> Technology for Race and Street
> autosportlabs.com | twitter.com/AutosportLabs

Thiago Naves Thiago Naves

Re: New user introduction!

On Sat, Dec 3, 2011 at 9:22 PM, Brent Picasso <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Thanks for the quick reply. I interpreted the SAM7x port being incompatible
> with the SAM7s - admittedly I haven't worked with the SAM7X - will it
> require a recompile or should the binary work right away?

I actually read wrong and thought you wrote sam7x...sorry about that.
But, as they both are a ARM7TDMI architecture, it may be an easy port.
A quick search showed that those are highly code compatible.
I just did a quick comparison between the AT91SAM7S64 and the
AT91SAM7x256 header files and they are almost identical.

In fact as I was writing this email I decided to try to build to the
AT91SAM7s256 .... I replaced the AT91SAM7x256 files with the files for
the SAM7S and after a fiew tweeks it built =)

So, here is the image. Give it a try and letme know if worked ( as I
have no way to test this ).
I have no idea if its going to work.

Thiago

> Brent
>
> Connected by DROID on Verizon Wireless

elua_lua_at91sam7s256.bin (236K) Download Attachment
elua_lua_at91sam7s256.elf (458K) Download Attachment
Brent Picasso Brent Picasso

Re: New user introduction!

Thanks for the binary! I will give it a try when I get back to ny workbench.

If you can push your tweaks to a branch I could pull them down and make further fixes as necessary - perhaps we can get another port on the list!

I dug into the differences between the  Sam7s and the sam7x and one prominent thing that came up was with the USB pullup. The sam7s commonly uses PA16 for enabling the USB pullup to match the SAM-BA bootloader. Is this the same on the 7x?

Otherwise it's exciting to hear how compatible the two devices are!

Regards,

On Sun, Dec 4, 2011 at 2:53 AM, Brent Picasso <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Thanks for the binary! I will give it a try when I get back to ny workbench.
>
> If you can push your tweaks to a branch I could pull them down and make
> further fixes as necessary - perhaps we can get another port on the list!

yeah, sure. I'll do some cleanup and try to make this a new platform
instead of overwriting the sam7x256 as I did for generating this for a
test ;)
Then I'll upload it to my fork and send you the link.

> I dug into the differences between the  Sam7s and the sam7x and one
> prominent thing that came up was with the USB pullup. The sam7s commonly
> uses PA16 for enabling the USB pullup to match the SAM-BA bootloader. Is
> this the same on the 7x?

I don't know... I haven't used any of these platforms before...

> Otherwise it's exciting to hear how compatible the two devices are!

Yeah! this was rather trivial... I just replaced the atmel's files for
the sam7x with the ones for sam7s and edited platform.c to remove PIO
port B and PWM 3 and changed 2 includes in board.h and added 2 missing
defines and it built =)

I will be surprised if this run on the first try !

> Regards,
>
> Brent
>
> Connected by DROID on Verizon Wireless

Hi Thiago,

The sam7s accepted the image, but as suspected, the USB pullup line was not enabled via PA16, so the host did not enumerate the device.

Why Atmel chose to waste a PIO for activating the USB pullup instead of providing an internal one is still a mystery to me - it's one item of many questions I'd like to ask their design engineers!

if you could push the code you have to a branch I'd be happy to take a look at it and move it forward!

Thanks,

On Sun, Dec 4, 2011 at 5:39 PM, Brent Picasso <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hi Thiago,

Hi Brent,

> The sam7s accepted the image, but as suspected, the USB pullup line was not
> enabled via PA16, so the host did not enumerate the device.

Hmm...

> Why Atmel chose to waste a PIO for activating the USB pullup instead of
> providing an internal one is still a mystery to me - it's one item of many
> questions I'd like to ask their design engineers!

Yeah, go figure...

> if you could push the code you have to a branch I'd be happy to take a look
> at it and move it forward!

I just did =)

I was working on this right now...
I uploaded this to my fork on github (
https://github.com/naves-thiago/elua/tree/sam7s ) as I would rather
not do this on the official repo at this point.

A fiew things I would like to note here:
This is using the sam7x linker script ( as the image I sent you was )
because I can't make it link with the sam7s script I got from atmel...
I have changed the lib files ( pio.c pwm.c pwmc.c trace.h etc ) to the
ones from atmel ( instead of using the ones from the sam7x port as
before ).
I had to make a fiew changes to these files ( mostly changing include
paths and removing trace stuff ).

