Toolchains

 Hello,
   Thanks for the tutorial correction John. I've just fixed it on the doc.
   About the "Toolchain Transplant" :), we've done it (under Ubuntu 8.04)
succesfully for the ARM elf version (tested on STR711 ARM7) but for some
other "spiritual" reason :-o, it refuses to work for the ARM Cortex version.
Pedro and Fernando had the same problem and fixed it with different
solutions but I can't tell you exactly what was happening.
   The idea of simply unpacking a working toolchain to the right place,
adding some dirs to PATH and making sure a set of packages are installed, is
indeed atractive. Unfortunately life is not always that easy and misterious
evil forces fight against it :)
Bogdan found, for example, that the procedure to flash our AVR32 kit
(EK-1100) was in conflict with some Braile sw, pre-installed by Ubuntu (part
of the distro) and we had to uninstall it to make it work (this is on the
AVR32 tutorial). So it seems that it may depend too much on what people have
on their machines at the time of the "transplant".
   Toolchain building is one factor that have been keeping (at least here)
new potential users away from eLua. I've been trying to help with some
solutions. I've mentioned the "transplant" on the doc (although I have not
yet made available any compressed file for download) and I also offered
acess to a VM hosted in our lab, for those who want to build eLua remotely.
   We count on you all for this kind of help for eLua. Thanks!!

Dado

2009/2/20 John Hind <john.hind at zen.co.uk>

> I finally got both the ARM Cortex and i386 toolchains up, successfully
> built
> eLua with both and booted my own i386 build on the PC. Very impressive
> Bogdan!
>
> Some notes:
>
> Should I be worried about warning messages during these toolchain builds
> (NB
> not eLua - that builds very clean)? There seem to be rather a lot of quite
> scary sounding warnings and I am more used to source code that disables any
> warnings that should be ignored.
>
> There is an error in the "Building GCC for i386" page:  In Step 3: Newlib,
> in the "build" command "-fdata-sections-DPREFER_SIZE_OVER_SPEED" should be
> "-fdata-sections -D__PREFER_SIZE_OVER_SPEED".
>
> I was wondering if there is any reason (technical, legal, spiritual) why we
> should not simply post archives of the "cross-xxxx" folders of tested
> toolchains? I know it would spoil a lot of good clean fun, but it would
> also
> save a lot of time!
>
> Thanks everyone who helped!
>
> - John

An HTML attachment was scrubbed...

Toolchains

... also, comming back to the license issues, I'm not sure if we are allowed
to freely distribute built toolchains without the whole docs and licenses of
the original projects.
    Yes, I do hate *them* too ... :)