Best,
Thiago

> Thanks,
>

> Brent Picasso
> Autosport Labs
> Technology for Race and Street
> autosportlabs.com | twitter.com/AutosportLabs
>
> On 12/03/2011 11:04 PM, Thiago Naves wrote:
>
> On Sun, Dec 4, 2011 at 2:53 AM, Brent Picasso <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
> Thanks for the binary! I will give it a try when I get back to ny workbench.
>
> If you can push your tweaks to a branch I could pull them down and make
> further fixes as necessary - perhaps we can get another port on the list!
>
> yeah, sure. I'll do some cleanup and try to make this a new platform
> instead of overwriting the sam7x256 as I did for generating this for a
> test ;)
> Then I'll upload it to my fork and send you the link.
>
> I dug into the differences between the  Sam7s and the sam7x and one
> prominent thing that came up was with the USB pullup. The sam7s commonly
> uses PA16 for enabling the USB pullup to match the SAM-BA bootloader. Is
> this the same on the 7x?
>
> I don't know... I haven't used any of these platforms before...
>
> Otherwise it's exciting to hear how compatible the two devices are!
>
> Yeah! this was rather trivial... I just replaced the atmel's files for
> the sam7x with the ones for sam7s and edited platform.c to remove PIO
> port B and PWM 3 and changed 2 includes in board.h and added 2 missing
> defines and it built =)
>
> I will be surprised if this run on the first try !
>
> Regards,
>
> Brent
>
> Connected by DROID on Verizon Wireless

Thiago Naves Thiago Naves

Re: New user introduction!

One more thing, I put both linker scripts on the
src/platform/at91sam7s/at91sam7s256 folder.
The flash_sam7x.lds is the one being used. The other 2 are for the sam7s.
You can change this in conf.py ( src/platform/at91sam7s/conf.py )
Also, I've only changed the scons build. The Lua build system will not work.

Thiago

On Sun, Dec 4, 2011 at 5:54 PM, Thiago Naves <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
>> instead of overwriting the sam7x256 as I did for generating this for a
>> test ;)
>> Then I'll upload it to my fork and send you the link.
>>
>> I dug into the differences between the  Sam7s and the sam7x and one
>> prominent thing that came up was with the USB pullup. The sam7s commonly
>> uses PA16 for enabling the USB pullup to match the SAM-BA bootloader. Is
>> this the same on the 7x?
>>
>> I don't know... I haven't used any of these platforms before...
>>
>> Otherwise it's exciting to hear how compatible the two devices are!
>>
>> Yeah! this was rather trivial... I just replaced the atmel's files for
>> the sam7x with the ones for sam7s and edited platform.c to remove PIO
>> port B and PWM 3 and changed 2 includes in board.h and added 2 missing
>> defines and it built =)
>>
>> I will be surprised if this run on the first try !

Taking a look at your sam7s branch this weekend.

looking at the platform code for the sam7s (and sam7x) it seem there's no USB device code present- I was specifically looking for code implementing a USB CDC and couldn't find anything.

Is that sam7x/7s port making the shell available over UART?

if so, would we want to instead expose it over USB, as with the LPC1768?

wrote:

[...]

In the Atmel has a chip library AT91lib that contains CDC RS232 or http://www.atmel.com/dyn/products/product_docs.asp?category_id=163&family_id=605&subfamily_id=1724&part_id=3755

I was working on a simple framework for USB but got pulled off due to number of work related projects.  One project is using Lua and libev.  libev, goal is to use events for I/O using epoll, select or kqueue.  So it is possible to have several 100 or 1000 of sockets, file handles, timers etc. using a simple event loop.  There are several Lua wrappers for libev or libevent.  One wrapper for libevent and uses co-routines/continuations for threading.  i.e http://repo.or.cz/w/luaevent.git

So, the original goal was to use a libevent type of framework to be able to process USB events and possible other IO.

Re: SAM7x/SAM7s USB

Hi Tim,

Thanks. So backing up for a little bit more context: is the SAM7x port indeed currently using UART for the shell? Is any of that USB framework you mentioned in the released code?

Thanks for the Atmel link- I'll dig into that. In my current project I'm using a different USB implementation designed to work with FreeRTOS- I have that working with my own port of Lua.

On Sun, Dec 11, 2011 at 8:12 PM, Brent Picasso <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi Tim,

Thanks. So backing up for a little bit more context: is the SAM7x port indeed currently using UART for the shell?

Yes.

Is any of that USB framework you mentioned in the released code?

Not that I'm aware of. James implemented the console over an USB UART on LM3S - the code is on the master branch, it might help you. Not much though if you can't find a CDC implementation in the Atmel SAM7X library.

[...]

On Sun, Dec 11, 2011 at 2:37 PM, Bogdan Marinescu
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> On Sun, Dec 11, 2011 at 8:12 PM, Brent Picasso <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>>
>> Hi Tim,
>>
>> Thanks. So backing up for a little bit more context: is the SAM7x port
>> indeed currently using UART for the shell?
>

> Yes.
>

>> Is any of that USB framework you mentioned in the released code?
>

> Not that I'm aware of. James implemented the console over an USB UART on
> LM3S - the code is on the master branch, it might help you. Not much though
> if you can't find a CDC implementation in the Atmel SAM7X library.

I'll add some documentation on this very minimal platform support
shortly.  Essentially all I've added is a specialized ID and some
minimal platform support and conventions for when a CDC will handle
some UART services.  It currently should work for LM3S 9B/9D devices.
Other platforms should be able to use these same mechanisms, but I'd
also be happy with more extensive USB support if anyone would like to
propose some sort of API.

I don't have a SAM7x, but regardless I'd be happy to participate in
discussion and some implementation for various other platforms.

I mainly only went as far as CDC because I didn't have need for other
device classes and the USB spec is gigantic, so it's not like there's
a clear approach for adding something one might call "USB support"
without a lot of code.

> Best,
> Bogdan
>

>> Thanks for the Atmel link- I'll dig into that. In my current project I'm
>> using a different USB implementation designed to work with FreeRTOS- I have
>> that working with my own port of Lua.
>>

>> Brent Picasso
>> Autosport Labs
>> Technology for Race and Street
>> autosportlabs.com | twitter.com/AutosportLabs
>>
>> On 12/11/2011 06:48 AM, Tim michals wrote:
>>
>> In the Atmel has a chip library AT91lib that contains CDC RS232 or
>> http://www.atmel.com/dyn/products/product_docs.asp?category_id=163&family_id=605&subfamily_id=1724&part_id=3755
>>
>> I was working on a simple framework for USB but got pulled off due to
>> number of work related projects.  One project is using Lua and libev.
>> libev, goal is to use events for I/O using epoll, select or kqueue.  So it
>> is possible to have several 100 or 1000 of sockets, file handles, timers
>> etc. using a simple event loop.  There are several Lua wrappers for libev or
>> libevent.  One wrapper for libevent and uses co-routines/continuations for
>> threading.  i.e http://repo.or.cz/w/luaevent.git
>>
>> So, the original goal was to use a libevent type of framework to be able
>> to process USB events and possible other IO.
>>

>> ________________________________

sweetlilmre sweetlilmre

Re: SAM7x/SAM7s USB

Hi,

This is very interesting as I have some cheap ($25) SAM7S512 header boards I got off ebay that I would love to use with eLua.
Also USB / UART support would go a long way to making the NetDuino a suitable eLua target (I think SPI and I2C are still missing tho).
Not sure if / how I can help out but let me know if I can do anything to assist.

-(e)

Thiago Naves Thiago Naves

Re: New user introduction!

On Sun, Dec 11, 2011 at 4:28 AM, Brent Picasso <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi Thiago,

Taking a look at your sam7s branch this weekend.

looking at the platform code for the sam7s (and sam7x) it seem there's no USB device code present- I was specifically looking for code implementing a USB CDC and couldn't find anything.

Yes, I think we have no USB support on those yet...

Is that sam7x/7s port making the shell available over UART?

Yes, I think so.

if so, would we want to instead expose it over USB, as with the LPC1768?

I think so. I'll try to take a look at it later.

Thiago

Thanks,
Brent Picasso
Autosport Labs
Technology for Race and Street
autosportlabs.com<span onmouseout="cancel = false; window.setTimeout(WRCHideContent, 1000); clearTimeout(showTimer);" onmouseover=" var self = this; showTimer = window.setTimeout(function(){WRCShowContent({&#39;rating&#39;:{&#39;value&#39;:-1,&#39;weight&#39;:-1},&#39;flags&#39;:{},&#39;single&#39;:false,&#39;ttl&#39;:7200,&#39;expireTime&#39;:&#39;20111206181418&#39;}, self.className)},600);" class="wrc0" style="padding-right:16px;width:16px;height:16px"> | twitter.com/AutosportLabs<span onmouseout="cancel = false; window.setTimeout(WRCHideContent, 1000); clearTimeout(showTimer);" onmouseover=" var self = this; showTimer = window.setTimeout(function(){WRCShowContent({&#39;rating&#39;:{&#39;value&#39;:95,&#39;weight&#39;:100},&#39;flags&#39;:{&#39;social&#39;:1},&#39;single&#39;:false,&#39;ttl&#39;:3600,&#39;expireTime&#39;:&#39;20111123174413&#39;}, self.className)},600);" class="wrc13" style="padding-right:16px;width:16px;height:16px">

https://github.com/naves-thiago/elua/tree/sam7s<span onmouseout="cancel = false; window.setTimeout(WRCHideContent, 1000); clearTimeout(showTimer);" onmouseover=" var self = this; showTimer = window.setTimeout(function(){WRCShowContent({&#39;rating&#39;:{&#39;value&#39;:95,&#39;weight&#39;:73},&#39;flags&#39;:{&#39;it&#39;:1},&#39;single&#39;:true,&#39;ttl&#39;:3600,&#39;expireTime&#39;:&#39;20111123180629&#39;}, self.className)},600);" class="wrc13" style="padding-right:16px;width:16px;height:16px"> ) as I would rather